• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Legacy of Kain - Full Verse Revision, Page Overhaul, New Power Page

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
So about... early on in 2023, I started getting into the Legacy of Kain series. They're quite interesting games for the record, all flawed but still very worth getting into. Well, as might be obvious, later in that year I started getting an idea to revise its currently kind of lacking profiles- somewhat of a daunting task- there's six games and plenty of word of god to sit through, but, well, here we are. I've been very burnt out on VSBW lately, but I did have fun working on this.

A few things​

Before showing the results, this is a verse that makes very liberal use of time travel, so it should come as no surprise that Legacy of Kain scaling is an ouroboros of fuckiness. This is mainly because of Blood Omen 2, which was written by a different team from the one that made Soul Reaver 1/2/Defiance and while the latter tried to make it fit in, it kind of clearly doesn't at times. So, here's two things I wanna lay out explicitly rather than just leaving people to look at the profiles. Something you should know beforehand is that the series' chronological order goes Blood Omen 1 - Blood Omen 2 - Soul Reaver - Soul Reaver 2 - Defiance. Well sort of, again time travel is involved, but as far as the two main characters' story goes, that holds up. There is (was- it was a multiplayer game that got taken down cause it didn't make enough money) a sixth game called Nosgoth, but it didn't feature them.
  • The Soul Reaver​

• The semi-titular, very very important, soul-sucking, self-cannibalizing, paradox-inducing, actually-Raziel-in-a-trenchcoat sword is kind of a mess. Consistently considered THE strongest weapon in the setting, it pairs its ability to devour souls (or just blood before fusing with Raziel) with great Attack Potency, which is part of what makes this such a threat as both the Guardians of the Circle and vampires (As well as characters like the Hylden Lord and the Elder God) are canonically capable of resisting its hax (Nothing in LoK is immune to it, but a lot of people take more than one hit for it to hurt them to a lethal degree). So, that AP causes a bit of a problem as all across the series, people are capable of tanking the Reaver's AP, but still threatened by it (The Guardians are capable of tanking it in BO1, Vorador and Janos survive a blast from it in BO2, and so on). This causes issues. Dumah in SR1 can straight-up laugh it off while much stronger people like Kain is destined to be killed by it. So, given that in Blood Omen 1 the Reaver's power depends on your MP reserves, and that in SR2 upgrades to the Wraith Reaver also enhance Raziel's health, I'm just going to conclude that the Reaver's AP depends on that of its wielder (this does not mean they scale to it, it's still way stronger), therefore putting it in a nice comfy "Varies" bubble where it is no longer capable of causing me a mild headache.
Also I'm deleting its page, it's only relevantly used by Kain, and the earliest version (which is like, 5 powers) of it by Janos. The Wraith Blade is its own thing unique to Raziel, and William the Just isn't getting a page, so I don't think it's necessary to have it.
  • The Hylden Lord

• He sucks. He's a boss in BO1, BO2 and Defiance, which means he literally scales to every single instance of Kain, fighting the earliest version of him and Defiance Kain, who is equal to the latest version, which obviously makes no sense given that vampires get stronger over time (and that the LoK dev team considered Elder Kain to be far stronger than his BO2 version, capable of dispatching foes that the latter could not). So what we're gonna do here is use the Defiance strategy guide's statements that beings possessed by the Hylden are stronger than they were before and that Hylden can draw power from vampiric bodies, making it so that the HL can be weaker when possessing Mortanius (BO1) and stronger when possessing Janos Audron (Defiance) compared to his real body (Fought in BO2).
I'm otherwise not using the guide for anything other than stating out things that are visibly true in the games, you could get MHS+ out of a statement in it, but I don't think that's really substantiated in the series proper.

The Actual Profiles​

As there is a massive amount of pages I plan to revise, I am only bringing three that are 100% done here. Kain and Raziel, the two protagonists, and a power page for Vampire Physiology, which is necessary for the majority of the verse's pages. Here is the sandbox. Most of it is very straightforward I think, though with some unfortunately clunky tabbers in P&A born of the... well, clunky timeline of the series. Still, I am a bit proud of my work. I added a "Quotes" section to Kain's profile which I realize may be a bit controversial, but I figure that if a Gallery is an accepted method for showcasing a series' visual style, it should be fine to have a section for showcasing a series' writing style, and as an extremely elaborately and elegantly written character, Kain deserves that, in my opinion. Also, his profile should be unlocked (seriously, why is it even locked??) and renamed to Kain (Legacy of Kain)

This is the sandbox where the P&A for all other characters is listed. Not as elegant, but it is final, as I do need to get it approved. Also, here are the blogs that store the new calculations of the verse. List of Feats 1 (I stored a few spare calc-less feats at the bottom of this page, which I will remove when the respective characters get page overhauls), List of Feats 2, Raziel Destroys Ice. All approved, of course. Some older calcs are also used.

