• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megami Tensei General Discussion Thread

The link won't load for me.
UrI7dEN.png

Though the story does not say anything explicitly, it is reasonable to assume that they are creations of the human mind. This question, at the heart of Megaten's world view, a series which includes several gods and demons from folklore and myths from around the world, has carried over into later entries in the series. Though not a purposeful answer to this question, the concept of Personas in the Persona series, which was derived from SMT If..., are "masks" in which demons exist, created by the human heart. The fact that the next numbered title in the Shin Megami Tensei series featured the protagonist as the "Demi-Fiend" is not unrelated. Megaten would go on to create a new generation of games after If..., But SMT If... was the game that started it all.

A regular person doesn't seem like a reliable source.
💀

UrI7dEN.png

Though the story does not say anything explicitly, it is reasonable to assume that they are creations of the human mind. This question, at the heart of Megaten's world view, a series which includes several gods and demons from folklore and myths from around the world, has carried over into later entries in the series. Though not a purposeful answer to this question, the concept of Personas in the Persona series, which was derived from SMT If..., are "masks" in which demons exist, created by the human heart. The fact that the next numbered title in the Shin Megami Tensei series featured the protagonist as the "Demi-Fiend" is not unrelated. Megaten would go on to create a new generation of games after If..., But SMT If... was the game that started it all.

💀
What is the source for the page?

Opinion of the final bosses of Vengeance?
Especially the penultimate of the law route
im going chaos, so i cant say anything about Law. But Tiamat was really having me ****** up, but in the end it was fun. And it was amazing to be rewarded with such a hype scene.

"To slay a godly dragon, you need a godly dragon-slayer." TEN OUT OF TEN SCENE, THE PINNACLE OF SMT!

But before i move onto the chaos route penultimate boss, im trying to take on Samael. After those two, I guess I only have Shiva and the Demi-Fiend left.

im going chaos, so i cant say anything about Law. But Tiamat was really having me ****** up, but in the end it was fun. And it was amazing to be rewarded with such a hype scene.

"To slay a godly dragon, you need a godly dragon-slayer." TEN OUT OF TEN SCENE, THE PINNACLE OF SMT!

FR, that shit was pure adrenaline.
About the law route, the penultimate boss can be really interesting scaling wise.
Pls: can you tell me how to use the spoiler thing?

I've been playing Dx2 again.
Do we consider it?

Currently, there's an Ouroboros event. I'm not fully through the plot yet, but part of it is it puts characters into illusions. Capable of doing so with "a glare" for Motoyama, 1 of the antagonists -I forget how it does for the protagonists- which "renders Motoyama immobile". The protagonists, OF COURSE, broke free through "willpower". OF COURSE.

Ouroboros's illusion is an apparently looping space of the place they entered. It later shows them another.

Also, it has some statements:
"Ouroboros: I have observed all worlds since the dawn of time, And in each one, the calamity wrought by Vanitas Sinks humanity into a pit of despair. The illusion you saw was a particularly horrific demise Which Vanitas had a direct hand in. To break free of that..."
Megakin: "H-Hold up. You mean-"
Rika: "That thing, the one that killed us...Was Vanitas?"
Gakuto: "THAT'S what we're up against?"
Ouroboros: "Even if Vanitas destroys you and your world, You each have the strength to resist and fight on,".

Somewhat out of context, & not the full dialogue... I only screencapped part of it; Replay story is a possibility.

Anyway still.... So that's neat.

There is at least 1 "horrific future" (I'm not sure, but it sounds like it showed them all the same world.) where the Liberators die to Vanitas.
& Ouroboros claims to "have observed all worlds since the dawn of time" And in each one, the calamity wrought by Vanitas Sinks humanity into a pit of despair."

IDK if this is relevant, but just thought it might be interesting.
Especially since it means Vanitas wins in basically every world, apparently, & against the Liberators at least once.

Pretty much, tbh.

Also, the Ouroboros statement of them looking over all worlds is nice, though.
I thought it might be redundant.

Although, checking this profile, it could be helpful for an Intelligence justification.
Intelligence: Unknown, likely Extraordinary Genius

Maybe also stuff like Clairvoyance?
Seeing "all worlds since the dawn of time" might also give stuff depending on how they saw it? Present at creation? Possibly a Self-Sustenance of some kind?
Probably some kind of Longevity &/or Immortality Type 1?

Speaking of profiles, I think I'll start cooking up Khonsu's profile soon. Maybe tomorrow or after that.

Got to the next cutscene in the Dx2 Ouroboros plot.

> Ouroboros's regeneration can't keep up >with the Liberators' ceaseless onslaught. Then-

Ouroboros: "Hehe... Splend...Did..."

> Ouroboros vanishes without another word.

Megakin: "Did...We win...?"
Rika: "It's finally over..."
Ririn: "Where's Makoto?!"

