• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How Did You Get Introduced To Your Favorite Verse(s)?

Fiction on VSB only or in general? If its VSB only then:

Knight Run: One of the greatest pieces of fiction I have ever read. If a cruel god would come down to earth, pick me and curse me with "You can only read/watch/play one thing for the rest of your life", I would choose Knight Run.

Stumpled upon that acursed series back when I first discovered Webtoons. Back when the big 3 Shounens of Webtoons were Noblesse, God of Highschool and Tower of God, Knight Run was just this really unassuming little series that got recommended to me by father algorithmn. Read it, hated it and didnt touch it until months later. Went from "God this is shit", when I did reread it, to "Holy shit this series is insane" In a couple chapters, to crying like a little bitch when the arc finale hit. I have, since when, read the series probably like 8 times.

Knight Run is reaaaaally rough at the beginning. And I know people will always be scared away by the first 20 or so chapters, because what psychopath introduces their main character with her whole ass backstory first before we even establish who the **** she is in the first place??? But if one gets past that rough start, the series will escalate real quick. And Anne Mayer is a ******* badass.

Gonna skip all of the uninteresting stories (so unfortunately that means I can't really talk about Metal Gear lol), so here's two of my journeys:

Sonic:
giphy.gif

I was a very little kid who grew up with the PS2 (and shortly after PS3, though would keep alternating back and forth), and I fondly remember the first two ever games I ever got and played. Those being Ultimate Spider-Man, and Sonic Mega Collection Plus.
I saw my Dad playing Sonic 1 on another PS2 when we were on holiday out of the country, and he noticed how intrigued I looked - so he gave me Mega Collection Plus when we got back and I played the shit out of it, as well as screwing around with all the fun cheats like Debug Mode.

I remember struggling like hell to input the Sonic 3 Level Select code and never managing to do it on the DualShock 2 controller, good times

From that point on, I became a very dedicated Sonic fan - watching episodes of his cartoons (more so SatAM than AoSTH) and playing quite a lot of his games (none of the Adventure games though lol), the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed & Sonic Generations on PS3 being the most memorable for me.

Dragon Ball:
giphy.gif

Since I was a massive Sonic fan, and I naturally looked for content of him on YouTube, that led me onto ScrewAttack's Death Battle.

After seeing Mario vs Sonic (the original one), I started to watch more of their videos and stumbled on Goku vs Superman. I was interested in it due to me knowing about Superman, but knowing absolutely nothing about Goku. Though, in my younger eyes, he had a very interesting design.

As Goku's summary played, I took a really big interest in him and his story - and found his abilities to be really cool. It helped massively that Super Saiyan (at least 1-3) slightly resembled the Super Forms in Sonic.
That video eventually led me to start watching the original Dragon Ball, Z, and GT (Super didn't exist yet). I then didn't have to wait long for Battle of Gods to come out shortly after finishing GT, and it solidified my love and excitement for the series and I've been following it ever since.

I've been pretty disappointed with the series lately for a multitude of reasons, but I'm still a fan and I just watched the new movie a few weeks ago : P

Most of my favorite verses, Transformers (Via the Unicron Trilogy and Bayverse), Dragon Ball (DBZ) and Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2, FOX Spidey and Spectacular Spider-Man) I got as a kid, but Ultimate Alliance was my first interaction with the characters Cap, Thor, Wolverine and Iron Man, Black Panther, and the entirety of the Marvel cast. Got more heavy involvement with the X-Men with the movies and games (Origins Wolverine best Wolverine game tho, here's hoping Insomniac can surpass it far and wide), same for Iron Man (And its decent-ish PS2 game).

Naruto I got interested in at Grade 8, but Bleach was at Grade 7 and it was done before Grade 8 finished (Never got to watch it properly because pirated disks which seldom worked, but I'll fix this soon with the blu-ray cuts). Got into DMC after hearing good things about it on the wiki, but God of War I had heard about countless of times since before joining the wiki but never got to actually play, but I finally decided to take a crack at it last year when I played and finished all the mainline games.

Assassin's Creed? Yeah, first saw it unfold before my eyes on my cousin's Xbox in 2011, AC Revelations, and my oh my, the graphics were sublime. By far my most favorite franchise to date, and I knew I had to play the games to their fullest no matter what. Shame what Ubishit has done to my AC.

Assassin's Creed? Yeah, first saw it unfold before my eyes on my cousin's Xbox in 2011, AC Revelations, and my oh my, the graphics were sublime. By far my most favorite franchise to date, and I knew I had to play the games to their fullest no matter what. Shame what Ubishit has done to my AC.
Honestly didn't expect this but if there's any solace supposedly the new assassins creed titled Assassin's Creed Mirage will be taking the series back to its original roots and will do away with all the stuff from recent games

Ultimate Alliance
Stg this game was godly at introducing people to these characters, that's where I got my first introduction to marvel or at least my earliest memory of it seeing my dad, uncles, ans cousin all huddle in he living room playing it together on a ps2 I believe. Truely one of the best marvel games to date

Gonna skip all of the uninteresting stories (so unfortunately that means I can't really talk about Metal Gear lol), so here's two of my journeys:
Rip I'm interested but metal gear love is always a good thing to share

Honestly didn't expect this but if there's any solace supposedly the new assassins creed titled Assassin's Creed Mirage will be taking the series back to its original roots and will do away with all the stuff from recent games
I don't have much faith knowing that they're apparently gonna use it to remake AC1, that and they haven't exactly... modified the combat much.

