• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lord of the Rings revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all idk how late this is but there's some decent feats

I recall Sauron was stated as being able to create a powerful tremor that shook Mordor with his signal in Return of the King which could be used to help determine his tier (At least with powers)

Considering Mordor is 140,000 square miles this could support Tier 6 Valar (I'll see if I can find the passage)

I also definitely disagree with using the movie feats since they're a canon unto themselves (and maybe the Shadow of Games?)

If I could get a scan regarding intensity of the quake, yeah, that could be done and would yield fairly high results.

No, we don’t use the Shadow Of games to scale. They used to be 6-B from cross scaling, but there’s nothing proving they’re even remotely connected other than having a few characters with the same names.
Yeah the games are non canon

At most they're canon to the films since they do heavily base their aesthetic off them and acknowledge film only events (like the Nazgul at Dol Guldur)

I also believe they consulted Sir Peter Jackson but that's a whole other thing

I couldn't find my copy but this fanmade reading of the chapter has the feat

At that moment the rock quivered and trembled beneath them. The great rumbling noise, louder than ever before, rolled in the ground and echoed in the mountains. Then with searing suddenness there came a great read flash. Far beyond the eastern mountains it leapt into the sky and splashed the lowering clouds with crimson. In that valley of shadow and cold deathly light it seemed unbearably violent and fierce. Peaks of stone and ridges like notched knives sprang out in staring black against the uprushing flame in Gorgoroth. Then came a great crack of thunder.
Its not devastating but still enough for rock to "quiver and tremble" notably which is impressive since they are 90 miles away from the beacon's origin point at Barad Dur

The Witch King also seems to be able to sense the One Ring's great power which could qualify for Extrasensory Perception

There's also stuff like Sauron conjuring great storms in Return of the King to aid his forces
‘No, and will not rise today, Master Holbytla. Nor ever again, one should think, under this cloud. ...
‘It comes from Mordor, lord,’ he said. ‘It began last night at sunset. From the hills in the Eastfold of your realm I saw it rise and creep across the sky, and all night as I rode it came behind eating up the stars. Now the great cloud hangs over all the land between here and the Mountains of Shadow; and it is deepening. War has already begun.
They also heavily imply that Sauron was behind the storm that hit Red Horn in the first book, which Gandalf implies is, in fact, the case.
‘I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy,’ said Boromir. ‘They say in my land that he can govern the storms in the Mountains of Shadow that stand upon the borders of Mordor. He has strange powers and many allies.’
‘His arm has grown long indeed,’ said Gimli, ‘if he can draw snow down from the North to trouble us here three hundred leagues away.’
‘His arm has grown long,’ said Gandalf.

The first storm is said to reach from Minas Tirith to Mordor which is an impressive distance

Last edited:
They're not even canon to the films, Talion is never once mentioned or shown in the films. (Talion's profile is also really messed up, but i'm planning to tackle that later)
He isn't but why would he?

Even ignoring the fact the games came out 10 years after the trilogy, the events of the games take place in the 60 years between the Hobbit and Fellowship

Also not being mentioned in the films isn't an argument, otherwise KOTOR would never be in canon with the Star Wars films despite the fact it was connected in Legends
It's a huge thing in multimedia franchises

You'd imagine that one of the biggest threats to Sauron's rule that holds him off for "centuries" while using his own ring against him would be something that would be at least somewhere in the lore. He's literally never mentioned, and there's no connecting lore.

This is enough derailing though.

You'd imagine that one of the biggest threats to Sauron's rule that holds him off for "centuries" while using his own ring against him would be something that would be at least somewhere in the lore. He's literally never mentioned, and there's no connecting lore.

This is enough derailing though.
Oh yeah it should be talked about in it’s own thread lol, might do one another day for Shadow of Mordor

We cannot scale Shadow of Mordor to the Movie version of TLOTR, no. They are part of different continuities.

Rq, can someone confirm Mordor's size linked above? It's just a FANDOM article so best to be sure. The 600 miles bit is the most important part I need confirmed.

Hey all idk how late this is but there's some decent feats

I recall Sauron was stated as being able to create a powerful tremor that shook Mordor with his signal in Return of the King which could be used to help determine his tier (At least with powers)

Considering Mordor is 140,000 square miles this could support Tier 6 Valar (I'll see if I can find the passage)

I also definitely disagree with using the movie feats since they're a canon unto themselves (and maybe the Shadow of Games?)
May I ask where this feat comes from again (like media, chapter, verse/page)?

It's up above

The feat comes from Chapter 11 (IIRC) of the Two Towers novel by Tolkien

So its definitely applicable to the books

Also do we have calcs for the Silmarils or is that just Heat shenanigans

I realize you want to give them like an introductory eval but

I sort of
already
did
the thing
there
sorry

Okay. No problem. Thank you for the help. I will have to ask them later.

Anyway, the calculation can be used/applied then.

So is the movie feat accepted at 3.5513E+18 J / 848780524.5 tons of TNT (Mountain)? @Ourosboros is not a calc staff so someone else needs to evaluate that one.

Then again, the movie feat only scale to the movie characters.

Can you link to what needs to be evaluated please?

Can you link to what needs to be evaluated please?
This

My methodology is accepted but I have two sets of variables (the height of the lava jump (967 m, 2287 m or 42287 m) and the lava eruption speed (using PE formula or KE formula)) and I need another calc member to agree on.

I'm not really sure why such a high speed was assumed for the eruption when IRL they usually reach 200/300 m/s. With lower speeds, KE would be fine I think. Since we can clearly see the lava and it doesn't really seem like bullet time is happening, the timeframe used is wrong imo.

Last edited:
Actually, the lava itself isn't shot in eruptions, it just flows out, and the things that are seen flying in the clip are, indeed, rocks. (There's a big firey explosion but that's what all explosions look like in Hollywood). I think this method is flawed.

Thank you, but please comment in the blog itself.

I want more staff members to comment on whether that said feat is a volcano eruption feat since it becomes debatable in a lot of ways (and I fear to spoil objectivity if I comment too early).

And if that is one, which end should be adopted.

? Of course it's a volcano eruption, I don't see how anyone'll contrast that, the real issue is the way it was calculated.

I dunno, not really a geologist. Maybe if you could find out the percentage of lava displaced, or the size of the rocks shot out, it could be worth something. Perhaps the amount of smoke it creates? Idk

Is anyone willing to check that out? I'm a bit too green for something that might be a new wiki standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back