• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Laxus' Lightning and FT's Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidenBrooks999

VS Battles
Retired
This isn't downplaying, even if the meteor had this kind of speed Erza would have plenty of time to react to it.(assuming she saw it while it passed the clouds ,around 2km, she jumps when the meteor is 313 m from the ground which means she had 0.000491 sec to react (which isn't Sub-Rel reactions).Another way would be if we found how much the meteor moved from the time she jumped to the time she destroyed it but there are no clear scans for us to find the height at which she destroyed it.

Kkapoios said:
Another way would be if we found how much the meteor moved from the time she jumped to the time she destroyed it but there are no clear scans for us to find the height at which she destroyed it.
I'm going to do that, that's the method DT suggested

I am fine with Laxus' lightning being treated as having real properties.

Well considering everyone here and on the blog agrees with this. I think it is safe to say this part of the revision will have no problems.

I feel like we should discuss this more here. With the start of that Avatar Revision and FinalBattle's comments I feel like we should these lightning feats more. I still say this is fine and a majority of us all agreed. Now with one person's comments the whole thing is now causing an unsightful stir.

Well, I think that we have generally accepted lightning dodging feats for other franchises, so singling out Fairy Tail and AtLA to not accept it may be unfair, but I am uncertain.

I feel like this is spiralling out of control. I'd like us to reach a decision before Aiden gets back in 5 days. I say we should accept it. And then we treat Sting's stuff as an outlier.

Okay. After reading the blog discussion, I also think that we should accept it.

@Antvasima,while I believe AtLA is something we should discuss elsewhere because the show is very rooted to the power of natural elements and etc and holds more merit than FT (IMO). However with Fairy Tail we really should consider the evidences provided by finalbattle, as they are the reasons so many of who initially agreed with the upgrade now shift with the new evidences

While the conflict with aiden and final was something in a way chaotic, we can't excuse or deny the very credible points given to is by @Final.

Looking over the blog and all the evidence I have to side with finals proposition about laxus's lightning being not natural.

Unlike let's say AtLA, fairy tails use of elements is akin to that of SF, example Ryus Denjin mode which utilizes electricity based on ki. And laxus's electricity as shown by final has physical properties that showcase more of it being unnatural than it being real lightining due to its magical nature IMO.

Opninions of course are necessary and I patiently wait to hear others thoughts on the matter. While aidens reasoning were initially sound, however as of now I side with laxus's being not real lightning.

See and I disagree. I agree more towards Aiden's points. He also as we see showed that magic is linked to nature in his first link while also Showing Laxus's lightning acting as real lightning. I honestly feel like Aiden's proposal is something we can accept.

As Kk said he's fine with this being considered real lightning. Heck the guy has literally come down from thunderclouds. i.e cloud to ground lightning.

We aren't ignoring what he said. But we are also judging his evidence with Aiden's evidence in which both equally support both sides. And with Irene's recent feat and Laxus' red lightning I feel this can be accepted.

Also, I highly doubt it is going to spiral out of control. Because the only people who have tried this so far are two staff members (me and Aiden) who don't wanna get fired anytime soon.

The real cal howard said:
Also, I highly doubt it is going to spiral out of control. Because the only people who have tried this so far are two staff members (me and Aiden) who don't wanna get fired anytime soon.
Did you read the argument between him and Final?

The problem is that as we can see not a lot of staff have commented here... So this likely won't be settled here and thus will take up a lot of time of the actual revision.

I'm mostly ambivalent towards this situation, but Laxus' lightning does seem to possess the traits of real lightning from my perspective.

I still believe we should shelve the meteor feat until similar feats emerge, since it's still several magnitudes above the calculated speed rating.

Well, Aiden messaged me about some links with evidence, that I should insert here, but as most of you know, fanfiction.net tends to remove such additions, unless written in a certain manner.

