• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

OPM Speeds (Atomic Slash)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making this thread as a last Hail Mary in an attempt to prevent what I (rightly or wrongly) perceived as a grievous highballing of character speed in OPM.

My last Thread, started off as a downgrade until further notice, in regards to One Punch Man character speeds. But with the release of a new chapter a new speed feat arose that quickly overturned my initial goal.

I have since been convinced that OPM characters are faster than I initially thought.

However, I have come to the conclusion that Atomic Samurai's Atomic Slash, should not be used as a scalable feat, since I believe it, and the speed it is calculated at, are unique to him. It is his special ability. Much like a Wolf Fang Fist (Dragon Ball) or Lion's Barrage (Naruto), I believe it is a physical combo move, that unleashes several strikes upon the foe in a relatively short time.

http://i.imgur.com/8f6DR7w.jpg

Scaling the other S-Class Heroes to Melz who is scaled around Atomic Samurai's base attack speed is fine, but scaling them to his Atomic Slash is faulty because they show no similar speeds. Atomic Slash is not a casual strike or a simple combo of normal strikes, it is a specific move with a name and cinematic animation. It is like the finishing moves in many fighting games, and is likely a parody of such moves since OPM is often used to parody many tropes and cliches.

Atomic Slash:

AtomicSlash.gif

While Melz does indeed react to Atomic Samurai's attacks earlier on. It is clearly shown here, that he is overtaken and struck dozens of times before being able to react or even move an inch. In fact he barely reacts to Atomic Samurai appearing behind him with naught but an "Oh crap" expression.

What I think this effects:

I think this invalidates all attempts to scale Melz and any other S-Class Hero to Atomic Samurai's calculated speed during his signature move: Atomic Slash. (This is not to say that there are no characters faster than him. Just that no one can scale to this feat because it is his Supermove, his Finisher, etc. It isn't his casual striking speed. And more Importantly, No one as of yet has been shown to react to it. Not Melz nor Haragiri. He activates it, and they die.)

while I'd think that the fact that it says 'special' on Atomic Slash's box in the OPM data book should be enough to persuade anybody it's not a casual combo but a special signature move, the translated words under 'Special' are 'at the same time' - so it obviously has to be a super special move, since if it was a series of normal attacks one by one and 'at the same time', then his speed would be infinity and beyond

AMM and I already had an extensive discussion with you to which you conceded on multiple occasions.

Nothing at all suggests that Atomic Slash is a technique that enhances speed. Especially not a move that enhances the user's speed by thousands of times.

Atomic Slash is simply him slashing a bunch of times. It's a combination. Not some special technique that explicitly enhances one's speed, or does so to the massive extents you're suggesting.

I'm sorry but it seems like at this point you're trying anything to make this upgrade not happen. First in chat you said Samurai was a top tier almost no one scales to, that was proven to not be true. Then you said Atomic Samurai completely blitzed Melz the whole fight, that was proven to not be true.

And now you are making entirely baseless assumptions about how a certain technique works, and suggesting that one combination of his strikes somehow is thousands of times than his other combos.

I do not support this, and not to sound harsh but will likely close the thread if you don't bring up something that AMM and I didn't already go into detail discussing with you in chat.

You convinced me on several levels. But after rewatching and rewatching the fight and Atomic Samurai's actions. I have not been convinced that any of the heroes can scale to this feat. The image in my post, clearly shows Atomic Samurai blitzing Melz.

You are right that Melz and the other S-Class Heroes are right on par with Atomic Samurai in every part of the battle but this move. This move then must be faster, or else Melz would have moved or reacted in some way or another. Once the cutting starts, you see a frozen silhouette of Melz getting diced. There is no reaction.

@Bork I cannot address a plain claim of yours with nothing to back it up.

Not automatically denying you, but could you please link a scan of the guidebook describing this technique in such a way.

And even then, maybe this is a special move of his. But nothing suggests that it amps his speed beyond what he is regularly capable of, and especially not by thousands of times.

Provide evidence that indicates Atomic Samura's speed increases as a result of this technique (akin to kaioken), or stop with your antics. It seems as if you're grasping at straws now.

