• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monster Hunter General Discussion Thread.

Is there no like, transcript for what this says?
No transcripts, except for several community translations, at this moment given there isn’t an official localization. The one mentioned was one on SpaceBattles. I can link that later.
Yeah, but this also mentions that Xeno'jiiva is calling Zorah there. It wouldn't make sense to draw them away from dying in the Rotten Vale if they would have just vaporized the moment Zorah died, so this seems more like reinforcement of the idea (even if clarifying the situation and correcting some details)
That’s what Xeno does for every migrating Elder. It was also not even born yet, and just reenacting what it did for the others, it’s not like it knew the place would blow up and willingly chose to pull Zorah there.

Last edited:
That’s what Xeno does for every migrating Elder. It was also not even born yet, and just reenacting what it did for the others, it’s not like it knew the place would blow up and willingly chose to pull Zorah there.
The phrasing still feels a bit strange if it would be an event that would directly result in Xeno'jiiva just immediately dying to their own hubris (Just saying "It was called here by Xeno'jiiva to make one last stand" instead of mentioning any amount of spite or how Xeno's methods would have backfired on them)

The phrasing still feels a bit strange if it would be an event that would directly result in Xeno'jiiva just immediately dying to their own hubris (Just saying final stand instead of mentioning any amount of spite or how Xeno's methods would have backfired on them)
There's no personality or hubris at play here from where I can see. Xeno'jiiva is literally just sending out pheremones to capitalize on the natural inclination of aged elder dragons to travel to the New World and absorb energy upon their death. Xeno'jiiva is never stated, or even implied, anywhere, to be conscious of what it's doing until its birth. It's just a gestating organism, a fetus, essentially, that's doing the same thing it's been doing for the past fifty years, and had no way of knowing whether Zorah would explode it or not, or indeed that it was a Zorah it was luring this time.

In any case, apparently Zorah would have exploded even if it had died in the Vale so throws hands in air it's not like Xeno would have had any choice in the matter anyways (the blast might not have been as dangerous to the New World if it died there, or I imagine the First Wyverians wouldn't have been making such a huge fuss about it). All-in-all, the gestating Xeno'jiiva was behaving in line with its instincts to draw in powerful monsters, and in this series, we never see a monster ever act against its instincts as some 5D-chess move, especially one that wasn't even born yet.

...Actually, I found out something pretty damn important relating to this line of discussion. Throughout the World ecology book, the species of Zorah Magdaros are described as naturally exploding on death, so not only was I wrong earlier about exploding being totally unnatural but my Zorah calculation, which is for the energy required to just blanket raise the temperature of the crust of the New World, is probably no longer applicable. Unfortunately, Bambu's old calc isn't valid, either, due to the new horizon rules likely restricting the visible horizons of the Coral Highlands to 10 km rather than 159.7 km, which means that Zorah's death blast hashes out to Large Mountain level or High 7-A (62 km wide New World from map scaling) - as we have zero indication on how large the New World actually is (we're told it's bigger beyond what we see, yet that the Everstream covers all of it), and we need not bother with this anymore.

I suppose the safest thing to do is to scale all Kushala-up Elder Dragons to "High 6-C, likely higher" or something of the sort, since we know Zorah is depicted as being at least not totally inferior to Nergigante. Thoughts?

In any case, apparently Zorah would have exploded even if it had died in the Vale so throws hands in air it's not like Xeno would have had any choice in the matter anyways
This kinda loops back around to Safi'jiiva being able to survive and absorb this energy when it was still growing and thus Xeno likely being able to as well (or at least scale that high)
...Actually, I found out something pretty damn important relating to this line of discussion. Throughout the World ecology book, the species of Zorah Magdaros are described as naturally exploding on death, so not only was I wrong earlier about exploding being totally unnatural but my Zorah calculation, which is for the energy required to just blanket raise the temperature of the crust of the New World, is probably no longer applicable.
I don't think the Everstream is a force multiplier, it would have just spread their power around the place and thus greatly increased how much overall devastation it causes instead of all it's energy pouring into one specific location and causing a cataclysm specifically there