Sources​

Unlike most verses I scale, Legacy of Kain has a large amount of Word of God and other possibly questionable material to draw from, so I wanna go through it real quick.
  • Nosgoth: The 2013 to 2016 cancelled multiplayer soft reboot of the series never actually hit 1.0, it only managed to be available as an open beta. I don't think there's gonna be much controversy about this being viable given it was publicly available to be played for years, and several official lore blogs were posted on its (now defunct, but thankfully archived) official website. The game itself is basically lost media by now (official trailers are still up nearly a decade later, and that's what I used for it), but the lore stuff is all thankfully saved.
  • Strategy Guides: I view these as support-only material - most times I use pictures of them it's just because they're the easiest way to showcase a gameplay mechanic that isn't explicitly tutorialized. The biggest notable thing in them is the Lightning Demons' statements of attacking at lightning speed, which come from Defiance's Strategy Guide. This is ultimately subjective but with little backing in the games proper (they're vaguely compared to lightning in the SR2 website, and that's about it), I'd rather err on the safe side and not use it, given the series barely breaks into Supersonic without.
  • Daniel Cabuco's forum: Daniel Cabuco was LoK's main art director (With the exceptions of the Blood Omen games), and in the early 2010s ran a forum where people asked him all sorts of stuff. There may be some skepticism in treating an art director's WoG as gospel, but I think it absolutely should be. He's clearly extremely knowledgeable on the lore and while he may not have been the one to think of most of these things, he was clearly in the writer's room when they were set in stone, given that he's very clearly aware of the writing process that went on behind the scenes, and typically what he describes is not his own headcanon, but what was accepted to be canon by the writers (and is generally not adding new things but just explaining ambiguities in the original material). When something is just his own opinion, he says as much, and I did not list those things. Another issue is that the blog itself is down (it was breaking down but still up by the time I began work on the series, but seems to have given up the ghost by now), but luckily there is a transcript of all relevant stuff that I link to. Would be quite tragic if it was completely lost.
  • Other Word of God: Comes from writers of the series in interviews and the like- simple enough.
By the way, I guess I should give credits, I got a lot of scans from the very well-made Reddit respect threads (Unfortunately they used Gfycat so now they're all down, which is quite tragic), and a few of them from this page on another VS wiki. Also I got a few things (mostly renders and links to strategy guides) from the Spacebattles respect thread, which is also very well made. Aside from specific battle-boarding stuff there's a lot of Legacy of Kain websites that made this infinitely easier and are overall great documentations of the series: The Legacy of Kain Wiki, Dark Chronicle: A Legacy of Kain Fan Archive, Tales of Nosgoth, Nosgothic Realm, and others.

Last edited:
Just looking at the physiology page (since I hate how a lot of those are used anyhow, even if this seems a valid case of it)...

You should make sure to specify it's vampire physiology from Legacy of Kain when it's published

Accelerated development/transformation seems more along the lines of Reactive Evolution, gaining new abilities in response to an effect more than becoming stronger at a rapid rate from training or other mundane activities

Accelerated development/transformation seems more along the lines of Reactive Evolution, gaining new abilities in response to an effect more than becoming stronger at a rapid rate from training or other mundane activities
It's not really reactive though, cause it happens overtime

It is then gaining new abilities based on outside stimuli (which they don't seem to obtain by just training), so there is some degree of reaction even if it's very prolonged

I wouldn't consider it outside stimuli, it's just a natural biological process (Well, they're magical beings so not really "natural")

Last edited:
Hi I'm the one who made the Respect thread on Spacebattles, glad you liked it.

Very good improvement of the profile (much better than the one before), I will say a few things though:
1) Elder Kain AP: Elder Kain's AP should be much higher that Building level.

The adult members of the Melchiah Vampire Clan, the Melchiahim, are able to carve through several meters of stone with their bare hands in a matter of seconds, and these do it several vampires, and are equally powerful). These vampires were created with portions of the soul of their father Melchiah, who created at least 600 vampires (Each clan created at least "Hundreds of sons", which means at least 200, and the Melchiahim outnumber the Turel by 3 to 1, so at least 600 Melchiahim), the power of the vampire depends on the portion of the soul used, being that Melchiah created many sons but weaker, while Turel created "few" but more powerful.

This is important because it is the same method that Kain used to create his children, giving them "small portions of his soul", being that Melchiah is the weakest son being the last one created and the one who received the smallest portion of soul, being so small that his flesh falls apart, and this does not happen even with the other vampires of the other clans, even though they created "hundreds of vampires".

This means that a Melchiahim vampire has a very small fraction (a 1/600th part) of the power of his father Melchiah, who in turn was created with the smallest portion of the "small portions of soul" that he used to create his children, that is to say that Melchiah alone has only a very small fraction of the power of Eider Kain.

By simple mathematics Elder Kain is at least several thousand times stronger than the Melchiahim.

Ideally, someone would have to calculate the feat of the Melchiahim, and Elder Kain would scale this, it would be something towards:

At least "Insert Level of feat", likely Far Higher (Melchiahim vampires are able to carve with their bare hands over several meters of stone in a few seconds, these vampires have a very small fraction of the power of their father Melchiah, being created with a very small portion of his soul/power, and Melchiah in turn, only has a small portion of Kain's power, due to being created with the smallest of the "Small portions of Soul" that he use to create his children, which includes Melchiah, being the weakest of his sons).

Speed: Elder Kain, should be "Massively Hypersonic+" in combat reaction as the official guide does not contradict nothing and in fact is supported with the Lore, as the UK version of Soul Reaver 1 manual, confirms that vampires also increase their speed as they evolve, and 2000 years pass between Kain dodging arrows (Blood Omen 1) to Kain dodging/reflecting Lightning (LOK Defiance), more than enough time to have greatly increased his speed.

Abilities:
1) Electricity Manipulation for the Soul Reaver: I am sure that the Soul Reaver does not have this ability, and that it is simply that Kain projected his Lightning with the hand that had the Soul Reaver, since in the final fight of Soul Reaver 1, he uses exactly the same attack without the Soul Reaver.

2) Law Manipulation: This should be in the Scion of Balance key, as Kain doesn't have this power until he is purified at the End of Defiance

Scion of Balance:
I recommend delete the "End of Defiance" key (both Kain's, and the "Purified Soul Reaver") and replace it with "Scion of Balance", as multiple developers, as well as the game's own script confirm that what is purified, was Kain not the Soul Reaver.

Scion of Balance AP: While this is controversial Kain as Scion of Balance in AP should be: At Least Planet Level, at Most Universe level.

While it sounds crazy, Daniel Cabuco's statement is as follows: "The Scion of Balance balances the entire world/universe and therefore is able to attack/hurt the Elder God".

Here is not only talking about a special ability, but also about power, there is another statement from Daniel, that confirms that Kain absorbed the combined power of the Balance Guardians, here there's another statement saying that Kain was "Elevated" into the Scion of Balance, when he was purified.

