• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord General Discussion Mk.V

Just say that it's unknown and that most interpretations agree that time stop and death manipulation spells are generally his usual weapons.

I mean, we have evidence of him using Time Stop on an unknown and relatively equal opponent, and dialogue of Ainz contemplating using it on another enemy, but figuring that because they're both Dragon Lords, that his opponent would resist, due to the previous Dragon Lord resisting it.

IIRC Narberal also lifted a skeletal dragon. Athletic human make no scence at all

Narberal avoided the earthshaking blow from the left, but the Skeletal Dragon on the right swiped its forepaw at her as well.

"Guhhh!"

She raised her sword to block the Skeletal Dragon's swipe. Although the paw's crushing pressure was extraordinary, Narberal still stood strong underneath it, and even forced it away. The right-side Skeletal Dragon stumbled several steps back, causing a brief lull in the action.

Anyway she still physicaly overpowered it

We also have an author statement that you need resistance to both time magic and death magic to have a fair fight against Ainz. Overall, there are several pieces of evidence which support adding time stop to Ainz's Standard Tactics, and none against it so far.

Also tertiary evidence is when the mechanics of Time Stop are being explained, it says that Ainz practiced until he was part of the very small percentage who could delay a spell so that it activates the instant Time Stop ends.

If he practiced it that much, to the point where only a small number of people can do it, then I have a feeling he would use it in an actual fight if he could.

Id note his three favored opening moves at this point, through volume twelve through thirteen he favors {Death} we have a statement and previous evidence that he has a prefrence for {Grasp heart} And a willingness to use {time stop} against new opponents. A fina note that he's liable to enter combat against a powerful/unkown opponent with despair aura active.

Narberal is a caster, she was having trouble dealing with them. Khajiit's assessment of her being mithril/orichalcum should have been close to her real physical capabilities as even Gagaran says she can handle 2 skeletal dragons. Author for some reason was dividing mage levels by 3 to get warrior equivalent while he was talking about Climb vs Succulent, coincidentally 100/3 = level 33 warrior (Ainz). Also human profiles should actually have poison resistance as their resistance rises through level to the point of Brain's body "rendered the average poison ineffective" (mentioned in volume 5) Author mentions it in his notes too

The reason high level humans have a high resist rate to poison and illness is for a similar reason. That is to say Level Up (Growth [seichou]), please perceive it as the evolution [shinka] into a superior living [joui no ikimono] thing. It's the first step to becoming Superman [choujin]. They aren't humans, those people, the New World's humans and our world's humans are different.

https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/170524/blogkey/833384/

I updated Cure Elim lifting strength. I don't know why it was unknown. He can carry around at least 400000 zombies (even if he controls them, they still have their weight) and he should be comparable to floor guardians of Nazarik

Should I make an speed upgrade thread for Overlord considering the lightning in Overlord is real lightning and there is a lightning reaction feat there?

So it's:

Khajiit peaks his head out from behind Skeletal dragon ---> Uses [Acid Javelin] --> Narberal uses [Lightning] --> Khajiit's spell gets automatically countered by Narberal's defense while at the same time Skeletal dragon blocks the lightning with it's tail

If it dodged this would count as aim dodging, it could have just moved slightly to cover up the now explosed Khajiit and easily nullify the spell but it used it tail for some reason, which makes me imagine it meeting the bolt with it's tail which isn't hard since Narberal is quite literally aiming with her finger. Imo not a clear feat and even if it was this falls into outlier, since it would put fodder at 1/3 the speed of light. Remembers brain speed of light quote

Brain is not described as the speed of light with his ultimate move, rather the speed of lightning

Fun fact the official translation is actually a little more convincing in saying Brain is the speed of lightning:

Fan translation: There was a single word to describe the speed of this movement — lightning. By the time one saw it, one's head would have fallen, so quickly did it take place.

She had caught Brain's lightning-fast strike.

Official translation: If one was to liken its speed to something: a bolt of lightning. By the time the flash registered, the head was falling - that's how fast he was.

Shaltear had caught it - his strike that was as fast as a bolt of lightning.

But obviosly we need to stick to one translation, and people get in a hissy about the official one

A-little joke, old translation,

[Shalltear had caught it with her fingers. —a slash near the speed of light.]

that was talked about here before I was registered, other sites talk about it and even disprove it. Well Nigel fixed it, the group that translated that also put this in

[Shalltear, who was about to swing her Spuit Lance with the speed of light, saw a surprising scene.]

Using one translation is great and all but Nigel isn't foolproof as he translates from Chinese to english after Baidu chinese dudes translate it from Japanese to Chinese. There are times Nigel's translation is high IQ, for example there was a petition by the Overlord reddit to change "King Of Darkness" to "Sorcerer King" for the english official translation and Maruyama even responded to someone asking about it

Q: In the yen press english translation of vol 9. they translated "Madou" to "King of Darkness", isn't that wrong? I thought "Madou" is suppose to be "Sorcerer King"? did u know about this?

