• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How should we handle pages that discuss extremely sensitive topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Non-staff, just offering idea/suggestions, can be deleted if unnecessary]

I have seen other wikis that have warnings, like this one for spoilers. Would it be a good idea to apply the same to pages with mature or extreme contents? Like a trigger warning of sorts so people could steer clear or be forewarned about a page's content.

I heard Joke Battles Wiki also has one, and Dr Manhattan for example does have a mature warning at the beginning of his page. Which admittedly, that can also be helpful for characters and/or verses who originate from Mature-rated verses (M-rated video games, TV-MA rated TV series, R-rated movies, ect). Especially if some of their feats comes from gory animations such as Mortal Kombat characters Class K lifting strength coming from Sub-Zero's spinal cord rip fatality.

I reworked the text for Bobsican's warning label draft. What do you all think?

Also, should we name it {{Mature Content}}, {{Graphic Content}}, {{Disturbing Content}}, or something else?

I can't think of any case where it'd be absolutely necessary to link overly disturbing imagery/videos. Though the idea of a warning in these rare cases seems fine. Personally I think the second sentence is superfluous, so just the first sentence on its own should be fine

I can't think of any case where it'd be absolutely necessary to link overly disturbing imagery/videos. Though the idea of a warning in these rare cases seems fine. Personally I think the second sentence is superfluous, so just the first sentence on its own should be fine
Okay. What about the following solution, to avoid repetition?

I think plain Mature Content works best.
Well, "Mature" can also mean "Emotionally and artistically sophisticated", and that doesn't exactly fit well with transgression, degradation, violation, and graphic sadistic butchery.

As such, I personally prefer {{Graphic Content}} or {{Disturbing Content}}.

Okay. Thank you for the feedback.

I think the FC/OC one is still slightly better, specifically in how the "this pages content has been marked as 18+" part is highlighted on its own.

What do you think of this one? Template. To me, it looks easier on the eye and will likely attract attention faster so people will know what to expect.

That's likely because you use the dark blue theme on the wiki and when selecting it will turn all white...but that can be modified by changing the hex color.

Ps. Added a second version.

Last edited:
What do you think of this one? Template. To me, it looks easier on the eye and will likely attract attention faster so people will know what to expect.
The top template draft looks very good to me in normal light viewing mode. Thank you for helping out.

However, as was mentioned earlier, it turns very hard to read in dark viewing mode, and we preferably need a format that works for both.

@Damage3245 @Elizhaa

I think that you are pretty good at wiki programming. Do either of you have a good solution?

First one works well in light mode, while I haven't tested the second one in the dark mode but it has the same hex color as the one you posted Ant. I'm currently on phone so I can't verify how the second looks on if selected but if anyone can do it would be nice or wait around 30-40 minutes and I will verify it myself and see if anything needs to be changed.

Okay. Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated.

I changed it, it should work on both themes now. The below images are from the Dark Mode wiki - first normal, second with selected text. If anyone who use Dark Mode can check would be neat so we could be sure it's not just me.

I changed it, it should work on both themes now. The below images are from the Dark Mode wiki - first normal, second with selected text. If anyone who use Dark Mode can check would be neat so we could be sure it's not just me.

Can confirm it's working on dark mode.

Can confirm it's working on dark mode.
Yes, it works.
The top template draft looks very good to me in normal light viewing mode. Thank you for helping out.

However, as was mentioned earlier, it turns very hard to read in dark viewing mode, and we preferably need a format that works for both.

@Damage3245 @Elizhaa

I think that you are pretty good at wiki programming. Do either of you have a good solution?
It seems Zaratthustra already handled it.

Thank you very much for helping out. It looks great in both light and dark mode now, yes.

I would much prefer if we use your upper warning template version that does not use all bolded text. It looks more professional to me.

Should we call the template {{Content Warning}} in order to keep its title short and neutral?

Also, we need to write an instruction text for using it, and place that in our Editing Rules page. It is possible that we need to place information somewhere else as well though.

Thank you very much for helping out. It looks great in both light and dark mode now, yes.

I would much prefer if we use your upper warning template version that does not use all bolded text. It looks more professional to me.

Should we call the template {{Content Warning}} in order to keep its title short and neutral?

Also, we need to write an instruction text for using it, and place that in our Editing Rules page. It is possible that we need to place information somewhere else as well though.
@Zaratthustra @Elizhaa @GyroNutz @DarkDragonMedeus @Damage3245 @Qawsedf234 @Andytrenom @SamanPatou @Armorchompy @DontTalkDT @Sir_Ovens

Bolded one stands out better and works better as a warning for that imo.

{{Mature}} is the name of the template used on FC/OC, I believe that would probably be concise and descript enough here as well.

As for usage, it's probably something better left to case by case. Different verses cover mature topics in a variety of different ways. Key to point though, some glance over mature topics while others may make those same mature topics a central part of the character or story.

To me completely bolded text still looks like unprofessional screaming that stands out too much.

{{Content Warning}} also seems more matter of fact specific as a title, whereas {{Mature}} is not factually accurate. Gore, degradation, and transgression within media are not somehow uniformly appreciated by people who are emotionally mature.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Further more indepth feedback would be appreciated though.

While I can see support for adding the template to every verse page whose media in question is mature content in itself, it'd also come as weird for verses that simply have a ton of works with variable age rating (Disney and Marvel Comics come to mind), and so it'd be best to use on case-by-case on profiles that are sensitive in themselves.

The not-bolded version looks good to me and and also Content Rating is also a good name.

While I can see support for adding the template to every verse page whose media in question is mature content in itself, it'd also come as weird for verses that simply have a ton of works with variable age rating (Disney and Marvel Comics come to mind), and so it'd be best to use on case-by-case on profiles that are sensitive in themselves.
Just slap this on pages that feature extreme violence or explicit sexual content, there's no need to put this on every verse whose characters get a nosebleed or show some cleavage.

I was more considering that we add it to individual character profile pages with disturbing image links or text depictions.

The not-bolded version looks good to me and and also Content Rating is also a good name.
Thank you. I personally prefer Content Warning though.
Just slap this on pages that feature extreme violence or explicit sexual content, there's no need to put this on every verse whose characters get a nosebleed or show some cleavage.
Yes, agreed.

Well, that is a start at least, but we also need to add instructions about it in our editing rules page, and possibly elsewhere as well.

Would somebody be willing to create Zaratthustra's accepted {{Content Warning}} template and properly admin-lock it afterwards please? I have very limited time available.

If the offending part would be central to describing aspects of character/verse/ability in great, specific detail, extraneous or not to the purpose of the page it should obviously I guess go there. But defining that in a manner that's perceptively sound on a person to person, region to region, or medium to medium basis is tough, especially when it comes to breaking down the offending topics portrayal within the story.

We've seen Superman in mature situations of course but thats not how the publisher intends for him to be universally seen as. We see Goku and Kenshiro kill people within their respective stories but does that mean they should be seen as on the same level in mature content, for the same reasons. Obviously not.

Overarching Relative Tone is what I'm getting at. Its the closest thing we have, but still it's something that'd better be done case by case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back