My evidence is that previously, Melz could react to his attacks. Using Atomic Slash, there is no reaction. Melz is seemingly frozen in time as Atomic Samurai Slashes him dozens of times. Before Melz erupts into chunks. The Gif image shows the blitzing pretty clearly. And as stated before Melz was having no trouble keeping up with Atomic Samurai.

I mean, can we prove that Time Stop didn't just massively increase Hit's speed rather than freezing time?

In theory, making Hit move so fast that no one else could regard it?

Not saying i think this or support the upgrade, just stating that feats in animation is always tricky to consider.

Right before that scene Melzalgald keeps pace with Samurai quite well and AS states Melz is giving him a difficult time, meaning Melzalgald can not only react to his attacks but also fight on par with what Atomic Samurai can react to.

Unless we're to now say either Samurai cannot react to Atomic Slash somehow, or that AS enhances his reactions as well. Neither of which were ever stated.

There's also how Atomic Samurai attacked Melzalgald behind his back by surprise and didn't face him right on during then.

Also another thing worth nothing is that Atomic Samurai never explicitly states that he used Atomic Slash during his fight with Hari.

So you're assuming that

• Atomic Slash amps speed
  • Atomic Slash amps speed thousands of times
  • Atomic Slash either amps reactions thousands of times, or Samurai can get blitzed by his own attack
  • That Atomic Samurai even used this technique against Hari
None of this things ever being explicitly stated or shown.

thats not a evidence, anyway, no one in Heroes side was using all his powers (less Pripri prisioner maybe)

I guess that would be a logical consequence that casual or normal Atomic Samurai would not be on par with the reaction of his own special ability. It is not stated but is a valid conclusion to draw if my argument is true.

You are also correct. I am assuming that Atomic Slash was used against Hari. It has the same cinematic. Perhaps that is a weak point in my argument. But it follows the exact same motions. Foe ceases movement, Atomic Samurai moves a small amount and a dark silhouette of the foe is overlapped but dozens of cuts. Then the foe is obliterated.

I have two assumptions. But I would also like to point out that the reverse is an assumption as well. That Melz suddenly ceased being able to react when he previously could and just sat there while Atomic Samurai struck him with a dozen normal (reactable) strikes. Which then would be PIS on Melz's part.

Your argument has more assumptions than mine or AMM's does, and the assumptions are less reasonable.

This attack has never been stated to amp speed or amp speed to that extent.

There's no way Samurai shouldn't be able to react to his Atomic Slash, and nothing suggests this move amps reactions too.

Samurai did not take Melzalgald head on and attacked him from behind while he was off guard.

And the biggest point, you are assuming Atomic Samurai used this technique on Hari when he never says he did.

Keep in mind the Atomic Slash =/= regular attacks thing is literally the main point your argument and what this thread relies on. If this is a "weak point" like you just admitted, then you don't really have anything.

Also why must this be PIS for Melzalgald? If Mel could consistently dodge, react to and keep up with him, and now suddenly AS randomly blitzed, why couldn't that be PIS for Samurai to just get that much more powerful out of nowhere?

You keep saying this Atomic Slash is AS's ultimate technique that increases his abilities to such severe extents. Then wouldn't the fact he stated he used this on Mel yet not on Hari, just indicate that Mel was extremely fast? Given AS had to use this trump card on him and not Hari?

I agree with Ryukama. His point is hard to refute without supporting evidence of this claim. I suggest you stop with the ad nausea and provide a translation or something canon and substantial for us to look at.

You can close this thread.

I cannot find sufficient supporting evidence that Atomic Slash was used on Haragiri. The attack looks nearly identical, but every single other usage of the Signature Move has it labeled on screen/panel. However, this instance does not.

I do not like or agree with the fact that the calculations will then be used to increase the speed of virtually every other OPM character through scaling. But my likes are irrelevant to the profiles of the characters here. Majority has the final say.

-Eso

@Esoteric thank you for kindly conceding and trying to be reasonable regardless of how you personally feel.

I appreciate/respect that and will close this thread like you've said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back