• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
8170369-97fb5122-b9e5-4c09-88fc-515265f13994.jpeg

Is Superman’s message, morality and symbol still relevant to are current day in age or is he an outdated product of a bygone era?

This is a tough one ngl and imo this as tough as it is because of how popular injustice is and how it's ruined a lot of public perception of Superman and made a lot of really casual general people feel like superman is always on an edge and that he's only kept in check by Lois lane and would otherwise be evil

Also the fact that the evil Superman archetype had along with Injustice had become wildly popular with shows like The Boys and Invincible taking audiences by storm

I actually had to at one point convince some friends IRL that Superman isn't like that and express my gripes with Injustice and it's effect on superman's public perception. To me that's pretty painful and I genuinely hate that there's a ton of people out there who're unable to today see him in a overall hopeful light and not cynically, these aren't people who've sat down and watched Smallville over and over or watched Superman and Lois more recently even, hell they can't sometimes even see the hope In Cavil's Superman

For me personally I'd say his core morality and message still stands with myself and is unshakable even in more grounded takes like Earth One Superman(personally I own a copy of it and love it)

Personally I still think Clark and his message is very relevant especially know in today’s era with there being arguably more cynicism and pessimism around
Right let me rephrase sorta I wholly agree with you that his message is relevant probably more than ever but the amount of people who miss his message and who he is as a person is still pretty strikingly high and that's the part that upsets me

Right let me rephrase sorta I wholly agree with you that his message is relevant probably more than ever but the amount of people who miss his message and who he is as a person is still pretty strikingly high and that's the part that upsets me
Hopefully that we’ll change, we seem to be getting some better Superman content with the new dcamu and possibly the new Superman show coming up

Hopefully that we’ll change, we seem to be getting some better Superman content with the new dcamu and possibly the new Superman show coming up
Yeah I think Superman and Lois was a great start and as well Man of Tomorrow those at least show me that the message is still there and has a chance at being received and enjoyed today

I personally don't think Supermans values will ever become irrelevant, but like Dalesean said it really sucks that for what feels like the past ten years he's been written off as a boring character or made out to be evil, I personally love characters who completely represent all that's good (Superman, Captain America, Goku, etc.) and I find them really compelling because they're usually put in environments that are very gray or even corrupt in their morality and values. It's ironic that writers in an attempt to make characters like Superman more """"""""""""""deep"""""""""""""" and """"""""""""""complex"""""""""""""" either completely warp the characters values or just make them evil, even though them just being good and kind is miles more interesting than that.

I personally don't think Supermans values will ever become irrelevant, but like Dalesean said it really sucks that for what feels like the past ten years he's been written off as a boring character or made out to be evil, I personally love characters who completely represent all that's good (Superman, Captain America, Goku, etc.) and I find them really compelling because they're usually put in environments that are very gray or even corrupt in their morality and values. It's ironic that writers in an attempt to make characters like Superman more """"""""""""""deep"""""""""""""" and """"""""""""""complex"""""""""""""" either completely warp the characters values or just make them evil, even though them just being good and kind is miles more interesting than that.
Literally this Goku is one my all time top favorite characters in fiction period he doesn't need to have these edgy plot lines some people want and doesn't need to be shown in some really cynical way to make him interesting hell he's always been really interesting his goodness and purity at heart makes is literally the reason most people fell for his character aside from him being a man of action and cool animation

Literally this Goku is one my all time top favorite characters in fiction period he doesn't need to have these edgy plot lines some people want and doesn't need to be shown in some really cynical way to make him interesting hell he's always been really interesting his goodness and purity at heart makes is literally the reason most people fell for his character aside from him being a man of action and cool animation
exactly (hoping if a zack snyder dbz movie actually happens it doesnt cause extreme damage to the preception of the series lmao)

I like the idea of the twisted Superman in Injustice (I can't comment on the ideas it's created such as Brightburn and the Boys since I haven't watched them) but it has made me appreciate the true hero more so. After progressing through the first game, I get a giddy feeling seeing how kind, heroic and awesome the proper Superman just is. To me, Superman represents the perfect superhero and if the world could ever have one superhero, I would choose Superman every time.

Also what do you mean by this?

……. didn’t Goku give a villain a senzu bean so they could keep fighting? Definitely pure but it ain’t goodness lol
It only happened once a mistake that only happened with cell and while he did give Moro a senzu it literally didn't matter and was within a wholly different context Goku literally made Moro fold himself right after and opposed to the situation with cell was in complete control all aside from outside help that Moro got which no one could have seen

Edit: also goodness is subjective Goku might not be a hero of justice by that point of the story but he's generally a good guy so saying goodness does fit

But is willingly giving your opponent a full restore just “a mistake”? It’s definitely a mistake but more akin to “bruh, you just goofed so hard” rather than a “whoops, my bad”.

