• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

On the topic of Raikage and Mifune's speed (Naruto)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All we are saying is, in situations where 光速 is metaphorical, translating it to "lightning-speed" in a figurative sense wouldn't be necessarily wrong.
Yes, Lightspeed would still be considered the most accurate translation, but that wouldn't change the metaphorical translation.

Can you try putting into your head that we ARE ABSOLUTELY N O T saying that it means literal lightning?
Make an effort, for crying out loud.
If you not saying that, then why are you mentioning that "it could mean lightning" when it's already been said that it can't? Say clearly what you are proposing, maybe my English is bad enough and I don't understand the context of your messages or you really mean it.

If you not saying that, then why are you mentioning that "it could mean lightning" when it's already been said that it can't? Say clearly what you are proposing, maybe my English is bad enough and I don't understand the context of your messages or you really mean it.
What language do you speak? If it's Portuguese, then this makes it way easier for me.

anyway, there's three replies of mine just above this one explaining why, while it does NOT literally mean Lightning (I never claimed that), it can be TRANSLATED to Lightning in a figurative sense regardless.

All we are saying is, in situations where 光速 is metaphorical, translating it to "lightning-speed" in a figurative sense wouldn't be necessarily wrong.
Yes, Lightspeed would still be considered the most accurate translation, but that wouldn't change the metaphorical translation.
So you're saying that kanji somertimes can mean "lightning" in a metaphorical sense, and that we have to analyze if this is the case?

So you're saying that kanji somertimes can mean "lightning" in a metaphorical sense, and that we have to analyze if this is the case?
No-
What.

I'm just saying 光速 can be metaphorical.
Yes, the translation to "Lightning" is not wrong, because it matches the metaphorical use of the word.
it does NOT mean Lightning at all, it's figurative.

What language do you speak? If it's Portuguese, then this makes it way easier for me.

anyway, there's three replies of mine just above this one explaining why, while it does NOT literally mean Lightning (I never claimed that), it can be TRANSLATED to Lightning in a figurative sense regardless.
Yes, I'm from Portugal, i don't really understand the context of your message, so if you can explain it to me in Portuguese (is this against the rules?)

Yes, I'm from Portugal, i don't really understand the context of your message, so if you can explain it to me in Portuguese (is this against the rules?)
I don't think so, it's just that one message.
Ótimo.

Eu estou falando que a palavra 光速 pode até significar "Velocidade da Luz", mas a palavra em si pode ser usada de forma figurativa.

"Tenho que terminar meu trabalho na velocidade da luz", como um exemplo.
Em japonês, essa palavra 光速 pode aparecer nessa frase e ela continuaria metafórica. Ou seja, 光速 pode ser usado para descrever algo veloz, usando a luz como referência figurativa, entende?

E justamente por esse motivo que traduzir para "lightning speed" não está errado apesar da palavra não significar isso, porque em inglês, descrever algo como "lightning quick", ou "lightning fast" também atribui um significado figurativo. 光速 pode ser traduzido para Lightning Speed não porque significa isso, e sim para indicar uso figurativo de forma mais clara. E isso também pode acontecer mesmo que traduza para Speed of Light, já que isso não mudaria esse sentido (apesar de ser mais difícil detectar contexto literal ou metafórico assim)

Em suma (TLDR); 光速 pode ser figurativo, e por isso a gente não pode presumir que sempre é literal.

é só isso.

Ótimo.

Eu estou falando que a palavra 光速 pode até significar "Velocidade da Luz", mas a palavra em si pode ser usada de forma figurativa.

Em japonês, essa palavra 光速 pode aparecer nessa frase e ela continuaria metafórica. Ou seja, 光速 pode ser usado para descrever algo veloz, usando a luz como referência figurativa, entende?

E justamente por esse motivo que traduzir para "lightning speed" não está errado apesar da palavra não significar isso, porque em inglês, descrever algo como "lightning quick", ou "lightning fast" também atribui um significado figurativo. 光速 pode ser traduzido para Lightning Speed não porque significa isso, e sim para indicar uso figurativo de forma mais clara. E isso também pode acontecer mesmo que traduza para Speed of Light, já que isso não mudaria esse sentido (apesar de ser mais difícil detectar contexto literal ou metafórico assim)

Em suma (TLDR); 光速 pode ser figurativo, e por isso a gente não pode presumir que sempre é literal.

é só isso.
yes, maybe it just means fast it can also mean something else

Ótimo.

é só isso.
Agora sim consegui entender. Mas é praticamente impossível detectar se é figurativo ou não nesse caso do Issen, e não acho que valha a pena quebrar a cabeça com isso, pois teria que ser feito em vários outros versos também. Enfim, entendi o que você queria dizer agora mas não acho que seja um empecilho.

