• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: A project to replace all Discord images in our regular wiki pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. You and the others who help out with this project are all awesome.

I've lowered it down to 4000 this morning.

Going to see if I can get it down to around 3500 once I've finished the Final Fantasy pages this afternoon.

Thank you very much for all of your help. You are still awesome.

Does anybody have some news regarding how this project is proceeding?

Slowly but it goes. In weekend, i can do more as I have acces to my pc unlike the working days when not that much. While my prefered method of uploading is Imgur, I have problems with it as after loading 10 - 15 images, I can't add another one for 30-60 minutes thus is slow.

Elizhaa also is going at a steady peace so I would say if no one comes to help with the scans then around the end of the month this would be finished.

Okay. Thanks a lot for helping out.

I received some replies:

"It is unlikely we'll be able to update Special:LinkSearch ourselves, since it appears to be a core MediaWiki - those are generally best handled by Wikimedia. You might want to suggest adding a namespace selector on the Wikimedia Phabricator?"

"Wikimedia Phabricator is where core MediaWiki development occurs:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ "

"I had a check, and it looks like a namespace selector is already on their to do list:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T12593

It hasn't seen activity for a while unfortunately, but the situation could certainly change in the future."
Also, is somebody here willing and able to contact Wikimedia Phabricator about this please?

Well, I can say that at least Metroid is getting cleared of it, PMMM will take a while longer.

Is there a point in time where the wiki must completely remove them or is this more of a gradual process?

I have updated a few scans for Xenoblade, and there probably are more, but I asked some other Xenoblade supporters for assistance as the powers and abilities section admittedly look like mouthfuls and was difficult to keep track. But I could recheck them later if no one else hasn't first.

I managed to clear some more Archie profiles of Discord links, though admittedly I haven’t been able to tackle all the massive powers and abilities sections yet.

If i were to just screenshot scans (that are already screenshots obv) using gyazo, would that be fine? The quality would be slightly lower im assuming.

Well, I can say that at least Metroid is getting cleared of it, PMMM will take a while longer.

Is there a point in time where the wiki must completely remove them or is this more of a gradual process?
Well, it would be good if all of the Discord-hosted images in our regular wiki pages and calculation or information blogs would be replaced in the coming few months at least, as we need to finish old important wiki revision projects in order to be able to start with new necessary important wiki revision projects.
If i were to just screenshot scans (that are already screenshots obv) using gyazo, would that be fine? The quality would be slightly lower im assuming.
Well, it is better if you just save the images in the normal manner, and then upload them to Gyazo, instead.

Updated a few more Final Fantasy pages. Will try to do some more later today and should be able to clear a hundred links or so.

Archie Comics still looks like it has the most pages with Discord links remaining, especially some of the bigger pages.

Yeah, Archie are like that because I assume when the CRTs were done in the past to revision them - they were created in a Discord server.

Thank you very much to everybody who are helping out with this.

I would like to add to the topic updating comicvine image links as the format has changed. I'm not sure what links have already been removed due to believing they were broken. They can still be recovered.

Thank you. That would be very appreciated as well.

Are you willing to provide proper instructions for the others here please?

It seems like as if Comic Vine changed the URL of its image links and the image links for Comic Vine that are currently used on the Wiki need to be adjusted accordingly. The External links search function shows me that there are 5347 links like these though not all are going to be relevant like those that are on blogs or threads. I'm not sure what else I should think about this though.

If it isn't already an existing rule, I think at this point we should make an announcement that people should only use wiki-hosted images or imgur links from now on.

Makes things a fair bit more standardized and easier for us.

I didn't try to change anything regarding to comics profiles if the links were to comicvine as I knew that currently (including at that time) they are in an ever going CRT/Cleaning so I let others fix them (talking about the fact that the profiles have been either deleted since this thread started or that the profiles have been updated thanks to the supporters while the rest I don't think they've reached them yet) - as I'm not knowledgeable. Every image-link I changed was from its original to Imgur as I think it's the best hosting site (short links, able to upload multiple images on the same link anytime you want, change or even delete them to fix, add a title and text to each one).

