• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: Proper use of discussion thread tags/categories

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Whenever you create new discussion threads in this forum, particularly ones focused on revisions, it is extremely important that you properly use tags/categories for them. This is done by checking for and using the exactly worded current titles for the relevant wiki pages for each topic. This usually means the relevant verse page and most important character or item pages for each topic, but can also mean the exactly worded title for a powers and abilities page, for example.

DO NOT EVER USE YOUR OWN PERSONALLY CRAFTED TITLES, ONES THAT BEGIN WITH A # SIGN, OR SIMILAR. ALWAYS USE THE EXACTLY WORDED TITLES FROM OUR WIKI PAGES.

For example, a revision thread focused on the post-Crisis incarnation of Superman should use the tags/categories "Superman (Post-Crisis)", and "DC Comics" (without the quotation marks), NOT "#superman" and "#dc".

If you have created discussion threads with inaccurately worded categories, or are a thread moderator or administrator who notices this, please make continuous corrections whenever you can and wherever it is appropriate, so our forum becomes much better organised and easy to find specific topics in, via links from our wiki or internal searches, and inform other community members who make errors about the information in this thread.

Your help would be extremely appreciated, as this forum is turning into a gigantic mess in this regard.

Versus forum threads should use the tags/categories for the VS Battles Wiki profile pages for the involved characters or teams, and you can also include tags for the verses that they come from if you wish.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Last edited:
Do we have instructions saying this in our main page? If not then maybe we should.
What do you mean with main page? The one for our forum does not seem to allow general information text, and the one for our wiki is mainly directed toward our casual visitors.

Maybe our Discussion Rules page can mention it though?

The discussion and site rules encompass various guidelines regarding hashtags, yet the issue of whether the staff team and community are authorized to administer punishments for the use of "inappropriate" hashtags remains undefined, as there are no established boundaries or definitions in place for such cases.

Last edited:
I have had the experience of not noticing a major revision was happening because the OP had tagged it with a nickname for the verse rather than the actual verse name, and I've seen other incorrect tags used which are completely worthless for finding the thread. So I agree with this, thanks for your ongoing work, Antvasima.

Edit: ideally, versus threads should probably have the verse tagged too though.

Last edited:
The discussion and site rules encompass various guidelines regarding hashtags, yet the issue of whether the staff team and community are authorized to administer punishments for the use of "inappropriate" hashtags remains undefined, as there are no established boundaries or definitions in place for such cases.
Do those guidelines match what I said above?

That's great! Now I don't have to waste time and continuously think about which tags to use on the discussions template of pages, because sometimes, personally crafted tags are more popular than the actual tag, which should be the title of the page.

Music to my ears.

Not including verse tags for versus threads is just asking to make it way more difficult to find threads concerning a certain verse in general on this regard, I recall we allowed them in general before the forum move. Any particular reason for the change if anything?

That's great! Now I don't have to waste time and continuously think about which tags to use on the discussions template of pages, because sometimes, personally crafted tags are more popular than the actual tag, which should be the title of the page.

Music to my ears.
Well, our thread moderators and administrators still have to help out with massive amounts of discussion thread cleanup work to help fix this problem.

@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Eficiente @DarkGrath @Moritzva @DemonGodMitchAubin @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo @Lonkitt @LephyrTheRevanchist @Deagonx

Your help in this regard would be extremely appreciated.

Not including verse tags for versus threads is just asking to make it way more difficult to find threads concerning a certain verse in general on this regard, I recall we allowed them in general before the forum move. Any particular reason for the change if anything?
Well, the verse tags are supposed to mainly be used to find important content revision threads, as there will be too much comparatively irrelevant spam otherwise. The character tags will also still be used for versus threads.

Okay then, I'll try to assist on the other end by making sure that the pages I encounter have discussions template tag link be identical to the page name (as much as possible, of course excluding the special characters), if that's alright. Though, I've been doing this already before.

Well, the verse tags are supposed to mainly be used to find important content revision threads, as there will be too much comparatively irrelevant spam otherwise. The character tags will also still be used for versus threads.
Merely using the search feature within the Content Revision board (yes, it's possible to search only on a specific subforum) while looking for the verse's name on the title (and as a tag with how XenForo works) would filter out this kind of stuff, so this change seems rather unecessary if that's the only concern.

Merely using the search feature within the Content Revision board (yes, it's possible to search only on a specific subforum) while looking for the verse's name on the title (and as a tag with how XenForo works) would filter out this kind of stuff, so this change seems rather unecessary if that's the only concern.
Well, the sheer number of sum total versus threads for popular verses tend to drown out the content revision threads.

Thank you. Please help out by correcting the tags of other threads as well though.

Thank you. It is very appreciated.

People who improperly tag their threads are not very nice and are absolutely chaotic elements to this already chaotic corner of the internet.

So, yes, you have my support on this topic.

People who improperly tag their threads are not very nice and are absolutely chaotic elements to this already chaotic corner of the internet.

So, yes, you have my support on this topic.
Well, I didn't say anything about their personal characters. I just gave instructions for much improved organisation.

I feel that the proper use of discussion thread tags is necessary. I have found that there are something which is not covered in this proposal.

First, there are pages which have long name and the discussion thread tags such as:
And that's why I have put the note at the head of the profile. I have to shorten the discussion thread tags due to the limitation of length of the tag name.
Are there any guidelines regarding this?

Second, the forum is used by VS Battles Wiki, FC/OC Wiki, and Joke Battle Wiki. While VS Battles Wiki has a good page naming tradition, FC/OC Wiki and Joke Battle Wiki may have names which have the same name to the page in VS Battles Wiki. I feel that solving such conflicting names are necessary.

First, there are pages which have long name and the discussion thread tags such as:
And that's why I have put the note at the head of the profile. I have to shorten the discussion thread tags due to the limitation of length of the tag name.
If it's specifically for that, I don't think so. Also, tags can only have a maximum of 50 characters, so we'll need to work our way around that.

Well, we have to start with our thread moderators and administrators checking through the discussion threads in this forum from the past almost 3 years to systematically replace wrongly named tags. They can also click on the wrongly named tags in order to list all pages that need to have them replaced with correctly named ones.

The Joke Battles and FC/OC forums having some overlapping tags is a considerably lesser problem.

Also, ImmortalDread mentioned to me in private that our wiki's tags explanation page needs to be updated with new information.

I suppose that we have to shorten it down, in lack of better options.

Is there any example of that, since I am sure, they have nickname.
This one perhaps?

I feel that the proper use of discussion thread tags is necessary. I have found that there are something which is not covered in this proposal.

Second, the forum is used by VS Battles Wiki, FC/OC Wiki, and Joke Battle Wiki. While VS Battles Wiki has a good page naming tradition, FC/OC Wiki and Joke Battle Wiki may have names which have the same name to the page in VS Battles Wiki. I feel that solving such conflicting names are necessary.
For this one, how about we shorten terms as much as possible, such as "Television Series" to "TV Series" instead?

Simply use the alternative name above. There are many anime series with this long names, but they do indeed have short Japanese names.

Back