Agora sim consegui entender. Mas é praticamente impossível detectar se é figurativo ou não nesse caso do Issen, e não acho que valha a pena quebrar a cabeça com isso, pois teria que ser feito em vários outros versos também. Enfim, entendi o que você queria dizer agora mas não acho que seja um empecilho.
Yeah, again, believe or not, I am not against Lightspeed Issen at all. But even so, I thought it might've been relevant to address that, since it can lead to massive outliers in some other verses.

Anyway, it's up for interpretation and how you think the Databook was trying to convey information to the reader that matters here.

Do you think the Databook was giving an exact speed for the attack?
or, do you think the Databook was just describing it as something very fast?

It comes down to this.

again for the summoning speed for hebi sasuke, not his actual speed, and jonin minato (which wasnt his prime).

and sasuke's thing is rel based on this translation:
Now that's just arguing semantics. Generally when people talk about lighting speed their referring to downward stroke. This is also backed up by zetus statement of lighting being around mach 3000. Would make literally 0 sense for hebi sasuke to be 1/3 the speed of light.

And it's not talking about the summoning speed but the speed at which he deploys/throws them. Which is so fast it gives him the initiative in a fight.

Didn't this minato fight the riakage same riakage who claimed minato was the only person who could react to his fastest punch. At least up until kcm naruto

Now that's just arguing semantics. Generally when people talk about lighting speed their referring to downward stroke. This is also backed up by zetus statement of lighting being around mach 3000. Would make literally 0 sense for hebi sasuke to be 1/3 the speed of light.
In Japanese? No, that's not really arguing semantics. They can have either very vague, and very specific words in their vocabulary and how the phrase is structured.
If the Japanese speaker said it meant the flash of the lightning (which is clearly represented by the "light" kanji after lightning Kanji), then it means the Flash of the Lightning, 1/3 of the speed of light.

Zetsu said that lightning can go 1km/s, but didn't say that kirin was that fast

I feel that this Reio has something against Narutoverse, he always joins in discussions and only says wrong things about it, I think his profile picture and his name say it all...

Anyway, I don't want to use Ad hominem here, so: If this Sasuke technique really says he throws shurikens at lightning speed, what's the problem? Madara launched natural lightnings at Naruto and Sasuke, and attacks Naruto with light after, it doesn't matter here, Itachi and Sasuke were just warming up.

About Minato, all his praise in the Databook is due to Hiraishin, his nickname comes from this technique, if you get all his scans and interpret the whole context you will understand this (or not).

We have genins reacting to lightning, Haku getting done MHS+ out of the mirrors, kid Kakashi cutting lightning, feats against the speed of light, and you all the time mentions about lightning speed for Narutoverse?

I guess to bring things back on track we have a few things to discuss:

1) Is Mifune’s technique LS or all Samurai?
For all Samurai: The argument is that the statement is speaking in general about the technique and doesn’t specify it’s for Mifune alone.
For only Mifune: The argument is that the follow up sentence in the descriptor directly references the combination of Meito Kurosawa and Mifune’s swordsmanship, indicating that the brilliance of the technique is connected specifically to Mifune. Among the fact that the description is pointing directly to a scan of Kyuubi-amped Mifune.

2) While Issen’s translation is accepted LS, there seems to be a few people wondering if it’s an outlier or not. Along with this it was brought up we need to see how well this works with the rest of the verse, ie check the scaling for consistency/inconsistency.

3) Who if anyone scales.

I feel that this Reio has something against Narutoverse, he always joins in discussions and only says wrong things about it, I think his profile picture and his name say it all...

Anyway, I don't want to use Ad hominem here, so: If this Sasuke technique really says he throws shurikens at lightning speed, what's the problem? Madara launched natural lightnings at Naruto and Sasuke, and attacks Naruto with light after, it doesn't matter here, Itachi and Sasuke were just warming up.

About Minato, all his praise in the Databook is due to Hiraishin, his nickname comes from this technique, if you get all his scans and interpret the whole context you will understand this (or not).

We have genins reacting to lightning, Haku getting done MHS+ out of the mirrors, kid Kakashi cutting lightning, feats against the speed of light, and you all the time mentions about lightning speed for Narutoverse?
Like i said before if your scaling off data book statements. Let me rephrase that data book hyperboles then that just leads to a lot of speed inconsistencies. If you scale with just the manga the speed is pretty consistent. Top tiers scale around MHS+ considering LS is extremely fast for people like the rikage and tsunada. and only god tiers debatable scale to LS.