A: That question is more in the field of translator-san, however I will answer and say the literal translation of Cocytus's words as King of Darkness is exceedingly close. Sorcerer King or Witch King would be the metaphor

https://twitter.com/maruyama_kugane/status/1090108634367877125

Every other piece of Overlord has it as the Sorcerer King, so that should be the default

Also of course Maruyama would side with the people publishing his books, he's gotta make money

Honestly though, on the topic of the official translation, the only questionable thing i remember is the altering of some names, like Cocco Doll into Cocura or something, not sure if it was just a more literal translation

Other than that it's good

But people get in a fit about it, so we're not going to use it probably

Hate for Yenpress extends to other series, a quick google search or if you lurk on novelupdates. For me they translated Zenberu as Zenbel, unforgivable lol even the anime didn't do that. Other than that they translated Shalltear as a rabbit rather than Lamprey, both the anime and fan translation use the latter. I say 'they' but it's actually one guy/girl that translates the Overlord book, there should be proofreaders though but I forgot their twitter, meh i'll find them...again

Muchacho mrm said:
Hate for Yenpress extends to other series, a quick google search or if you lurk on novelupdates. For me they translated Zenberu as Zenbel, unforgivable lol even the anime didn't do that. Other than that they translated Shalltear as a rabbit rather than Lamprey, both the anime and fan translation use the latter. I say 'they' but it's actually one guy/girl that translates the Overlord book, there should be proofreaders though but I forgot their twitter, meh i'll find them...agai
Don't have volume 4 on me right now, so i can't check about Zenberu, but i can tell you right now the Shalltear one is false

I don't know where people are getting it from

Also about Zenburu, i don't think i would call slightly altering an unimportant side character's name as "unforgiveable"

Also about Zenburu, i don't think i would call slightly altering an unimportant side character's name as "unforgiveable"

Lizard-bros rank higher than most in the series, if you ask me.

Yes one volume focused almost entirely on fodder I couldn't care less about, at least with the invaders of the tomb we didn't waste so much time on getting to know the fodder... Saying that I was quite pleased with the end results of the invaders...

A-lot of people really didn't like volume 4 for some reason, volume 7 is also a moral barrier? I'm pretty sure some people were raging over Ainz killing the invaders and there were memes but the author thinks of it as a barrier, he said this in 2015:

[Thank you very much! ....Did you finally arrive at the second wall? The first wall, [is] Volume 4. And then the second wall, Volume 7....]

https://twitter.com/maruyama_kugane/status/641560334776446976

And said this recently

[This is totally unrelated, but for people who have climbed the wall of Overlord Volume 4 and Volume 7 they will cope with a smile when Maruyama writes a cruel scene.]

https://twitter.com/maruyama_kugane/status/958685030389186560

And then there was Maruyama tweeting a how to survive Nazarick guide and some other stuff around the time volume 7 episodes were airing, to get ahead of people that would rage over the workers getting killed/tortured

there were plenty of signs of how evil and potentially cruel Ainz was gonna be

People were just willfully ignorant if they got mad about the workers

True, but following the anime route you'll feel that he is okay, doing good then turns evil as the season go by. This is why most that rage over are animeonly, I remember a youtube comment with people actually agreeing that Overlord ending 3 is part of the whole 'Ainz slowly losing his humanity trio' if you listen to the other endings or something like that. Meh, author calls him a tsundere in his volume 1 notes, so I guess season 1 only people aren't that wrong.

I don't know, some people I've seen already knew he was evil, but just find the whole reasoning and sequence of events that made the Workers end up there and Ainz attitude about it. But yeah, most are just "but he so yucky evul so suddenly!"

As for me, I quite enjoy the "fodder" and seeing more from their side. If it was just nazarick shenanigans it would be pretty boring for me.

I enjoyed the workers part not so much the lizard men, not because of crulty simply because I didn't really care/have interest in the lizard men. The workers was exactly what I enjoy seeing good people strugling and being trampled underfoot.

edit I don't mind seeing fodder/their backstory I just don't feel we need an entire volume dedicated to them, half a volume seems like itd be enough to get across the fodder characters.

Anime had him at least implied he captured the Sunlight Scripture to torture, him practically forcing the granny to give everything to him in exchange for saving Nfirea, aka an ultimatum, him only saving Nfirea because it would boost his reputation when he just wanted to study the crown iirc, the killing of the adventurer guy that went with him for Shalltear, and the entire Lizardman situation, and possibly the torturing of Hilda but i don't know if he knew about it

There were plenty of signs even in the anime imo

Also Muchacho, I have my version of the official translation next to me and it says lamprey

So idk what to say

Back