• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat pages Terms Of Use violation?

As I did earlier today, when I was talking about our use of character art on the wiki logo, I did come across a section of the Wikia Terms of Use that did not specially ask to refrain from using or modifying such content separately (such as across other wikis). So we should be good, but I am in favor of changing it just to be safe and respect those who created the original content (a summary or what have you). We can always ask for their permission later and that would solve such issue.

Yes. We could ask an administrator at the Mortal Kombat wiki. Dirtbag seems to be a new temporary troll account, or a sockpuppet after all.

I am also uncertain regarding what exactly that needs to be changed. Just listing Shao Kahn's techniques seems fairly harmless. It would have been a different issue if the page had copied large segments of summary text from the MK wiki.

I feel like the original post here is a bit incomplete, I'll explain.

removal isn't the only option, as you can reword it (substantially, I'm talking about actual rewrites, not just changing words.) or, if you really wanna go this route, you can make it abundantly clear that the content is copied and add the appropriate crediting.

if you did that, though, I would think you'd need to establish that on whatever other pages that have copied content here, as Soy mentioned it's been done a lot.

Quick question, either two things can be done, we can go to the MK wiki and ask permission to use their discriptions, since that's all we're really using. I don't see why this has to be such a humongous problem, yes we were using their description, but that's all we used, The image can be found on any search engine, if he wants it removed we can replace the image with another.

But if it is s big problem rewriting it from scratch is another option, though I guess that's what must be done.

Antvasima said:
Yes. We could ask an administrator at the Mortal Kombat wiki. Dirtbag seems to be a new temporary troll account, or a sockpuppet after all.

I am also uncertain regarding what exactly that needs to be changed. Just listing Shao Kahn's techniques seems fairly harmless. It would have been a different issue if the page had copied large segments of summary text from the MK wiki.
well if you really wanna throw accusations here, take a look at MK wiki for more than a minute and you'll see who's admin there.

do you think some random person would care at all? I've done this before, it's nothing new. this wiki is the only problem that's, well, caused problems.

regardless, this wiki's own problems and my role in it are of no concern to me, the content and its dealing with is the subject.

Okay. That is different then. My apologies. But why do you consider this a problem when only the names of the techniques have been copied, and not any profile text?

We could simply give credit/free advertisement to the Mortal Kombat wiki in the verse page, if you wish?

Antvasima said:
Okay. That is different then. My apologies. But why do you consider this a problem when only the names of the techniques have been copied, and not any profile text?

We could simply give credit/free advertisement to the Mortal Kombat wiki in the verse page, if you wish?
I think you've missed something, but the Shao Kahn page just had most of its content removed. Look at any of the other MK pages like Sub-Zero for instance, and compare it to MK Wiki's. Pretty much half of the page is just copied straight from ours.

We can come to a conclusion once I'm certain you fully understand the issue.

Forgive him, Ant is under allot of stress and he's the head Beuracrat and he does not have time to look into everything all day and night, as he is quite busy and leaves certain things up to other staff.

If you prefer, I stated I am in favor of giving either credit or us finding a knowledgeable MK member that's often here and they could go about their own writings.

Also, Dirtbag, how did you come upon VS Battles and that page?

Looking at the offending parts they were added by older users that are currently inactive. We would not be able to contact some of them.

Would you prefer us to remove or credit MK wiki?

SoyHop said:
Forgive him, Ant is under allot of stress and he's the head Beuracrat and he does not have time to look into everything, as he is quite busy and leaves certain things up to other staff.

If you prefer, I stated I am in favor of giving either credit or us finding a knowledgeable MK member that's often here and they could go about their own writings.

Also, Dirtbag, how did you come upon VS Battles and that page?

Looking at the offending parts they were added byolder users that are currently inactive.
there's no need to apologize, being staff sucks but anyway,

I would rather there be original written content but we can get a few more opinions in here if we want a good conclusion. we can all come to a unanimous decision, I'm sure.

and, if need be, I can write the articles myself. everything on MK Wiki is originally written so it wouldn't be anything new.

If you would like to I personally hold no objection, but keep in mind our mutual wiki guidelines for profiles at the main page.

Also, if you would not like to we can go to our page on users here that are knowledgable about said verse.

That is correct. I work 8 hours a day trying to take care of this extremely chaotic wiki, which is a nigh-impossible task.

I have added a credit to the top of the Mortal Kombat verse page. If you want its text changed, that is no problem.

What else do you wish to have changed? I could ask our members to start to replace character images, if you wish, but do not have the time left over to do so myself.

I've been pretty against copying descriptions from other wiki's pages, not solely because of the copying, but also because I feel it is uncreative. If such a thing is done, it should only be done with the consent of the other wiki, and only if they were okay with it in the first place and not forced into doing so. Because really, it is not too difficult to summarize content in a different way.

For instance, here are two pages I have made: Alvin Murphy (shorter example) and Chara (longer example). Just taking a look at the summaries, both were 100% written by me and me alone based on information from the source material. Another wiki can be used to discover information you might be missing, but it should preferably be worded in a unique way and not just copy/pasted.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if DD has a problem with MK pages having copy/pasted summaries, I can understand his grievances and could probably help in rectifying it.

If you wish to help out by rewriting the content of the pages (other than the statistics, as you will need to start content revision threads for that), that would be very appreciated, yes.

Antvasima said:
If you wish to help out by rewriting the content of the pages (other than the statistics, as you will need to start content revision threads for that), that would be very appreciated, yes.
It would be purely an endeavor based on justifications, ability descriptions, and summaries, not the stats themselves.

Well, the problem is that it is impossible for me to check up which of our 8600 or so profile pages that use copied information. I am overworked from just monitoring that no vandal edits are made, and responding to most content revision threads.

Dirtbag Daryl said:
alright, I supposed it's settled then. we'll wipe the copied stuff and do rewrites, won't be too hard.
appreciate it!
Not a problem. I could help out with some of it, if that would be preferable. However, my knowledge on some of the series' newer entries is fairly limited.

I am jsut redoing the summary entries for the profiles I listed. However I will ask if anyone at the Titanfall wiki is okay with the usage of the information provided as I believe the word for word sumamry is a very proper and concise variation of our own, only needing minor changes. In fact, I placed a notice that they were copied and edited over a month or two ago on those pages, long before this issue.

No problem. Sorry about the trouble. Just leave the statistics alone for the moment. If you wish to change them, we have a policy of first starting content revision threads here in this forum.

Back