That and I doubt Ubishit is doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts, they only want money from its customers, they don't want to address the issues the fans have had with the series in the longest time since Odyssey came out and destroyed everything that made Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed.

I don't have much faith knowing that they're apparently gonna use it to remake AC1, that and they haven't exactly... modified the combat much.

That and I doubt Ubishit is doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts, they only want money from its customers, they don't want to address the issues the fans have had with the series in the longest time since Odyssey came out and destroyed everything that made Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed.
Yeah lol I've given up on ubisoft I literally hadn't bought an assasins creed game since I think that london one but I haven't actually liked one since black flag, considering it's ubisoft I expect the worse and for the ubisoft formula to double down but had to mention what they said if not for a little hope for better

1. Buddy told me about these big dumb mfers running around eating people in a post-apocalyptic world and flying humans hunt them down with swords

Immediately interested

Worst ******* mistake of my life
Still love it tho

2. breaking bad, i do remember my family having this gathering when the show ended, and my cool uncle teared up watching it, 8 yo me was pretty confused on why a big muscular hairy manly man was crying at a TV show
Decided to watch it years later, That one guys death in the end of S4 is probably the most i have been shocked watching something, probably ever

But **** man, some of the greatest shit of all time

3. DC and Marvel: The Dark Knight and The Spectacular Spider man and obviously the MCU

i've got a lot of verses that I enjoy but few that stand out are (none of the stories are too interesting)

My Hero Academia: probably back in like 2020 I used to hang out at my uncles place a lot and went downstairs to his room when he was watching anime which just so happen to be MHA and just instantly fell in love with the characters and powers especially All Might (still my favorite characters), i've kept up with everything MHA related since then

Danganronpa: My brother was a fan before I was so I went to the basement to see what he was doing which he was watching a Danganronpa LP, I was very interested in the whole story and how the games looked so watched it with him and its definitely far better going in without any idea what you're getting into at first, first death I saw was literally my favorite character from the 1st game😭

Undertale: I can't exactly remember how I got to love undertale but i'm pretty sure it came from me just finding the music online (was most likely Megalovania) since I didn't have a good computer at the time, I had to watch an LP of it by Jacksepticeye, I eventually got to play it and god what an amazing experience the characters, OST, Story, etc all come together to make an adorable yet heartfelt story naturally i'd get into Deltarune as well but Undertale still has more significance to me Megalovania was overhyped

Omori (on the wiki just doesn't have a verse page): same type of undertale situation but instead watched my friends play the game from start to finish (I voiced the characters which made it more fun) and jesus christ when we all got to the ending part of it, that shit hit us like a goddamn truck, it was the first game ending i've ever actually cried to when watching it and still tear up to this day when see it, 10/10 game would recommend if anyone has not played it.

OneShot: went into this one blind upon seeing the Steam reviews which were all like 10/10's and boy were they right, figuring out the puzzles on my own was amazing (fourth wall breaks galore) and amazing characters which all lead up to a climax which took me a good 10 minutes to actually pick an option, another game i'd highly recommend to anyone.

a few notable verses that I can't remember how I got into them are: Pokemon, Kirby (Series), One Piece, Friday Night Funkin, Gravity Falls, Terraria, and a lot more. some of those were when I was a little kid or just can't remember cause my memory is hot ass when it comes to remembering things like this lmao.

i've got a lot of verses that I enjoy but few that stand out are (none of the stories are too interesting)

My Hero Academia: probably back in like 2020 I used to hang out at my uncles place a lot and went downstairs to his room when he was watching anime which just so happen to be MHA and just instantly fell in love with the characters and powers especially All Might (still my favorite characters), i've kept up with everything MHA related since then

Danganronpa: My brother was a fan before I was so I went to the basement to see what he was doing which he was watching a Danganronpa LP, I was very interested in the whole story and how the games looked so watched it with him and its definitely far better going in without any idea what you're getting into at first, first death I saw was literally my favorite character from the 1st game😭

Undertale: I can't exactly remember how I got to love undertale but i'm pretty sure it came from me just finding the music online (was most likely Megalovania) since I didn't have a good computer at the time, I had to watch an LP of it by Jacksepticeye, I eventually got to play it and god what an amazing experience the characters, OST, Story, etc all come together to make an adorable yet heartfelt story naturally i'd get into Deltarune as well but Undertale still has more significance to me Megalovania was overhyped

Omori (on the wiki just doesn't have a verse page): same type of undertale situation but instead watched my friends play the game from start to finish (I voiced the characters which made it more fun) and jesus christ when we all got to the ending part of it, that shit hit us like a goddamn truck, it was the first game ending i've ever actually cried to when watching it and still tear up to this day when see it, 10/10 game would recommend if anyone has not played it.

