• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Revision - Badges & Items

In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, there are a number of badges & items. When a battle begins, enemies can appear within the battle, already holding 1 Badge or 1 Item as of the start of the battle, which they may be affected by &/or use.
Currently, our profiles do not account for this. I wish to make them account for this.
Hopefully this will be a reasonable revision with an unproblematic conclusion, but I'd dare say that's just me being a bit idealistic.

Currently existing profiles, & (based on currently available information on the Mario Wiki.) that are of concern for this revision, with relevant links (On the Mario Wiki, the items & badges listed in the TTYD section are the ones relevant.):

In the future, there will very likely be other profiles this will be relevant for, but even with just those, due to variants of the species appearing in the game having their own sets of Items/Badges, as well as detailing the Powers/Abilities granted by those items, I imagine that this will require extensive work.

Because of how extensive such details are, I'll wait until it gets the okay to start this before I detail the Items/Badges for the species & their variants, not to mention there'd still be the matter of how we describe how they work on profiles.

It may be notable that some independent users, through their own (As far as I know, accurate methods.) have data that is at odds with that on the Mario Wiki. However, in most cases, the Mario Wiki is still usually accurate. However, for thoroughness's sake, I am comfortable with that data being brought to attention, IF users express an interest in it; If you want it, SAY SO.

On the topic of thoroughness, it may also be worthwhile to seek out footage or screenshots of enemies appearing with the listed badges/items, if only to have proof/justifications for the profiles.
In an ideal world, statistics for their appearance & useage, duration, possibility of affecting those the item/badge is used on, etc. would be great to have.... But even individually, such may be impractical to gather, unless we say, get data already by collected by others, through their own means, such as extensive testing or datamining or such.

Once again, hopefully this is an uncontroversial & reasonable revision, & that it goes well.

Looks okay from a glance
At a glance? Is there something you haven't considered (Given that it may be important?) in your glance?
No concerns of note, I presume?
Nonetheless, I appreciate any & all input you, & anyone else, give, I assure you.

This is just an optional equipment with a few added abilities due to said equipment update for various Mario enemies? That seems rather harmless. Perhaps I would like a bit more input, but I do not think this is something controversial.

Should be ok. Preferably you should make it clear they only carry one of them from what I understand.

Should be ok. Preferably you should make it clear they only carry one of them from what I understand.
Agreed. An enemy can only have 1 badge OR 1 item, not 1 badge & 1 item, nor can it have more than 1 badge, nor can it have more than 1 item.

The only thing that even seems to support any exception to this is that some weird gameplay mechanics I've read of allow Mrs. Mowz to steal items from enemies that don't have an item at the time (Usually, she just steals a single Coin.), but the items for these lucky steals of unseen items are never used by the enemies, suggesting those invisible extra/RNG items are just a weird gameplay mechanic.
Personally, I don't consider that sufficient evidence that enemies can have more than 1 Badge/Item at a time, let alone that they can use.

This is uncontroversial and straightforward. I think you can make the accepted changes.

Because this seems to have unanimous approval, from 2 Sysops (1 of which is a Verse Supporter & a Knowledgeable Member for the Verse.) & another Verse Supporter Approves, I'll see about getting around to this.

I am ashamed to say, however, that I am inexperienced with editing, & even if I were experienced, this is a project of significant scale. Because the premise is approved, I now want to proceed to discussing the detailing the Badges & Items, & what Powers/Abilities they should, as well as how such should be listed on the profiles.

& as mentioned, some users on other websites have collected their own data, & while their results are at odds with the info on the Mario Wiki, I trust their methodology.

If there's enough approval, or not too much disapproval I'll use such references (For example, they could be helpful for determining likelihood of certain Badges/Items appearing.) in compiling the relevant information.

With that matter presented to the table, I suppose, like I said, my next step is hammering out how the Badges & Items & what they do are to be presented on the profiles. Because each enemy has several possibilities for it to appear with, even if I'm not distracted or negligent or (hopefully not needlessly.) waiting for opinions, it could take a while.

Hopefully this all also seems fine so far.

Back