• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Little Pony: Revisions are Indeed Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, we're doing this. Yet again we're discussing Solar System level My Little Pony. Frankly, after going through the arguments against it, I'm starting to see some hypocrisy and I'm pretty pissed about it. So if I come off as passive-aggressive, you'll have to excuse me. This has been building up for a long time.

DarkDragonMedeus:
If someone where to explode a sun as Relativistic speeds, it would be a different story. But she's simply moving the sun casually at FTL and it's not treated as an attack that's beyond Star level. So I think it's safer to go by what Azathoth said and it appears even Darkanine thinks he makes good points.
Are you seriously appealing to authorial intent? In a wiki with literally thousands of calcs that go against what the author had in mind in terms of power levels? I do not buy that. Fine. I hope you don't mind if I downgrade more than half of the characters here then. I'm sure people won't mind. After all, we must follow how the author treats the attack and not what the actual results are.

I'll go more into how I feel about that type of logic near the end but for now I have this to say: If your argument is that it isn't treated as beyond Star level and thus it should only be Star level.....on a wiki filled to the brim with calcs that go against author intent, then you have no argument. By this logic, Celestia wouldn't even be Star level since the authors apparently think she can get ko-ed by wall busting blasts.

Also, Darkanine was never in support of the downgrades. Both me and The 2nd Existential Seed have been chatting with him and he never agreed in the first place. He only went along with it because he didn't want to waste energy arguing against it. But fear not my fallen friend, I will waste my energy for you.

Antvasima:
The exact same type of power is used for both occasions. We cannot use the laws of physics for one of them but not the other. I will close this now. My apologies.
I'm Sorry What? This? This is why they got downgraded? For artistic license? Artistic license is literally all it is. They aren't giving the finger to physics and making the Sun defy relativistic kinetic energy because it's some ability they have. It's literally artistic license. We ignore the Sun not messing up the planet every time it gets moved, or even seeing it getting moved despite light taking 8 minutes to reach us, because the episodes are literally written that way. If magic is defying physics in regards to the Sun then it's only because of artistic license writing it that way, not because it's genuinely disobeying them.

https://derpicdn.net/img/2018/10/14/1856249/large.jpeg

If you still don't believe me then take it up with Big Jim. He didn't give a reason for why the Sun kept moving without the princesses during the S8 finale. He didn't give the Sun or Moon magic or physics defying powers, he literally just wrote things that way for the sake of plot.

But the worst part about it all? The worst part is that this is the same ******* logic that people use to say moving the Sun is not a legit feat for My Little Pony at all. Because it doesn't follow logic and breaks physics. Because they aren't willing to accept that it is only because of the plot and artistic license that this stuff happens. We are doing literally the exact same thing that non-members do to downplay, but on a smaller scale and I gotta tell you: It is enraging. This logic honestly isn't much better than the logic that detractors use.

The last argument I want to address is the: "It's too close to Light Speed to use." This is simply not true I've plugged in the numbers from Darkanine's calc but at the 93% threshold instead, and guess what? The difference was barely a Kilofoe, a 1.03 Kilofoe difference to be precise. The inflation is virtually nonexistent.

The relativistic kinetic energy value is only accepted up to 4 times the Newtonian value:
That is the case, if the speed of the moving object is above 93% of the speed of light. For kinetic energy values above that, which are not faster than light, 4 times the kinetic energy value should be taken.
I'm pretty sure we just need to multiply the results by 4 and we're all good. Unless I missed something, it doesn't seem like it's saying we can't use values above 93%. I've also talked with DontTalkDT about it, he says anything below 1 c is perfectly fine to use, supporting that yes, Darkanine's 95.53% calc is completely fine to use.