This besides this being supported by the game itself, since in the gameplay the Spirit Reaver is several times more powerful than the other Reavers (the souls of the Balance Guardians increased their power, something confirmed by the game's script and the Officials Guide).

And as Ariel explain to Raziel, the Spirit Reaver is made explicitly to purify Kain (is "Endowed for the Scion of Balance"), so it would not make sense that the Soul Reaver would increase its power, but Kain did not when the sword was made to purify him (and there are several statements that Kain increased its power).

Scion of Balance Abilities:​

Kain as Scion of Balance is able to use the abilities of the other guardians of the People of Nosgoth, but on a smaller scale.

However there are many abilities that are not in the profile:

Pillar of the Mind:
- Passive Telepathy/Empathy: Mind Guardians (in this case Nupraptor), are described as "Hypersensitive to people's thoughts and emotions" (being able to read thoughts and feel emotions), being something that even gave Nupaptor mental instability, as it was not something he could control (it is passive), Nupaptor also felt Kain's presence as soon as he entered his lair.

Nupraptor also has able to send a Telepathic Blast Across Nosgoth, to Infect the other Guardians of the Pillars with Madness.

- Illusion Creation & Limited Duplication: The Guardians of the Mind proved to be able to create Illusions, either spheres (Nupraptor) or copies of oneself (The Original Guardian of the Mind), these Illusions in both cases do real damage to the enemy (Kain or Raziel), and in the case of the copies they can also use the other abilities of the Guardian (in this case shoot projectiles), but they are destroyed in one hit.

Pillar of Dimension:

Pillar of Conflict:
- Summoning: They are capable of summoning "Shades", shadow creatures that are not harmed by normal weapons.

Pillar of Nature:
- Animal and Plant Manipulation: The Guardians of Nature are able to control plants, animals and all natural forms of life on Nosgoth.

- Biological Manipulation, Power Modification and Elemental Manipulation: The Guardians of Nature are able to animate plants, as well as deform animals, creating "New and weird life forms for his own purposes". They can also manipulate the elements and control the weather at will. They also are described to being able "Warp creatures growth and abilities"

Pillar of Energy:

Also with the Tempest Cloak ability, using the energy of the environment they can surround their body or that of their allies, with a "Shocking Force", which causes the physical damage received to be returned in the same proportion to the attacker.

Pillar of Time:
- Time Manipulation: Time Guardians are able to slow down or speed up time in an area. They can also can cast a projectile that slows down the creature that impacts, and likely can stop time (They are described to "Kept in Check the movement of time", and Kain himself has the Incapacitate spell that freezes creatures in time.

- Retrocgnition/Clairvoyance/Precognition: Time Guardians are described as having "Some Level of Omnicience", being able to see any event either in the past, present or future, (at least hundreds of years ago/forward), even being able to see different paths or possibilities within that timeline.

Summoning: They can summon people from the past, present and/or future (Moebius summons a future version of Kain).

Pillar of States:
- I would add Matter Manipulation and Transmutation to their abilities: since they are described to "Preside over the shapes and forms of all physical matter", being able to control shape and change the state of matter at will. They are also able to "Warp the States of matter to make them different", how to transform common earth into lava (Transmutation).

Pillar of Death:

Last edited:
Hi I'm the one who made the Respect thread on Spacebattles, glad you liked it.

Very good improvement of the profile (much better than the one before), I will say a few things though:
1) Elder Kain AP: Elder Kain's AP should be much higher that Building level.

The adult members of the Melchiah Vampire Clan, the Melchiahim, are able to carve through several meters of stone with their bare hands in a matter of seconds, and these do it several vampires, and are equally powerful).
I'll get into why I disagree but for the sake of clarity, I don't think it would get so much higher.

I dislike the current digging calc (and in fact recently made a thread to remove it), but treating it as valid, and multiplying by 4200 (600 x 7), you'd get this: 7.6714747357545e+4 / 2.44 * 2000 = 132049974.96 Joules (Small Building level) if it was soil, and 7036721311.47 Joules (Building level+) if it was solid rock. Latter is a bit higher than current ratings, and the former, which is likely the more accurate one (I don't see a reason to assume it's stone, given the general color and environment), is lower. Bear in mind this is with a sort of suspicious calc method, and the result is likely a few times lower.

Now admittedly there are the Turelim in Nosgoth (game) that have a 9-A feat (it's the highest one BO1 Kain scales to, in fact), but those are elite-ish warriors so I wouldn't assume them to have just a hundredth of Turel's soul.
These vampires were created with portions of the soul of their father Melchiah, who created at least 600 vampires (Each clan created at least "Hundreds of sons", which means at least 200, and the Melchiahim outnumber the Turel by 3 to 1, so at least 600 Melchiahim), the power of the vampire depends on the portion of the soul used, being that Melchiah created many sons but weaker, while Turel created "few" but more powerful.

This is important because it is the same method that Kain used to create his children, giving them "small portions of his soul", being that Melchiah is the weakest son being the last one created and the one who received the smallest portion of soul, being so small that his flesh falls apart, and this does not happen even with the other vampires of the other clans, even though they created "hundreds of vampires".

This means that a Melchiahim vampire has a very small fraction (a 1/600th part) of the power of his father Melchiah, who in turn was created with the smallest portion of the "small portions of soul" that he used to create his children, that is to say that Melchiah alone has only a very small fraction of the power of Eider Kain.
I disagree with getting a massive multiplier out of this. While it's true that the smaller the portion of soul, the weaker the vampire, there is no reason to assume this is 1 to 1. The age of a vampire is very relevant to their power too (Raziel would have eventually surpassed Kain, despite only having a small-ish portion of his soul, because Kain's spawn grow in power faster than him, and Turel becomes strong enough to probably be on Defiance Kain's level), as are other external factors (Dumah becomes massively powerful despite his body never aging after it gets paralyzed).