If it isn't already an existing rule, I think at this point we should make an announcement that people should only use wiki-hosted images or imgur links from now on.

Makes things a fair bit more standardized and easier for us.
I suppose that seems sensible, but what about Gyazo, and are there any other very large/popular/longtime stable image hosting archives?

I didn't try to change anything regarding to comics profiles if the links were to comicvine as I knew that currently (including at that time) they are in an ever going CRT/Cleaning so I let others fix them (talking about the fact that the profiles have been either deleted since this thread started or that the profiles have been updated thanks to the supporters while the rest I don't think they've reached them yet) - as I'm not knowledgeable. Every image-link I changed was from its original to Imgur as I think it's the best hosting site (short links, able to upload multiple images on the same link anytime you want, change or even delete them to fix, add a title and text to each one).
Thank you very much for helping out. It is very appreciated.

I suppose that seems sensible, but what about Gyazo, and are there any other very large/popular/longtime stable image hosting archives?

If they appear to be stable and reliable, then sure. I don't really have a strong opinion on them one way or the other because admittedly I've only used imgur or wiki-hosted images in the past.

Gyazo seems to be okay (never used it) but people do post a lot of links on it cause once you download their software you can take a screenshot (I assume with a special command from keyboard) and it will automatically upload and give the link - if what I've read is right. Not sure if you can upload more than one photo within a single link. But what I don't like is that their links are made of 30 letter/number combinations unlike the one from Imgur which is made of just 7 letter/number combinations. While both don't bring any impact on the visual aspect part of the profiles...the code source one is a lot more affected as its 4 times longer which makes the profile from this perspective harder to work with when editing and the like.

Gyazo isn't a good option. I can't view any of my old captures as it requires premium.

If they appear to be stable and reliable, then sure. I don't really have a strong opinion on them one way or the other because admittedly I've only used imgur or wiki-hosted images in the past.
Okay. I would appreciate further input from the rest of you in this regard.

Gyazo isn't a good option. I can't view any of my old captures as it requires premium.
Okay. Thank you for the information.

So are there any legitimately viable alternatives to Imgur around?

Looked again through the profiles left and seems most are from Final Fantasy (especially this series), and Sonic, while the rest of the series are around 10 or less for each. I think several supporters should be pinged for these 2 to help with the fixing as some links don't work and since it's discord those that aren't knowledgeable with the series won't know where to find the scans. Example: Ernejak - I've fixed his links but 1 (second from Forcefield power) doesn't work.

Looked again through the profiles left and seems most are from Final Fantasy (especially this series), and Sonic, while the rest of the series are around 10 or less for each. I think several supporters should be pinged for these 2 to help with the fixing as some links don't work and since it's discord those that aren't knowledgeable with the series won't know where to find the scans. Example: Ernejak - I've fixed his links but 1 (second from Forcefield power) doesn't work.
@XXKINGXX69 @HST_Master @Yomi_Schwarz @Sans2345 @Theglassman12 @Problemexe @The_Element_Kirbies @Mariogoods

Your help with replacing the Discord image links in our Final Fantasy pages would be very appreciated.

@HST_Master @Elizhaa @Matthew_Schroeder @MarvelFanatic119 @SuperKamiNappa @Cropfist @Amelia_Lonelyheart @CrimsonStarFallen @Bobsican @DemonGodMitchAubin @Migue79 @ShadowWarrior1999 @Starter_Pack @Sans2345 @ShakeResounding @Theuser789 @HyperNepsy @BlastX @ElixirBlue @James_Plays_4_Games @Gilad_Hyperstar @The_Smashor @The_Element_Kirbies @Starbrand_Fan @Fastestthingalive50 @Gabs22_Gamer @Kirbonic_Pikmin

Your help with replacing the Discord image links in our Sonic pages would be very appreciated.

Your help with replacing the Discord image links in our Sonic pages would be very appreciated.
I was tackling a few profiles in my sandbox just earlier today, such as Sonic himself. It'll be slow if I go at it alone, but I'll make sure it gets done one way or another.

If anybody else wants to assist, just use the Sonic General Discussion thread to communicate that with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back