• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MFTL+ Supercomputer Processing Speed

I saw an interesting idea for a revision, but I have no idea how it really works and if it's true or not. I don't know if the VS Battles Wiki has a standard for it nor if the VS Battles Wiki has implemented this onto profiles already. In this thread, I'm seeking verification about it.

My aim is to figure out the perception speed of a supercomputer that is far more advanced than any real life technology and that was able to take over the world independently. The idea I thought of was on was relatively safe, being "at least Superhuman" speed, because I know even regular computers think a lot faster than real humans. However, someone else proposed that the fantastic supercomputer would scale above "a processing speed of 1.102 ExaFlop/s, so one processing per 1e-18 second aka 1 attosecond (MFTL+)" because that's apparently how real supercomputers operate.

Is the person's idea usable and reasonable for revisions about fantastic supercomputers?

If that supercomputer is stated to be faster than any real life technology (on the planet), then you can just upscale them from the fastest supercomputer at the time in the year that statement was made.

Let me guess, "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", right?

Pretty much what Psychomaster said, if it is stated to be a supercomputer you can scale it to the fastest real life supercomputer of the time the story was made

If that supercomputer is stated to be faster than any real life technology (on the planet), then you can just upscale them from the fastest supercomputer at the time in the year that statement was made.
Let me guess, "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", right?

Pretty much what Psychomaster said, if it is stated to be a supercomputer you can scale it to the fastest real life supercomputer of the time the story was made
I'll heed the date of the story, but what I'm more curious about is... Does the current fastest supercomputer in real life truly have MFTL+ processing speed, based on the article someone presented to me? I've read about something similar being the case, but it still seems a little too extraordinary to the standards of real life for me to be confident about it.

I'll heed the date of the story, but what I'm more curious about is... Does the current fastest supercomputer in real life truly have MFTL+ processing speed, based on the article someone presented to me? I've read about something similar being the case, but it still seems a little too extraordinary to the standards of real life for me to be confident about it.
Yup, some real-life technologies can surprisingly achieve incredibly results of speed, this is an example:

fantastic supercomputer would scale above "a processing speed of 1.102 ExaFlop/s, so one processing per 1e-18 second aka 1 attosecond (MFTL+)" because that's apparently how real supercomputers operate.
Well, it can't be MFTL+ because its IRL and its limited to the speed of light in terms of information transfer rates. In addition a FLOP is just how many numbers it can use at once
Floating point refers to calculations made where all the numbers are expressed with decimal points.
So it doesn't necessarily translate to MFTL+ processing speed from what I understand but that it can do math to 10^-18 levels of precision.
In the end, the best measure of a system’s performance, of course, is how well it runs a user’s applications. That’s a measure not based on exaflops, but on ROI.

Well, it can't be MFTL+ because its IRL and its limited to the speed of light in terms of information transfer rates. In addition a FLOP is just how many numbers it can use at once

So it doesn't necessarily translate to MFTL+ processing speed from what I understand but that it can do math to 10^-18 levels of precision.
That makes sense.

Back