Ultimately there's never a statement that a vampire's portion of Kain's soul is 1 to 1 with its power, though it's certainly a factor, body size, training, age and other things all have an impact and it seems to me that any vampire has a "base" level of power no matter how minuscule their amount of given soul is.
Speed: Elder Kain, should be "Massively Hypersonic+" in combat reaction as the official guide does not contradict nothing and in fact is supported with the Lore, as the UK version of Soul Reaver 1 manual, confirms that vampires also increase their speed as they evolve, and 2000 years pass between Kain dodging arrows (Blood Omen 1) to Kain dodging/reflecting Lightning (LOK Defiance), more than enough time to have greatly increased his speed.
What do you mean it's supported by the lore? If there's actual backing in canon for their specific attack being lightning speed I don't mind MHS+, but just vague mentions of lightning aren't enough. I have no doubt vampires grow in speed, but that itself is not enough to justify such a huge leap.
Abilities:
1) Electricity Manipulation for the Soul Reaver: I am sure that the Soul Reaver does not have this ability, and that it is simply that Kain projected his Lightning with the hand that had the Soul Reaver, since in the final fight of Soul Reaver 1, he uses exactly the same attack without the Soul Reaver.
Hm, fair point.
2) Law Manipulation: This should be in the Scion of Balance key, as Kain doesn't have this power until he is purified at the End of Defiance

Scion of Balance:
I recommend delete the "End of Defiance" key (both Kain's, and the "Purified Soul Reaver") and replace it with "Scion of Balance", as multiple developers, as well as the game's own script confirm that what is purified, was Kain not the Soul Reaver.
I think the Reaver is also being empowered, given statements that it could purify the pillars. However you're right about the rest, and I will move a few powers to his "Kain" side of Scion of Balance P&A rather than "Inherent" or "Purified Reaver".

I will however keep the Scion of Balance-related immortality/fate manip on his "Inherent" tab given it's something that saves him before he gets the full power and is overall passively protecting him through the entire series
Scion of Balance AP: While this is controversial Kain as Scion of Balance in AP should be: At Least Planet Level, at Most Universe level.

While it sounds crazy, Daniel Cabuco's statement is as follows: "The Scion of Balance balances the entire world/universe and therefore is able to attack/hurt the Elder God".

Here is not only talking about a special ability, but also about power, there is another statement from Daniel, that confirms that Kain absorbed the combined power of the Balance Guardians, here there's another statement saying that Kain was "Elevated" into the Scion of Balance, when he was purified.

This besides this being supported by the game itself, since in the gameplay the Spirit Reaver is several times more powerful than the other Reavers (the souls of the Balance Guardians increased their power, something confirmed by the game's script and the Officials Guide).

And as Ariel explain to Raziel, the Spirit Reaver is made explicitly to purify Kain (is "Endowed for the Scion of Balance"), so it would not make sense that the Soul Reaver would increase its power, but Kain did not when the sword was made to purify him (and there are several statements that Kain increased its power).
I saw these arguments in a few of your respect threads (I think?) but I disagree with them. The Elder God is massive in scope, but he cannot summon his full power freely, and to affect large areas he must affect them overtime. Hurting him isn't necessarily a feat of any particular power (Well, besides the fact that these specific manifestations of him are still quite strong).

I presume the main argument is the balancing of the universe but that does not qualify for those ratings for several reasons. Looking at our requirements for Stabilization Feats:
  1. Specify what exactly is being stabilized so that it is made clear what the character's sustainability is doing precisely. - I don't think this is met, "balancing Nosgoth" undoes/prevents its corruption, the Scion's absence does not directly cause its destruction, it just gets corrupted overtime. In my interpretation it's some form of law manip, rather than sustainment of the material essence of Nosgoth (Intended as either the planet or the universe, to be clear)
  2. Prove that the stabilized structure is being directly sustained by the power of the character and not from the character's abilities, life force, existence, magical properties, or any unknown connection that is independent of their statistics. - I disagree with your interpretation in this regard too. I don't doubt Kain gets much stronger as the Scion, but him becoming stronger and him becoming able to balance the universe are different things that just so happen to be both caused by the same- after all, while all the Guardians we see are quite strong, they do not need any particular level of power to carry out their duties (Kain was doing just fine as a toddler, in the first years after Nupraptor's madness), so I don't think the Scion's power is related to his duty either (directly, that is. He must be strong enough to fight the EG)
  3. Prove that the character's stabilization is comparable to the scale of the structure they are stabilizing. [...] Please keep in mind that this may vary depending on how the structure's destruction would occur. For example, if a character sustains the existence of a universe that would not be instantly or immediately destroyed when no longer supported, the power of their sustainability would not be comparable to destructive output that completely and immediately destroys a universe, and would not be sufficient enough to be given a 3-A or Low 2-C rating. - Nosgoth, without a true Scion of Balance, remains intact, if slowly corrupting, for thousands of years, and continues even in points of it where Kain doesn't exist at all.
None of these three are met. As a side note, I wouldn't use the spirit reaver killing in X times less the amount of hits to assume it's X times more powerful than previous versions, AP does not scale directly with the amount of hits you can survive (You could survive 15 punches from someone equal to you, but a punch 15x stronger than that would absolutely kill or maim you)
The reason I didn't add those is because, not knowing just how much of the powers Kain inherits (as you say, they're on a smaller scale) I didn't want to assume he could replicate any of their specific showings.

I'm sorry that the answer is so disorganized, but I don't have much time, and besides I don't have time, I have to translate the whole answer, so apologies if i take too long to answer:

About Kain's Strength Scaling:
There are moments when it is clearly stone, that the Melchiah carve through (second 0:40 to 1:00. 1:08-1:12 or 1:24-1:50).

There is also the fact that Kain is "One of the Strongest vampires that ever existed", and that the Melchiahim are described as "The lowest form of vampires", basically the weakest, so in any case he would still scale far above them, even if we ignore the whole soul thing.

