• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster Hunter General Discussion Thread.

How's Zinogre coming along @Sigilavox ?
Waiting on more comments on the Kushala-level CRT. I'm pretty sure Deviants will get downgraded to "At least High 8-C, likely higher" until we get an accepted Hellblade calc but I'm waiting for peoples' opinions on whether Apex (Rise) Zinogre could get a possibly High 6-C or just be the same rating as above. And I'll add the other Zinogres when that happens.

I remember an official illustration that demonstrates a Turf War between Glavenus and Deviljho resulting in the former cutting off the latter's head with his tail. I don't know if it would be considered a canonical illustration within the game's Lore, but if it was, it could be good evidence to help with the levels of the Fated Four and its Deviants.

I remember an official illustration that demonstrates a Turf War between Glavenus and Deviljho resulting in the former cutting off the latter's head with his tail. I don't know if it would be considered a canonical illustration within the game's Lore, but if it was, it could be good evidence to help with the levels of the Fated Four and its Deviants.
couldja find it?

Here, , BannedLagiacrus used this image in his work on Glavenus on Twitter. It must be from some book that was released there in Japan only, I don't know.

Last edited:
Aqui, BannedLagiacrus usou essa imagem no seu trabalho sobre o Glavenus no Twitter. Deve ser de algum livro que foi lançado lá no japão apenas, não sei.
Eu não sei falar português, então vou usar um tradutor para isso, mas você saberia o que o texto em japonês diz?

I used Google translator on my cell phone to try to translate, it gave this:

"An image illustration depicting a confrontation with Evil Joe, a similar species with a dinosaur motif. The appearance of Evil Joe's neck being cut off with a flash of tail is a masterpiece."

Ps: Sorry for my portuguese, I forgot to change to your language.

EDIT: The text above only talks about Glavenus' mechanics of sharpening its tail with its mouth.

It says that Jho was used because they're both inspired by dinosaurs. Can really see the similarities between them now that I think about it.

Here, , BannedLagiacrus used this image in his work on Glavenus on Twitter. It must be from some book that was released there in Japan only, I don't know.
That is a lot bloodier than normal monster hunter yeah, kinda surprised it even exists

Obviously wouldn't make that much sense to be canon but it's something

It says that Jho was used because they're both inspired by dinosaurs. Can really see the similarities between them now that I think about it.
Brute wyverns are all theropod-inspired. Glavenus is quite clearly a (classically depicted) carnotaurus, and Jho a... perhaps a giganotosaurus? Its tail is far too thick to resemble any actual carnivorous dinosaur we are aware of, and its skull shape is equally ficticious, but since its maw filled to overflowing with slashing teeth, it seems to imply that it evolved to slash up its prey, similar to how giganotosaurus and allosaurids were adapted to inflicting slashing wounds with their teeth.

Holy hell... the grind to MR 100 was long. August, here we go.
Scorned Magnamalo is so cool. And really fun. Worth the grind? ...Not sure. I'm not super into absolute optimized offense nor am I into using the Hellfireblight skill, so its armor is absolutely not for me (it also looks a little goofy imo) but the weapons look super sick, and the fight is, without a doubt, great. I like its battle way more than normal Magnamalo - surprisingly, I found that it wasn't reckless/annoying/flying around at mach 10 everywhere. The fight is generally much slower paced but requires a lot more thought into positioning and taking your chances when you can, because good lord does he hit hard, wide, and fast when he wants to. All of the new attacks are great, and it's just overall a challenging, really fun experience. My only request is that maybe it could have been a little harder, since I still was able to clear it in one go, whereas Allmother absolutely whipped me for hours.

Honestly I've kinda put a pause on Rise/Sunbreak since i've decided to revisit the older games. I'm currently doing 3U (which was my first MH game), and I was thinking of making a new World save file or doing 4U over again before moving on to Rise and Generations Ultimate

Speaking of, given how much I like the Gigginox armor and Hunting Horn, I am now trying to learn how to use the Hunting Horn lmao

Last edited:
Well I just found something

I found this after spoiling myself and am wondering if this is actually in reference to a monster/something that was actually done by a monster. All I know is this screengrab but that's it, so if anyone else has more knowledge on this point in the story, is this actually a feat that could be calced?

I found this after spoiling myself and am wondering if this is actually in reference to a monster/something that was actually done by a monster. All I know is this screengrab but that's it, so if anyone else has more knowledge on this point in the story, is this actually a feat that could be calced?
Yes, that crater is a feat that can be calc'd, without spoiling anything.
It's a crater made by Gaismagorm, the final boss monster, fifty years ago when it emerged on the surface and began to clash with Malzeno, the resident Elder Dragon. Their resulting conflict was part of a short series of events that ended the Citadel's status as a human-habited location. You see Gaismagorm create another crater at the end of the story by collapsing a castle on a small island and making a massive pit that goes really far down. The exact method of creating the crater is unknown, but it is implied to be Gaismagorm's sheer strength. Based on how the castle is ruptured, it's a safe bet to assume regular fragmentation, since it doesn't exactly collapse to tiny chunks but large, visible pieces, with remaining parts left over. The crater aside Elgado can be justified as a featureless, rubble-less crater just by water erosion over the decades, and back when it was made, it was more likely to resemble the Yawning Abyss more than just a straight-up lake.

Oh hey btw was looking at the Fatalis page, and it's speed is only at FTL+, and not Massively FTL+ even tho other profiles like the Hunter, Dalamadur and Alatreon have been updated with the MFTL+ speed feat

Yeah might have just missed that, go ahead and just edit it to match up

It's not locked, you can do it

I mean if you're on mobile prepare to scream in pain but otherwise it's feasible

Something I've been vaguely thinking about and haven't explicitly mentioned at any point:

What even is Dragon element? Is there a lore statement on the topic?

