• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lapis Flight Speed Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for formaility

Lapis states that she flew to the edge of the Milky Way in a short period of time (we don't know exactly, but certainly less than a year). This would only be her flight speed, and would scale to no one,

Slight correction, she flew out of the Milky Way an then flew back to Earth in whats implied to only be a few weeks at the most. With her feat of flying to Homeworld that's now two MFTL+ feats for her.

So ether the Gems can't go FTL thing doesn't apply to Lapis or writers can't do math again ( latter is more likely admittedly )

or just don't care. One could make an argument for hyperbole (on the writers' part, not Lapis'. like, she really did go that far, but the authors just used it as a throw-away line)

I don't think they should get FTL stats.

They didn't just state gems can't go the speed of light, they actually showed it too when their physical bodies couldn't keep up with their gems in the FTL ship, so they ended up lagging behind and phasing through stuff.

Canon didn't just say. It showed too. So I'm personally against it. Poor writing and inconsistencies shouldn't result in an upgrade.

I am fine with giving Lapis MFTL+ flight speed.

The gems are canonically stated to be light composed forms, and canonically shown. It's also canonically shown that Gems cannot perceive nor move faster than light. Hell, Lapis somewhat struggled to catch up to a plane. That makes those 2 MFTL+ feat clear outliers. That does not disprove the WoG and the canon scene shown. MFTL+ Lapis is a contradiction to the show and her showings.

LuckyCharmingStar said:
Oh, Jasper caught Lapis before she could fly away too, MFTL+ reactions for Jasper now?
Flight in the vacuum of space may be faster than flight in atmosphere.

Yes. Let's not get carried away here.

I have to agree with NoMoreStar here. MFTL+ Lapis seems like an outlier even if the feat has been performed twice. Gems have been established to not go beyond lightspeed before. This literally could scale to other gems considering people can react to Lapis' flight speed. The problem isn't in the feat, but the problem is in the consistency of the show's literal canon. Writers obviously aren't going to know how speed feats work out. For example, The Flash was stated to have gone a whim under the speed of light when saving people before a bomb would detonate. That same feat was calced at moving 13 trillion of times faster than light for him. Do we accept a feat over canonical statements to how gems work? The should be no unless retconned. Lapis' feats should be treated as non-applicable and outliers.

Well, I am neutral then. The writers of the show seem to be confused.

Idk I'm still thinking that if characters keep consistently showing the same feat, despite what WoG has to say, it should at least be considered.

how many times has Lapis been shown MFTL: 2

times shown gems can't move FTL: 1

So it should be her new speed. Its more consistant than the "gems can't go ftl"

Chartate101 said:
how many times has Lapis been shown MFTL: 2
times shown gems can't move FTL: 1

So it should be her new speed. Its more consistant than the "gems can't go ftl"
How many times Lapis has flown way slower then MFTL+: Transonic feat, Jasper grabbing her. No, it's not "more consistent".

Gojira1234 said:
Idk I'm still thinking that if characters keep consistently showing the same feat, despite what WoG has to say, it should at least be considered.
it's not consistent at all, it's contradictory to her showings

Well, more like a couple of blatant statements about her speed since we never actually see her flying that fast or see her on any of her supposedly MFTL journeys either during or at the end of her journeys.

I hope the SU writers in the future could actually show us what they mean when they say that Lapis is somehow flying across the galaxy.

Is that particular necessary?

We may not see how she flies back but we clearly know she does it with her flight we see all the time

We dont need to see it because we know that she did it. We know that she flew to Homeworld which is in another galaxy and we know she flew out of the milky way and back. Two solid MFTL+ feats.

Js250476 said:
Is that particular necessary?
We may not see how she flies back but we clearly know she does it with her flight we see all the time
Every time we see her flying on-screen, it is at undeniably slower than lightspeed speeds.

So for these statements to crop up of her flying outside the galaxy, it's reasonable to be skeptical.

Unless it is just being in space which allows her to reach those speeds which would be slightly more reasonable.

I don't think most Gems have demonstrable relativistic travel speed feats.

Sorry but no, this doesn't scale to anyone other than lapis and only to her flight speed, nothing else. It doesn't matter if no other gems have ran that fast as this feat is exclusively for lapis and exclusively for her flight speed and nothing else. The claim that gems can't go FTL is a severe case of writers not being able to do math and is as legit as the writer of DC saying the flash is only Relativistic and superman isn't ftl.

This is the second time shes perfirmed a feat of this level. Her flight speed is MFTL+

Did you not read above? Characters have shown realistically they can tag Lapis during her Flight Speed. The feat is not the problem in the sense of what it clearly is. Reacting to Lapis' flight speed would logically scale to the other characters if we allow this. That literally would defy what is mentioned above on how Gems can't percieve lightspeed or withstand traveling at that speed.

>"The claim that gems can't go FTL is a severe case of writers not being able to do math and is as legit as the writer of DC saying the flash is only Relativistic and superman isn't ftl"

False analogy to the literal max. It's not just a simple statement dude. When the ship legitimately travels at lightspeed, the Crystal Gems are not present as they are in the state of just their gems . It's something the continuity has specified and has applied to multiple gems beyond just a select group meaning it's applicable to all of them.

Lapis is no exception to this. Saying, "the writers can't do math" doesn't do away with the fact Lapis' feat would contradict what the authors outright imply. The gems can't travel at lightspeed. Unless you are saying we should completely ignore such a focal element because of two instances which would state otherwise and negating the purpose of having that propert in the show, then we must ignore the feat.

Also, it legitimately does matter who gems have reacted to things near lightspeed. They struggle to dodge lasers (they share the properties of lasers) even from distances. The best instances for speed we have for them is two consistent Relativistic+ feats which align with the show's consistency. I get that this is solely just Lapis' travel speed, but she legitimately shouldn't be able to travel that speed without being affected by it like the Crystal Gems have when accelerating at those speeds.

The feat is legitimately just going from another galaxy and back with the same portrayal of speed. It's not like Lapis has done this in any other scenario to even warrant the rating. Unless the information is retconned, Lapis simply isn't MFTL+ for the fact your reasoning is saying that properties established outside of a statement contribute to that of falsehood and overall mean nothing to just some feats that are even outlierish compared to other demonstrated feats from Lapis' flight speed to begin with.

@Rena Its flight speed for when she is in space, no character has even even interacted with her in space

And yes actually, she's done this on two seperate occasions

Feats take precedence over statements and authorial intent on this wiki

WeeklyBattles said:
@Rena Its flight speed for when she is in space, no character has even even interacted with her in space
And yes actually, she's done this on two seperate occasions
You ignored most of my reasoning and hardly touched it. Legitimately, the point of her being tagged is if we're applying it by on planet standards. My reasoning still stands.

My point was that it's pretty much the same feat. She went back and forth to the same two locations. It's not like a scenario where she does this but she also flies faster than like an MFTL+ beam. You are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

WeeklyBattles said:
Feats take precedence over statements and authorial intent on this wiki
You are ignoring the fact gems have literal been shown not to be able to even percieve lightspeed as they are just the gem as they can't withstand traveling at the speed. Author intent here and legitimate properties established in canon take priority over the feats because it goes against one of the fundamentals and legitimate showings as well.

WeeklyBattles said:
We do not treat authorial intent or statements as legitimate if there are feats that demonstrate otherwise, that is how it works on this wiki
Again did you read my comment? They have actually been treated to not be able to go above lightspeed. It is not just a statement. We literally see this in action. That literally contradicts the entire premise of MFTL+ Lapis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back