However, I know either age or mutations increased the power of the vampires, literally in scale of power they remained the same, Melchiah the weakest, then Zephon and Rahab, Dumah and Turel are different, but the order is probably the same, Dumah increased his power because vampires become more powerful while his soul is in the spectral plane, and Tyrell was an undetermined amount of time in the Cathedral of Avernus.

Let's remember that Kain created his children 500 years after Blood Omen 1 (or 100 years after Blood Omen 2), and he was already much more powerful than in both games having evolved in those 100 years (he was already an "Elder" by then), he created them with a small portion of soul/power.

And after that, all of his children evolved in the same way with the "State of Change", becoming more powerful, but this also includes Kain, the power difference was still there, with Kain being likely at least a tens of times stronger than Melchiah, Zephon and Rahab. Like I said Melchiah was given a portion of Kain's soul so small that his body falls apart, and thus doesn't happen to the children of Melchiah brothers, despite that they created "hundreds of vampires", that would mean that the portion of Soul that Kain use to create him is smaller than that, so the minimum is that Kain would be tens of times stronger than Melchiah, if not hundreds if we going by a High-End.

The exception are Dumah and Turel, who had extra things to increase their power.

About Raziel surpassing Kain in power I don't know where it is said, the only thing that happens is that Raziel evolves before Kain, but this does not mean that he is more powerful, this is seen in the Intro of Soul Reaver 2 when Kain humiliates Raziel in physical strength (and Wraith Raziel is much stronger as a Wraith than as a vampire, being able to do things that would cost him to do as a vampire, "effortlessly" as a Wraith).

We can also have a minimum of Kain's strength increase, you calculated the Kain from Blood Omen 1, being able to move 10 tons by the end of the game (this with effort as seen since he uses his whole body, and takes over when moving the boulders), yet as an Elder he was able to humiliate Wraith Raziel effortlessly, someone who was able to bring down a 553 tons stone obelik casually, (and move another hundreds of tons many other times).

Going by the lower number, assuming Kain can only move 553 tons, being equally strong as Raziel (which is clearly not the case, given that Raziel's feats of moving the hundreds of tons are done explicitly "Effortlessly"/"Easily", and when he knocks down the stone obelisk he is not seen to make any effort. Kain is also clearly far superior in physical strength to Raziel, considering that Raziel using both arms and exerting himself, is not able to move Kain's arm, who only speaks casually).

I'm going to use Kain's calculation in Blood Omen 1 by breaking the stones as a base.

Then it would be: 36,685,792.8334 Joules×53 (from moving 10 tons to 553): 1,944,347,020.1702 Joules.

Again this using the lowest possible interpretation, when in reality the number is probably multiple times higher.

As for speed we have that vampires become faster as they evolve, and that Kain had no less than 1600 years of evolution to increase his speed (since Blood Omen 2), that's a LONG time, as for the speed of the projectiles, the official guide says explicitly that they are "As quick and deadly as a Lightning Bolt from the sky", it's not like the guide contradicts anything in the games and it's official information, there's no reason to ignore it, besides there are literally no Anti-Feats to discard this feat, the only person who hits Kain in cinematics is Raziel himself, who literally has the same feat of reflecting/dodging the projectile at point blank range.

As for the power of the Scion of Balance, I base this on Daniel statement, the Scion of Balance balancing the world/universe is the explicit REASON why Kain it is able to "Hurt" the Elder God, this is his "Power/Ability":

"And just on the balance guardian, I get the role they played and understand the scions part but what specific powers did they have? Like how bane had power over nature and mortanius over death. What powers could the balance guardian use specifically?"

"I always saw the Balance Guardian as being able to draw upon the other's abilities (or build up his/her own) in order to kill off any other guardian should they go astray. The Scion of Balance balances the entire world/universe and therefor is able to attack/hurt the Elder God."
- Daniel Cabuco.

This added to Daniel's other statements that explicitly say that Kain absorbed the power of the Balance Guardians, and that was "Elevated" by it (which I show above).

The Scion of Balance is a special figure even among the guardians (not for nothing he has a unique immortality after all, besides other things), the Scion of Balance is the power/souls of all Balance Guardians that existed within a single body (Kain).

And as for the Spirit Reaver being several times more powerful, I base this on the damage caused to Janos Audron, as the Spirit Reaver takes away in one hit, what an entire combo of the normal Soul Reaver takes away. Besides of course the guide and the game script confirm that it is indeed more powerful.

We also see that when Raziel attacks the Elder God with the normal Soul Reaver/Wraith Blade, in the material realm, the only thing he can do is move his tentacles but it doesn't hurt him at all, as the normal Soul Reaver doesn't do anything to him, so clearly he has "Durability". But when Kain (after being purified) attacks the Elder God he makes screams of pain and blood comes out, and Kain himself says he can hurt him now, so clearly there was an increase in power (plus as I said Daniel's multiple statements).

I said, that Balancing the entire/world universe and the power increase for the Soul Reaver are the same thing. The only caracteristics that the Spirit Reaver shown besides purifying, is that is more powerful there the other Reaver's, because the sword absorb the power/souls of the Balance Guardian (this confirmed as I shown by gameplay, Script and Official Guides)

Also for me make more sense because the reason of why the Elder God is invulnerable to physical damage, is because the guy is a Multi-Dimensional creature, if the Elder God can be damage only beacuse "Multi-Dimensional" attacks and not for raw power, the Spirit Reaver, that also is Multi-Dimensional should have to damage him.

As the Scion of Balance Kain absorbed the Souls of the Balance Guardian, increasing his power and is because this that as the Scion of Balance he "Balances the entire world/universe" and is able to harm the Elder God.

I really don't think that the two things are different. But is only difference of opinion, so no problem if you don't put it in the profile.

If Daniel makes another Podcast answering question, I would make sure of asking this haha.