Megakin: "Without Ouroboros, this infinite space should be gone -"
Ouroboros: "I commend your skills. It was only once, but you defeated me."
Shiang Sun: "What?!"
Gakuto: "We didn't beat it?!"
Ouroboros: "No, you won. However, I am the master of infinity and rebirth. No matter my existence, none can truly vanquish me."
Vince: "Asshole..."
Ouroboros: "Lament not. After all, mere humans like you bested me once."
Megakin: "...Change of plans, Shionyan. We need to fall back, but..."
Shiori: "Problem is, where's the hostage?"
Ouroboros: "Oh? You know you've lost yet refuse to abandon your rescue?"
Shiori: "Duh. We determined this fight was the best way to do that. From the very start, our goal was never to beat you."
Ririn: "We're here to save Makoto! That's all!"
Player character: "We won't give up." OR "We'll bring him home.". (I chose "We'll bring him home.".)
Ouroboros: "Even in this hopeless situation, your resolve stands firm... Human despair begets surrender. Regardless, you've all demonstrated fierce resistance. Magnificent. Despite the limitations of your mortal coil, that tenacious drive to fight eternal anguish, although faint, holds boundless possibilities."
Megakin: "Boundless possibilities?"
Ouroboros: "If it's you, perhaps this world won't end like every other... Hehehe. In the interim, I shall watch what unfolds..."

>Ouroboros vanishes into thin air.

Gakuto: "...NOW is it over?"
Megakin: "Looks like it..."
Ririn: "Makoto! Where's Makoto?!"

>Ririn opens the door to the previously endless space. >A new room appears with a young boy collapsed inside.

Makoto: "..."
Ririn: "Makoto!"

>Ririn runs towards him with Shiori close behind.

Makoto: "Zzz... Zzz..."
Shiori: "Don't worry, he's just asleep."
Ririn: "Thank goodness... You're safe now, Makoto..."
Megakin: "I'm happy for ya, Ririn."
Ririn: "Thank you so much, everyone!"
Gakuto: "Wait, what about Motoyama?!"
Vince: "Relax, he's lyin' over here."
Megakin: "Is he dead?"
Vince: "Nah, but he might as well be."
Motoyama: "Ah... Agh..."
Vince: "Ironic, ain't it? He's stuck in the same illusion as we escaped."
Gakuto: "He's not spazzin' out, so let's take him to the cops for now."

Fade to black

Megakin: "Y'all remember that scene?"
Rika: "Yes. I couldn't forget it if I tried. That cruel, horrific imagery is burned into my brain."
Honey: "I was...a little scared..."
Shiori: "It must be the death knell Ouroboros has seen in many worlds. A future we're undoubtedly barreling towards at this rate."
Megakin: "But thanks to Newbie, we beat those grim illusions. We're gonna change the future. That's our job, right?"
Makoto: "Ngh... Huh? Sis?"
Ririn: "Makoto! Are you OK?! Did they do anything weird to you?!"
Makoto: "Uh, what...?"
Gakuto: "He's still out of it..."
Vince: "You got a lotta nerve, kid."
Ririn: "...Don't worry, Makoto. Come what may, we'll protect everyone's futures..."

Anyway, interesting stuff.
They call where Ouroboros put them in an illusion AND an "infinite space". So is it some perception trick, visual/spatial illusion, or an actually infinite set of space, made of like, copies of the room they're trapped in that are connected or something??

When the effect ends, there's ">Ririn opens the door to the previously endless space. >A new room appears with a young boy collapsed inside."

The Liberators beat Ouroboros's Regeneration by... simply damaging it more/faster than it can Regenerate. Ouroboros calls this "Splendid", then "vanishes with another word", but revives moments later, saying "No, you won. However, I am the master of infinity and rebirth. No matter my existence, none can truly vanquish me.".
It also says that "Lament not. After all, mere humans like you bested me once." which has implications.

Ouroboros: "Even in this hopeless situation, your resolve stands firm... Human despair begets surrender. Regardless, you've all demonstrated fierce resistance. Magnificent. Despite the limitations of your mortal coil, that tenacious drive to fight eternal anguish, although faint, holds boundless possibilities."
Megakin: "Boundless possibilities?"
Ouroboros: "If it's you, perhaps this world won't end like every other... Hehehe. In the interim, I shall watch what unfolds..."

Ouroboros vanishes into thin air.

That speech implies that Ouroboros's perception of the worlds is limited. Perhaps only up to a world's present in its timeline?
Maybe there's something special about the timeline the Dx2 player character is in?

Maybe it's just willpower (Especially with the Liberators.) cheesing stuff as is typical in SMT?

Also, is Ouroboros just vanishing maybe some kind of teleportation or such?

Also, Motoyama's fate:
Vince: "Ironic, ain't it? He's stuck in the same illusion as we escaped."

Indication of duration of effect or something?

Anyway, thoughts, all?

Last edited:
Back