• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Laxus' Lightning and FT's Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
By any chance does this lightning damage 8-C+ characters or higher? If so, then that is probably not real lightning or doesn't assume the properties. (Sorry just got to this thread and not knowledgeable on verse, so excuse me if this is a pretty stupid point)

"If that's the case, why even bother alternating between the two if they have no differences whatsoever? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to use it from his body as the distance between him and his opponent would be closer compared to his opponents and a cloud?"

Simply put for hype and dramatic effect. That is nowhere near sufficient proof that they are two different types of lightning. Plus seeing as Laxus himself can turn into lightning why not? It is a simple answer. And like I said why are you trying to create a mechanic in a verse where said mechanic never even existed.

"Well, firstly it's cloud to ground lightning; yes that is my point. As slapping on the speed from lightning from a cloud to where someone fires lightning from their body is unwise. As the source from which the lightning came is incredibly different."

Yet this is how we've done things and it has worked. What now we have to change that rule because suddenly Fairy Tail has shown that Laxus' lightning has behaved like real lightning. Why is this suddenly a problem? If someone controls lightning, their lightning should not be any different unless they SPECIFICALLY say that it is.

"An assumption would be to say that lightning coming from the clouds is the exact same speed as lightning which comes from someone's body."

An assumption would also be that think the two lightning speed are different despite nothing implying it to be so.

SomebodyData said:
By any chance does this lightning damage 8-C+ characters or higher? If so, then that is probably not real lightning or doesn't assume the properties. (Sorry just got to this thread and not knowledgeable on verse, so excuse me if this is a pretty stupid point)
Well doesn't most lightning in fictions above 8-C hurt the upper tier characters? Zeus from GoW comes to mind since his cloud to ground lightning bolts can hurt someone like Kratos. But to answer your question yes it has. It is Dragon Slayer Magic that has shown to behave like actual lightning as Aiden proved to us.

Hmm that is true, though then again, two wrongs don't make a right. For now, I guess I'll be neutral on the topic.

Also let's say we were to go along with your. Do you realize how many files and speeds need to be edited? We have over tens of thousands of files. The workload would be immeasurable. Especially when nothing is wrong with how we currently handle lightning feats.

SomebodyData said:
Hmm that is true, though then again, two wrongs don't make a right. For now, I guess I'll be neutral on the topic.
But the question is that Is it a wrong?

Well Dragon, again, two wrongs don't make a right. If our profiles are wrong, then it is our job to at least attempt to fix them. Also, there aren't over tens of thousands of files using lightning speed calcs, worst case scenario is that even with scaling, it is somewhere between a thousand or even less. And yes, if lightning is portrayed to have a different property than normal lightning, and we don't correct that, then we are handling lightning feats wrong.

I agree that changing the entire wiki standard, along with searching through 10000+ profiles, due to not liking a proposed Fairy Tail upgrade, is completely out of the question.

I accept this upgrade. It does not make sense to treat Fairy Tail disfavourably when we have a functioning standard since previously.

@Antasima, assuming you mean I disagree due to my own reasons and not because of simple hate or dislike, you must understand that if we do have something wrong, then we should probably correct it. Additionally, couldn't we argue then, the same for every laser or light feat, despite not having the properties of actual ones, like here with the AP effectiveness of the lightning?

But the problem here is SD is that Laxus' lightning has properties of real lightning as Aiden proved.

Yes, but as you've stated and I've pointed out, the ability to affect characters higher than 8-C+ is not a normal property of lightning.

(If there was a statement about his lightning being superior or stronger than normal lightning, then it would at least explain that aspect. Do you know if there is one? We could also chalk up its ability to damage characters above 8-C+ as PIS, if it hasn't happened that often.)

I've looked through the links and I'm satisfied with treating Laxus' lightning similarly to the ctg lightning; they've both demonstrated similar characteristics, such as being redirected and hitting the tallest objects first ala lightning rod.

I thought this was a case where we treat a character who fires lightning from his body exactly the same as lightning being shot from a cloud without any implications of them being the same.

@AMM Okay. No problem.

@SD By that reasoning, Thor could not ever affect anybody stronger than Spider-Man with his lightning-bolts. It is fiction. We have to give it a certain leeway.

Ok I guess, then again, Thor's lightning is also MFTL+, but I understand the point. WilliamShadows, a member here also stated that it is superior to normal lightning, and while I understand my point is debunked, I would like to mention it in case my point comes back from another staff member. Supporting the OP.

I don't agree with the strength of lightning instantly making the speed of the lightning unquantifiable, think of it something like this. You read a comic book where there's like a snake; the snake just ups and barks out of nowhere. Fair enough we've got a snake with abnormal traits on our hands, but is it fair to assume the speed at which that snake pounces on something is completely unknown as a result?

Anyway, Aiden will be away studying until Saturday, so the upgrades will have to wait for a while.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of AMM. Plus, it doesn't seem out of the question to assume his lightning just packs more gigawatts than average lightning.

O v O Even after I said my argument was debunked people still go at it ;_; Sometimes overkill is a bit too much.

@Judge I see lol

Since the matter seems to be settled, should we close this thread until Aiden comes back?

While i won't be able to finish the revison after this weekend, I saw the notifications of this threads and I wanted to post some of the comments and thoughts of DT in the Erza Feat.

Here, here, here and here

About Laxus' lightning, while is true that it has some differences with real one, it obviously won't be the exact same, is stills magic. And while "two wrongs don't make a right", we still accepts things with less proofs as real lightning

Ok, lol overkill again...

Close it pls b0ss @Dragon

EDIT: Actually I can just do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back