• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How should we handle pages that discuss extremely sensitive topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think that a spoiler template is necessary for 99.9% of our pages. Spoilers should be naturally expected for our pages.

Anyway, should I add the new editing rule text now, or does it need to be modified first?

That seems like a valid point, but we would have to be more specific, as grotesque is a subjective term.
Excessive Human Gore that it is impossible to accurately portray the character without when pertaining to verses attempting to set themselves in a realistic, non comedic tone.

Well, I think that we already do not allow outright gore images. I was referring to ones that are "merely" disgusting.

If we do not restrict it to only apply for relatively new material, we would need to place the warning on around 29,000 pages, which is not realistic.
That is absolutely not true, only pages that greatly spoil an entire story just by reading them. For example, a certain game I recently revised has a bunch of twists near the end which all give P&A and the like such as the PC being an alien and causing corruption to his nearby environment, but not knowing them is important to experiencing the story properly. We wouldn't put this on any given page, just ones that intrinsecally contain great spoilers.

Just by looking at a page is spoiler as you see the tier and likely the justification. You see its power and abilities, what other names/titles it could have, its race... anything can be spoiler on a profile and so the moment you decide to look at X character then any spoilers seen are your own fault.

There's a pretty big difference between "oh there's an 8-C feat in this movie" and "if you read literally anything here you will be spoiled on the entire story"

I don't mean that it spoils all things within story but anything on a profile can be a spoiler if you have no knowledgeable of the verse but plan later to read/watch it as you learn what powers they may have/get, what race they can be (ex: x masquerade as a human but its actually a demon), what forms they may get (like transformations).

Again that's true, but some profiles definitely spoil more than others. I guarantee to you like 90% of our profiles don't dive much into spoilers, those that do are almost always only protagonists and primary villains, and even then it's far from guaranteed that they would.

That is absolutely not true, only pages that greatly spoil an entire story just by reading them. For example, a certain game I recently revised has a bunch of twists near the end which all give P&A and the like such as the PC being an alien and causing corruption to his nearby environment, but not knowing them is important to experiencing the story properly. We wouldn't put this on any given page, just ones that intrinsecally contain great spoilers.
Again that's true, but some profiles definitely spoil more than others. I guarantee to you like 90% of our profiles don't dive much into spoilers, those that do are almost always only protagonists and primary villains, and even then it's far from guaranteed that they would.
Okay. I suppose that we could modify my suggested rules text above to something like this instead then, if other staff members here think that it is a good idea:

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions and/or images of, and/or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains very elaborate spoilers for stories from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) that are not commonly known yet, please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."

I'm 99% sure if you come here to look up a verse you intend to start you're already setting yourself up to be spoiled. There are some thing that are just beyond the realm of our control. At the absolute best we can add the spoiler tag for pages we can anticipate traffic from like an anime adaptation for a manga, or a new MCU movie.

Other than that, we have absolutely no obligation to spoiler stuff like JoJo or Star Wars. Both things have been out for years and if you haven't already seen the source material before coming here, that's on you.

I am personally inclined to agree with that.

So do you have any suggestions for how we should modify the suggested rule text in my last post above in a more appropriate manner?

I would additionally strongly suggest not using an image on profile at all if the character in question is exceeding grotesque.
Example: SCP-610
Is it possible to put a "spoiler" to hide the image, similar to the ones you'd have on discord? That way people can read the warning and not get grossed out or decide to still look at the image.

I think that there exists code for it that has been repeatedly used in clickable lists of abilities in our wiki, but wouldn't it be better to just not include such images in the first place if they are too gross to be featured in an all-ages wiki?

610's image isn't even excessive. None of what the image shows contain internal organs or blood. If they were coloured black instead of red they could pass as lovecraftian horrors. I think it's fine as an image without context.

610's image isn't even excessive. None of what the image shows contain internal organs or blood. If they were coloured black instead of red they could pass as lovecraftian horrors. I think it's fine as an image without context.
Strongly disagree, especially given the context of the profile and it's abilities.

I think worst case scenario it can be hidden behind a spoiler of any sort with a warning

That also works, I suppose, but does somebody here remember the required code structure to apply that feature? A collapsible hidden section that is revealed by clicking a specific text that is.

Okay. I suppose that we could modify my suggested rules text above to something like this instead then, if other staff members here think that it is a good idea:

"If a VS Battles wiki page contains descriptions and/or images of, and/or links to, content that may be considered very extreme, shocking, or offensive, please add the <nowiki<{{Content Warning}}</nowiki> template at the top of said page, and if it contains very elaborate spoilers for stories from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) that are not commonly known yet, please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead."
This discussion is taking too long. Is it acceptable if I add the rule text suggested above now in lack of better options?

if it contains serious spoilers for a recently released story from different types of media (movies, games, books, etc.) please add the <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> template instead.
It seems good, but I want to ask: should we add <nowiki>{{Spoiler}}</nowiki> a non-recent released story with their whole profile based on the major spoilers? It happens in many visual novels. The well-known example is Monika since all her abilities are based on the major spoilers. A less-known example is Meng Xia, whose abilities are only revealed at the end of her route.

For the Category:RPG Maker, I feel that the current solution is fine since RPG Maker and Robolox are technically works themselves and there is no need to completely remove such categories. "have all character profile pages removed from it"

Last edited:
I think that it is only realistic to add the spoilers template for very recently released media.

This discussion is taking too long. Is it acceptable if I add the rule text suggested above now in lack of better options?
@Sir_Ovens @Confluctor @Elizhaa @Armorchompy @JohnConquest1 @Zaratthustra @Bobsican @Damage3245 @GyroNutz @SamanPatou @DontTalkDT @Andytrenom @Qawsedf234 @DarkDragonMedeus @The_Impress

Thank you for the reply. I will wait a bit for further confirmations before the new rule is applied though.

Thank you. I will apply it then.

I have done so. Is there anything else left to do here?

Apparently not. Should I close this thread then?

Okay. I will do so then.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back