• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece General Discussion: Egghead

I will keep saying this as I still haven't seen anything wrong with the statement

One piece has one of the best art via having alot of soul/life, characteristics and depth

This is also similar to a complement that vagabond creator gave to the art style of one piece if I remember correctly which made me believe in that statement even more 🙈

I'm not that knowledgeable in manga stuff tho

I will keep saying this as I still haven't seen anything wrong with the statement

One piece has one of the best art via having alot of soul/life, characteristics and depth

This is also similar to a complement that vagabond creator gave to the art style of one piece if I remember correctly which made me believe in that statement even more 🙈

I'm not that knowledgeable in manga stuff tho
Screen_Shot_2022-03-04_at_2.46.57_PM.png

878-OP.png

Like I don't see how this art style is anywhere near bad... Also sheeeesh 👁️

•••• Mr. Inoue, how do you see Mr. Oda's art?

Inoue: It's full of an appeal that is the complete opposite of my work. It's full of life, and has the power to draw readers to specific points. Comparatively, I’m an artist that likes "subtraction". I try to fill things in as little as possible and leave something to the negative space. There is a lot of that in The Last Manga Exhibition. But, I really admire the way Mr. Oda fills his work in. I don't feel any sense that corners are being cut at all. It must be extremely difficult to shrink your work down to tankobon size, right?

Last edited:
I think it's because you don't want to believe that I was right... So you're deceiving yourself to not accept your loss with what I showed and said to you with art
Maybe he's staying true to his name :unsure:
I have a question regarding One Piece, and don't take it as disrespect but how in the hell do you guys get over Oda's "terrible artwork"? (imo), every single time I've read One Piece i couldn't get through at most a couple chapters just because of how ugly the artwork is, be it character designs, paneling or just the general art quality (especially now)
Paneling i defenetly agree that it can get really bad. Or how some pages get bombarded with speech/thought bubbles or text boxes covering most of the artwork. I don't think the characters design is bad. It's more like that we get more goofy looking wierdos than cool goons. Would you call all of these guys' designs as ugly?

I have a question regarding One Piece, and don't take it as disrespect but how in the hell do you guys get over Oda's "terrible artwork"? (imo), every single time I've read One Piece i couldn't get through at most a couple chapters just because of how ugly the artwork is, be it character designs, paneling or just the general art quality (especially now)

Maybe it's because the vast majority of manga I've read have amazing art, and such I've been spoiled, with examples including series like Bleach, Nura - Rise of the Yokai Clan, Pandora Hearts and D.Gray-Man to name a few, but I've also read series with not so great art such as ARAGO, but i was able to see pass this and enjoy the series despite its artistic flaws, i just can't do the same with One Piece.

Is it because you're able to see past the artwork and enjoy the story Oda creates, something i seemingly can't do, or do you actually believe the artwork isn't that bad? i'm genuinely curious about what your guy's opinions are about this topic.
Ironically what @MonkeyOfLife said is kinda true:
Sometimw you don't need an such of amazing arts to deliver the good story, as long you put all your heart to it and entertain the folks who readed it, it's all worth it
One Piece arts is such of a charm, the goofiness of it are the main reason why it's so beloved

This also the reason why i didn't stick a lot with an a series with an amazing arts but not good story, One Punch Man is the prime example of it, sure the fights is insanely rad, the characters design of it went hard, the female chars on it are so charming you want to have a se-i mean admire them, but the story itself aren't the gteatest and it's subpar, which is why i seen it inbalanced, same can be said to Bleach (early Bleach until Aizen arc are great ngl)
It's hard to find a series with an amazing arts that also have an amazing story for me

I personally really like the art even if it's not super detailed or flashy, I've read things like Berserk where the art is astounding but the story doesn't really go anywhere sometimes.
Here, the art looks good, and the story is great and consistent (usually).

Me personally, I prefer the taste (story) more than the appearance (art). If a series has a wonderful story and a decent art style for my taste, then I'll be able to read it perfectly fine and enjoy it (heck there are some series that I have read that while having incredible art work, kinda just feel empty, or the story is mid as hell). While there are plenty of series with greater artistic depth then One Piece imo, One Piece more than makes up for it with the amount of life Oda puts into his characters, that while plenty of them might not be aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, the life in them more than makes up for it and I can still enjoy and love. Queen for example is a character that while aesthetically I don't really like, his energy and attitude and the way Oda draws his moments makes me like him a lot.