This kinda loops back around to Safi'jiiva being able to survive and absorb this energy when it was still growing and thus Xeno likely being able to as well (or at least scale that high)
When and where is Safi'jiiva stated or depicted to survive a Zorah explosion? We have reason to believe the Zorah skull is really ancient, and no reason to believe Safi predates the Guiding Lands or that explosion. Plus, we already have members of the same species scaling vastly differently, and no reason to scale Xeno to Safi rather than the other way around when Xeno is a young, incubating, immature version of what Safi is, before molting countless times and absorbing more bioenergy. That'd be like scaling Gore Magala to a feat that a Shagaru can pull off, even assuming that's what's happening.
I don't think the Everstream is a force multiplier, it would have just spread their power around the place and thus greatly increased how much overall devastation it causes instead of all it's energy pouring into one specific location and causing a cataclysm specifically there
That sounds like the more reasonable explanation as to why they fixated on the Everstream.

When and where is Safi'jiiva stated or depicted to survive a Zorah explosion? We have reason to believe the Zorah skull is really ancient, and no reason to believe Safi predates the Guiding Lands or that explosion. Plus, we already have members of the same species scaling vastly differently, and no reason to scale Xeno to Safi rather than the other way around when Xeno is a young, incubating, immature version of what Safi is. That'd be like scaling Barioth to a feat that a Frostfang Barioth can pull off, even assuming that's what's happening.
What specifically? It's obviously old, but Elder Dragons in general are about a missed semi-colin from having Longevity to begin with and Safi is a mature version of something we knew operated for about 50 years, if I'm remembering right?

Either way, the species point is just not true. Frostfang Barioth is explicitly classified as a seperate, stronger creature; even if they are closely related to a normal one, meanwhile Xeno'jiiva is just the immature form of a Safi'jiiva. They're both the exact same thing in different stages of life, there's no reason for one to be substantially weaker than the other (especially when the Elder's Recess gave them a much more potent position to mature in compared to what we see with Safi, outside of the Zorah skull)

Last edited:
What specifically? It's obviously old, but Elder Dragons in general are about a missed semi-colin from having Longevity to begin with and Safi is a mature version of something we knew operated for about 50 years, if I'm remembering right?
Even though nothing in this statement implies Safi'jiiva is as old as the Guiding Lands, let's assume it is. We have zero evidence or even implication that it was even in the location when the creating explosion happened. The Zorah explosion most likely made the Guiding Lands. Before it was likely just a tiny island or just sea. Regardless of the possibility that it could have had a Safi'jiiva just hanging in the area at the time, there is just nothing indicating it was there or that it lived through such an explosion.
Either way, the species point is just not true. Frostfang Barioth is explicitly classified as a seperate, stronger creature; even if they are closely related to a normal one, meanwhile Xeno'jiiva is just the immature form of a Safi'jiiva. They're both the exact same thing in different stages of life, there's no reason for one to be substantially weaker than the other (especially when the Elder's Recess gave them a much more potent position to mature in compared to what we see with Safi, outside of the Zorah skull)
If you want to bring up the species point, Safi'jiiva is the matured form of Xeno'jiiva after having molted from absorbing the earth's energy countless times and, following this theory, was sufficiently mature enough and with enough surplus energy to lay several Xeno'jiiva cocoons, in a world where Shagaru Magala, an elder dragon currently treated as equal to or superior to Kushala and the like, molts from Gore Magala, which is broadly considered to be an apex-level monster. Xeno'jiiva just hatched.

Also, when do we want to rework monster intelligence? I haven't been able to find our source for Dragon element weakness implying intelligence, and exceptions to the rule seem to be the norm. Notions like it "attacking the mind" might hold water, but even then that doesn't imply smarter = more vulnerable.