Personally I always figured it was some necrotic power that provided a counterforce to Elder Dragons and elemental stuff but the profiles do list it being related to the mind in some way and I want to know what's up with that (I also think it only lowers affinity in Tri, but they turn around and make it mess with elements in 4U)

Banned Lagiacrus has a twitter thread about it, but i haven't read it in a little while. iirc the specifics aren't really known and it's just very mysterious

Something I've been vaguely thinking about and haven't explicitly mentioned at any point:

What even is Dragon element? Is there a lore statement on the topic?

Personally I always figured it was some necrotic power that provided a counterforce to Elder Dragons and elemental stuff but the profiles do list it being related to the mind in some way and I want to know what's up with that (I also think it only lowers affinity in Tri, but they turn around and make it mess with elements in 4U)
I like the idea that it's a kind of energy that acts primarily to regulate metabolism and the immune system. Hence it could be effective at dealing with diseases and can be used to temporarily enhance muscle output. And obviously its nature as a form of offensive energy seems to be more "fiction-energy" than literal energy, because there's just as much a logical explanation for monsters being able to produce dragon lightning in a ranged format as there is for them to spit balls made of pure fire or for cause regular lightning to come down in the specific patterns they do.

Also, its presence as an immune system thing explains why Ebony Odogaron and Deviljho (who eat tons of different things and are exposed to all manner of diseases and bacteria through diet) are adapted to use it, though Ebony doesn't naturally produce it. Stygian could just use it as a temporary steroid and ranged weapon.

The reason for monsters with Dragon Element often having a weakness to it would be some kind of autoimmune reaction, forcing their body's chemical processes to stall/purge it out and hence shut down their elements.

Having a mutation or some other thing to overload on a shit ton of it causes this autoimmune reaction to happen on autopilot, and so one's body will continually degrade itself. This explains why monsters who overload on it need to get it out as fast as possible (with Savage Jho vomiting it all over and having little coordination by violently flinging itself around and Crimson Glow constantly bleeding it everywhere), while the body's processes continually break down its other insides to produce more of it, like a cancer.

Some wiki stuff theorizes it attacks the mind, but I have no clue where that statement is, or even the original statement for that matter. We don't really have a source for the mind stuff. At most we have monsters driven mad by having too much of it, but that could be any number of non-mind affecting things.

There is an interesting difference between the black cloud Dragon Element of Deviljho and Ebony Odogaron and the pure red lightning that Stygian uses. Maybe it has to do with the Dracophage Bugs refining it or something.

I guess that could explain why Elderseal is super effective on Safi'jiva, since it doesn't really eat stuff and just operates on processing raw bioenergy, so when you introduce an autoimmune reaction, not only can it not eat that well, but almost everything it does goes awry

But yeah, that's probably the most sensible explanation I've heard thus far

Thank you @DMUA for putting the changes through!

A question: now that we've gotten Hellblade and the other deviants at 7-B and hence divorced from scaling to elder dragons, should we be scaling deviant speed to Kirin or just to the base form?

As an aside, how do the Xeno'jiiva/Safi'jiiva and Zinogre pages look? I think they're just about good aside from another tab for "Recharged Soul Zinogre" which I have yet to research.

It's also known as Immortal Zinogre, but iirc that's from Monster Hunter Explore, a mobile game, and the game isn't in English either, and IDK if there's any clear translations or videos detailing where such a Monster would land in terms of scaling and whatnot so it's legit hard to say

Xeno'jiiva/Safi'jiiva
Why are they directly compared to Fatalis?

I don't doubt they'd be in that level I just don't remember much that would necessarily point to it (and you do fight them before Alaetron or Fatalis to begin with)

Why are they directly compared to Fatalis?

I don't doubt they'd be in that level I just don't remember much that would necessarily point to it (and you do fight them before Alaetron or Fatalis to begin with)
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but the MH World Iceborne Ecology book mentions how Safi is a direct rival to Fatalis and that all the Black Dragon stuff going on in World was a direct response to Safi's appearance. That and it was stated by the Field Team Leader that he doesn't know who would win between Alatreon and Safi.

Thank you @DMUA for putting the changes through!

A question: now that we've gotten Hellblade and the other deviants at 7-B and hence divorced from scaling to elder dragons, should we be scaling deviant speed to Kirin or just to the base form?

As an aside, how do the Xeno'jiiva/Safi'jiiva and Zinogre pages look? I think they're just about good aside from another tab for "Recharged Soul Zinogre" which I have yet to research.
You forgot SPC and Longevity on the Jiiva's (plus I would add dragonblight and stun to the status effect inducement) but otherwise the profiles look great, thanks for your hardwork.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but the MH World Iceborne Ecology book mentions how Safi is a direct rival to Fatalis and that all the Black Dragon stuff going on in World was a direct response to Safi's appearance. That and it was stated by the Field Team Leader that he doesn't know who would win between Alatreon and Safi.
Which page is this stuff?

You forgot SPC and Longevity on the Jiiva's (plus I would add dragonblight and stun to the status effect inducement) but otherwise the profiles look great, thanks for your hardwork.
Not sure we should be using Longevity for all Elder Dragons without an explicit source, to be honest. What are peoples' thoughts on the subject?

Every single monster in the games can inflict stun just by hitting the hunter enough times in quick succession, though. Should we add that to every profile?

Also, Dragonblight is already in there, albeit it's caused specifically from a reaction with the Confluence of Fates' energy so it's not something Xeno can pull out of a hat. Safi's inability to inflict Dragon damage or Dragonblight sort of confirms this.

Last edited:
Back