• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

J.M. DeMatteis Cosmology Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no official statement from DC or DeMatteis that Seekers into the mystery is not part of the DCU And the magician also appeared in comic Doctor Fate Vol 2.
One, the comic itself states that DeMatteis owns the copyright and trademark in both comics. Anyone who has actual read the comic would see it in the fine print. Two, the "Magician" is Meher Baba. Using a real-world person's likeness in both comics doesn't make it canon to each other. If that's your proof, you're going to be in a rude of an awakening. It's an undeniable fact that DeMatteis owns Seekers and it by virtue isn't canonically apart of DC. In fact, it was also published under the Vertigo Imprint in 1996. That's 7 years after Doctor Fate.

DeMatteis saying his god is the same in all of his writings doesn't mean you're free to composite all of his works together.

One, the comic itself states that DeMatteis owns the copyright and trademark in both comics. Anyone who has actual read the comic would see it in the fine print. Two, the "Magician" is Meher Baba. Using a real-world person's likeness in both comics doesn't make it canon to each other. If that's your proof, you're going to be in a rude of an awakening. It's an undeniable fact that DeMatteis owns Seekers and it by virtue isn't canonically apart of DC. In fact, it was also published under the Vertigo Imprint in 1996. That's 7 years after Doctor Fate.

DeMatteis saying his god is the same in all of his writings doesn't mean you're free to composite all of his works together.
It does since everything intertwines with the exception of DC characters which are God and Pralaya specifically his Creation.

Meher Baba was literally mentioned in Doctor Fate. The Avatar is designed after Meher Baba not to mention they literally refer to Baba as the Avatar like how the Magician is based on him. He only used the magical side similar to his time in Marvel with the Shamaballa story as he reintroduced God as a Magician and Creation as Maya.

It does since everything intertwines with the exception of DC characters which are God and Pralaya specifically his Creation.

Meher Baba was literally mentioned in Doctor Fate. The Avatar is designed after Meher Baba not to mention they literally refer to Baba as the Avatar like how the Magician is based on him. He only used the magical side similar to his time in Marvel with the Shamaballa story as he reintroduced God as a Magician and Creation as Maya.
Yes, like I already mentioned, Meher Baba is a real life person and DeMatteis used his likeness in both as in his spiritual belief, that's his god. That doesn't make them canon to each other. Maya doesn't exist in DC, outside of Forever People and she was just a mother box in there. Pralaya doesn't exist in Seekers. Seekers came after his Doctor Fate run. So not only is pralaya completely absent, Maya, written by DeMatteis in DC, is completely different. Shamaballa actually had a seekers accurate version of Maya in it.

That said, we can leave it up to staff to decide. There's no point in us clogging the thread up with this. If they say it's allowed then I'll concede on it. If not then oh well. It's not like it being excluded prevents this upgrade from happening.

One, the comic itself states that DeMatteis owns the copyright and trademark in both comics. Anyone who has actual read the comic would see it in the fine print
How does this negate canonicity between works? He simply has the right to say at any time that this comic does not belong to Dc, but he didn’t do that, right?
It's an undeniable fact that DeMatteis owns Seekers and it by virtue isn't canonically apart of DC
This requires strong evidence of the author and publisher
In fact, it was also published under the Vertigo Imprint in 1996. That's 7 years after Doctor Fate.
When will people understand that Vertigo and Dc are the same universe, and that the characters of Vertigo appeared even before the appearance of Vertigo himself. Destine (Endless) appeared in the DC comics themselves, before the birth of Vertigo, does this make them different universes? Either Yahweh himself appeared partially in the Superman comics, or was indicated in Final Crisis as the God of Angels. Anti-life has appeared in Vertigo, and many other characters from DC comics.

I mostly agree. Just I'm a little hesitant about the scalings, it's much more likely that creation as a whole is Low 1-A. But even this title is extremely difficult to be accepted by this wiki, so I can understand you. I see no harm in applying these scalings to God and others in Seekers. This situation becomes even clearer when we consider Matteis' fixed views on God and Creation, regardless of the company he belongs to, and the information he conveys to us. Same thing, no difference. It seems extremely ridiculous and ridiculous that one of them stays in 1-C and the other is upgraded to 1-A.

