• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

WeeklyBattles

VS Battles
Retired
So ive been wondering for a while now, why dont we allow mass-energy conversion feats for Gems? There are statements in the show about Gem's bodies being light energy turned into mass.

Gems' bodies are a projection created by their gemstone, similar to a hologram with mass

When a Gem is poofed it is so they can most efficently use their energy to regenerate

Shapeshifting uses a large amount of energy compared to the output of changing one's form

Taken directly from out Mass-energy conversion feats page:

"Matter-energy conversion should only be used for a calculation if it is clearly stated that this is the progress used."

So why have mass-energy conversion feats been rejected for the verse?

It isn't directly stated, I think?

Creating a Hologram with mass isn't more of a statement of mass-energy than any other creating matter by some technique statements really is.

Whether it is a technique using a bunch of energy or not doesn't matter here.

LordXcano once wrote the following in that regards:

"The only other Country level things come from highly inflationary e=mc^2 calculations. The Gems never state that they convert mass into energy or vice versa, all they say is they are "like light" and they have mass, this is just your standard hard-light stuff. If we took "becomes something like light and then can go back" then Kizaru would be at a minimum Island level since he too can turn into light and back."

Not that I know the verse, though.

...Pearl and Peridot literally state that Gems turn energy into mass...

Yes i'm aware of Xcano's opinion on the subject, even though what he said is completely invalidated by Pearl's and Peridot's statements. And tfw Kizaru is already a good amount higher than island level without mass-energy conversion.

Creating a Hologram with mass isn't more of a statement of mass-energy than any other creating matter by some technique statements really is.

Whether it is a technique using a bunch of energy or not doesn't matter here.

...It makes literally no sense. Creating matter is a direct statement of mass-energy. And creating hard-light hologram takes just as much energy as creating matter with the same mass.

There is a difference between a technique that creates matter and consumes energy and a technique that does mass-energy conversion in the terms of physics.

After your reasoning, since the mechanism of a water release justu in Naruto includes converting chakra into wtare for some justus, we should include E=mc2 calcs based on that. That is obviously not reasonable and pretty much exactly the case that was supposed to be sorted out with the page.

And to go to what the page states, as you said, "Matter-energy conversion should only be used for a calculation if it is clearly stated that this is the progress used".

Just energy was used + matter was created is not a clear statement of matter-energy conversion. It only states the start and end product, not describes the progress.

Actually I could do the same argument you do for some of the cases that are practically listed on the matter-energy conversion page as not legitimate. The "creating objects out of nowhere" one for example works by converting lifeforce into mana and using mana for magic creating matter. So input is energy output is matter, non the less no scientific matter-energy conversion.

So as long as the only statement is that energy was used up and mass created that is not a clear statement of mass-energy conversion in scientific sense.

You know, I just read the mass-energy feats page, and I have to say, I disagree. Vehemently at that. It contradicts one of the major rules of this site, that we don't give a damn about author intent and we'll normally take a physics/math based approach on calling.

DontTalk said:
There is a difference between a technique that creates matter and consumes energy and a technique that does mass-energy conversion in the terms of physics.
After your reasoning, since the mechanism of a water release justu in Naruto includes converting chakra into wtare for some justus, we should include E=mc2 calcs based on that. That is obviously not reasonable and pretty much exactly the case that was supposed to be sorted out with the page.

And to go to what the page states, as you said, "Matter-energy conversion should only be used for a calculation if it is clearly stated that this is the progress used".

Just energy was used + matter was created is not a clear statement of matter-energy conversion. It only states the start and end product, not describes the progress.

Actually I could do the same argument you do for some of the cases that are practically listed on the matter-energy conversion page as not legitimate. The "creating objects out of nowhere" one for example works by converting lifeforce into mana and using mana for magic creating matter. So input is energy output is matter, non the less no scientific matter-energy conversion.

So as long as the only statement is that energy was used up and mass created that is not a clear statement of mass-energy conversion in scientific sense.
It works for me because I despise counting mass-energy conversion as a feat at all. Like, if Gems do use it - so what? Do we add "Energy output if used as a battery" to them?

@cal: We also don't assume all light beams to be lightspeed, if they don't display light properties, since not all "light" necessary follows light mechanics.

So why should we unrealistically rank characters city level for creating 1 kg of matter if the process wasn't explained like that, in fiction various other processes can archive the same result and its depiction doesn't fit the real life process?

Not to mention that there is basic reasonability applied to things. We don't rank characters High Universal for surviving a black hole, even though it theoretically has infinite force either or give characters that reach the speed of light infinite KE, even though physics dictates that.

Likewise you can use physics to calculate the energy to open a wormhole to something around the mass-energy of jupiter. Guess what is also not used?

Don't expect me to find threads from 2015, but the issue was discussed back then and it was decided mass-energy can be so heavily abused for an abundance of mass creation feats that a proof of it being that process specifically is required.

DontTalk said:
@cal: We also don't assume all light beams to be lightspeed, if they don't display light properties, since not all "light" necessary follows light mechanics.
So why should we unrealistically rank characters city level for creating 1 kg of matter if the process wasn't explained like that, in fiction various other processes can archive the same result and its depiction doesn't fit the real life process?

Not to mention that there is basic reasonability applied to things. We don't rank characters High Universal for surviving a black hole, even though it theoretically has infinite force either or give characters that reach the speed of light infinite KE, even though physics dictates that.

Likewise you can use physics to calculate the energy to open a wormhole to something around the mass-energy of jupiter. Guess what is also not used?

Don't expect me to find threads from 2015, but the issue was discussed back then and it was decided mass-energy can be so heavily abused for an abundance of mass creation feats that a proof of it being that process specifically is required.
umm, pretty sure cal is on your side

Back