• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: A project to replace all Discord images in our regular wiki pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's about 76 on just this profile and 24 here if anyone's willing to check those off (it's too late here).

Edit: Damn, 82 on this profile.

The Archie Sonic and MegaMan verses seem to use mostly discord links.

Last edited:
Yes. I need to highlight a news and announcements forum thread about that linking to Discord-hosted images is strictly forbidden.

So how are things progressing here?

There's about 76 on just this profile and 24 here if anyone's willing to check those off (it's too late here).

@Maverick_Zero_X @Gilad_Hyperstar @ShakeResounding

Would you be willing to assemble a team of Sonic and Mega Man fans among our members who collectively make an effort to clean up the pages for these verses in this regard please?

All of the ones who are willing to help out need to mention it here first though.

So how are things progressing here?
A lot of pages have been updated.

Final Fantasy pages and some Wuxia pages remain to be big offenders of this.

I've sent a message to Planck to see if he can clear up the Wuxia pages of Discord links.

If someone is familiar with Final Fantasy pages, I'd appreciate someone going through them.

The following have been updated:

Thank you very much for helping out.
Is there a way to sort by verse by any chance?
Unfortunately I do not think so. I have repeatedly told the Fandom staff that the external links search function shows the results in a disordered mess, and that they should be organised in a similar manner to the internal links search function, but they have kept telling me that they will hopefully get it done for quite a long time now.

Thank you very much for the help.

Everybody who are helping out here are awesome.

Would you be willing to assemble a team of Sonic and Mega Man fans among our members who collectively make an effort to clean up the pages for these verses in this regard please?

All of the ones who are willing to help out need to mention it here first though.

Given that you all liked my quoted post above, does that mean that you accept helping out with this?

Yes, thank you everyone. We're down to 5093 links now, but a large portion of those are old forum threads or sandboxes/blogs.

Yes, the vast majority are not pages that you need to focus on.

Thank you. That is very appreciated. As I said, feel free to recruit other reliable members to help out with replacing the Discord image links for Sonic and Mega Man pages.

Thank you. That is very appreciated.

So, I didn't do any page today but I did something better.

A Sandbox - I made a sandbox where I posted all the pages that have a discord link. I may have missed some (hopefully not). You can use it to choose pages that you want to replace the images/links and after you've finished it delete the link from the sandbox (since it's a sandbox anyone can edit it as long as you have an account on wiki).

Tldr: Chose what you want to edit from that Sandbox, delete the link after you're done and post here what pages you've edited so we can keep better evidence of what has been done.

So, I didn't do any page today but I did something better.

A Sandbox - I made a sandbox where I posted all the pages that have a discord link. I may have missed some (hopefully not). You can use it to choose pages that you want to replace the images/links and after you've finished it delete the link from the sandbox (since it's a sandbox anyone can edit it as long as you have an account on wiki).

Tldr: Chose what you want to edit from that Sandbox, delete the link after you're done and post here what pages you've edited so we can keep better evidence of what has been done.
That is really great. Thank you.

Everybody here, please follow Zaratthustra's instructions above.

No problem. I started making the sandbox a bit over an hour ago so not many profiles from there (if any at all) would have been edited since then thus likely anyone should be able to choose whatever they want (preferably some pages that they have knowledge on first but for those users with some experience shouldn't be a problem what they pick).

Okay. Thanks again. It was a very good initiative from you.

I did a few dozen at first, but I've been busy translating hundreds of images for a verse-wide revision.

I'll probably get back to this once that's done with.

No status update from me, but as a suggestion we could probably clear a few off the list by simply deleting links from examples like this: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Marcman2020/City_Level_Shantae(?)_(By_Strunton)

This is a calc blog from 2019, not used on any pages, with about 30 discord links of pixelscaling in there.

What we could do is simply delete those links, and this would not erase them for good because if (for whatever reason) the original calcer or someone else wanted to look at those images, they could view the history of the blog and see the links on the prior version.

Don't know how many there are like this example, but if they're for a blog that is not used on any pages it seems fine to me to delete the discord links.

I suppose that is a valid suggestion.

Also, I sent another request to Fandom for reorganising the wiki's external links search function in a similar manner to its internal links search function, so we can far more easily automatically sift search results.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks to all of you for helping out then.

I made updates to over two dozen pages from Zaratthustra's sandbox above and pages before its creation; I will periodically continue making when I have the time.

Thank you for the help. It is very appreciated.

Also, I sent another request to Fandom for reorganising the wiki's external links search function in a similar manner to its internal links search function, so we can far more easily automatically sift search results.
I received some replies:

"It is unlikely we'll be able to update Special:LinkSearch ourselves, since it appears to be a core MediaWiki - those are generally best handled by Wikimedia. You might want to suggest adding a namespace selector on the Wikimedia Phabricator?"

"Wikimedia Phabricator is where core MediaWiki development occurs:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ "

"I had a check, and it looks like a namespace selector is already on their to do list:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T12593

It hasn't seen activity for a while unfortunately, but the situation could certainly change in the future."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back