Rajang and Odogaron are immune to Dragon element, and they're two monsters who are undisputably among the higher tier of smarts due to the former being a primate and the latter dodging and overcoming Paolumu and Radobaan with calculated precision, even timing its evasion for the latter. Teostra, an elder dragon, on the other hand, is fairly resistant as are the Metal Raths, who probably shouldn't be vastly less intelligent than their normal counterparts, for whom Dragon is the best element. I also don't think Uragaan, with an average 19 Dragon weakness among hitzones, is more intelligent than Velkhana, who has a 15, or Glavenus, who has a 10. Dragon elemental weaknesses definitely feel like more of a gameplay thing than anything else, and this assumes we even have a source for it.

Even though nothing in this statement implies Safi'jiiva is as old as the Guiding Lands, let's assume it is. We have zero evidence or even implication that it was even in the location when the creating explosion happened. The Zorah explosion most likely made the Guiding Lands. Before it was likely just a tiny island or just sea. Regardless of the possibility that it could have had a Safi'jiiva just hanging in the area at the time, there is just nothing indicating it was there or that it lived through such an explosion.
We know that Zorah is meant to die in the Rotten Vale, which, yeah the Guiding Lands has it's equivalent, but it wouldn't if Zorah was the thing creating it in the first place. Either it randomly decided to go into the ocean to make another island, or it was drawn there by Safi'jiiva and detonated that way

If you want to bring up the species point, Safi'jiiva is the matured form of Xeno'jiiva after having molted from absorbing the earth's energy countless times and, following this theory, was sufficiently mature enough and with enough surplus energy to lay several Xeno'jiiva cocoons, in a world where Shagaru Magala, an elder dragon currently treated as equal to or superior to Kushala and the like, molts from Gore Magala, which is broadly considered to be an apex-level monster. Xeno'jiiva just hatched.
When I say Safi, I mean them while they were still maturing and thus at a stage where they'd be lured by Zorah. I mean Xeno'jiiva in all terms, but I didn't want to be confusing, which... is still confusing.

Even if I did mean that, Gore also has a lot of stuff that would put them at Elder Dragon level anyways (Beating the Aces and being classified as a ??? Elder Dragon or something like that, it's really just that I didn't know that when I made revisions and just wanted to get stuff through, alongside the Seregios turf war being a somewhat big anti-feat but that's also reconcilable since they get explicitly overpowered and it's just that Seregios's spikes exploding inside them staggered them back, and it's not like the series is stranger to having chip damage adding up ala Pink Rathian being able to chase off a Bazelgeuse)

Also, when do we want to rework monster intelligence? I haven't been able to find our source for Dragon element weakness implying intelligence, and exceptions to the rule seem to be the norm. Notions like it "attacking the mind" might hold water, but even then that doesn't imply smarter = more vulnerable.

Rajang and Odogaron are immune to Dragon element, and they're two monsters who are undisputably among the higher tier of smarts due to the former being a primate and the latter dodging and overcoming Paolumu and Radobaan with calculated precision, even timing its evasion for the latter. Teostra, an elder dragon, on the other hand, is fairly resistant as are the Metal Raths, who probably shouldn't be vastly less intelligent than their normal counterparts, for whom Dragon is the best element. Dragon elemental weaknesses definitely feel like more of a gameplay thing than anything else, and this assumes we even have a source for it.
just whenever you want, we have everything out there (you could probably out madness manipulation from Dragon Element in the same swoop, too)

We know that Zorah is meant to die in the Rotten Vale, which, yeah the Guiding Lands has it's equivalent, but it wouldn't if Zorah was the thing creating it in the first place. Either it randomly decided to go into the ocean to make another island, or it was drawn there by Safi'jiiva and detonated that way
Zorah specimens dying in the ocean and creating land is a base concept about the world, predating creatures like the Jiivas luring them around. It's kind of treated as a natural-ish thing to return Zorah to the sea in MHW. One of the images I linked above referencing Zorah exploding explicitly describes the New World (or at least the beginnings of it, starting from what would become the Rotten Vale and Everstream) first being created from a Zorah exploding on the sea floor anyways. Making land from sea sort of comes with the "volcanic dragon" package. All in all, I don't think it was drawn by Safi.