Speaking of the Soul Reaver, it would have to undergo a pretty big upgrade in power, easily dozens of times, even hundreds (depending of the version), considering that it is capable of blowing into multiple small pieces enemies that Raziel cannot kill, such as vampires (no matter how many hits) in a single blow. Or in Soul Reaver 2, after having a boost in power, is practically vaporize the Black Demons (I'm not sure about the level of destruction, it destroys completely their entire body in one hit, leaving only a pool of blood). This demons are stated to be close in power to him (They are the strongest enemies in game, and the official German guide says that Wraith Raziel can't easily defeated them, even when striking "With all his Might"). And as I said before, it doesn't seem right to me to ignore official information just for the sake of it, when it literally contradicts nothing.

Regarding the powers of the Scion of Balance the statement says that it can use the powers of the Pillars/Guardians, in general, only "Through a lesser extent" than the specific Guardian of its pillar, it doesn't make sense that it can use some powers and not others randomly just because, in THAT case the statement would have to be something like this: "He can use SOME of the powers of all the guardians to accomplish this goal, though to a lesser extent than the pure circle members".

Kain can use all of them, but to a lesser extent.

An example would be two people lifting weights, but the second person at a "less extent" than the first. The first one can lift up to 100 kg over his head, while the other can lift 60 kg, both lift weights, but the second one has a lower strength and therefore lifts less, not that he directly CANNOT lift them.

This is the same thing that happens with Kain and the powers of the guardians.

Of course this would have to be clarified within the profile something like:

"As Scion of Balance, Kain can use the powers of the guardians of the Pillars of Nosgoth, albeit on a smaller scale than these."

For example the Tempest Cloak's ability, it would have to say: "Using the powers of the Guardian of Energy, Kain can create a shocking force around his body and that of his allies, which allows him to return PART of the physical damage received."

Something like that with these types of specific abilities.

In another thing completely different:

To be honest I'm not sure about using Nosgoth's feats as canon, it never had an official release per se, and it contradicts the Lore established in the games: In the original saga Kain did not devolve in the hundreds of years after the intro of Soul Reaver 2, it is as you say, because Kain evolves differently (although it is never specific that he is slower, in fact if we go by the intro of the game, and other materials, Kain always evolves first and in the same way as the rest with a "State of Change"), while according to the Nosgoth game, Kain did not devolve because he traveled in time.

I'm sorry that the answer is so disorganized, but I don't have much time, and besides I don't have time, I have to translate the whole answer, so apologies if i take too long to answer:
Totally fine, don't worry.
About Kain's Strength Scaling:
There are moments when it is clearly stone, that the Melchiah carve through (second 0:40 to 1:00. 1:08-1:12 or 1:24-1:50).
Fair enough. Where exactly are you getting the timeframes for them digging, though? They don't seem to be taking 5 seconds to me.
There is also the fact that Kain is "One of the Strongest vampires that ever existed", and that the Melchiahim are described as "The lowest form of vampires", basically the weakest, so in any case he would still scale far above them, even if we ignore the whole soul thing.
This is definitely true but there would be no multiplier to be gleaned.
However, I know either age or mutations increased the power of the vampires, literally in scale of power they remained the same, Melchiah the weakest, then Zephon and Rahab, Dumah and Turel are different, but the order is probably the same, Dumah increased his power because vampires become more powerful while his soul is in the spectral plane, and Tyrell was an undetermined amount of time in the Cathedral of Avernus.
I know this is true, but it does mean that a vampire's soul isn't 1 to 1 with its power because there's other factors. The general power order remains the same, but there's no reason to know that the exact differences in power do.
And after that, all of his children evolved in the same way with the "State of Change", becoming more powerful, but this also includes Kain, the power difference was still there, with Kain being likely at least a tens of times stronger than Melchiah, Zephon and Rahab. Like I said Melchiah was given a portion of Kain's soul so small that his body falls apart, and thus doesn't happen to the children of Melchiah brothers, despite that they created "hundreds of vampires", that would mean that the portion of Soul that Kain use to create him is smaller than that, so the minimum is that Kain would be tens of times stronger than Melchiah, if not hundreds if we going by a High-End.
This is all assumptions, though. You're probably right generally but you can't get a specific number from it.
About Raziel surpassing Kain in power I don't know where it is said, the only thing that happens is that Raziel evolves before Kain, but this does not mean that he is more powerful, this is seen in the Intro of Soul Reaver 2 when Kain humiliates Raziel in physical strength (and Wraith Raziel is much stronger as a Wraith than as a vampire, being able to do things that would cost him to do as a vampire, "effortlessly" as a Wraith).
I never said he does surpass Kain, I said that he eventually would, if he remained a vampire, because he started evolving faster than Kain did.
We can also have a minimum of Kain's strength increase, you calculated the Kain from Blood Omen 1, being able to move 10 tons by the end of the game (this with effort as seen since he uses his whole body, and takes over when moving the boulders), yet as an Elder he was able to humiliate Wraith Raziel effortlessly, someone who was able to bring down a 553 tons stone obelik casually, (and move another hundreds of tons many other times).
There's literal millennia between those, though. Also the obelisk is only tipped over and Raziel doesn't directly scale to it, though he does still have feats around 300 tons.
I'm going to use Kain's calculation in Blood Omen 1 by breaking the stones as a base.

Then it would be: 36,685,792.8334 Joules×53 (from moving 10 tons to 553): 1,944,347,020.1702 Joules.

