• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important announcement. Fandom and the Internet is in danger.

So as an American I can basically twiddle my thumbs and let people know.

All of you in the EU, for the love of whatever you believe in, call some people. Make noise. Make good points as to why this is a damned stupid way of censoring your people.

I never said that I'm at an advantage just because I'm an American, I know this shit can lead to worse shit. No need to derail the argument, it was just an honest question.

I've been keeping up with this topic, so I appreciate the new sources, even though I don't have as much influence in the matter as EU residents do. Or rather, "should"; it's nothing new that the EU has harmed sovereignty of individual nations, much more so on a smaller level. The web is just one of many venues under siege by them and likeminded powers.

I'll be sure to look at the links in the OP; not much I can do but spread awareness, but that's an important role in itself. Quick question, though; has there been any word on whether the regulations have a retroactive effect? In that, say, I violate the rule by posting a meme several years ago and therefore must suffer penalty?

I feel like posting one of those facepalm reaction images I use, but I don't think any of them would truly convey just how much this makes me want to dent a wall.

Authoritarianism is terrible on both the right and the left.

While the pessimist in me doesn't see the situation improving for the EU without outright abolishing it, keep in mind one third of the parliament aren't total jerkwads. Keep the fight up, and try to turn one out of three to one out of two plus one.

Read this post said:
Im pretty sire the nn thing is still actually going. Plus not all politicians are entirely greedy. Many of them are probably not familiar enough with the consequences of this. Personally im not much of a great talker and probably wouldnt persuade anyone. However you can always inform someone who is better at it and get them to persuade them. If everyone with internet connection was well informed about this then this can easily be stopped.
Net neutrality has already been repealed, but IIRC the FCC is in a battle with states and the DOJ sueing California after the state passed it's own net neutrality laws.

Tincan123 said:
I tought this site was for freemdom of free speech so why was my reply removed ?
It got too off-topic political. We made an exception for the topic of this thread, due to that it may directly affect the wiki, but generally speaking, people of lots of different nationalities, cultures, and politics come to this wiki, so if we openly talked about our true political and ideological beliefs, everybody would end up constantly fighting with each other instead of getting anything done in peaceful collaboration.

And yes, I am aware of that I have had problems shutting up in the past as well, but I am trying to get much better in that regard.

Apatheticskell said:
Does this mean this wiki is in danger?
As I posted earlier, here is the reply that I received from Fandom regarding what would happen to this and other wikis:

"Thanks for contacting FANDOM.

It's certainly concerning, but I wouldn't be too worried. There is a lot of room before any final implementation is adopted, and we don't know what the final form will actually look like yet. We'll be monitoring the situation and seek to strike the best balance between supporting our communities and complying with applicable law."

-BANLK- said:
Ummmmmmm will **** get banned? This sounds like a serious issue.
Copyrighted **** will presumably get more strictly regulated to remain legal.

Personally, obviously this is hugely concerning.

However, something Ant said earlier gave me hope. Well, not something he said, rather something he posted.

The fact that the Premier League and La Liga don't accept it is a huge blow to those supporting it. Sure England won't be part of the EU soon, but the overall support for some of the bigger teams across Europe is a devastating blow to those supporting Article 13. I mean, the PL is huge no matter where you are. Not to mention La Liga which has some of the greatest players in the planet like Messi and Bale there.. It would be a huge issue for these two to together to disagree on this on this article for those supporting it.

This is just another internet censorship attempt under a different name and with different definitions and applications, but the endgame is the same. Internet censorship. SOPA, PIPA, Net Neutrality, Article 13, whatever they call it, it's all part of the "Plan to Control the Worldwide Web". Each time it rises, just keep kick it back down until eventually it can't get back up, no matter how many names it takes upon itself.

No matter what they say, no matter how helpful they might make it sound, do not trust them. They do not care about your internet privileges. They care only about stuffing their own pockets and controlling the most powerful platform on this planet, the internet, is definitely a quick way to do it.

It still amazes me to no end how seemingly well-intentioned musicians rallied behind this garbage. I'm thinking there might have been some external pressure from record companies but that's just my personal theory.

It can be, as it allows the wealthy elite to influence what can and cannot be viewed, should they so desire.

Slightly off-topic, but this deserves to be said. The problems that the repeal of net neutrality could lead to (corporate collusion and all that) are actually covered by long-existing antitrust laws. What all that fuss over the last few years ago has been about wasn't really the loss of "net neutrality"; it was Congress repealing legislation that allowed the government to regulate the Internet.

It was actually good of them to repeal "net neutrality" in this case, because, again, the old antitrust laws covered the situation as needed, and giving the government power to regulate the internet like that is actually what MegaConglomCorp (TM) or whoever wants. Twiter, Facebook, Google, and such were in support of giving the federal government the power to regulate in this way, because doing so would give them an advantage by sending your local congressman a few stacks of greenbacks in order to bend the rules to their advantage. Important takeaway here: it isn't "unfettered captialism" that's the problem so much as it is a government with the power to mess with the odds and play favorites. If the EU government didn't have the power to regulate their Internet, they couldn't pull this nonsense with A13.

Unfortunately, the problem is seldom that there aren't good laws (like the antitrust ones) on the books; it's that the laws are not being enforced as they should be. Ignoring the existence of pre-existing laws, politicians say "We need more laws!" and proceed to make the law code so gargantuan that no ordinary man could understand it, only those who already have influence.

I agree with VenomElite, but have far lesser trust in that the people supporting this censorship of the freedom of speech have any good intentions whatsoever for the public at large. Virtually all major mainstream news organisations were openly in favour of this for example, but obviously did not report the fact.

Then again, I am rather paranoid in general.

Obviously there is.

Poland's already backed out, we only need more countries to agree to this. The big corporations are already in league against the EU for this.

The problem is that the news media, artists, and authors are mostly for this legislation, freedom of speech be damned. That makes it hard to get the information out to the wider public.

In addition, it would favour big corporations such as Youtube, who can at least afford to create content filters, over smaller startups, that can not, which potentially creates even stronger monopolies than currently.

It would, had YouTube not refused EU's legislation altogether. The news media, artists and authors can only do so much against the sheer backlash they could potentially face. This could seriously devolve into senseless violence down the line, so it's best we do the heavy lifting at this moment and keep it up until more and more people keep joining.

At this rate, every single country will start to opt out of the EU, much like the UK.

Back