Even if I did mean that, Gore also has a lot of stuff that would put them at Elder Dragon level anyways (Beating the Aces and being classified as a ??? Elder Dragon or something like that, it's really just that I didn't know that when I made revisions and just wanted to get stuff through, alongside the Seregios turf war being a somewhat big anti-feat but that's also reconcilable since they get explicitly overpowered and it's just that Seregios's spikes exploding inside them staggered them back, and it's not like the series is stranger to having chip damage adding up ala Pink Rathian being able to chase off a Bazelgeuse)
More ingredients for the "apexes aren't so far from elder dragons" pie it seems pretty clear that the fight is a tie, or if not, the two are explicitly even. On top of receiving similar levels of damage (the big chunk is from it just falling from the force, no delayed scale explosion sounds or animation plays), Gore can also become mountable after the attack, implying it gets the worse end of the deal (see: Aknosom vs. Magnamalo). Still, Safi is the outcome of molting countless times and maturing to the point of being physically unidentifiable from the original species on top of getting absurd stuff like the one-hit kill move and self-healing by directly absorbing energy from the earth. A unique monster with unique hitzones and almost no identical attacks (if any?), it's very much farther from the original article than any variant (which are often afforded rank boosts) or even subspecies are.

just whenever you want, we have everything out there
Considering there are zero links for any of our points regarding dragon element's interactions with the mind or intelligence, I suppose the ball is in my court to at least come up with a source. I'll probably try for "Animalistic" and "High Animalistic" for monsters aside from the ones specifically mentioned as being "superhuman" or whatnot.

Last edited:
Zorah specimens dying in the ocean and creating land is a base concept about the world, predating creatures like the Jiivas luring them around. It's kind of treated as a natural-ish thing to return Zorah to the sea in MHW. One of the images I linked above referencing Zorah exploding explicitly describes the New World (or at least the beginnings of it, starting from what would become the Rotten Vale and Everstream) first being created from a Zorah exploding on the sea floor anyways. Making land from sea sort of comes with the "volcanic dragon" package, so I don't think it was drawn by Safi.
It's mentioned that it has happened, but we don't really see any Zorah Skeleton in the new world to back this up, or on any of the other islands besides the one with a fully grown Safi'jiiva. Admittedly this is one of those situations where we have to pull a lot of info from obscure texts and ancient histories we never get to see but, for as much as I was skeptical when you released your initial draft for a refurbishing of Xeno's page, it's really an impasse from

Zorah's skeleton just is sorta there, Safi'jiiva hopped onto the island and went to maturity at a far later date on an island far from the everstream's center and Xeno'jiiva following in their footsteps would have resulted in them just dying horribly

Zorah's skeleton is there to show that the New World being melted was not the true extent of how bad things could have gotten, as you're about to fight Safi'jiiva, a direct showcase of the sheer danger that Xeno could have been if they weren't stopped shortly after they were born

again, not much to go off of but the latter just makes a little bit more sense
More ingredients for the "apexes aren't so far from elder dragons" pie
I'll be honest I hate the idea of "varies from High 8-C to High 6-C" on every Apex monster page but at this point I'm really just stalling the pages from becoming more accurate for the amount of times it's shown that at least some specimens are indeed just that strong, even if not at large