Not bias just don't think we should scale speed off a hyperbolic data book.

The kid kakashi thing is debunked by the anime. He knew where the lighting was gonna hit so he was in direct line of fire. Then pre aimed before the lighting even can out. He does not scale to lighting speed

Zetsu said that lightning can go 1km/s, but didn't say that kirin was that fast
He literal said lighting is 1km/s which is about mach 3000. He said because lightning is mach 3000 no one can avoid it. Kirin is natural lighting so he was obviously referring to kirin as well.

Like i said before if your scaling off data book statements. Let me rephrase that data book hyperboles then that just leads to a lot of speed inconsistencies. If you scale with just the manga the speed is pretty consistent. Top tiers scale around MHS+ considering LS is extremely fast for people like the rikage and tsunada. and only god tiers debatable scale to LS.

Not bias just don't think we should scale speed off a hyperbolic data book.

The kid kakashi thing is debunked by the anime. He knew where the lighting was gonna hit so he was in direct line of fire. Then pre aimed before the lighting even can out. He does not scale to lighting speed
We need to throw away an entire freaking book made just to inform the fans because there are hyperbolic statements?
One hyperbolic statement makes every statement afterwards just as hyperbolic? No, of course not.

Databook:
• Goku can destroy a planet
• Beerus can destroy the universe
• Dyspo is far faster than light
• Apples are orange.

OH, OOPS, THERE'S A MISTAKE, I GUESS ALL THE INFORMATION BEFOREHAND IS AUTOMATICALLY NOT TRUE.

I'll just ignore the Reio, he just doesn't say anything useful to the topic.

I guess to bring things back on track we have a few things to discuss:

1) Is Mifune’s technique LS or all Samurai?
For all Samurai: The argument is that the statement is speaking in general about the technique and doesn’t specify it’s for Mifune alone.
For only Mifune: The argument is that the follow up sentence in the descriptor directly references the combination of Meito Kurosawa and Mifune’s swordsmanship, indicating that the brilliance of the technique is connected specifically to Mifune. Among the fact that the description is pointing directly to a scan of Kyuubi-amped Mifune.

2) While Issen’s translation is accepted LS, there seems to be a few people wondering if it’s an outlier or not. Along with this it was brought up we need to see how well this works with the rest of the verse, ie check the scaling for consistency/inconsistency.

3) Who if anyone scales.
About the translation, I had interpreted that it was about Mifune, but after reading what Qliphoth said about it being two sentences, I interpreted that the first sentence speaks the mechanics of the technique and the second uses Mifune as a comparison or something. In the case of Mifune, I interpreted that the phrase is saying that the technique combine with Mifune's sword and swordmanship, something like: "This attack combines with him". Using a different expression, it would be like you seeing a woman in a dress and saying, "That dress combines with her." Something like that, just saying the technique combines with Mifune.

In the case of Outlier, I don't think it would be one, the fact that Madara uses an LS attack doesn't imply that weaker characters can't use too, Madara himself even uses natural lightning in battle, it implies that characters bellow him can't use Raitons or other lightning speeds attacks? I do not think so. And there's no problem with the scale.

About scale, only Sasuke has a feat, and it was calculated and accepted at 0.13c, Relativistic only, and there are few who would scale, there is still Orochi's feat in the novel that can put characters like Konohamaru in Sub-relativistic. And the characters that scale with this feat are the ones currently in Sub-relativistic, it wouldn't be such a huge upgreade in the scale.

I'll just ignore the Reio, he just doesn't say anything useful to the topic.

About the translation, I had interpreted that it was about Mifune, but after reading what Qliphoth said about it being two sentences, I interpreted that the first sentence speaks the mechanics of the technique and the second uses Mifune as a comparison or something. In the case of Mifune, I interpreted that the phrase is saying that the technique combine with Mifune's sword and swordmanship, something like: "This attack combines with him". Using a different expression, it would be like you seeing a woman in a dress and saying, "That dress combines with her." Something like that, just saying the technique combines with Mifune.

In the case of Outlier, I don't think it would be one, the fact that Madara uses an LS attack doesn't imply that weaker characters can't use too, Madara himself even uses natural lightning in battle, it implies that characters bellow him can't use Raitons or other lightning speeds attacks? I do not think so. And there's no problem with the scale.

About scale, only Sasuke has a feat, and it was calculated and accepted at 0.13c, Relativistic only, and there are few who would scale, there is still Orochi's feat in the novel that can put characters like Konohamaru in Sub-relativistic. And the characters that scale with this feat are the ones currently in Sub-relativistic, it wouldn't be such a huge upgreade in the scale.