Anyway, he has had a conversation with DontTalk about how to properly calculate Erza's meteor speed feat, which may give different results that are closer to the lightning dodging speeds.

I think that it may be best to wait for him to return.

After discussing with Grudgeman about this thread, we have come up with a proposal to make towards the whole Laxus' lightning situation. Treat the speed of lightning which comes from his body, differently than the speed the lightning which he (explicitly) fires from clouds. I propose this because the former having the speed of ctg lightning when it's fired from a body rather than a cloud doesn't make sense.

If there's some statement which implies the speed of his lightning is the same regardless of whether it comes from his body or the clouds then you can do so I suppose.

Such an approach seems to single Fairy Tail out compared with other franchises though.

Going by Occam's razor, it seems most likely that he only uses one type of lightning, not several.

Antvasima said:
Such an approach seems to single Fairy Tail out compared with other franchises though.
Going by Occam's razor, it seems most likely that he only uses one type of lightning, not several.
Then do the same with other series, it was in my intentions to propose a solution to not only find a way to deal with this instance. But also, to figure out a way to deal with all instances similar to this one.

Well, if we go by Occam's razor he would have two types of lightning. One which has a source from the clouds; another where his body is the source of the lightning.

I highly doubt Laxus uses two types of lightning. Seeing as he never said he used more than one. Only other lightning he has ever specifically used was the red lightning. I highly doubt these two lightnings are different. I chalk it up to fiction not 100% portraying lightning 100% of the time. This is the case with multiple fictions with lightning feats.

"I highly doubt Laxus uses two types of lightning."

Using lightning where your body is the source, differs from using lightning where a cloud is the source.

"Only other lightning he has ever specifically used was the red lightning. I highly doubt these two lightnings are different."

You already mentioned a difference; that's the colour of the bolt itself I'd imagine

"I chalk it up to fiction not 100% portraying lightning 100% of the time. This is the case with multiple fictions with lightning feats."

This isn't the problem here, the problem is where the lightning comes from; how we go about dealing with instances where the source of the lightning isn't from a cloud but rather a human body.

"Using lightning where your body is the source, differs from using lightning where a cloud is the source."

And how does that make it different lightning magic? It is still his Dragon Slayer Lightning. We can't just go around making rules for a verse when the series itself never made the distinction.

"You already mentioned a difference; that's the colour of the bolt itself I'd imagine."

I meant I doubt the lightning from his body and the clouds are different. The red lightning is obviously different and as was of now the only confirmed different lightning Laxus uses.

"This isn't the problem here, the problem is where the lightning comes from; how we go about dealing with instances where the source of the lightning isn't from a cloud but rather a human body."

So are you saying everyone who uses lightning from their body is not using pure lightning? It is only pure lightning when it comes from clouds. Despite said lightning being their only style of lightning available. So pretty much any lightning from the body cannot be as fast as the real thing. Despite similar properties. I'm sorry this just seems like an assumption. And like I said it just seems that we would just be making up a rule for a verse that does not exist.

@DragonmasterXYZ That why we proposed that unless stated to be as fast as real lightening, we can't treat lightning from ANY series that shoots it from their body to be like natural lighting.

However, Laxus' Lightning has shown to have properties of real lightning. So why wouldn't his lightning hold the speed of real lightning when it has showncased time and time again that it behaves like real lightning.

"I mean I doubt the lightning from his body and the clouds are different"

If that's the case, why even bother alternating between the two if they have no differences whatsoever? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to use it from his body as the distance between him and his opponent would be closer compared to his opponents and a cloud?

"So are you saying everyone who uses lightning from their body is not using pure lightning?"

Well, firstly it's cloud to ground lightning; yes that is my point. As slapping on the speed from lightning from a cloud to where someone fires lightning from their body is unwise. As the source from which the lightning came is incredibly different.

"I'm sorry this just seems like an assumption"

An assumption would be to say that lightning coming from the clouds is the exact same speed as lightning which comes from someone's body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back