It's mentioned that it has happened, but we don't really see any Zorah Skeleton in the new world to back this up, or on any of the other islands besides the one with a fully grown Safi'jiiva. Admittedly this is one of those situations where we have to pull a lot of info from obscure texts and ancient histories we never get to see but, for as much as I was skeptical when you released your initial draft for a refurbishing of Xeno's page, it's really an impasse
I will say that if a creature dies and explodes on the bottom of the ocean, and this explosion causes tectonic plates to be impacted and to erupt a massive land mass from the ocean floor, that will ultimately grow and expand to become an entire continent rising above the sea over tens of thousands to hundreds of millions of years, then it's permissible to not have players stumble across the bones of that creature. Entire continents take hundreds of millions of years to be created, a far cry from something as small as the Guiding Lands, and the only fossils you'd find dating that old are those that were buried in the ground and not sticking out anywhere. As an aside, the book also mentions the Dalamadur (or Dalamadur-like species) came to the New World later and created the Vale with their bodies when they died. I could link the picture if there is interest, of course.
Zorah's skeleton just is sorta there, Safi'jiiva hopped onto the island and went to maturity at a far later date on an island far from the everstream's center and Xeno'jiiva following in their footsteps would have resulted in them just dying horribly
Zorah's skeleton is there to show that the New World being melted was not the true extent of how bad things could have gotten, as you're about to fight Safi'jiiva, a direct showcase of the sheer danger that Xeno could have been if they weren't stopped shortly after they were born
Interesting possibilities for sure, but I think:
  1. A Zorah dies not too far from the shores of the New World some time ago.
  2. This creates an island that, due to being in proximity to a recent elder dragon death, has lots of bioenergy for growing an ecosystem on it.
  3. At some point, a Xeno'jiiva comes to sup on the island's latent bioenergy leftover from the Zorah, in return influencing the land itself.
  4. After supping enough energy and molting countless times, it eventually becomes a Safi'jiiva and deposits its young in its nest and other locations of high bioenergy, including the Confluence of Fates.
  5. The Confluence of Fates Xeno cocoon does the thing where it increases elderly-elder dragon migration to sup more bioenergy.
Sure, we can say that we don't have proof either way that the Safi was on the island before or after the explosion and we only have conjecture or guesswork on the subject, but shouldn't scaling be based on something more concrete than an impasse between two possibilities? The scaling relies on the statement "Xeno/Safi can survive Zorah's explosion" having proof, and we just don't have it. Anticlimactic though the thought may be, Monster Hunter is a game that treats its creatures as just that - creatures, imperfect and fallible, like everything else. That was kind of World's entire thesis.

And sure, let's say Safi lured Zorah to die and create the Guiding Lands. In any case, the Zorah explosion associated with it would be... way, way, way smaller than the one that we're talking about in the Confluence of Fates (which is a continental-sized blast, whether creating or destroying), meaning that even if Safi survived that one, it wasn't going to be anywhere close to the scale of the one from World, which was apparently a Zorah that was far older and far larger than any other specimen to date; they specifically note this in the World ecology book page on Zorah. A Zorah dying to create an island being roughly island-level wouldn't really fall out of line with Kushala being Large Island level, after all.

I'll be honest I hate the idea of "varies from High 8-C to High 6-C" on every Apex monster page but at this point I'm really just stalling the pages from becoming more accurate for the amount of times it's shown that at least some specimens are indeed just that strong, even if not at large
As much as I would also like profiles to have just one rating, they are for entire species rather than individual characters, so it is sort of inevitable that this kind of issue comes up. It would be like if you had a listing for "Monster" in OPM rather than individual pages for Orochi, Black Sperm, or Manako, or "Human" for that matter. Although, the third option would be to just slap on a singular rating of High 6-C on most/all monsters, and just said elder dragons are just on the higher end. Sure, there is definitely some willing suspension of disbelief (greater than otherwise) going on with that, but not much more than believing monsters can destroy whole regions in their vast power and yet still have their back be broken from a rock being dropped on them or being greatly injured by being flinch-shotted off a six-meter drop.

Sure, we can say that we don't have proof either way that the Safi was on the island before or after the explosion and we only have conjecture or guesswork on the subject, but shouldn't scaling be based on something more concrete than an impasse between two possibilities? The scaling relies on the statement "Xeno/Safi can survive Zorah's explosion" having proof, and we just don't have it. Anticlimactic though the thought may be, Monster Hunter is a game that treats its creatures as just that - creatures, imperfect and fallible, like everything else. That was kind of World's entire thesis.
That is what a likely/possibly rating is for, there are plenty instances of something like this happening