It only happened once a mistake that only happened with cell and while he did give Moro a senzu it literally didn't matter and was within a wholly different context Goku literally made Moro fold himself right after and opposed to the situation with cell was in complete control all aside from outside help that Moro got which no one could have seen

Edit: also goodness is subjective Goku might not be a hero of justice by that point of the story but he's generally a good guy so saying goodness does fit
I mean he kinda should have since in the fireza saga he gave this whole speech

I mean he kinda should have since in the fireza saga he gave this whole speech

Old english dub was played up to make Goku sound more heroic the actual speech wasn't really that at all no protector of the innocent talk
But is willingly giving your opponent a full restore just “a mistake”? It’s definitely a mistake but more akin to “bruh, you just goofed so hard” rather than a “whoops, my bad”.
Also yes it was a mistake something he shouldn't have done and definitely a stupid choice he made without full grasp on understanding his own son but a mistake nonetheless

Old english dub was played up to make Goku sound more heroic the actual speech wasn't really that at all no protector of the innocent talk

Also yes it was a mistake something he shouldn't have done and definitely a stupid choice he made without full grasp on understanding his own son but a mistake nonetheless
Damm, so it’s non cannon?

Okay but why is the sky green? Is just that way in DBZ or is there an explanation for it becoming green?
They were on a different planet during that time and there's a lot that's clearly misunderstood about Goku and his arc's by y'all im seeing

Edit: yes it's non canon

What Dale said, im so influenced by nowaday supes it was actually a headscratcher for me iirc years ago a scene where superman successfully convinced a suicidal/depressed victim not to jump off a building the major theme was hope the victim cried and they hugged it out.

It reminds me of spiderman helping old people cross the road to a lesser degree.

What Dale said, im so influenced by nowaday supes it was actually a headscratcher for me iirc years ago a scene where superman successfully convinced a suicidal/depressed victim not to jump off a building the major theme was hope the victim cried and they hugged it out.

It reminds me of spiderman helping old people cross the road to a lesser degree.
Right it kinda takes me back to the run of Thor: God Of thunder in Issue 12 where you see the best sides of Thor as he goes around Earth just helping people no big fights no cosmic threats none of that he just hangs out with some kids, meditates with a monk, help nuns with thier gardens, and even stays with a man in his final moments when he's about to be executed, seeing acts of good like that shit hits home and you always see it with Superman or Spider-Man it's kinda why they're so popular hell same with Batman everyone knows the scene with Ace but things like that are often looked over for darker stories that sometimes don't even have these people who are heroes be actual people and give a damn about regular people

I rarely read comics basically less then i could count and its about to really show has anyone read superior spiderman, as the younger edgelord i actually thought the dark ending was the best thing i've ever read Period, until i decided to reminisce years later and realised it had more issues and it actually ended in the typical cliche good ending ffs.

I rarely read comics basically less then i could count and its about to really show has anyone read superior spiderman, as the younger edgelord i actually thought the dark ending was the best thing i've ever read Period, until i decided to reminisce years later and realised it had more issues and it actually ended in the typical cliche good ending ffs.
I haven't actually read superior spiderman but I honestly have wanted to for a long time but that aside what's even considered ad being someone whose read lots of comics I've went through entire runs of many comics but I don't consider myself knowledgeable by any means even though I've read a decent amount of marvel and DC

Also it's criminal we're talking about this kind of message and we haven't mentioned Barry Allen this dude lives that message and hope and still continues for me at least to be at the top battling for my favorite DC comic character aside from Superman

Not sure why this has derailed into a Goku thread somewhat but no, his message is no more irrelevant than any other message about hope and justice. In truth, it's a message that's been passed down for generations long before Superman even existed, said by many who wish for a truly fair, just world.

Will it ever happen? Who knows? But we keep trying, we want to get there.

Superman at his best, even from the very beginning, has been a symbol representing change for the better, to those who needed an insurmountable guardian with good morals or a beacon of hope to those who kept on fighting a hopeless battle (this was one of the cases for Superman/Batman/Phantom comics being dropped on or brought to soldiers during WWII, however without falling down the same pit as Captain America since Supes is very much still a global hero, he's not strictly 'murican and his message works no matter where you're from).

This message and this symbol have predated Superman for a long, long time, maybe ever since we created deities in the search of hope and systems were created to enact justice. And yet it's endured, telling us that it'll forever be relevant (because if those in our past beared it in mind, and the present hasn't forgotten it, those in the future will no doubt keep on telling it), and in our current times we see it in the form of Superman, who is by all intents and purposes one of the modern mythological hero equivalents and most iconic figures in fiction, as one of the biggest names in pop culture. Everyone on this planet knows who Superman is, they know he stands for good and justice, and not necessarily the 'murican way. Is the message convincing and relevant to all of these people? I mean, why wouldn't it be? There is nothing irrelevant about this message.

If it was relevant thousands of years ago and despite how much we've changed and evolved it's still being talked about today... it's not an irrelevant symbol of a bygone era, it's as eternal and as enduring as it gets.

Back