• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

Is there any formula for calculating how much energy is needed to form a tornado
yes, actually.
you could get the rotational KE of the tornado.
find the height and radius of the cylinder of air, get the mass of air, then find the moment of inertia of it. find how fast its rotating (or make a safe assumption of windspeed) and then use the formula for rotational kinetic energy

I have a couple of issues with this calc:
  • It a little unclear what's happening exactly happening for the feat, or if the calculation really matches up with what's happening
  • The feat was performed over a time frame of 3 seconds
  • What's to say the centinels were digging through dirt instead of rock? They did kick up a lot of dust from their digging
  • Looking at how close the towers are to the edge, the centinels probably wouldn't have needed to dig that much to make the shield towers fall down
  • This feat happens with Team RWBY is in Atlas, so technically it should only apply to characters' Atlas keys, not Post-Haven keys
  • What's to say that the Centinels instead dig out a torus shape or triagular prism shape or pyramid shape?
Looking at these, I just wonder which mass am I supposed to use if I were to find momentum?
boop

I'm having trouble with this calculation.

Characters fought and destroyed an entire Star Field (Galaxy). Thing is, the "Stars" are solid and not gaseous while they are comparable in size to actual stars. Basically they're planets but just the size of stars. The regular stars do exist in the Star Field (call them sun stars). The Planet Stars were destroyed by fragmentation and we don't see any of the sun stars anywhere (most likely they were completely obliterated).

I decided to just do fragmentation of the Planet stars using the total amount of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy but it feels off. Does anyone have any better suggestions or is this the best option?

Like this?
i did the same calculation and got 0.01 tons instead so idunno what you did that i didn't.

moment of inertia of a cylinder is (mr^2)/2, so using your mass and your radius, it's 422879 kg m^2
wind speeds of 142.1587 m/s means it'd cover the circle's circumference 2.255 times in a second, i.e angular velocity of 14.17 rad/s (multiply by 2pi)
rotational KE = 1/2 * MoI * angVelocity^2 = 0.5 * 422879 * 14.17^2 = 0.01014 tons

How do you calculate an earthquake that lasted over 2 years?
Not certain if this is applicable to Earthquake feats, but typically energy on the wiki is measured by energy per second. So in the case someone pulls off a feat like burning something far quicker than a second, you would multiply the result by how many less seconds it took to pull of the feat (Say I burned something in 1/4'th a second, or 0.25 seconds. I'd multiply the result by 4x). If the earthquake was caused by one attack, and not a continuous one, I assume you can just do a normal earthquake feat, and multiply it by the duration of the earthquake in seconds (i.e. normal earthquake calc result x 6.312e+7 seconds = true yield).

i did the same calculation and got 0.01 tons instead so idunno what you did that i didn't.

moment of inertia of a cylinder is (mr^2)/2, so using your mass and your radius, it's 422879 kg m^2
wind speeds of 142.1587 m/s means it'd cover the circle's circumference 2.255 times in a second, i.e angular velocity of 14.17 rad/s (multiply by 2pi)
rotational KE = 1/2 * MoI * angVelocity^2 = 0.5 * 422879 * 14.17^2 = 0.01014 tons
Hmm I see
I didn't use the moment of inertia based on it's shape. Also looking back at my own calc I made a typo 💀

Not certain if this is applicable to Earthquake feats, but typically energy on the wiki is measured by energy per second. So in the case someone pulls off a feat like burning something far quicker than a second, you would multiply the result by how many less seconds it took to pull of the feat (Say I burned something in 1/4'th a second, or 0.25 seconds. I'd multiply the result by 4x). If the earthquake was caused by one attack, and not a continuous one, I assume you can just do a normal earthquake feat, and multiply it by the duration of the earthquake in seconds (i.e. normal earthquake calc result x 6.312e+7 seconds = true yield).

I see, thanks for the help!

i don't think it is tbf
even vaporizing or burning stuff is only really divided if it took an extended period of time.
say it takes 100 tons of energy to vaporize a lake. 0.1 seconds or 1 seconds it'd proooobably just be 100 tons flat
if it took an hour, then i'd divide it by 3600.

I am not sure whether this feat is even calculable but... let say that there are 10 billion adults which then are compress to make 2 meter adult with no mass loss in the process. His total mass is the sum of all of them. Due to such, its stated that the body generate powerful gravitational wave.

i don't think it is tbf
even vaporizing or burning stuff is only really divided if it took an extended period of time.
say it takes 100 tons of energy to vaporize a lake. 0.1 seconds or 1 seconds it'd proooobably just be 100 tons flat
if it took an hour, then i'd divide it by 3600.
Don't think so. I made my own feat that involved cutting through the earth with a laser, and it burned through several kilometers in a fraction of a second. So I multiplied, and it was accepted. Likewise, Shin Godzilla's main calc uses the same method and was evaluated and was used on the profile. If energy us measured by output per second, it makes sense to multiply it if the feat was done in less than a second I think.

