• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Okey vs Purify ahhh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorta

In the form of The Player vs Ness (which never got any votes)

Anyway, SBA says Ness is Low 2-C, so he stomps hard.

Actually, I could probably argue that Low 7-B would be fair as The Batter has no way of bypassing Passive Fate and Probability Manipulation. But eh.

Okay what's up with this sudden passive hax for Ness in his Tier 7 forms? Because I'm fairly certain anyone can hurt and kill Ness in-universe.

Also if the Batter can't hurt/kill Ness, then it's a stomp.

Because he was fated in the beginning of the game, even before he reached his full potential. "Killing" doesn't really appear in Earthbound, rather it is incapacitation, but ye.

If anyone in the verse can still defeat Ness, then I don't see why a random VS Battle character wouldn't be able to.

Ness' profile elaborates his fate hax poorly, can someone fix that? Saikou points out perfectly why this is important.

The profile(s) kind of implies that he, as the chosen one, is Fated to specifically defeat the main threat to the universe, not just anyone in this way.

And besides, even if this wasn't the case, this does not actually mean that he can't lose a battle according to SBA.

Say that the Batter just throws him in another planet: Ness may be able to come back in some way, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll do that within a week.

Honestly I think I might have to make a thread about it, because it's gone a bit out of control, to the point where Earthbound characters are now considered the strongest of their Tiers despite the absolute lack of explanation about their powers.

Ness and the party's ability actually sounds more like it could be interpreted as Supernatural Luck, and them being killed by other enemies could be passed as game mechanics. But I do see Saikou's point; maybe adding that ability and at least in the context it has now was a bittle overboard and it might not be assumed that Truth of the Universe always sides with them 24/7. But it was the primary reason Giygas failed to destroy them.

Either way, this does appear to be a mismatch.

Actually if they're defeated by an enemy they're immedieatly revived, there's literally an entire cutscene developed for that. I'm assuming Saikou hasn't played earthbound or somehow just no death run'd through it, cause the death cutscene explains that. Also there's a lot of in-game verses where a person has a form of protection but dies to random enemies, that shouldn't be an argument.

https://youtu.be/YziVkkjMfEA?t=11

It's stated among several sources also that Ness and co. are selected by destiny.

Oh yeah, Ness and the party never actually die when you get game over, but simply get knocked unconscious and taken somewhere secure. And it's similar to how some characters like Conker the Squirrel actually do have infinite lives in canon; granting him Immortality type 4. So I guess passive Fate Manipulation is fine but Saikou does have a point that maybe certain aspects of it are exaggerated about it always being assumed to grant them perfect protection.

You know, I proposed that back in the good old days that was "Earthbound MAJOR revision". Good times..

Can someone close this already tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back