That's also only half the story on World's thesis, it's that humanity needs to pick up slack where nature fails. Outside of Xeno maybe being demolished by Zorah exploding on top of them, it wasn't going to stopped by just nature's natural processes. Nergigante essentially just flailed around wildly trying to force Elder Dragons into hiding, it would be a bit dissonant to turn around and also say "well if they just evacuated then Zorah would have exploded them anyways
And sure, let's say Safi lured Zorah to die and create the Guiding Lands. In any case, the Zorah explosion associated with it would be... way, way, way smaller than the one that we're talking about in the Confluence of Fates (which is a continental-sized blast, whether creating or destroying), meaning that even if Safi survived that one, it wasn't going to be anywhere close to the scale of the one from World, which was apparently a Zorah that was far older and far larger than any other specimen to date; they specifically note this in the World ecology book page on Zorah. A Zorah dying to create an island being roughly island-level wouldn't really fall out of line with Kushala being Large Island level, after all.
The explosion is a lot smaller in pure diameter, yeah. We already know this is a thing with how long it takes new landmasses to be formed and that the damage was supposed to be contained in the rotten vale, but having it happen in the everstream spreads it's energy to melt the entire continent wholesale.
As much as I would also like profiles to have just one rating, they are for entire species rather than individual characters, so it is sort of inevitable that this kind of issue comes up. It would be like if you had a listing for "Monster" in OPM rather than individual pages for Orochi, Black Sperm, or Manako, or "Human" for that matter. Although, the third option would be to just slap on a singular rating of High 6-C on most/all monsters, and just said elder dragons are just on the higher end.
It's really just what one has to do

just a flat High 6-C wouldn't make sense considering how common it is for the gap to actually show itself and apexes being outright stomped by Elder level monsters (Rajang turf wars against flying wyverns, Deviljho fighting Apex Monsters, probably other things I'm forgetting)

That is what a likely/possibly rating is for, there are plenty instances of something like this happening
I’d agree with a “At least High 6-C, possibly/likely higher” here.
That's also only half the story on World's thesis, it's that humanity needs to pick up slack where nature fails
Sure, yeah. The entire continent exploding is already essentially the worst thing that could happen to the ecologies of the New World, and human intervention ensured that didn’t happen. Evacuating would not have been a good outcome in the slightest, and the climax isn’t made any less… climactic for it. Whether Xeno would have survived the blast is not going to change that.
Nergigante essentially just flailed around wildly trying to force Elder Dragons into hiding
On an unrelated note, Nergigante may be portrayed as a force for balance, but that’s not because it intentionally picks and chooses targets to restore some kind of order or tries to force its prey into hiding, it’s just because Nergigante is adapted to go after the biggest source of bioenergy that is close and convenient to eat and attacks that. It, as a whole, is a species depicted to chase and prey on strong monsters- look no further than Stories 2 or Iceborne, or World.

When Zorah left, Nergi went to the recess due to the massive bioenergy deposit that was Xeno, frightening the other elder dragons away. As an aside, the fact that Nergi didn’t go after Xeno instead of Zorah kind of implies the former doesn’t necessarily eclipse the latter.

For those who are curious, every monster entry from the Iceborne Dive book (including that on Safi'jiiva and co.) has been translated into pastebin thanks to several very dedicated fandom localizers. The original post can be found on reddit here, and the actual entries are split into these two documents: 1st and 2nd. Interesting is that Alatreon is strongly indicated to play a role akin to Nergigante except with respect to the Jiiva species.

Apexes in Rise are explicitly too strong to be captured, if I remember the statement correctly
I think I figured out where I got this from (assuming the source isn't just that I completely made it up)

I feel like it was a briefing given as in quest dialogue whenever I decided to hunt Apex Rathalos (or maybe just Azuros, since I did that first)

I swear I saw it somewhere and I'd feel insane if my brain completely made up something so overtly random

Is Ryozo Tsujimoto the creator of monster Hunter or was it someone else?
Tsujimoto was not the original creator, but instead has been the producer for games in the series since Freedom 2 in 2007. Kaname Fujioka was the director of the original Monster Hunter game but still maintains a central position in the series as executive director and art director of titles as recent as Iceborne.
I don't think he would agree with most of them. They're interested in making games that keep a relatively consistent gameplay loop (using big weapons and the environment to gain the advantage in hand-to-hand combat with large animals), not trying to keep perfect consistency between titles and feats. As such, there will always be feats that indicate a higher tier (such as Kushala clearing the skies with its wind powers) and feats that indicate a lower tier (such as being able to drop crystals on Kushala to knock it over and break its parts).

