• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Little Pony: Revisions are Indeed Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antvasima said:
Lightbuster30 said:
Which again, I personally believe is due to artistic license. The argument really hinges on whether or not it's artistic license or not. Discord is the only character blatantly shown and portrayed as physics breaking. Magic on the other hand can actually be studied and quantified in-universe, which suggests an adherence to logic instead of an aversion.
I meant in terms of repeatedly moving the Sun at FTL speeds.
From what I've read of Azathoth's argument, he seems to be saying that because the Sun is consistently moved at FTL speeds, it isn't following physics and thus relativistic kinetic energy is not usable. But if it turns out that moving the Sun FTL with no consequences is only a result of artistic license, then that argument no longer works.

So if that argument is out of the question, why else is FTL an argument? BTW I won't be available for the next 2 hours, so you'll have to wait for a response.

Lightbuster30 said:
A Stoned Orc said:
Staff members have lives too, y'know.
Dude, I've seen him make comments within seconds after I asked him. I made sure the staff members I asked weren't very busy before asking them. At the very least it wouldn't hurt to say no.
...And? AFAIK staff members aren't obligated to respond at the drop of a hat every time someone asks them something. Just sayin', this isn't an actual job.

Staff members aren't obligated, that's true, but when someone refuses to let something go through until an arbitrary amount of staff members reply, it gets annoying and just wastes our time.

I've been taking it out of my time to help with the upgrade myself, and I would appreciate if others did the same as well.

Well, you can ask some other staff members for help then.

Honestly, I'm doing my best to understand this "it moves FTL in other scenes, so using the scenes in which it moves STL is dishonest" argument, but I really can't. Here's what happen when we use this logic:

The entire verse falls apart as soon as this logic is applied. The logic being used is pretty much "there are scenes in which it is weaker, so just ignore the scenes in which is is 4-B". This makes literally no sense, since pretty much everything has scenes in which it is weaker.

I would understand it if it was a ridiculous leap in power, such as a filly suddenly getting a 4-B feat that scales to everybody or something like that, if that was the case you could argue it to be an outlier, but we're talking about the top tiers in the verse.

This isn't even a classical case of me understanding the logic used but not agreeing with it, the logic itself makes absolutely no sense to me.

The issue is that we literally cannot calculate the kinetic energy of FTL feats, as the laws of physics break apart at that scale, so it is a considerably more extreme case.

Anyway, I do not have the time and energy to argue much about this, and am not really adamant about it either. I would just like to get input from other staff members.

Yeah, and nobody is asking to calculate the kinetic energy of FTL feats, the feat being used is Relativistic+, 83% of the speed of light, and the argument being used to ignore the feat is "it moves FTL in other scenes."

Seriously, no offense to anyone, but I really don't understand this.

Well, I am open for changing my mind. It is just that Azathoth tends to have a very good sense of judgement, so I would prefer some more staff input.

I think that he has quit the wiki due to being busy IRL. Some of our members seem to occasionally talk with him via Discord though.

Superman and the Flash can move at MFTL+ speeds and is allowed the calc for the Infinite Mass Punch based on sub-relativistice speeds.

In turn, Celestia should be allowed the subrelativistic calcs under 93% Sol even though the sun can move FTL to MFTL+ in other cases.

I suppose that is a good point. I am leaning towards agreeing then, but would still prefer some staff input.

The Flash literally explained the IMP in its entirety when he first debuted it, though. I don't think Celestia has ever taken the time to give us a play-by-play of how fast she moves the Sun...

This is an important change, so I would prefer if it isn't just me and Medeus who decide.

Lightbuster30 said:
That sorta speaks for itself. They felt he was strong enough that neither of them felt they could defeat him on their own and instead had to combine their power. The fact that in a parallel timeline, Celestia can't just waltz in and banish him like she did with Luna, and instead can only stalemate him sorta supports this.
I mean, why is he ONLY considered Celestia tier? It took two Celestia level alicorns combining their power to defeat him, he's always felt confident in taking on alicorns, and in fact believed himself to be the strongest creature in Equestria after defeating Discord, implying the lord of chaos was the only one he was unsure about being able to beat (though you could interpret that as him just being overconfident). Him being somewhat above alicorn level would then make Twilight struggling to fight him make more sense. So instead of just EoS Twilight, Season 9 Twilight in general would be alicorn tier.

Because he got his flank handed to him badly when Celestia and Luna combined their power. All of that is him being overconfident. The S9 permier portrayed him as full of himself and his power despite being a big threat. Sure, someone like Discord is overconfident too, but, unlike Sombra, he has damn good reason to be. What does Sombra have? Stalemating an alicorn? He scales to Celestia, but not above her. The most he gets is an equal.

Even you said that neither of the princesses were confident in taking him on alone. Maybe he's not like twice as strong as them, but 1.1 or 1.2x stronger at least seems fair.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a result of being weaker. They were in a clear deadlock in the war timeline. So maybe it's less a matter of being underconfident and more just easier to do. We never did see the result of the war anyways.

Regardless, I am still against the idea of S9 Twilight being top tier Alicorn tier in general. It took everything she had to hold her own against a Celestia tier threat and even then only won when the Magic of Friendship bailed her out at the last second. The most damning argument against early S9 Twilight being on par with Celestia being the fact that she needs an amulet to do the work for her, and the fact that she did pretty damned good against Sombra tier threats, being able to momentarily shield an attack from the three of them, shield attacks from Cozy Glow, and knocked one of Tirek's teeth out, implying debatable superiority to Sombra. The guy whom she struggled with previously? Hell, even the Mane 6 are implied to have gotten a massive boost given how well they fared.

Honestly just give Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 end of season 9 tiers it makes the most sense and is supported by actual feats.

If the feat was only 83% the speed of light, then it's not really unbalanced and sounds like more of reason to use it since it's not "A hair below the upper limit". And Azathoth actually approved it back then, but I think he changed his mind later. But after a second glance, I definitely support the upgrade.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
If the feat was only 83% the speed of light, then it's not really unbalanced and sounds like more of reason to use it since it's not "A hair below the upper limit". And Azathoth actually approved it back then, but I think he changed his mind later. But after a second glance, I definitely support the upgrade.
I really never liked that argument. Who cares if the 4.089 KF feat is right below the upper limit? We don't give characters who are .00001% from the next tier the next tier because of error margins, they stay where they are unless they have powerscaling tipping them over the edge.

Besides, I'm 90% certain the 95% c feat is still appliable. it doesn't even sound like the rules are saying you can't use it, just that you are limited to 4 times the kinetic energy for >93% c.

There was a new discovery that it's more like it's acceptable up to 96% the speed of light. But yeah, if the 83% calculation was legit done on screen, I have no objections to using it.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
There was a new discovery that it's more like it's acceptable up to 96% the speed of light. But yeah, if the 83% calculation was legit done on screen, I have no objections to using it.
I'm legit confused about the rule though. Like, just the way it's worded makes it sound like you have to adjust the feat rather than discard it. I've asked a DontTalkDT about it.....no responce, hopefully DMUA knows something.

Alright. I suppose that we can probably use this then. I would have preferred more staff input first though.

@Paulo

I do not know. They are largely busy with schoolwork.

Antvasima said:
Alright. I suppose that we can probably use this then. I would have preferred more staff input first though.
^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back