• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Instant Death Downgrade

hello. I think the sea should be downgraded.

I'll summarize the rationale I presented in the other thread in this one.

I would like to say that the sea is not a world with infinite space. The original text does not say "infinite".

世界は天蓋によって〝海〟と呼ばれる無窮の空間と隔てられているのだが、天蓋が壊れたなら世界は簡単に崩壊する。世界は脆弱であり〝海〟の環境には耐えられないのだ。

The original text reads "無窮".

It is not "無限", but "無窮".

The meaning of 無窮 is as follows.

無窮 mean : time that never ends or that has no limits

In other words, the sea is not an "infinite space", but a "space where time flows forever".

Next, I'll summarize what I heard from a Japanese-speaking acquaintance.

I'll detail the answer to a question I asked an acquaintance.

A dictionary written in Japanese says that "無窮" is not infinite.

According to Wikipedia, this Japanese dictionary is very authoritative. It was professionally organized by a Japanese newspaper.

"無窮" is just a synonym for "無限 (infinite)",

it is not exactly the same as "無限 (infinite)".

類語 永久・永遠・とわ・永世・常しえ・常しなえ・恒久・悠久・悠遠・長久・経常・不変・常磐・永劫・永代・久遠・無限・不朽・万代不易・万世不易・万古不易・千古不易・久しい・久しぶり・久方ぶり・久久・しばらくぶり

These are Japanese words that are synonyms for the word "無限 (infinite)".

We use just as we don't equate 'eternity' with 'infinity', we don't equate all of these synonyms with '無限 (infinite)'.

So, 無窮 is not infinite.

He also said that 無窮 and '無限 (infinite)' have different meanings in chatgpt.

Therefore, I argue that we should downgrade our assessment of the sea.

yeah found it , upto three
Was there such a rule?
also saw this just below there. wasn't this thread topic from mid-discussion of another thread
  • Do not add new topics to existing content revision threads mid-discussion unless they are closely intertwined issues that discussion can settle on the spot, as doing so clutters threads and makes evaluation difficult.

cause I am seeing a lot for yogurt boy
Yogurt's downgrade streak shall be endless, no number can count it.
@karo_senpaii @Astral_Trinity439
For some reason, I wasn't pinged...

I would like to say that the sea is not a world with infinite space. The original text does not say "infinite".

In other words, the sea is not an "infinite space", but a "space where time flows forever".

According to Wikipedia, this Japanese dictionary is very authoritative. It was professionally organized by a Japanese newspaper.

類語 永久・永遠・とわ・永世・常しえ・常しなえ・恒久・悠久・悠遠・長久・経常・不変・常磐・永劫・永代・久遠・無限・不朽・万代不易・万世不易・万古不易・千古不易・久しい・久しぶり・久方ぶり・久久・しばらくぶり

We use just as we don't equate 'eternity' with 'infinity', we don't equate all of these synonyms with '無限 (infinite)'.

So, 無窮 is not infinite.

You're limiting the translations to overly specific notions. The term used is "無窮", which can mean three things:
  • Eternity
  • Immortality
  • Infinitude
yFfcGle.png

In this case, it would be the latter most since its in context to "Space".

Additionally, the literal wikipedia page explains it as Infinity in the mathematical sense as well.

So, 無窮 is not infinite.

I mean there's a reason why it's only 1-B and one of them is this. So yeah, this is not necessarily a downgrade. I'd prefer to wait for Tier 2 stuff for Instant Death tbh

Yogurt's downgrade streak shall be endless, no number can count it.

For some reason, I wasn't pinged...

You're limiting the translations to overly specific notions. The term used is "無窮", which can mean three things:
  • Eternity
  • Immortality
  • Infinitude
yFfcGle.png

In this case, it would be the latter most since its in context to "Space".

Additionally, the literal wikipedia page explains it as Infinity in the mathematical sense as well.

Okay, so I'm back to talking to my Japanese-speaking acquaintance, and I think you're right that it can have two meanings.

However, Google Translate sometimes translates incorrectly, so I don't think it's a good method to use as a basis.

I mean there's a reason why it's only 1-B and one of them is this. So yeah, this is not necessarily a downgrade. I'd prefer to wait for Tier 2 stuff for Instant Death tbh
I wasn't trying to downgrade Instant Death from 1-B, I was simply trying to downgrade the sea.

Okay, so I'm back to talking to my Japanese-speaking acquaintance, and I think you're right that it can have two meanings.

However, Google Translate sometimes translates incorrectly, so I don't think it's a good method to use as a basis.
I'm not using Google translator. For the first pic, I'm using DeepL's dictionary, and for the link, well, its wikipedia

Back