• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Melting Ice Is Impressive It Seems (D&D CR 7-10 upgrade)

Tllmbrg

VS Battles
Content Moderator
So I made a Remorhaz page, and they have a 8-C+ feat/calc in 3.5e
They are CR 7 in 3.5e, and due to the value of the calc being below what CR 11-12 scale to I think it's safe to just have them at 8-C+ and not go for "At least 9-A, likely 8-C+"
Thus this would upgrade all CR 7-10 monsters that appear in 3.5e, as the Remorhaz is CR 11 in 5e

Last edited:
I hate.

As part of this, just for future reference, could I task you with adding the overall CR scaling to the OP, including the 3.5e vs 5e variants? It's only going to get more confusing from here on out.

Eh I guess, although here it's just "CR 7-8 in 3.5e are High 8-C"
5e is unaffected, and 4e Dragon can say although I believe it's also unaffected

Seems awfully low to me, brother. But it should work at a glance, the feat that is.

Scaling I'll leave to the experts.
Math is in the calc, edited version done by myself.

How did we divide 3.5 and 5 again?
Currently 6-C is different since in 5e Imix (the dude who did the 6-C feat) is only CR 18, whereas in 3.5e he's higher. But, many other creatures also vary slightly between the two (5e and 3.5e are the most relevant to our scaling of the verse as they use Challenge Rating- for other editions, we simply use the game's in-built conversion systems to determine their effective CR in either edition)

I unironically expected to get like 9-A+ or 8-C lol
Also I eh edited the OP a bit since I noticed I put the wrong tier in it plus that it'd change the calc 9-10 CR scale to (Just adds a + to the value), otherwise it's basically the same

How did we divide 3.5 and 5 again?
Current list is as follows
=== 5e ===
CR 1/8-4: 9-B scaling to Burning Hands
CR 5-8: 9-A scaling to Conjure Barrage
CR 9-10: 8-C scaling to Cone of Cold
CR 11-12: At least High 8-C, likely 8-B, possibly 8-A scaling to Freezing Sphere, Lower Water, and Disintegrate respectively
CR 13-17: Low 7-B scaling to Legendary Dragons
CR 18-24: 6-C scaling to Elemental Lords^
CR 25-33: At least Low 6-B, possibly 6-B scaling to Father Llymic-
CR 34-56: High 6-A scaling to Murderoid-
CR 57+: At least High 6-A, likely 2-C, possibly 2-A scaling to Hecatoncheires- Notes: There is no Epic Level supplement for 5e currently, meaning levels over 20 and enemies over CR do not exist. This also means the above table is liable to change if such a thing does come out, and monsters change CR positions in that edition.

=== 4e ===
Some notes, since I can't revise this as of yet.
  • Imix, who is responsible for the 6-C feat, is a level 33 character here, meaning 4e has a higher boundary of entry to 6-C at level 33.
  • Burning Hands was, IIRC, calculated at 9-A for 4e.

=== 3.xe ===
CR 1/8-4: 9-B scaling to Burning Hands
CR 5-8: 9-A scaling to Conjure Barrage-
CR 9-10: 8-C scaling to Cone of Cold
CR 11-12: At least High 8-C, possibly 8-A scaling to Freezing Sphere and Disintegrate respectively
CR 13-19: Low 7-B scaling to Legendary Dragons-
CR 20-24: 6-C scaling to Elemental Lords^
CR 25-33: At least Low 6-B, possibly 6-B scaling to Father Llymic
CR 34-56: High 6-A scaling to Phaethon
CR 57+: At least High 6-A, likely 2-C, possibly 2-A scaling to Hecatoncheires
Anyways is this fine to start using or should I also get approval from @Qawsedf234
Yeah, it's fine. Though for 3e vs 5e if anyone is curious, is that we take the latest edition version of the monster unless it's a special variant. So the 3e stuff would solely apply for things that appeared in 3e and not future editions.

Back