Shouldn't we just look at the page itself? What's the databook page about?

is it about Mifune? Or the Samurai in general?
Mifune has a totally separate profile in this Databook, so I assume it's the page for the Samurai.
If that's the case, then there's no debate, it's about the samurai.

Shouldn't we just look at the page itself? What's the databook page about?

is it about Mifune? Or the Samurai in general?
Mifune has a totally separate profile in this Databook, so I assume it's the page for the Samurai.
If that's the case, then there's no debate, it's about the samurai.
I took a look, and the mention is on the Samurai page. Yes, Mifune has his own page, and there's nothing about Issen on it, but Issen is mentioned in the page that talks about all Samurais. it's even the last page of information in the Databook.

And the interesting thing is that this page is not in the jutsu section, is in a special section that talk about various things, is called "Konoha One Hundred Leaves Collection" (at least it's like that on the site "Narutoversity").

there is still Orochi's feat in the novel that can put characters like Konohamaru in Sub-relativistic
nobody agreed to sub rel and honestly we need to see what LN do with feats like that and get the rating from that. Sub Rel was literally just out of nowhere. I personally think just baseline Rel would be better.
In the case of Outlier, I don't think it would be one, the fact that Madara uses an LS attack doesn't imply that weaker characters can't use too
Whenever the same databook calls the attack undodgeable bc of its speed it says a lot. When a literal God tier is using the attack because of its speed (that has may more evidence for it being SoL) compared to Fodder having a statement in a databook for a supposedly Sol attack that literal other fodders out pace then yes it screams Outlier.
Madara himself even uses natural lightning in battle, it implies that characters bellow him can't use Raitons or other lightning speeds attacks?
He didn’t use raiton. He used Sage Art: Shadow Style Thunder Blast. A 6paths technique. That’s painfully obviously not lightning speed 😑.

And don’t start with the bs Kizaru argument 2 completely different verses with 2 completely different scaling.

unknown.png

FTL Temari fodder ninja slashes
^ lol and they all got the same sized amp

nobody agreed to sub rel and honestly we need to see what LN do with feats like that and get the rating from that. Sub Rel was literally just out of nowhere. I personally think just baseline Rel would be better.
About Orochi, this was said:

Only thing removed was the justifications for Naruto, Orochi's feats were not rejected.

Whenever the same databook calls the attack undodgeable bc of its speed it says a lot. When a literal God tier is using the attack because of its speed (that has may more evidence for it being SoL) compared to Fodder having a statement in a databook for a supposedly Sol attack that literal other fodders out pace then yes it screams Outlier.
I've already commented here about "can't dodge" here, this mention also exists on Katsuyu's page about her acid in the Databook, that kind of quote doesn't mean anything.

He didn’t use raiton. He used Sage Art: Shadow Style Thunder Blast. A 6paths technique. That’s painfully obviously not lightning speed 😑.
The Databook page for this technique says that he creates various ramifications of natural lightning with the Yin element, he literally creates natural lightnings.

About Orochi, this was said:

https://vsbattles.com/threads/removal-of-the-naruto-retsuden-laser-justification.118085/post-3835938
Only thing removed was the justifications for Naruto, Orochi's feats were not rejected.
Literal same shit nobody accepted it and it needs another thread? Tf I even agreed with it on that thread so honestly idk wtf was your point.
Katsuyu's page about her acid in the Databook, that kind of quote doesn't mean anything.
then it means that attack is high in speed? Like what? It doesn’t necessarily mean SoL but it’s complimenting the speed nonetheless
The Databook page for this technique says that he creates various ramifications of natural lightning with the Yin element, he literally creates natural lightnings
ok then somebody calc him blocking the lightning then… 😑

^ lol and they all got the same sized amp
Kurama's chakra increases the power and physical capacities and the techniques, but Issen appears to have a fixed speed, which is that of light, being with a physical power amplifier doesn't mean that Issen will be faster, after all, all Samurai including Mifune have this technique with the same speed (LS) and obviously there is a physical difference between them, but this does not influence the speed of the Issen. In this scene, he continues LS and the other attacks are amplified by Naruto's Kurama Chakra, which wouldn't be strange if he increased the speed of the other characters techniques up to this level or almost. And if I'm not mistaken, in the anime scene, Issen arrives first. And I don't think it matters anyway, there's a scene of Darui being as fast as the Raikage with the armor when attacking Sasuke, and yet we didn't scale him for the Raikage.

Literal same shit nobody accepted it and it needs another thread? Tf I even agreed with it on that thread so honestly idk wtf was your point.
That's because the topic was just about Naruto, and it ended up being derailed anyway, but it wasn't rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back