I mostly agree. Just I'm a little hesitant about the scalings, it's much more likely that creation as a whole is Low 1-A. But even this title is extremely difficult to be accepted by this wiki, so I can understand you. I see no harm in applying these scalings to God and others in Seekers. This situation becomes even clearer when we consider Matteis' fixed views on God and Creation, regardless of the company he belongs to, and the information he conveys to us. Same thing, no difference. It seems extremely ridiculous and ridiculous that one of them stays in 1-C and the other is upgraded to 1-A.
Creation being Low 1-A wouldn't make sense since we're scaling it from the inside as a structure. If Material was Creation and Heaven a completely different separate Dream then yes but it's all one layered Dream.

If you think Material is High 1-B alone due to infinite spatial dimension then yes. All Creation can either be Low 1-A or 1-A. Since it's so hard to prove spatial dimension I rather we stick with this rating. Until the Ultima proposal is accepted that is ;)

Last edited:
Why do we scale dream layers from outside of creation? Considering that creation is divided into levels, there are infinite layers at each level. Material realms and spatial dimensions are infinite. Larfleeze's treatment of parallel realities as surrounded by a higher dimensional chain shows us this. I mentioned R>F among the heavens, they are all shadows of each other and the heavens are the mental level of creation. Each level contains infinite layers of QS. Low 1-A would be the worst case scenario for Creation. Additionally, it could take months for Ultima's proposal to be accepted and implemented.

Maybe, you have to ask the others because I technically have enough votes from mods not discluding so far pretty much everyone else agrees.

It's very possible but they want a very strict interpretation and direct statement, they don't like context-based things.

Here is more evidence of QS (totally not copy pasted)
At the beginning of the story, Lucas experienced dreams, reminiscent to his past, constantly. This certain point of events is part of the premise of the story. These dreams were at first insubstantial, but later on, it reveal to held impact in the story. These dreams is actually layered, with dreams being qualitatively superior than the last.
Issue # 13, P. 12
The Magician's the one who's interested in ripping the truth out of you... In stripping the layers of dreams and dragging you into a light that's so bright--it will blind you and burn you alive.

It is further reiterated with another definition such as it being called levels of existence.
Issue # 13, P. 10
You've seen for yourself, these past weeks there are levels of existence far beyond what you've know.

Dreams aren't merely simple "dreams", higher dreams can replace what is reality and become more real to it, and there would be another higher dream above it, as shown here; Dreams was able to replace reality, when it was only being viewed as fiction, and afterwards another one can ascend to another higher dream if allowed by God

This should explicate and elucidate the fact that the difference between the dreams are qualitatively superior. These dreams are, of course, still part of Maya. As she represent all things in creation. The size of Dreams aren't really specified or stated, however it can contain uncountable universes. This should scale to all other dreams, as there's no invalidations nor statements against it, there's actually more supporting it than against it.
Issue # 10, P. 13
Then the dreams began: naked, I drift through uncountable universes, falling through the heart of exploding stars. Goddesses of unspeakable beauty would press me against their breasts, gods of terrible power would pierce me with their swords.

Beyond these layers of dreams, or to be exact; beyond Maya, would be the the True Reality; God. God is the being that emanated these dreams.
Issue # 10, P. 15
He had come. The singer whose song seduced my heart. The poet whose words brought forth the world. The Reality from which emanated all my cherished dreams. And He flew with me across eternity, danced with me down into time's timeless depth. Silently he gave his love and silently I accept it.
This is further supported the fact that stripping the layers of dreams would result of being absorbed into God's existence.
Issue # 13, P. 12
The Magician's the one who's interested in ripping the truth out of you... In stripping the layers of dreams and dragging you into a light that's so bright--it will blind you and burn you alive.
what comics are the quotes from

Matteis has said his “God” is not a comic book character but he sees it as the ultimate power. Both stories defined him as that and I very much would love it, if we merged all his stories since this is definitely his cosmology not just for DCU.
I don’t think it’s fair to make an exception to how creator owned comics are treated on here just so you can use Seekers into Mystery to help your scaling. We don’t scale the Unwritten due to being creator owned so this should be treated the same way.

