• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: A project to replace all Discord images in our regular wiki pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As I mentioned in the thread linked below a few months ago, Discord images extremely easily disappear, including if an old post is deleted or the chat room it was posted in is closed down, so, for safety reasons, we need to replace all links to them in our regular wiki pages with images uploaded to the wiki itself or Imgur instead.

We also decided to officially prohibit this practice via our Editing Rules page:

As you can see via the wiki page linked below, there are a lot of them at this point:

The vast majority are from our old forum posts or in user sandboxes, but nevertheless, it is still a lot of work that needs to get done.

As such, I would greatly appreciate if as many content moderators and further promoted content moderators as possible would be willing and able to help out with applying this project.

Here is the page that is best for uploading images to the wiki:

You should all always select the "fair use" licensing option when using it.

Last edited:
The vast majority are from our old forum posts or in user sandboxes, but nevertheless, it is still a lot of work that needs to get done.

I'm assuming those ones might as well be left alone and we focus on pages?

6350 links, huh...pretty large number. Never understand why you would use discord links but anyway, I will help when I can. Since it will be weekend I guess I can do several profiles.

6350 links, huh...pretty large number. Never understand why you would use discord links but anyway, I will help when I can. Since it will be weekend I guess I can do several profiles.
Thank you very much for the help.

As I mentioned earlier, at least only a rather small part of them lead to regular wiki pages, although it may be best if we update the relevant calculation blogs as well.

Cubari often uses Discord images.

I’ll help out where I can, but I’m not willing to use Imgur.
No problem. You can upload images to the wiki instead if you prefer. Or do you have something else in mind?

The wiki.

If you upload them to your message wall on the wikia, static images won’t get that annoying /revision thing that kills the links, but it also doesn’t seem to save them anywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know how that one works, I just don’t like having to link them as the file directory (that’s not correct term) on the wiki.

Doesn’t really matter, though, I’m fine with either and will start tomorrow.

Thank you very much for helping out. It is very appreciated.

Also, just a note that, as far as I am aware, only our administrators are able to edit all blog posts, not content moderators.

Also, just a note that, as far as I am aware, only our administrators are able to edit all blog posts, not content moderators.
Yeah... I will probably lend a hand in editing some blog posts in the near-future, once I've sorted through tidying the categories.

Also, how should we handle the image links that no longer lead anywhere? Remove them, investigate who originally added them, and then tell them to add links to the images again, but hosted in Imgur, Gyazoo, the wiki, or similar, instead?

Also, how should we handle the image links that no longer lead anywhere? Remove them, investigate who originally added them, and then tell them to add links to the images again, but hosted in Imgur, Gyazoo, the wiki, or similar, instead?
Simply remove them. I don't think it is realistic for us to track down every individual image that has been deleted.

Anyone can re-add the images in properly at a later time if they're required.

Okay. In the case of missing blog post images, I think that it should be simple enough to leave notes about this on the relevant message walls though.

Yes, I heard of this project. May contribute as I notice but will leave a message to know I have followed the thread.

Thank you for helping out.

Oof, I've used quite a few discord images. I'll work on removing them, but I'll first have to adapt to Imgur and other sources.

Is discord links the only one we should avoid or are there others as well?
Thank you.

I am not sure which image-hosting services that are safe to use in the long run, as Japanese companies have turned increasingly draconian regarding removing all such content from YouTube for example, including review shows that give them free advertisement, but Discord is definitely not reliable to use for image hosting long-term.

In the long run, nothing lasts forever on the internet unfortunately. Imgur itself may one day die. The safest place as far as images of the wiki should go is uploaded to Fandom itself since if Fandom goes down then the wiki goes down anyway.

Imgur should still be suitable and fine to use for now though.

Yes, I agree that Fandom seems like the safest place to upload the images to.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have repeatedly asked Fandom to fix this problem with the external links search function, but it seems like they have forgotten about it again.

Yes, I agree that Fandom seems like the safest place to upload the images to.
Doesn't Fandom have issues with copyright laws and stuff?

I try to add the Discord images to the wiki and replace them with imgur links otherwise if any exist whenever I can, but it's not like I can post every single picture to Fandom all the time due to fear of being blocked for the wrong reasons.

Doesn't Fandom have issues with copyright laws and stuff?

I try to add the Discord images to the wiki and replace them with imgur links otherwise if any exist whenever I can, but it's not like I can post every single picture to Fandom all the time due to fear of being blocked for the wrong reasons.
I am uncertain exactly where they draw the line, but think that single pages are probably fine, as long as you select the "fair use" option.

However, I would appreciate if others here can help with investigating what Fandom's official policies are in this regard.

I am uncertain exactly where they draw the line, but think that single pages are probably fine, as long as you select the "fair use" option.

However, I would appreciate if others here can help with investigating what Fandom's official policies are in this regard.
From a manga wiki editor standpoint, we generally avoid uploading entire pages with the original text on them with the exception of cover pages / illustrations.

So long as entire chapters aren't being uploaded here though, I think we can get away with people uploading a comicbook page but I still think it'd be safer to rely on an external site like imgur for that.

Single panels though should be safe to upload to Fandom.

From a manga wiki editor standpoint, we generally avoid uploading entire pages with the original text on them with the exception of cover pages / illustrations.

So long as entire chapters aren't being uploaded here though, I think we can get away with people uploading a comicbook page but I still think it'd be safer to rely on an external site like imgur for that.

Single panels though should be safe to upload to Fandom.
Okay. Thank you for the information. I suppose that we should use Imgur for entire comic book and manga pages then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back