Due to the nature of this wiki, we're almost always going to stick with the highest showing and handwave or underplay lower showings. Conversely, I'd expect a director to go by the "average" or "expected" showing for such things, and as such, if a person walked up and asked whether a Deviljho could no-sell the entire world's nuclear arsenal plus twenty Tsar Bombas in the face, I think they'd say that it wouldn't. If someone asked if you could drop a huge rock on it to injure it (somewhat), they'd probably say yes.

There's also the fact that in cutscenes and as established in the world, despite being capable of great range over their powers, elder dragons don't just utterly evaporate the ground or monsters they smack (an idea the developers would find amusing at best) despite our verse saying their AP is high enough to pulverize a 15-kilometer cube of stone in a single blow. It's not really an issue of range of attack, the idea would just never occur to developers. Other counter-examples:
Also, yeah. As an attack that bathes the entire castle rampart in flames, Ruinous Pyroclasm is impressive and is terrifying in-game - worthy of a monster who destroyed Schrade overnight. But it's absolutely nothing from our verse's standards. A Kirin is considered far above that. The only thing you could pull from it is, like, the characters' reactions to it as scared. I think that if someone asked what's the strongest attack a monster can bring, the developers would say either that or Sapphire of the Emperor.

Obviously, they show that there is a gap in power between elder dragons and stuff like Rathalos, but they wouldn't believe that the gap is as wide as we have it. A monster can still mostly no-sell or clearly demonstrate superiority to another while being on a similar tier, or just above it. Plus, anything capable of burning down a small town by itself would be treated as an elder dragon-level threat, so it's not like they have to be High 6-C to be in the place they are, lore-wise. You could do just fine with, like, 8-A or Low 7-C.

It's also worth mentioning that unlike media with a single writer or a central story writing team, game directors and directions vary widely between titles in a video game series, and it is possible that one director's idea of a monster can differ greatly from another's. If a monster in one game obliterated a mountain with a single twitch, that has no bearing on whether another game treats its local elder dragon-level monster as any less or more dangerous, especially if directed by entirely different people.

I think that the wiki's ratings are really more reflective of how we vertically categorize monsters, and the specific numbers/tiers themselves aren't so important. The developers would probably agree with that.

Last edited:
Due to the nature of this wiki, we're almost always going to stick with the highest showing and handwave or underplay lower showings.
As someone whose being on this wiki much longer than you I'm curious how you got this preconception from VSBW, when you look at the Herald level tierings for Marvel/DC (compared to Death Battle), the constant yo-yo tierings for the HST, the mess that is the Pokémon ratings/profiles, etc.

Plus there's seems to be plenty of appeal to reality and AoE fallacy in the rest of your comment for which I don't know why, there's nothing wrong with wanting mid/low end ratings or having a certain perspective for a verse you like (denying bias is one of the biggest lies in Vs debating) but remember that at the end of the day it's your opinion and nobody else's.

That said I did get a good chuckle from your comment about the Wiki; we're almost always going to stick the highest showing that maybe true for some incredibly/blindly bias verse supporters but for most of the Wiki it's much more "complicated" than that (VSBW isn't some hivemind that almost always follows the same or similar powerscaling prerogative), I'm saying this as both a MH and a long time Sonic fan (there was a time anything above FTL/Star level for Super Sonic wasn't even considered a "high-end", it was straight up dismissed as an outlier) plus if you truly believe VSBW often goes for the "highest" I wonder what you call the Tiktok or Quora scaling.

Fun Fact: Ian Flynn (the Sonic story director) openly trolls power-scalers lol!