Taking all of this into account, I propose we upgrade everyone back to 4-B, with Twilight tier characters scaling to 1/6th of the feat since Starswirl replicated Celestia's feat every day for decades. There's also the fact that he can clash with the Pony of Shadow's and not get overpowered and killed near instantly, he can even overpower his dark tendrils over time. Neither of these directly scale Starswirl to the Pony of Shadow's full power, seeing as he lost both times. They are however, auxiliary feats that would not be possible for someone who is weaker by a gap of at least 4.3 million times. Such a huge gap has never been implied in series and there exist similar auxiliary feats in the series.

One such feat is Twilight deflecting Sombra's shots with high difficulty (key word being high difficulty). No, you cannot say her S9 self got a power boost. That boost only applies at the end of S9. By that point she went from nearly getting knocked over from deflecting Sombra's blasts to knocking out one of Tirek's teeth. Said Tirek, on top of getting 1/3rd of Grogars magic from the bell, also had the speck of magic "Grogar" gave him.at the beginning of S9 + the magic of the Pillars of Equestria. I can go more into detail how powerful Tirek in this form is if need be, but Twilight clearly didn't get a boost until the end of S9, not the start.

I honestly still don't get the reasoning behind the downgrade. There are scenes in which the sun moves FTL... so what? This doesn't affect the scenes in which it is moved at STL speeds; Celestia could very well just move the sun at different speeds in different occasions. People are acting like just because it is FTL in some scenes, this means it has to be FTL in every scene and every STL scene can just be ignored, when it really isn't the case.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
I honestly still don't get the reasoning behind the downgrade. There are scenes in which the sun moves FTL... so what? This doesn't affect the scenes in which it is moved at STL speeds; Celestia could very well just move the sun at different speeds in different occasions. People are acting like just because it is FTL in some scenes, this means it has to be FTL in every scene and every STL scene can just be ignored, when it really isn't the case.
Basically that because it moves at light speed it is ignoring relativistic kinetic energy, therefore it cannot be used as it is effectively ignoring physics.

Oh boi I didn't see this coming. Anyway I definitely wanna say we shouldn't use authors intent to disprove or ignore there feats. Since this is a huge part of the show in general and only scales to top tiers I don't get the outlier or breaks the setting arguments

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the writers thought Celestia was building level (assuming they care about that at all.)

You think you could contact Darkanine for me on Discord if he isn't busy? This would surely interest him.

@Lightbuster Whether I agree or disagree, just try and keep your head.

I get that it's upsetting, and I know you didn't even really do that much, but it could easily fall to that level if you let it. Focus on the goal, but do it in a way where nobody has to get angry or bothered by another. It's good to step back and take a breather if necessary.

ShakeResounding said:
@Lightbuster Whether I agree or disagree, just try and keep your head.
I get that it's upsetting, and I k ow you didn't even really do that much, but it could easily fall to that level if you let it. Focus on the goal, but do it in a way where nobody has to get angry or bothered by another. It's good to step back and take a breather if necessary.
Sorry. This is just something that's been bubbling in me since the downgrades happened. Then getting it shut down so fast made it even worse. I guess I turned the thread into something of a vent.

Yeah, FTL KE defies the laws of physics, and therefore the times it moves FTL can't be used, but again, there are completely unrelated occasions in which it moves STL, and it therefore makes no difference if there are other scenes in which it is FTL, because it doesn't change the STL scenes.

Honestly, by "I don't get" I don't even mean that I don't agree with the downgrade, I mean I straight up don't understand what the logic behind this downgrade is, any explanation people give legit doesn't make any sense to me, but last time I asked for someone to explain they just kept saying the same thing even after I said that I didn't understand it (while honestly being pretty disrespectful to me by saying stuff like "permanently drop this subject", "you are not allowed to restart it afterwards" or saying that I was wasting time), and after a while the thread was just closed and I was left without any explanatio, so after that I just kind of gave up trying to get any answers.

Agree with everything except the Twilight stuff. I still think that at least Season 9 Twilight should be treated as Celestia tier.

I mean, they literally did the same feat Celestia did. Whatever Celestia does with the Sun, Starswirl should scale to 1/6th of that via doing the feat himself along with others. I will repeat myself when I claim: A gap so massive has never been implied by the series.

