• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor guide mark II revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 1-B can stay but because of new tiering system the justification would have to change

How's this

"Hyperverse level (Stated to transcend and control all levels of existence with unfiltered perception, including "space, time, and a million other dimensions", it has been shown the dimensions it can control are each superior to the last)

How has it been shown that the higher dimensions are superior?

5-Dimensional beings are stated to exist outside the multiverse entirely and merely "project" into 3-D reality

Furthermore as the guide mark II himself explains, humans are "bound" to three dimensions and indirectly interact with both time and probability, the 4th and 5th dimensions. And are supposedly flat along those axises.

Okay. I am not sure if that is enough though. You should probably ask Ultima Reality to comment here.

@Zach

So, what's the context behind the quotes supporting his rating? That's kinda important.

If you mean the actual million dimension statement

`What? Oh, wake up, Arthur. Look, let me try it again. The new Guide came out of the research labs. It made use of this new technology of Unfiltered Perception. Do you know what that means?'

`Look, I've been making sandwiches for Bob's sake!'

`Who's Bob?'

`Never mind. Just carry on.'

`Unfiltered Perception means it perceives everything. Got that? I don't perceive everything. You don't perceive everything. We have filters. The new Guide doesn't have any sense filters. It perceives everything. It wasn't a complicated technological idea. It was just a question of leaving a bit out. Got it?'

`Why don't I just say that I've got it, and then you can carry on regardless.'

`Right. Now because the bird can perceive every possible Universe. it is present in every possible universe. Yes?'

`Y... e... e... s. Ish.'

`So what happens is, the bozos in the marketing and accounting departments say, oh that sounds good, doesn't that mean we only have to make one of them and then sell it an infinite number of times? Don't squint at me like that, Arthur, this is how accountants think!'

`That's quite clever, isn't it?'

`No! It is fantastically stupid. Look. The machine's only a little Guide. It's got some quite clever cybertechnology in it, but because it has Unfiltered Perception, any smallest move it makes has the power of a virus. It can propagate throughout space, time and a million other dimensions. Anything can be focused anywhere in any of the universes that you and I move in. Its power is recursive. Think of a computer program. Somewhere, there is one key instruction, and everything else is just functions calling themselves, or brackets billowing out endlessly through an infinite address space. What happens when the brackets collapse? Where's the final "end if"? Is any of this making sense? Arthur?

That sounds more like they are referring to other universes, and not additional dimensions, given how immediately after the so-called whatever million-dimensional statement, they say "Anything can be focused anywhere in any of the universes that you and I move i". They were also previously talking about how the Guide exists in all universes simultaneously due to perceiving all of them at once, so contextually, it's fairly clear what that excerpt is talking about.

Also, if 5-dimensional beings exist fully outside of the Multiverse, wouldn't this actually defeat the whole point of the Guide Mark's reasoning? Since it hinges on the idea that the Multiverse itself has millions of dimensions, which is directly contradicted by what you said.

But the guide mark II explained how higher dimensions work earlier

"If you'd like to know, I can tell you that in your universe you move freely in three dimensions that you call space. You move in a straight line in a fourth, which you call time, and stay rooted to one place in a fifth, which is the first fundamental of probability. After that it gets a bit complicated, and there's all sorts of stuff going on in dimensions 13 to 22 that you really wouldn't want to know about. All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place"

It's very clearly not referring to universes

What is the relation between those two excerpts, though? Are they right next to each other or something?

Not right next to each other, no. However, all instances of the phrase "dimension" in the books has referred to actual spatiotemporal ones.

I've read some of the excerpts you sent to me, and I am mostly fine with the Guide Mark's ratings now. In fact, I don't think this revision is really necessary, considering the universe is explicitly described as a "multi-dimensional infinity" in one occasion, and the same term is later used to describe the axes of space, time and probability, which indicates they extend infinitely as well, so that'd qualify for 1-B pretty easily.

Okay. It seems like the tier has been accepted then.

Should the justification text be adjusted or stay as it is?

Okay, but shouldn't the higher dimensions being higher infinities be clarified within the page though?

I already told you that dimensions don't necessarily need to be higher infinities if they are spoken of in relation to entire universes or multiverses, unless they are either compactified dimensions ala String Theory or just so vaguely defined that they are basically unusable. They just need to be large extra dimensions.

Even then, the Universe is explicitly infinite in all axes in this case, so the rating is fine as is.

Yes, but is this made explicitly clear enough for our visitors in this case?

Looking at the Guide Mark's profile, the current justifications seem a bit vague and largely only mention he's a 22-D being ontop of the million-dimensional statement. So yeah, it's probably gonna need some adjustments, my bad.

No problem. Thank you for being reasonable.

Eh, the "Multi-Dimensional infinity" thing shouldn't be dismissed.

Although if it DOES get downgraded i would propose low 1-C

Although, doesent the 22-D statement actually establish higher dimensions as superior?

`Well I was in fact, I was moving backwards in time. Hmmm. Well I think we've sorted all that out now. If you'd like to know, I can tell you that in your universe you move freely in three dimensions that you call space. You move in a straight line in a fourth, which you call time, and stay rooted to one place in a fifth, which is the first fundamental of probability. After that it gets a bit complicated, and there's all sorts of stuff going on in dimensions 13 to 22 that you really wouldn't want to know about. All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place. I can easily not say words like "damn" if it offends you.'

Ultima is correct. I just want to avoid future misunderstandings.

Are you willing to adjust the profile?

How about

"Through use of unfiltered perception, the guide mark II can alter all higher levels of existence, including at least 22 and possibly a "million other" dimensions, with each higher dimensions being above the last."

I suppose that might be an idea. What do you think Ultima?

Okay. Thank you. I think that it can be applied then.

Okay. Tell me here when you are done.

Thank you. I will close this thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back