Again this using the lowest possible interpretation, when in reality the number is probably multiple times higher.
That's not how multipliers work on VSBW, I'm sorry. You can't assume this stuff is linear, plenty of characters grow a massive amount in a certain stat without growing as much in others. You can't get them out of calcs, basically.
As for speed we have that vampires become faster as they evolve, and that Kain had no less than 1600 years of evolution to increase his speed (since Blood Omen 2), that's a LONG time, as for the speed of the projectiles, the official guide says explicitly that they are "As quick and deadly as a Lightning Bolt from the sky", it's not like the guide contradicts anything in the games and it's official information, there's no reason to ignore it, besides there are literally no Anti-Feats to discard this feat, the only person who hits Kain in cinematics is Raziel himself, who literally has the same feat of reflecting/dodging the projectile at point blank range.
There is a fairly big reason to ignore it, it's that it's not even written by Crystal Dynamics, it's just secondary material written by Prima- approved by CD, yes, but that's much less scrutiny on it still.
And as for the Spirit Reaver being several times more powerful, I base this on the damage caused to Janos Audron, as the Spirit Reaver takes away in one hit, what an entire combo of the normal Soul Reaver takes away. Besides of course the guide and the game script confirm that it is indeed more powerful.
That doesn't matter, you can't use damage dealt in gameplay to get a multiplier on how much stronger anything is.
I don't see it as a durability thing, I think the Reaver is just incapable of hurting him, and as someone who has the power to affect the laws of the universe, Kain can hurt a being such as the EG.
I said, that Balancing the entire/world universe and the power increase for the Soul Reaver are the same thing. The only caracteristics that the Spirit Reaver shown besides purifying, is that is more powerful there the other Reaver's, because the sword absorb the power/souls of the Balance Guardian (this confirmed as I shown by gameplay, Script and Official Guides)
Again I don't see a reason to agree that this is the same thing. The balancing of Nosgoth is blatantly not sustaining its physical matter (Given that again, it does just fine without a Scion for millennia), just maintaining its natural order. Even if a level of raw power is required for it, and even if you were right about everything else, there simply is no 5-B/3-A feat in there, so the amount of power cannot be calculated.

(And as I've shown before, even if it was balancing the universe to such a fundamental degree, the fact that it takes it millennia to decay would invalidate the feat on its own)
Also for me make more sense because the reason of why the Elder God is invulnerable to physical damage, is because the guy is a Multi-Dimensional creature, if the Elder God can be damage only beacuse "Multi-Dimensional" attacks and not for raw power, the Spirit Reaver, that also is Multi-Dimensional should have to damage him.
Why do you think the Reaver is multi-dimensional?
I really don't think that the two things are different. But is only difference of opinion, so no problem if you don't put it in the profile.

If Daniel makes another Podcast answering question, I would make sure of asking this haha.
I'm not sure what these two are referring to.
I'm sorry but again, you can't get multipliers out of this kind of stuff, that's just not something VSBW does (In fact while we do have an AP gap for one-shotting in VS matches, it's explicitly not usable to get multipliers). The German guide also should absolutely not be used, it's not even in a language the original writers could comprehend. We don't even use official translations of games proper if their information does not match up with the original script (For example, Super Mario 64's English script has a certain feat implied, but it's not used because that's absent from the JP script), let alone strategy guides.
Regarding the powers of the Scion of Balance the statement says that it can use the powers of the Pillars/Guardians, in general, only "Through a lesser extent" than the specific Guardian of its pillar, it doesn't make sense that it can use some powers and not others randomly just because, in THAT case the statement would have to be something like this: "He can use SOME of the powers of all the guardians to accomplish this goal, though to a lesser extent than the pure circle members".

Kain can use all of them, but to a lesser extent.

An example would be two people lifting weights, but the second person at a "less extent" than the first. The first one can lift up to 100 kg over his head, while the other can lift 60 kg, both lift weights, but the second one has a lower strength and therefore lifts less, not that he directly CANNOT lift them.

This is the same thing that happens with Kain and the powers of the guardians.

Of course this would have to be clarified within the profile something like:

"As Scion of Balance, Kain can use the powers of the guardians of the Pillars of Nosgoth, albeit on a smaller scale than these."

For example the Tempest Cloak's ability, it would have to say: "Using the powers of the Guardian of Energy, Kain can create a shocking force around his body and that of his allies, which allows him to return PART of the physical damage received."

Something like that with these types of specific abilities.
But that's just an asusmption. It's possible that some techniques just require too much expertise/power in the field of another Guardian and that Kain just cannot use them. There's no further elaboration on his ability to use other Guardians' powers works, and I don't feel comfortable gleaning this much from specific wording.
To be honest I'm not sure about using Nosgoth's feats as canon, it never had an official release per se, and it contradicts the Lore established in the games: In the original saga Kain did not devolve in the hundreds of years after the intro of Soul Reaver 2, it is as you say, because Kain evolves differently (although it is never specific that he is slower, in fact if we go by the intro of the game, and other materials, Kain always evolves first and in the same way as the rest with a "State of Change"), while according to the Nosgoth game, Kain did not devolve because he traveled in time.
I think this is a genuine mistake but in itself I don't think it disqualifies Nosgoth from being usable, it's not like the main series doesn't have some inconsistencies of its own, and the Nosgoth team clearly intended it to be canon with no WoG to disqualify it. While not ever "fully" released Nosgoth did have an official beta release for years, as well as some official side material.