I don’t think it’s fair to make an exception to how creator owned comics are treated on here just so you can use Seekers into Mystery to help your scaling. We don’t scale the Unwritten due to being creator owned so this should be treated the same way.
It was never needed. It just adds more to it since the other story basically does everything Seekers told. Quite a poisoning of the well there.

It was never needed. It just adds more to it since the other story basically does everything Seekers told. Quite a poisoning of the well there.
Well then you should remove it from your evidence pool in the post. Also I don’t know what you mean by “poisoning of the well” here.

Well then you should remove it from your evidence pool in the post. Also I don’t know what you mean by “poisoning of the well here.”
The Seekers part are individuals in most cases. It doesn't need to be removed, it can be ignored.

Plus, we still need to see what the others think of implementing it. As for the fallacy I called, you're creating a false dilemma of why I used the scans trying to pry it to the others as if I solidify that it should be used.

Last edited:
The Seekers part are individuals in most cases. It doesn't need to be removed, it can be ignored. What I do not get is how you're questioning that, if I already told you that Seekers wasn't necessary because of that it doesn't need to be removed.

Plus, we still need to see what the others think of implementing it. As for the fallacy I called, you're creating a false dilemma of why I used the scans trying to pry it to the other as if I solidify that it should be used.
Huh? Poisoning the well is when someone attacks someone else in attempt to discredit their arguments before they’re made. I didn’t do any of that. You were already begging for the creator owned comic to be included in the scaling and I responded saying that it wouldn’t be fair since we generally don’t treat creator owned comics that way.

Matteis has said his “God” is not a comic book character but he sees it as the ultimate power. Both stories defined him as that and I very much would love it, if we merged all his stories since this is definitely his cosmology not just for DCU.

Huh? Poisoning the well is when someone attacks someone else in attempt to discredit their arguments before they’re made. I didn’t do any of that. You were already begging for the creator owned comic to be included in the scaling and I responded saying that it wouldn’t be fair since we generally don’t treat creator owned comics that way.
“Begging” when you quoted something as to why using his creator-owned comics can work. Especially how similar they are, what I suggest is that we can do, I have no problem if we do not use it. You can see how you deliberately misconstrued everything I said.

You have a habit of making things not said by people. I recommend you actually read for context.

“Begging” when you quoted something as to why using his creator-owned comics can work. Especially how similar they are, what I suggest is that we can do, I have no problem if we do not use it. You can see how you deliberately misconstrued everything I said.

You have a habit of making things not said by people. I recommend you actually read for context.
Your reason was “Dematteis said his “God” is not a comic book character”, followed up with “I very much would love it, if we merged all his stories”…

Ignoring the problems with your “reasons”, I don’t think you understand that I don’t care if you can support what you’re saying without Seekers into Mystery. I only had a problem with trying to make an exception for creator owned stories just so you could incorporate Dematteis’s creator owned stuff into your scan/evidence pool, as I don’t think that would be fair. Personally from reading Dematteis stuff, I believe Dematteis’s DCU stories can present a much higher scaling than what you’ve presented, however I’m just gonna let that be.

Your reason was “Dematteis said his “God” is not a comic book character”, followed up with “I very much would love it, if we merged all his stories”…
All that illudes to begging apparently.
Ignoring the problems with your “reasons”, I don’t think you understand that I don’t care if you can support what you’re saying without Seekers into Mystery. I only had a problem with trying to make an exception for creator owned stories just so you could incorporate Dematteis’s creator owned stuff into your scan/evidence pool, as I don’t think that would be fair. Personally from reading Dematteis stuff, I believe Dematteis’s DCU stories can present a much higher scaling than what you’ve presented, however I’m just gonna let that be.
Exactly what's the problem? We don't use creator-owned, I was asking if we can do it. Like I said, it's not a problem if we don't.

I am not in agreement with high 1-B. I think the evidence for infinite QS layers is not well substantiated by evidence I've seen, and would prefer the argument for it be provided more specifically (as in, not a needle in a haystack of a massive revision) with more staff input before we upgrade the cosmology by infinite infinities.

He doesn't write his own universe separate from DC comics, so it shouldn't work that way. Authors, even within the same universe, make mistakes in the canon, but this does not make the work incomplete.
That’s not the point. Yes, he writes within the DC Universe but how he structures his Cosmology and writes is different from mainline DC. We don’t see beings like Pralaya or God or the Dream Theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back