• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

If we know that the speed of the sword swings are baseline FTL, why would it be higher just because it was done for 10,000 swings?

If we know that the speed of the sword swings are baseline FTL, why would it be higher just because it was done for 10,000 swings?
I'm just assuming baseline FTL as it was only described as "faster than light".
I'm assuming it'll be higher as it was done in a single breath and later on, in the blink of an eye. On average a blink happens between 0.1s - 0.4s, that'll be about 25k - 100k swings a second doesn't it amount to something?

Those would both be worse than FTL; light can go around the entire Earth in ~0.133 seconds.

Last edited:
how can ı say, why did you give the example of light traveling the world? just asking for better understanding
A person was talking about whether swinging a sword 25,000 to 100,000 times a second was more impressive than being FTL.

I responded that light can travel around the Earth in 0.25 seconds, or four times in one second (I was actually wrong; light does it seven and a half times in one second).

The Earth has a circumference of 40,000 kilometers. Even if each of those sword swings were a kilometer long, it would not be FTL.

I was trying to use a common reference object to show how much more impressive the speed of light is than the feat being discussed.

Frozen FTL timeframe?
Nah, can't use that here. One would actually have to view light speed in slow-mo first before anything can be done here, simply "Speed of light looks like trash to him" ain't gonna cut it.

Hello, i'd like to know if this calculation is fine
Screenshot_20220309-011622_Discord.jpg

The issue is, what's an unnatural speed for a boat? Winds can get pretty crazy in hurricanes in the like, would we count those as natural or not?

Plus, the actual speed that a ship gets from the wind seems difficult to calculate. Then calculating the energy in moving the wind like that also seems tough (how wide of an area would you need to assume the wind operates over?)

I think the only other way would to know how long it took them. but I would just take the highest speed ships at whatever time period this was done and assume greater than that.
I see, thanks for the help

btw can someone explain to me when this formula can be used for earthquakes?

Something I thought wasn't fully explained on the explanation page, what makes an earthquake meteor-like?

Would a human-mass person crashing into a planet at high speeds, creating an earthquake, count for that?

Something I thought wasn't fully explained on the explanation page, what makes an earthquake meteor-like?

Would a human-mass person crashing into a planet at high speeds, creating an earthquake, count for that?
Depends on the range the earthquake was felt at, but DT told me that covering a hundred meters radius at the bare minimum would qualify for it.

???
I’m trying to calc something else
Its a character surviving an explosion and Idk how to get the character’s surface area
You then need to halve the surface area to get cross-sectional area.

Yea, but Idk how to get the SA of the character since he’s not human shaped, so I cant use the 0.68 m2

Yea, but Idk how to get the SA of the character since he’s not human shaped, so I cant use the 0.68 m2
I guess as a low-ball just assume average British height and weight. Not much to do here.

How do I calculate that a character was flying and manages to cross Jupiter from one side, reach the core and then continue until he leaves at MFTL + speed (no I don't mean KE)?

How do I calculate that a character was flying and manages to cross Jupiter from one side, reach the core and then continue until he leaves at MFTL + speed (no I don't mean KE)?
I have no idea what you're talking about, can you show me a link to this feat?

Back