• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important announcement. Fandom and the Internet is in danger.

For whoever is interested:

Article 13

Use of protected content by information society service providers storing and giving access to large amounts of works and other subject-matter uploaded by their users

1. Information society service providers that store and provide to the public access to large amounts of works or other subject-matter uploaded by their users shall, in cooperation with rightholders, take measures to ensure the functioning of agreements concluded with rightholders for the use of their works or other subject-matter or to prevent the availability on their services of works or other subject-matter identified by rightholders through the cooperation with the service providers. Those measures, such as the use of effective content recognition technologies, shall be appropriate and proportionate. The service providers shall provide rightholders with adequate information on the functioning and the deployment of the measures, as well as, whenrelevant, adequate reporting on the recognition and use of the works and other subject-matter.

2. Member States shall ensure that the service providers referred to in paragraph 1 put in place complaints and redress mechanisms that are available to users in case of disputes over the application of the measures referred to in paragraph 1.

3. Member States shall facilitate, where appropriate, the cooperation between the information society service providers and rightholders through stakeholder dialogues to define best practices, such as appropriate and proportionate content recognition technologies, taking into account, among others, the nature of the services, the availability of the technologies and their effectiveness in light of technological developments.

Source

Anyways, just keep making memes, contact your nearest politician, and keep shouting so that your internet may remain free.

Gemmysaur said:
Something something freedom of speech.
Ironically this thread doesn't have it.

KLOL506 said:
And of course, make memes.
Without memes, the people won't be aware of the EU's bullcrap.

Not joking, BTW.
I tried but it got deleted.

This is not a joke Article 13 already exist in Vs Battle Wiki.

Before anybody posts further. Do not just spam this thread with pointless memes and jokes. Fill this with any important information you can, relevant discussion and important questions and answers. If you want to post memes, post it everywhere else. Making jokes on one thread about the topic wont spread the word. Posting memes and announcements on other social media and on a widespread scale will help solve this.
AppleLord. ^^^

@Cal

You can use the links in the first post if you wish.

@Cal Any image you post has to be entirely made by you. So me posting an where mario appears in the background would get taken down.

Also matpat explains it quite simply

Read this post said:
Before anybody posts further. Do not just spam this thread with pointless memes and jokes. Fill this with any important information you can, relevant discussion and important questions and answers. If you want to post memes, post it everywhere else. Making jokes on one thread about the topic wont spread the word. Posting memes and announcements on other social media and on a widespread scale will help solve this.
AppleLord. ^^^
I may have read to fast through the thread; that I missed that bit of info. My apologies.

Also @OP I'd appreciate if you could add the actual article alongside the source in a spoiler tag. For those who want to read the real thing and not interpretations or secondary sources.

Pretty sure that even if this does pass, there'll be illegal ways to post memes. Remember Prohibition?

Kepekley23 said:
You guys really underestimate how powerful public outcry gets when you take off a favored toy.
The EU is better than this not to pull that random BS against people like us & everyone else who are on our side.

Kepekley23 said:
You guys really underestimate how powerful public outcry gets when you take off a favored toy.
Oh boy, don't even start, Kep.

I don't know what to say here. I agree with spreading the word about this. It is true that various politicians function in a way that values money above all else; but those people don't deserve to have any sort of authority.

Spread the word to the entire world, if you live in Europe, talk to your authorities that this is not what the people want. Article 13 is a saving grace; we especially need Fandom to remain free and open.

It's alright guys I just feel mad I'm so insignificant I can't do anything on my own, since I live in EU

@Konaguna

For what if is worth, I also feel extremely frustrated by everything going wrong in the world, including this.

what's that gonna do? Look at the NN in USA. all it takes is some bribe and words of thousands mean nothing

A few states have outright refused to remove NN altogether.

I agree with Rtp. We have to try. Giving up only helps our enemies.

Dunno why my previous comment was deleted, but I guess because it was thought to be out of context. Anyways, this is honestly a huge dilemma that I wish more people are aware of. Unfortunately, I honestly think too many people are just too hesitant to act or really don't care at all. We would need to grab a lot of support not just from the common people, but from notable public figures as well.

Just because our numbers are low doesn't mean we stop there. The crowd itself is now a powder keg, and lighting the fuse in the wrong ways can end very badly.

Im pretty sire the nn thing is still actually going. Plus not all politicians are entirely greedy. Many of them are probably not familiar enough with the consequences of this. Personally im not much of a great talker and probably wouldnt persuade anyone. However you can always inform someone who is better at it and get them to persuade them. If everyone with internet connection was well informed about this then this can easily be stopped.

since 2018, a shit ton of dramatic bullshit has started 'me too' movements and stuff and now this.....hopefully 2019 will be different but im not counting on it.

Not that it really matters, I've just been curious, does this ban only affect the aformentioned European Countries?

It sucks either way, I've just been curious as to how serious this is.

Back