As someone whose being on this wiki much longer than you I'm curious how you got this preconception from VSBW, when you look at the Herald level tierings for Marvel/DC (compared to Death Battle), the constant yo-yo tierings for the HST, the mess that is the Pokémon ratings/profiles, etc.
It is true that I don't follow the wiki for many other settings, but when you have several games where you can just drop rocks on the heads and backs of monsters to break them and knock them down while dealing a significant chunk of damage or have monsters take damage by being dropped off a cliff from gravity alone, or monsters that can get themselves stuck in walls, and monsters are shown requiring effort to smash through stuff like trees or a small stone barricade, yet a single cutscene of a Lagiacrus breaking an undersea pillar three games ago is used to scale everyone while ignoring all of the other examples, there's definitely a selection going on. What else does one call that? Plus, there's also the idea that calcs aren't "worth it" if they don't supersede existing feats earlier in this thread. That was the basis for my statement.

Note that this is just my perception of how scaling happens here, in this verse (this being the only place for Monster Hunter vs discourse on the wiki), I suppose. I didn't mean to flex my (lack of) knowledge on all the different conversations and arguments going on elsewhere on this forum, for things that I don't really have an interest in.

All that aside, to again address the original point, the devs would absolutely not say that a Rajang could no-sell, like, a 100-kilometer-radius explosion. But if we're not using real life, then we're only able to compare tiers with other fictional characters, and from a developer's perspective, the tiers still don't mean anything since any crossovers are pretty much whatever they want it to be, with a tendency to not have utter stomps one way or the other. How exactly is a 2-C Behemoth supposed to be portrayed in World's base collab otherwise, or Rathalos supposed to compete in Dragalia Lost's story? I'm glad you found my comment amusing rather than offensive, though. I didn't mean to paint over an entire community like that.

Good lord, Tiktok scaling is hilarious.

Last edited:
Hey guys what kind of monster armor would my avatar picture look best in?

(it’s hoshimachi suisei from hololive dressed as Kamen rider meteor for those of you don’t know)

I would look badass in those. Thanks

What would your armor be then?
I change it up a lot, but recently I've been having my World hunter in MR Kushala Armor w/o helmet. I really like the neutral tones and burnished knight aesthetic. It'd probably be "my" armor, considering my profile picture is of a Kushala Daora from afar, too.

h1yE1NB.jpg

My Rise character is female, and she's in Garangolm/Espinas armor for the earthy, sturdy aesthetic.

GX9iDUR.jpg
d8h4OQ6.jpg

In short, all we know about that is they're a distinct species and definitely not half-breeds of humans and wyverns, and we don't know if they're physically compatible with humans.
Doesn't stop some MH fans making waifu material outta of the wyverian sisters of Kamura heh!

Interesting how we can't actually make our hunters wyverian (iirc) yet there are wyverian NPCs that can use weapons and are verse in the ways of hunting such as Hinoa and Minoto as well as The Seeker from the New World.

Hey everyone. The official capcom Monster Hunter page has a few personality quizzes, this one being for Sunbreak monsters. The quality of these is questionable among personality quizzes in my experience but it should be interesting regardless.

My result was Scorned Magnamalo.

img05.png

Your personality type is: Scorned Magnamalo. Your absolute strength is admired by those around you. Although that admiration may turn to jealousy for some people, it is important to remain undaunted and use that as motivation to further improve yourself.
Interesting, I guess. What are your guys' results?

Erm... I got Gore Magala...

Your personality type is: Gore Magala. You are good at reading the room, and at times, can be rather harsh with people when needed. Like Gore Magala's ability to use its scales to boost its detection abilities, you are able to accurately judge any situation and can use that experience to grow as a person.

I like the personality description tho.

Remind me the process to publishing a new profile on the wiki? Magnamalo, Wind Serpent Ibushi, Malzeno, and Gaismagorm are pretty much 100% done.

The rest, like the Jiivas, Velkhana, Alatreon, and co. depend on the ongoing conversation regarding verse scaling to Zorah.
I suggest messaging either @Mr._Bambu or @DMUA to give they blessing and then you can publish them no problem, ofc don't forget to link them to the MH verse page with the respective tags/icons.

Back