Fair enough. Where exactly are you getting the timeframes for them digging, though? They don't seem to be taking 5 seconds to me
I did the timeframes myself, counting the seconds of the video, although I probably got some of them wrong (I start counting as soon as they get into the ground and finish when they start to come out).
That's not how multipliers work on VSBW, I'm sorry. You can't assume this stuff is linear, plenty of characters grow a massive amount in a certain stat without growing as much in others. You can't get them out of calcs, basically.
Fair enough I guess, although according to the Soul Reaver's manual, as they evolve they become "stronger/more powerful" in general, explicitly stating that they can "Inflict deadlier blows", compared to their young counterpart.
If they increase are stated to increased their overall strength/power, and it is said/shown that they increase both their Striking strength and Lifting Strength, the increase in both should be comparable, this isn't dragon ball.
There is a fairly big reason to ignore it, it's that it's not even written by Crystal Dynamics, it's just secondary material written by Prima- approved by CD, yes, but that's much less scrutiny on it still.
I could understand ignoring it if it contradicted something, but what it says does not contradict anything. And we know that vampires increase their speed as evolve
I don't see it as a durability thing, I think the Reaver is just incapable of hurting him, and as someone who has the power to affect the laws of the universe, Kain can hurt a being such as the EG.
This is a matter of interpretation of each one I guess. I see it as a Durability thing and not just a "Universal Law" thing, mostly because Daniel Cabuco himself confirmed that the Reaver can kill the Elder God, so it's not just Kain, this is supported by the game itself since when Kain attacks the Elder God he says: "For you would not fear us unless WE could truly do you harm." Indicating that it is something of both (Kain and Raziel/The Soul Reaver), but the Soul Reaver don't have a increase in power since Raziel got the Spirit Reaver (who could not harm him with it), that was Kain.
Why do you think the Reaver is multi-dimensional?
The Spirit Reaver is the only Reaver that exists in both the material and Spectral realm, which are explicitly two different dimensions, it is the only Reaver that showed this, since for example Raziel is not able to use any Reaver other than the "Spectral Reaver" in the spectral realm, the exception is the Spirit Reaver.
I'm not sure what these two are referring to.
Here I mean that, I do not think that Balancing the world/universe and the increase of power are two different things, but that he increased his power and therefore Balances the whole world/universe, both this are the same.
But that's just an asusmption. It's possible that some techniques just require too much expertise/power in the field of another Guardian and that Kain just cannot use them. There's no further elaboration on his ability to use other Guardians' powers works, and I don't feel comfortable gleaning this much from specific wording.
But to assume that he can't use the abilities directly, because he doesn't have enough power, is indeed assuming, it's not said anywhere.

Kain in Blood Omen 1 uses different powers from the Guardians of the Pillars (Inspire Hate=Pillar of Conflict, Bat and Wolf Form=Pillar of States, Slow Time=Pillar of Time, etc), and these abilities work fine, I repeat that you can do something on a smaller scale, doesn't mean that directly you can't do it, it doesn't make sense.
think this is a genuine mistake but in itself I don't think it disqualifies Nosgoth from being usable, it's not like the main series doesn't have some inconsistencies of its own, and the Nosgoth team clearly intended it to be canon with no WoG to disqualify it. While not ever "fully" released Nosgoth did have an official beta release for years, as well as some official side material.
Fair enough I guess, as I say I'm not very comfortable using something that didn't have, a 100% official release since the game itself was never completed, so to speak, and everywhere when talking about the Legacy of Kain games, they only talk about 5 not 6, but I leave it up to you.

By the way, Kain's official Height is 7ft. This would affect some of the calcs.

Last edited:
I did the timeframes myself, counting the seconds of the video, although I probably got some of them wrong (I start counting as soon as they get into the ground and finish when they start to come out).
In that case I'd just not bother with timeframe and calc them going underground through their body length, which takes much less.
If they increase are stated to increased their overall strength/power, and it is said/shown that they increase both their Striking strength and Lifting Strength, the increase in both should be comparable, this isn't dragon ball.

I could understand ignoring it if it contradicted something, but what it says does not contradict anything. And we know that vampires increase their speed as evolve
That's still against the site's standards, you can't really just assume that. If there was an explicit statement that they increase at the exact same pace, sure, but there isn't.
This is a matter of interpretation of each one I guess. I see it as a Durability thing and not just a "Universal Law" thing, mostly because Daniel Cabuco himself confirmed that the Reaver can kill the Elder God, so it's not just Kain, this is supported by the game itself since when Kain attacks the Elder God he says: "For you would not fear us unless WE could truly do you harm." Indicating that it is something of both (Kain and Raziel/The Soul Reaver), but the Soul Reaver don't have a increase in power since Raziel got the Spirit Reaver (who could not harm him with it), that was Kain.
The Reaver's power depends on who uses it, so it does get stronger in Kain's hands (nevermind that it's Raziel's full power Reaver + Kain's full power Reaver)
The Spirit Reaver is the only Reaver that exists in both the material and Spectral realm, which are explicitly two different dimensions, it is the only Reaver that showed this, since for example Raziel is not able to use any Reaver other than the "Spectral Reaver" in the spectral realm, the exception is the Spirit Reaver.
Eh, I don't think it simultaneously exists in them, it's just able to travel between them because it's an inherent boost to the Reaver's being ("the final baptism of the blade" "the sword must be rendered pure by the spirit"), rather than an element that only exists in the spectral realm.

Something to note is that the EG specifies "That weapon, however well endowed, remains only a wraith blade. It cannot touch me", which definitely hints at it being something the Wraith Reaver inevitably could never do (whether the EG is immune to because of his size or because of some bespoke form of intangibility/invulnerability remains to be seen), rather than an AP issue.
But to assume that he can't use the abilities directly, because he doesn't have enough power, is indeed assuming, it's not said anywhere.
Both are assumptions, we go with the more conservative one.
By the way, Kain's official Height is 7ft. This would affect some of the calcs.
I already used that height for Elder Kain, he's just shorter in the BO games.

Everything seems almost fine here, but can you explain the Type 1 AE for one of their P&As?

The Wheel of Fate is the universe's cycle of death and rebirth (also synonymous with fate/time), and the Elder God is a being that is part of it and parasitizing its workings. I think that's AE.

I pledge my soul to look at this thread, Armor's hell, when I can.

he frees my soul, thank you

Very fair, I'll quickly add.

Cabuco statement. And 178 is 5'10, not 5'8
Another thing Kain in his "End of Defiance" key (which I still say is better to call it "Scion of Balance"), would also have to have resistance against Precognition/Ckairvoyance, since neither Moebius nor the Elder God, can see Raziel in the Time-Stream due to his free will, and Kain also has it in that key.

Also in Blood Omen 1, he should have resistance against Acid, since he is not affected by Font of Putrescence's Acid, which still takes effect after being used.

In his Elder Kain Key he should have Enhanced Intangibility, because his Mist Form is no longer weak against magic, and is intangible against the Wraith Blade, even though it can damage other intangible beings, such as the Shades.

I hadn't changed the key name because... er, I forgot. All fair otherwise, I actually did take note of the precog stuff when I was researching but completely forgot about it.

Back