• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Impostor Speed Formatting (Among Us)

Ever since a profile of Impostor was added to the VS Battles Wiki years ago, I have felt that the formatting and logic used in the Speed section was a little disorganized. I haven't felt that it has been improving as the section gained more information over time, but I keep seeing more potential in it. I'm here to propose what I think is a more refined way for the VS Battles Wiki to acknowledge the Impostor's speed.

At the time of posting this thread, the Impostor's profile currently describes: "Speed: Average Human, possibly Subsonic travel speed (Can vent at this speed and can cross a short distance within less than a second to get the kill, though the latter is likely a result of Game Mechanics), Peak Human reactions and combat speed, Supersonic attack speed (Can attack at this speed. Comparable to the Crewmates, who can throw a frisbee over the horizon this fast), Transonic attack speed with their Pistol".

The way the Impostor's speed is currently described has a somewhat odd way of identifying what different types of speed they're capable of.
  1. The "can cross a short distance within less than a second to get the kill" part is considered as travel speed by the VS Battles Wiki even though it actually isn't. Being able to use speed in one short burst at a time is combat speed or attack speed. This is especially obviously the case for the Impostor considering the fact that there's a cooldown timer for quickly crossing a distance to kill, establishing that this super speed is distinct from their regular travel speed. This action is considered as game mechanics by the VS Battles Wiki, but when perceiving the action as the combat speed or attack speed that it is, canon supports the idea that the Impostor can attack this fast, since the Crewmates can throw a frisbee at supersonic speed. Additionally, the Impostor appears as a blur when attacking regardless of what the distance they travel is. I linked edited gameplay here where the footage gets frozen the moment an Impostor moves to kill a Crewmate that's directly next to it, and you can see that the Impostor is still a blur. The grey blur isn't part of any edit. The graphics present in Among Us demonstrably supports the idea that the Impostor moving at super speed to cross a short distance to kill a Crewmate isn't merely a game mechanic. This isn't just "possibly" the case.
  2. The speed that an Impostor travels at in vents is considered as regular travel speed by the VS Battles Wiki even though this is misleading. Venting is portrayed as an extra mobility option and fast travel action, so it should be considered as having its own speed. This speed as it's regarded as currently being considered as "possibly" the case as a form of travel speed doesn't mitigate the fact that venting is demonstrably a far faster means for the Impostor to travel compared to their regular movement on the ground. Due to being limited bouts of speed rather than regular movement, it could even be reasonably considered as attack speed, which is supported by the supersonic frisbee throw feat. The speed that an Impostor vents at doesn't necessarily need to be limited to what it was calculated to be when this fast travel action appears as kind of instantaneous. It could be supersonic speed like the frisbee throw feat is.
  3. I feel that phrasing the descriptions as "this speed" and "this fast" so many times is lazy, given how many different speed rankings there are in both the Impostor's profile and in one of the calculation blog posts. Sometimes "this" doesn't refer to what's actually on the Impostor's profile. The phrasing could be confusing to someone who doesn't already know what the Impostor's speed is meant to be ranked as.

The following is what I think should be described of the Impostor's speed: "Speed: Average Human travel speed, Peak Human reactions and combat speed, up to Supersonic attack speed (They can punch at peak human speed, strike their tongue at subsonic speed, move through vents at least at subsonic speed, and appear as a grey blur when moving to kill a Crewmate. They're comparable to the Crewmates, who can throw a frisbee over the horizon at supersonic speed); Transonic attack speed using their Pistol)".

The new explanation that I'm proposing is very similar to the original one, but it's spiffied up with what I believe to be better phrasing and better logic. I hope that you like it. Let me know if you have any recommendations for refining it further if need be. The same logic that I'm proposing applies to the speed rankings of the Crewmates. Revising the Crewmates' profile would be easier since their capabilities are more straightforward.

Hopefully discussion will start in this thread soon.

amongus-among-us-sus.gif

Back