• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How should we handle pages that discuss extremely sensitive topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that was discussed before, we're just going for pages that actually feature proper significantly inappropiate content, rather than every verse that has any product intended for mature audiences, it'd be weird to have such label on the Disney verse page, for example.

What actually qualifies as inappropriate in the eyes of Fandom? Do we have a proper list of what they consider inappropriate?

I really don't get Fandom and their unnecessary stuff

I thought this was more of a safeguarding thing, in which case 'extremely sensitive topics' should be pretty self-evident.

We can make a trigger warning template maybe, and put them on relevant pages, that should help mitigate any potential harm to be caused on users, hell maybe a few even.

But yeah it is preferable if there exists an official FANDOM guideline so we can following it.

I think this is specifically about what is contained in the profile, in scans and the like
Yeah, that was discussed before, we're just going for pages that actually feature proper significantly inappropiate content, rather than every verse that has any product intended for mature audiences, it'd be weird to have such label on the Disney verse page, for example.
I thought this was more of a safeguarding thing, in which case 'extremely sensitive topics' should be pretty self-evident.
That is correct, yes. Thank you for helping out.

We can make a trigger warning template maybe, and put them on relevant pages, that should help mitigate any potential harm to be caused on users, hell maybe a few even.

But yeah it is preferable if there exists an official FANDOM guideline so we can following it.
Well, I am thinking mostly about our social responsibility to avoid that minors or sensitive people are subjected to graphic visual or narrative depictions of rape, torture, gore, or worse, such as nihilistic dystopian soul-defiling cosmic horror.

Regardless, it is still much preferable if we have a warning template, and an instruction text for roughly when to use it, available in the first place, so I would appreciate help with getting this applied in practice.

We can add in info about the use of Warning template in like, the Standard Format, and make an Editing Rule regarding it. It should be on the top of the page. Templates Wiki does have a pre-existing template for content warnings, if we can modify it abit to include a variable field describing what ssid content may have that may be offensive, it should all be good.
And maybe we can have two more templates for Sexually Suggestive Content and maybe an Epilepsy Warning? Regardless that should be fine.

in terms of our social responsibilities and stuff like that, I feel that's an immensely politicised topic, but my personal feelings lean towards the notion, for minors their parents should be more aware of what their kid sees, and for those sensitive they can read the disclaimer and judge for themselves.

We can add in info about the use of Warning template in like, the Standard Format, and make an Editing Rule regarding it. It should be on the top of the page. Templates Wiki does have a pre-existing template for content warnings, if we can modify it abit to include a variable field describing what ssid content may have that may be offensive, it should all be good.
I personally think that Zaratthustra's first template seems fine enough to use after I modified the text a bit to become more on-point and avoid repetition. We need to name it {{Content Warning}} though.

And maybe we can have two more templates for Sexually Suggestive Content and maybe an Epilepsy Warning? Regardless that should be fine.
I think that we can keep a single template for all potentially disturbing content, as above, to avoid that our procedures turn more complicated than necessary.
in terms of our social responsibilities and stuff like that, I feel that's an immensely politicised topic, but my personal feelings lean towards the notion, for minors their parents should be more aware of what their kid sees, and for those sensitive they can read the disclaimer and judge for themselves.
I think that it is extremely hard for parents to keep track of that their kids are not subjected to any harm online, and all I am suggesting is to inform our visitors beforehand about articles with potentially highly disturbing content. That is nothing out of the ordinary for larger wikis, and I think that it should be uncontroversial to apply.

I have created the template, but would still appreciate suggestions for a new Editing Rules regulation text that notifies our community about it.

We also have a template linked below that we extremely seldom seem to use, so we should preferably include information about that as well.

I have created the template, but would still appreciate suggestions for a new Editing Rules regulation text that notifies our community about it.

We also have a template linked below that we extremely seldom seem to use, so we should preferably include information about that as well.

@SamanPatou @Damage3245 @Armorchompy @Sir_Ovens @Bobsican @Andytrenom @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @JohnConquest1 @GyroNutz @DarkDragonMedeus @Zaratthustra @Confluctor @The_Impress

Does "If the profile contains or links to content that may be considered extreme, shocking or traumatizing, please add this template at the very top of the page." work?

Also, I added the template to quite a lot of wiki pages with previous non-standardised warning texts earlier today.

Does "If the profile contains or links to content that may be considered extreme, shocking or traumatizing, please add this template at the very top of the page." work?
Thank you for the reply. Maybe something like the following would work?

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions of, or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains serious spoilers for a recently released story from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."

