• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lord of the Rings Discussion Thread

It’s basically an indie animation web series made by GLITCH Productions. At first it’s about cute little robots murdering each other, then it becomes a more complex story involving Eldritch horrors, Reality-ending A.I, and more.

Definitely a must-watch. Though I will say: it has its flaws. Mostly in terms of the story, because each episode has a relatively short runtime of 20+ minutes, so stuff tends to be crammed in and rushed, while other details are completely left out.
That sounds awesome!

Was looking at Sauron's profile and just noticed that while he has thousands of km as his range for weather manipulation, nothing about it is listed on his profile 😭 There are like a good amount of abilities missing for different characters too that somehow get referenced on their profiles.

Was looking at Sauron's profile and just noticed that while he has thousands of km as his range for weather manipulation, nothing about it is listed on his profile 😭 There are like a good amount of abilities missing for different characters too that somehow get referenced on their profiles.
Most profiles are outdated AF. Aaragon, Boromir, Gimli, Frodo, and Sam don't have a movie profile. Legolas doesn't have a movie profile, but he does have a Lego profile for some reason. The Ents, Wolves, Vampires, or most of LOTR's bestiary don't have them. Someone needs to do a massive rework of the verse.

Most profiles are outdated AF. Aaragon, Boromir, Gimli, Frodo, and Sam don't have a movie profile. Legolas doesn't have a movie profile, but he does have a Lego profile for some reason. The Ents, Wolves, Vampires, or most of LOTR's bestiary don't have them. Someone needs to do a massive rework of the verse.
Lmao Legolas only having a Lego profile is hilarious for some reason. I imagine after the 1-A through 0 revisions all of the abilities can be hammered out. The formatting and images on a majority of the profiles could be much better as well. The major problem is that unfortunately, it seems like only the people on this thread engage with LoTR, so it would probably take a while to get everything worked out.

Edit: Also the "unimpressive hax" part of the verse page needs to get negged because it offends me ;-;

Lmao Legolas only having a Lego profile is hilarious for some reason. I imagine after the 1-A through 0 revisions all of the abilities can be hammered out. The formatting and images on a majority of the profiles could be much better as well. The major problem is that unfortunately, it seems like only the people on this thread engage with LoTR, so it would probably take a while to get everything worked out.

Edit: Also the "unimpressive hax" part of the verse page needs to get negged because it offends me ;-;
We got statements that should put cosmic souls Morgoth above concepts and limited BDE. Unimpressive hax my a**

We got statements that should put cosmic souls Morgoth above concepts and limited BDE. Unimpressive hax my a**
Talk about outdated. At this point, LotR is arguably one of the strongest verses in all of fiction, alongside The Elder Scrolls, Marvel Comics, Cthulu Mythos, etc. And hot take incoming, LotR is a stronger verse than SCP. I have no regrets in saying that.

Ah damn Vividen is back
Might be some minor reality warping. Alternatively could be some time screwery since the Elven Rings seem to prevent fading with some temporal power.
I’d more call it some Kind of curse Manipulation, maybe even something like the Black Breath but on a larger scale

Ah damn Vividen is back

I’d more call it some Kind of curse Manipulation, maybe even something like the Black Breath but on a larger scale
Could definetly be that instead.
I'll be making some LotR scaling videos on my YouTube channel to help people realize how strong the verse is, but that might be a while out. I have some older LotR vids on my main channel but I've switched to a paleontology focus there
Hey, paleontology's pretty great as well. Used to be my dream as a kid.

I remember that you scaled the Nazgûl at Dwarf Star/Brown Dwarf level during the Third Age and at Star level with their Rings of Power. What feats/statements led you to that conclusion?
That was very vague downscaling from the 4-A+ tier that many physical bodies of the Maiar and Valar were put at. Nowadays I hesitate to scale the Ringwraiths at all since their powerset is very specific and their stats are potentially all over the place.

Yeah the Nazgûl are an absolute pain. Logically they should downscale from Gandalf the Grey and Glorfindel to some (emphasis on "some") extent, but they're emphasised to not be that stand out as warriors without fear (Witch-King aside).

Personal scaling wise, I view WotR top tiers as somewhere in tier 6. Of course, we lack calcs to support this, but it's my headcanon.

On the opposite end, I kinda hate how many we have at High 3-A (despite supporting it), but it's the way the scaling works so I don't really object it. Personally I view most of the High 3-A characters as tier 5 to 4.

Tier 0 and High 1-A+ I wholeheartedly stand by though.

Yeah the Nazgûl are an absolute pain. Logically they should downscale from Gandalf the Grey and Glorfindel to some (emphasis on "some") extent, but they're emphasised to not be that stand out as warriors without fear (Witch-King aside).

Personal scaling wise, I view WotR top tiers as somewhere in tier 6. Of course, we lack calcs to support this, but it's my headcanon.

On the opposite end, I kinda hate how many we have High 3-A as well (despite supporting it), but it's the way the scaling works so I don't really object it. Personally I view most of the High 3-A characters as tier 5 to 4.

Tier 0 and High 1-A+ I wholeheartedly stand by though.
That's the funny thing with scaling Tolkien in general, First Age onward. There are a lot of ways to interpret scaling that are all equally valid "headcanons".

This is why I love the Shadow of War Nazgul, their scaling is just so damn simple and their hax is so good

This is why I love the Shadow of War Nazgul, their scaling is just so damn simple and their hax is so good
Yeah, those games (alongside being great fun but lore headaches) have some neat hax. Love that they gave the Rings time related stuff. It's actually fairly justified with canon (with a bit of a stretch).

The canon Nazgûl will definetly get some solid stuff though (somehow forgot to use them to justify a solid Resistance to Fear Manipulation for Aragorn, need to do that in the future) like NI, an aura of disease, etc. Shame they get no regen though unlike SoW. They don't regen, their bodies are in the Unseen World and can't interact outside it. It's the cloaks that let them interact with the living world.

On the topic of undead, I also need to remember adding the justification to Legolas and Aragorn that ghosts are mentioned by Tolkien to impart supernatural fear. Should give them solid Resistance to Fear (or rather extra justification for Aragorn).

That's the funny thing with scaling Tolkien in general, First Age onward. There are a lot of ways to interpret scaling that are all equally valid "headcanons".
Yeah, especially with how Tolkien cared more for telling a good story than powerscaling (thank goodness).

A lot of good drama in having Finrod be saved from orcs by Barahir. Powerscaling wise? It's a bit of a nightmare.

But tbf, the First Age has everyone being stronger than most of the later Ages, even orcs are stronger than their descendents (maybe not Uruks, but we have Maiar-in orc forms to handwave stuff like above).

The big scaling pains are the contradictory stuff like Gandalf the White > Andúril > Sauron (LA) > Sauron (WotR) > Gandalf the White > And...

Or

Gandalf the Grey =< Glorfindel (Reborn) =< Olorin >> Gandalf the Grey.

Or

Galadriel > Glorfindel > Gandalf the Grey > Galadriel... (the one that was accepted in Galadriel > Glorfindel > Gandalf I believe)

The middle one is why everyone is "likely far higher." Everyone might downscale from Olorin to some extent and Glorfindel has a decent statement, but it makes very little sense and is so paradoxical. Probably will need to revisit the scaling some time in the future.

Last edited:
Feanor

Back