Don't think so. I made my own feat that involved cutting through the earth with a laser, and it burned through several kilometers in a fraction of a second. So I multiplied, and it was accepted. Likewise, Shin Godzilla's main calc uses the same method and was evaluated and was used on the profile. If energy us measured by output per second, it makes sense to multiply it if the feat was done in less than a second I think.
i guess for a laser specifically that makes sense since their entire thing is intensity.
i just personally haven't ever seen that accepted before so i imagined, for other things, you only divide if it takes an extended period of time, like creating a star over the period of a month for example.

i guess for a laser specifically that makes sense since their entire thing is intensity.
i just personally haven't ever seen that accepted before so i imagined, for other things, you only divide if it takes an extended period of time, like creating a star over the period of a month for example.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was exclusive to lasers or not. I just feel in a feat like causing an earthquake that lasts 2 years from say, quickly jabbing the ground once warrants multiplying it by the time it lasted. It would seem weird to treat it the same as a standard earthquake feat if it lasts substantially longer than most recorded earthquakes.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was exclusive to lasers or not. I just feel in a feat like causing an earthquake that lasts 2 years from say, quickly jabbing the ground once warrants multiplying it by the time it lasted. It would seem weird to treat it the same as a standard earthquake feat if it lasts substantially longer than most recorded earthquakes.
makes sense, i agree.

BookReaderImages.php

How can I calc this feat?

How would one calc perceiving (seeing)light/lightning/bullets in slow motion?

Just perception
No movement involved
depends how slow the slow motion is
if you can calculate the slowdown factor (for example, you calculate that lightning is moving 200x slower than it would be normally) then i'd just divide normal human reaction time by that and use that for a perception speed rating

if it appears to be FROZEN, then there's a section on the calculations page for that, Slow Motion

so i thought about this a little more for a bit
wouldnt causing an earthquake that lasted for 2 years just be a stamina feat? obviously from the way it was described it doesn't seem like they were actively powering it, but if i shot out a laser and just kept it going consistently, that would be a measure of my stamina, no?

May i know, are this count as time frozen/snail speed feats?

Cause he was seem have long internal dialogue and the laser barely moving until the end he realize

so i thought about this a little more for a bit
wouldnt causing an earthquake that lasted for 2 years just be a stamina feat? obviously from the way it was described it doesn't seem like they were actively powering it, but if i shot out a laser and just kept it going consistently, that would be a measure of my stamina, no?
Are you talking about the Earthquake? If so, no. If you punched the ground just once, and then never touched it again, and the Earthquake lasted 2 years, that wouldn't be stamina. If you mean the laser, it'd prolly be both stamina and be accounted for when calc'ing the yield. Makes no sense imo to make the standard of the wiki output in 1 second, then get ap based on smth that occurs in less than a second.

Are you talking about the Earthquake? If so, no. If you punched the ground just once, and then never touched it again, and the Earthquake lasted 2 years, that wouldn't be stamina. If you mean the laser, it'd prolly be both stamina and be accounted for when calc'ing the yield. Makes no sense imo to make the standard of the wiki output in 1 second, then get ap based on smth that occurs in less than a second.
consider it akin to lighting a flame and then walking away
the flame's energy output is the feat, but it's only giving out a certain amount of energy per second. doing it for longer doesn't increase that, as with the earthquake. the quaking doesn't get any stronger because it happened for longer, so the output/second is still the same - just over an extended period of time

consider it akin to lighting a flame and then walking away
the flame's energy output is the feat, but it's only giving out a certain amount of energy per second. doing it for longer doesn't increase that, as with the earthquake. the quaking doesn't get any stronger because it happened for longer, so the output/second is still the same - just over an extended period of time
But a flame and this feat are incomparable. One has a constant power supply (Whatever material is being ignited to make it work) that lets it keep going. Punching the ground once only deposits 1 second worth of energy. If 1 second worth of energy (or heck, even a fraction of a second) causes an Earthquake to continue for 2 years, it's clearly more energy than the power to cause an earthquake for 1 second.

But a flame and this feat are incomparable. One has a constant power supply (Whatever material is being ignited to make it work) that lets it keep going. Punching the ground once only deposits 1 second worth of energy. If 1 second worth of energy (or heck, even a fraction of a second) causes an Earthquake to continue for 2 years, it's clearly more energy than the power to cause an earthquake for 1 second.
but at the same time, an earthquake only radiates a given amount of energy per second through waves or whatever, right? it going on for longer isn't increasing the rate of energy output.

but at the same time, an earthquake only radiates a given amount of energy per second through waves or whatever, right? it going on for longer isn't increasing the rate of energy output.
It probably just means the one second of energy is radiating at a rate that it takes 2 years for it to deplete. Let's make an example here

I charge an attack for half a second, fire it at the earths surface, and it destroys the earth, and continues to irradiate that same level of energy for 10 minutes straight. That would mean it took me 0.5 seconds to charge an attack with the power to destroy Earth every second for 10 minutes. That wouldn't be baseline Planet level.

Would you be able to calculate the GPE of a character if they are bigger than Earth?
It is, you just need to resort to this formula.

E = (G*M*m)/r1 - (G*M*m)/r2

Where

G = 6.674*10^-11

M = Earth Mass = 5.972*10^24

m = Mass (as calculated by prior formula)

r1 = 6371000m = Earth Radius

r2 = 6371000m + Height/2

E = Energy

So it would like this when you have your values ready.

E = G×M×((Height / Average Height)^3 * Average Weight) × (1/6371000 - 1/(6371000 + Height/2))

Last edited:
It is, you just need to resort to this formula.

E = (G*M*m)/r1 - (G*M*m)/r2

Where

G = 6.674*10^-11

M = Earth Mass = 5.972*10^24

m = Mass (as calculated by prior formula)

r1 = 6371000m = Earth Radius

r2 = 6371000m + Height/2

E = Energy

So it would like this when you have your values ready.

E = G×M×((Height / Average Height)^3 * Average Weight) × (1/r1 - 1/(6371000 + Height/2))
Okay, I did all of that, and I got about 37465 joules, which, needless to say, I don't think is right given the size of Nixon.

Back