There's also the fact that Starswirl can beam clash with the Pony of Shadows and not die instantly, and with time he can overpower his tendrils. He doesn't scale directly to the guy for this, but it is an auxiliary feat suggesting he is strong enough not to get stomped. It's definitely not anything a dude weaker by 4.3 millions times could do.

DoggoRoboto said:
Yeah I never got the reasoning for the downgrade either. I feel like the higher ups have been historically harsher and less lenient on MLP calcs and feats than other series for whatever reaso. The calcs were fairly consistently in the 4-B range but were rejected for...reasons. Stupid reasons at that.
So yeah, I support 4-B cartoon high tiers.
Maybe because it's a high fantasy, slice of life, childrens cartoon (as much as I hate admitting to the last part) and it's feats are more vague compared to other series. Antvasima always refered to it as a childrens storybook or something along those lines, so maybe it's harder for people to take the feats seriously? I don't know. Just a theory.

Nothing wrong with admittedly it's a kids show. Hell, one of my favorite TV shows of all time is met for pre-schoolers. But I do think the fact that it's intended for little girls is one of the biggest reasons why people are more scrutinous regarding feats, even if they don't intend it to be a case.

Anyway, yeah. The whole "storybook" thing is literally head-canon that's taken too seriously by some staff members. I think Season 9 finally without a doubt disproved that crud when Pinkie Pie dreamed of being an astronaut at least.

DoggoRoboto said:
Nothing wrong with admittedly it's a kids show. Hell, one of my favorite TV shows of all time is met for pre-schoolers. But I do think the fact that it's intended for little girls is one of the biggest reasons why people are more scrutinous regarding feats, even if they don't intend it to be a case.
Anyway, yeah. The whole "storybook" thing is literally head-canon that's taken too seriously by some staff members. I think Season 9 finally without a doubt disproved that crud when Pinkie Pie dreamed of being an astronaut at least.
I thought they did that when they outright killed the Storm King.(who may be still alive)?

CinnabarManx421 said:
I don't think anyone can say with a straight face it's just a children's show after it went all DBZ on us and implied character deaths several times.
Lots of kids shows do that. And just because there are some more mature or violent moments doesn't make the whole package mature and violent. It's a simple, fun, slice of life show at its core, and that's fine.

I was talking about the cosmology part, but yeah. MLP in general has a surprising about of death in it, from Orion's implied suicide to the fact that Stygian literally murdered his friends in the bad timeline. Even G1 had a bunch of murder, like that time when Applejack straight up ******* killed a slave owner and the first episode of Tales featuring a dragon murdering a little kid for entering his cave.

That said, death isn't really uncommon in children's media. Digimo, despite squarely being for kids (before being reinvented as more of a teen-young adult series) had some pretty graphic deaths in it (Wizardmon, Whamon, Geri's mother, Leomon...a lot). And Adventure Time kind of speaks for itself (though I think MLP is, weirdly enough, one of the few cartoons I've heard actually use language like 'kill' and 'death', other being Legend Quest and I think Hilda?.) Doesn't mean it's not meant for kids, but that also doesn't mean teens and adults can't enjoy it either.

DoggoRoboto said:
I was talking about the cosmology part, but yeah. MLP in general has a surprising about of death in it, from Orion's implied suicide to the fact that Stygian literally murdered his friends in the bad timeline. Even G1 had a bunch of murder, like that time when Applejack straight up ******* killed a slave owner and the first episode of Tales featuring a dragon murdering a little kid for entering his cave.
Rockhoof's attempted suicide (Not as bad if you know the context).

More on-topic though: Can anyone think of any counter arguments against my points? If I can form some preemptive arguments before anyone has a chance to form counterarguments, then that raises the chances of this getting accepted.

DoggoRoboto said:
I was talking about the cosmology part, but yeah.
I'd say having two universes to a potentially infinite multiverse (If I ever get Antvasima to accept Legends of Magic into the S7 canon like it deserves) is a pretty good cosmology.

