• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you guys aren't talking about the 1-A stuff? Or at least 1-B via existence of String Theory Soup

I'm honestly a bit iffy on the 3-C mario characters. The reasoning is that they are powered by power stars, but we never actually see them use the stars in the same way that Bowser used the Grand star. We only see them be in possession of one. If we are going to give a 3-C ranking for all the characters powered by power stars, then we might as well upgrade Mario, Luigi, and Bowser Jr (I guess rosalina too) to 3-A for being in possession of one. (Side Note: Donkey Kong shouldn't even have a 3-C ranking, because as far as I know, they never were in possession of a power star.)

Actually, the Mario cast do use the Power Stars in Mario Party 2 in the same vein Bowser does. Also, Grand Stars are Low 2-C in general, it's just Mario beating an amplified Bowser is PIS.

Being in possession of the Power Stars doesn't quite mean they use them for combat; and actually the stars in the Mario Party series do have the same design as the Power Stars in various 3D Mario platformers.

In Super Maio Galaxy one of the Power Stars you can collect absorbs and contains the mass of a small black hole within itself and Mario can still lift and hold that specific Power Star which is where Pre-Stellar comes from.

Tbf, Mario fights multiple enemies powered by Grand Stars and there's quite a bit of Low 2-C characters ans feats from the series. It's why I think people who have him at Low 2-C aren't entirely crazy. There's some justification for it, more so than a few profiles pf characters with merely one feat to their name but I won't get into that.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Being in possession of the Power Stars doesn't quite mean they use them for combat; and actually the stars in the Mario Party series do have the same design as the Power Stars in various 3D Mario platformers.
So therefore, wouldn't that mean that Mario and Luigi, or at least Bowser Jr and Rosalina should be Low 2-C? This isn't by defeating bowser, this is by them being in possession of the Grand star. And even though the stars in the mario party series do have the same design, it doesn't mean that its an actual power star. Its even stated to be a toy made by E. Gadd.

Mario Party 2 came out before E. Gadd was introduced to the series; and Mario Party 10 also basically confirmed the Power Stars also being Lumas same with how it was explained in the Galaxy games.

And as I said, simply being in possession of the Grand Stars doesn't make you Tier 2, only using them for combat does. And I know there's technically a lot of stuff for Tier 2 Base Mario cast, but that still doesn't stop them from being outliers due to the controversies.

I'm not denying the fact that Lumas are basically equivalent to Power stars and vice versa.

I don't really think the order of the games coming out really matter, since as we already know, there is no mario canon, therefore no exact timeline. (Well except for the prequels and sequels and whatnot but you get my point.) Anyways, the point I'm trying to get across is that the Power stars that appear in Mario party are just toys created by E Gadd, regardless of whether or not they were introduced into the series at that point.

And if being in possession of the grand stars doesn't make them tier 2, then shouldn't them possessing power stars not equal to them being tier 3?

Where does the stars being toys created by E Gadd even come from? Because for all we know, that could only be the case for one entry in the series if that's true. Other Mario Party Games, especially 3 and 10 make them perfectly clear that they are legit power sources.

They're still shown to have similar powers in some of the Mario Party games; such as the case with the Millennium stars. And Mario Party 10 has similar stuff to the Power Stars.

Not sure why it wouldn't be considered a Power Star. Only one of the games refer to them as "Super Stars". These are clearly Power Stars due to more larger look at them. We also know these aren't the same as a Starman as shown here. I am not even sure why this matters, none of the 4-A feats are via Mario Party anyways.

I don't recall any of the games calling the stars power stars, and appearance isn't exactly everything. I guess this kind of matters, since one of the points im trying to make is that Donkey Kong shouldn't be Tier 3.

Anyways, all of this is beside the main point im trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that the characters that have Power Stars (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, etc) never actually use it offensively, rather they just possess the Power Stars. So their Tier 3 ranking doesn't really make much sense, considering the fact that we don't give them a Tier 2 ranking for them possessing a Grand Star.

Never said they were called Power Stars in Mario Party. But what else would they be? They clearly aren't the same as a Starman shown above, but nothing else exactly indicates they are different from Power Stars. Appearance isn't everything, but it is supporting evidence. They also float above the ground like Power Stars, and they are also usually scattered around all over the place during credit scenes, similarly how you would find them at random locations. I think their tier 3 key for Power Stars is fine because we see Mario use them to open blocked doors and restore power to the kingdom, implying Mario has been using its power. However I can agree DK's Power Star key should be removed.

Wouldn't lifting the weight of a black hole require more than stellar lifting strength, considering the fact that their gravity is so great that even light can't escape them, whereas it can escape stars? Does their gravitational pull not correlate with their weight? On that note, for the sake of debate on this site, has it ever been determined exactly how much faster than light something would have to be to escape their pulls, or is determining that impossible?

To be fair, FTL travel for calculating kinetic energy or force is considered inapplicable here.

I heard something about that as well; I recall you showing a scan that the Star Spirits creating the Dream Depot on another wiki. And I know the Star Rod has powers that even the seven Star Spirits had no effect on; but Peach was able to power null it. While it would scale to her physical stats obviously, Peach having 2-B levels of power nullification seems legit.

2-B Star Rod? Cool, nice to see Bowser having yet another key they'll be tier 2. Do we have a key for when Mario is amped up by all 7 Star Spirits? If not he should get one.

I guess that is fair enough. Just one more thing: The Grand Stars being used to power the Vehicles and Comet Observatory in SMG/2 wouldn't make it Tier 2 right?

Technically, Bowser Jr's mechs could be Low 2-C, but they're still outliers for Mario sadly.

A chunk of Low 2-C outliers for Mario in the Galaxy games, plus a Low 2-C outlier for Wario beating Black Jewel, plus another Low 2-C outlier for Bowser tanking the universal black hole, plus the Low 2-C outlier of Mario, Peach, and Bowser tanking the destruction of the Sammer Kingdom. A lot of consistent Low 2-C outliers ƒñö.

Not even joking, I'm tempted to say we could even push for a possibly Low 2-C rating alongside the 4-A stuff.

Yeah, there's far too many Tier 2 feats for base Mario to the point where it's contested whether or not these are outliers; that's like 15 Low 2-C feats right there. But we know how inconsistent Mario can get. And even the Power Stars, the 3-C feats are more prominent than the low end ones as far as SMG's lore in concerned. Since Rosalina implied the Lumas who turn into Power Stars are more special than the ones who turn into galaxies based on the context of her statement. And the merging base and Power Star keys due to Mario without Power Stars besting King Bob-Omb empowered by a Power Star. The 4-A feat is just going to look like a low-end at this point.

But, there's only so much we can do without going overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back