To summarize my opinion, I prefer story over art and while plenty of manga and series have arguably better art in terms of aesthetics, the life he puts into his drawings is so godly that it allows his art to rival some of the best looking manga ever made (in my opinion lol). And on top of that, he's able to make straight fire looking characters (Zoro, Sanji, Law, Lucci, Katakuri, King), and even the goofy characters are sometimes badass to me. Like I might have talked a little bit of smack to Goda's art aesthetic, but if he truly put his all into it, he can draw some actual masterpieces.

Like bro, I can freaking feel the sheer good vibes Oda emits whenever he draws One Piece, and that shit cheers me up lol.

I will say that while the paneling nowadays is pretty rough, I've never had difficulty understanding the pages, I just take a bit to let it all sink in.

But if you can't enjoy the story because of the art and you can't overlook it, that's perfectly fine Deceived, everyone has their different tastes.

Goda has to be doing something right for being able to make the best selling manga of all time, and the second best selling comic book series of all time 😎.

You better watch out man of steel, The Sun God Nika is right behind you!

I mean, just comparing Oda's art from almost 20 years ago to now, you can see a clear decline in quality.
idk, those scenes convey different tones entirely.
The initially Lucci vs Luffy clash was fully focused on the fight, the intensity of how even they were, the shockwave creating those focus lines, etc..

The same scene 20 years later is done differently.
It's less about the clash and more about the reveal happening during it. We're witnessing it from the perspective of Vegapunk/SH's, who are far less occupied with the fight than they are with the main focus that is Luffy/Nika's existence as a whole. The intensity of the fight isn't needed because it isn't the point.

I both agree and disagree. Oda's art evolved, but it also got simpler. He doesn't rely on extra shades and tones anymore, he just draws the scene naturally and adds minimal screentoning. As an artist (who's also making his own comic) I can see both sides of the argument but still think Oda's art has overall grown better.
You wouldn't see someone with the details of Kaido's dragon form drawn consistently with the scales, etc- you wouldn't see Kid's steel structures drawn as detailed then as you would now. You can literally count the gears and pipes on that stuff if you wanted to. His art's more detailed when it needs to be, but overall focuses on expressiveness

Thanks for all the replies, it seems the common opinion is that the art really isn't that "bad" and even if it's kinda average/sub-par the charm behind it and the story Oda creates keeps you interested in reading the manga. Even though i still believe Oda's art is "terrible" personally, i can respect these opinions and understand why people like it.

I don't think the characters design is bad. It's more like that we get more goofy looking wierdos than cool goons. Would you call all of these guys' designs as ugly?
I wouldn't necessarily call those designs "ugly" per say (though i would definitely call Franky's and Kizaru's designs ugly, because them mfs ugly) but rather "sub par" or "average" would be a better word?. It's probably just personal taste in what i consider as "good" character designs, with examples including characters like Rikuo Nura from Nura - Rise of the Yokai Clan, Black Rabbit from Pandora Hearts or Knives from Trigun for more context.

It's probably just personal taste in what i consider as "good" character designs, with examples including characters like Rikuo Nura from Nura - Rise of the Yokai Clan, Black Rabbit from Pandora Hearts or Knives from Trigun for more context.
Nahh those aren't good character designs... Those are good art... That's like using this to say zoro has good character design just because of this one instance where it's good art
6083a74d3b131681820777191ca8471557080ccd.jpg

Something like this is what you show for character design 🙈
bg-chara.jpg
main_rikuo.jpg

Kizaru's designs ugly, because them mfs ugly
Ain't no way kizaru design ugly
kizaru__original__by_monkeyoflife_df14sqt-fullview.png

Nahh those aren't good character designs... Those are good art... That's like using this to say zoro has good character design just because of this one instance where it's good art
They're both? it not only shows the actual design of the character, but it also shows the general art quality of the series as well.

Ain't no way kizaru design ugly
His design isn't good, idk what to tell you, if you believe a discount Adam Sandler with Marfan's syndrome, that looks like he's from the 70's is good character design than i can't convince you otherwise.

His design isn't good, idk what to tell you, if you believe a discount Adam Sandler with Marfan's syndrome that looks like he's from the 70's is good character design than i can't convince you otherwise.
So... Ugly characters have bad characters designs...
img0114.jpg
043-1000x750.jpg.webp
f146pj5afkg91.png

I'm not saying that Monkey 🗿.

I'm saying his actual character design (such as facial structure, hair style etc.) and his clothing design is horrible imo.

I'm saying his actual character design (such as facial structure, hair style etc.) and his clothing design is horrible imo.
Hmmmmmm 🤔... Is it because you don't know anything about the character? I mean like ain't no way someone you can remember that much with how they look is a bad character design...

What's a good one piece character design then to you?

Last edited:
Back