That said I am not sure if the "that should not be viewed by those below 18 years of age" part should be on the template, I think that is a bit too specific, even games that are rated 18 can still be viewed by minors, it's just up to the parents (and their own) discretion

Thank you for the reply. Maybe something like the following would work?

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions of, images of, or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains serious spoilers for a recently released story from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."
maybe yeah. modified it a slight bit to include images

So is it fine if I add this Editing Rules text then?

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions and/or images of, and/or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains serious spoilers for a recently released story from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."

My question still is, what exactly is considered disturbing? For example, if gore is disturbing, then to what degree is it acceptable?

Gore is always disturbing to many people as far as I am aware.

It is hard to exactly quantify these things though, but it seems best to err on the side of caution.

In that case, I feel like this sort of warning should be put on practically every page then - well, the ones that actually have scans and/or description of some gorey stuff. And the amount pages that would need updating... Wayy too many.

Graphic murder or torture scenes are hardly linked to in nearly that many pages.

In that case, I feel like this sort of warning should be put on practically every page then - well, the ones that actually have scans and/or description of some gorey stuff. And the amount pages that would need updating... Wayy too many.
It actually depends on how violent the scans are, if it isn't violent enough, then I don't see any reason for it to have a content warning. But if it's really severe such as a guy literally getting his head bashed in graphically, then that's enough to warrant it.

My issue is, we need to have proper parameters for what is and isn't considered gorey and violent. What we might not consider violent or gorey can be too much for someone else.

See my question, again, is what is considered not violent enough? And who exactly... Well, judges that? Fandom? Us? Either way, there should be proper guidelines for it.

It actually depends on how violent the scans are, if it isn't violent enough, then I don't see any reason for it to have a content warning. But if it's really severe such as a guy literally getting his head bashed in graphically, then that's enough to warrant it.
Yes. Agreed.
My issue is, we need to have proper parameters for what is and isn't considered gorey and violent. What we might not consider violent or gorey can be too much for someone else.

See my question, again, is what is considered not violent enough? And who exactly... Well, judges that? Fandom? Us? Either way, there should be proper guidelines for it.
Well, I am obviously open for suggestions regarding how to word our new rule in a sufficiently precise manner.
Perhaps that could be based on the Acceptable content rating scale
That is just for sexual content though, not cosmic horror or graphic violence for example.

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions and/or images of, and/or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains serious spoilers for a recently released story from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."
I have no real issue with the proposed rules.
So is the initial draft fine, or does somebody have ideas for how we can make it more elaborate and specific?

Could we change the spoiler warning's text so it doesn't only warn of spoilers for new material? I think it's good to be able to note that a profile will spoil something, even if that piece of media is old. Not everyone has played/watched/read everything they'd like to already.

If we do not restrict it to only apply for relatively new material, we would need to place the warning on around 29,000 pages, which is not realistic.

I personally think that the current spoiler template text seems fine to continue to use.

I have no real issue with the proposed rules.
So is the initial draft fine, or does somebody have ideas for how we can make it more elaborate and specific?
@Confluctor @Armorchompy @SamanPatou @Damage3245 @Sir_Ovens @Bobsican @Andytrenom @Qawsedf234 @DarkDragonMedeus @Metalballrun @JohnConquest1 @Chariot190 @GyroNutz @Zaratthustra @The_Impress @Propellus

we would need to place the warning on around 29,000 pages, which is not realistic
No one has to do it now. It can be an overtime thing.

I think putting a spoiler at the top would be ideal - however, not really something which needs enforcing. Just something to recommend.

I would additionally strongly suggest not using an image on profile at all if the character in question is exceeding grotesque.
Example: SCP-610

My only concern with the current version of the text is that we should probably outline a specific timeframe in which a certain form of media is "recent" for the purposes of being a spoiler. I've seen two weeks as the default timeframe.
Maybe we could also make them "expire" automatically so they're removed once that time passes, but IDK if that's possible.

No one has to do it now. It can be an overtime thing.

I think putting a spoiler at the top would be ideal - however, not really something which needs enforcing. Just something to recommend.
No, definitely not, as it would be extremely overzealous. My apologies.

I would additionally strongly suggest not using an image on profile at all if the character in question is exceeding grotesque.
Example: SCP-610
That seems like a valid point, but we would have to be more specific, as grotesque is a subjective term.

My only concern with the current version of the text is that we should probably outline a specific timeframe in which a certain form of media is "recent" for the purposes of being a spoiler. I've seen two weeks as the default timeframe.
Maybe we could also make them "expire" automatically so they're removed once that time passes, but IDK if that's possible.
That is a good idea, but I am not enthusiastic about using the spoiler template much in the first place, as it will add a lot of mostly unnecessary extra work to constantly add and remove it to all pages with information from new games or movies, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back