I mean Chrysalis has straight up murdered a kitten in front of children and drained the love of ah entire civilization which forced the king into cosmic suicide.

Js250476 said:
I mean Chrysalis has straight up murdered a kitten in front of children and drained the love of ah entire civilization which forced the king into cosmic suicide.
Woah where did this come from?

Lightbuster30 said:
More on-topic though: Can anyone think of any counter arguments against my points? If I can form some preemptive arguments before anyone has a chance to form counterarguments, then that raises the chances of this getting accepted.
I guess you could say that because Celestia used the same amount of effort doing the 4-B feat as the 4-C feat that it's invalid. Or that because it supposedly takes more power to move it faster in the MLP verse (Celestia never moved it as fast as Discord, who never moved it as fast as the Storm King). That said, I don't think these arguments are solid enough, but they could be points brought up by others.

GokuSparkle said:
I guess you could say that because Celestia used the same amount of effort doing the 4-B feat as the 4-C feat that it's invalid. Or that because it supposedly takes more power to move it faster in the MLP verse (Celestia never moved it as fast as Discord, who never moved it as fast as the Storm King). That said, I don't think these arguments are solid enough, but they could be points brought up by others.
The first argument falls under my "authorial intent" argument. Being portrayed as the same effort is completely irrelevant and pure pedantry.

What do you mean takes more energy to move it faster? That's sorta how kinetic energy works. By definition you need more power to go faster.

As far as not moving the Sun at the same speed as the Storm King: Celestia can control the speed at which she raises the Sun. The Storm King by contrast pretty obviously has poor control with his powers and it almost certainly not as experienced with them as a mare who's been doing this for 1111 years. As for Discord? The dude was making the Sun travel at compable speeds just by causing chaos. He wasn't even doing it himself, it was just his chaos passively doing that. Not hard to believe he could do it faster if he put in some effort.

I personally think the 4-B upgrades are legit, but I'm not a big fan of them being argued back and forth; as well as upgrading and downgrading them back and forth. Keep in mind, I was never against the downgrades and I was simply okay with them. But Azathoth did make a long speech when he proposed why. However, all of the 4-C feats are extremely casual, as are the villains' High 4-C feats. So there's no reason to consider the 4-B feats an outlier.

So, I'd be glad to see 4-B Alicorns returning, but I'm worried tbh... Plus, the 4-C ratings did make the Low 4-C backwards scaling to Starswirl the Bearded and Alicorn Twilight more sense. I know making the scaling more sense isn't the best course of action, but still. There's also the fact that Starswirl can move the sun when united with the others, but not on his own.

I'll watch over the thread and hope it goes well, but as I said; I am worried.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I personally think the 4-B upgrades are legit, but I'm not a big fan of them being argued back and forth; as well as upgrading and downgrading them back and forth. Keep in mind, I was never against the downgrades and I was simply okay with them. But Azathoth did make a long speech when he proposed why. However, all of the 4-C feats are extremely casual, as are the villains' High 4-C feats. So there's no reason to consider the 4-B feats and outlier.
So, I'd be glad to see 4-B Alicorns returning, but I'm worried tbh... Plus, the 4-C ratings did make the Low 4-C backwards scaling to Starswirl the Bearded and Alicorn Twilight more sense. I know making the scaling more sense isn't the best course of action, but still. There's also the fact that Starswirl can move the sun when united with the others, but not on his own.

I'll watch over the thread and hope it goes well, but as I said; I am worried.
Starswirl's scaling is wierd in general. The lowest end calc of the Sun moving is based on a statement for rotating it around the planet in 24 hours (since it takes a day to turn to night). Under these circumstances, Starswirl would still be generating High 4-C energy even factoring the help of 5 others.

It's similar to how Twilight needs an amulet to control both the Sun and the Moon despite scaling to someone who is currently Low 4-C (The show makes it clear she can't control either of them). I personally don't think the writers fully thought this through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back