OneShot: went into this one blind upon seeing the Steam reviews which were all like 10/10's and boy were they right, figuring out the puzzles on my own was amazing (fourth wall breaks galore) and amazing characters which all lead up to a climax which took me a good 10 minutes to actually pick an option, another game i'd highly recommend to anyone.

a few notable verses that I can't remember how I got into them are: Pokemon, Kirby (Series), One Piece, Friday Night Funkin, Gravity Falls, Terraria, and a lot more. some of those were when I was a little kid or just can't remember cause my memory is hot ass when it comes to remembering things like this lmao.
Nothing but peak I fear even the notable section at the bottom I'm especially eyeing terraria
. breaking bad, i do remember my family having this gathering when the show ended, and my cool uncle teared up watching it, 8 yo me was pretty confused on why a big muscular hairy manly man was crying at a TV show
Decided to watch it years later, That one guys death in the end of S4 is probably the most i have been shocked watching something, probably ever

But **** man, some of the greatest shit of all time
Literally how I got into shows I had no business knowing as a kid not understanding what cool ass shoe my parents were watching when I was a kid

Shows
Regular Show: I was probably like 5 absolute max. Shows like Dora, Go! Diego Go!, and Caillou were getting out of my taste. I still loved it but the problem was the fact that the plot would get boring after watching it with the plot being more or less the same (that damn blue arrow got on my nerves for the last time, I didn't even point at the screen). So I started watching what my brother watched. The first show I ever saw? Regular Show. It was probably more for 10+ (the coffee episode scarred me) but I was hooked. The action was so surreal and ever since I watched that first episode I made it my mission to watch every episode (I failed) but a year after it ended I truly finished it and man was it a blast. From Mordecai's relationship struggles, to Skips' troubles with immortality, to even Garrett Bobby Ferguson this show was amazing. It was truly was everything but.
Adventure Time: This is a similar story. My brother got me hooked and I watched religiously till like 2016 because the plot was too convoluted for my kid brain. I tried to recomplete it but when I do it I want to watch the full series in one go (the first episodes are so cringe tho) I've seen the last few episodes but not the entire thing.
Total Drama: This is a gem I found on my own. I'd currently been watching Regular Show and Adventure Time a lot but I figured I could fit in a couple more shows. Boy am I glad. I went back to the dark times of CN and watched some of the live action. Not because I thought it was gonna be good, but because I just wanted to see why it was so hated. I searched up shows from that time period. I saw fun shows like FlapJack and amazing ones like Ben 10 but one really stuck. Total Drama Island. Every single character had their own dynamic and it didn't clash with each other but instead they complimented each other. I'm truly glad I found it, it gets me through tough times even now. World Tour better tho and RR is top 3, cope.
DRRR! (Durarara!): This is my current favorite anime. I was on my true quest to otaku phase in 2020 so when I seen someone's best anime of the last decade list I was planning to watch them. This wasn't my first (That's Angel Beats) but it was def my favorite. The few 12 opening episodes had such nice exposition. I can't recommend this saying it's the best thing ever because of the fast paced ending where it's craziness shoved down your throat but I truly believe it's worth a watch or 2.
WWE: I think everyone has the same backstory for this so I'll keep it short. My father. The end.
Steven Universe: I just saw it when watching Regular Show and Adventure Time. Nothing complicated.

Games
Danganronpa: My brother was watching someone's lets play. Being a big fan of games like that I was hooked. My brother told me people died in the show though so I shouldn't watch it so I don't get spoiled. I didn't thankfully but I still seen Chapter 2's Deaths. I almost shed a tear when Mondo got his pack smoked and put on some pancakes. W game, 2 ~> 1 > 3 though.
Ace Attorney: When I said I like those type of games I meant this. I'll keep this one short too because I wrote a lot. Phoenix Wright looked so badass when he beat the shit out of Iron Man.

Last edited:
Extending this with two things I didn't include

Final Fantasy us one of my all time ganing franchises along with Kingdom Hearts and both I hadn't included into my original post.

I was introduced to Final Fantasy 7 first from anything else in the series so now those of you who are old enough to remember this gem of a game know where I'm coming from with this

I vividly remember the final Fantasy X battle music from the game as they were the obvious influence aside from dragon ball and that set in motion my interest into final fantasy 7 which I actually had the advent children movie something as a child I loved dearly and held onto to this day and that carried me over aside from old youtube playthroughs of the original 7 game that is until I began to play the series for myself

Kingdom hearts I was also introduced to in elementary school I had dream drop distance and birth by sleep and my friends had a Kingdom hearts manga they'd bring to school and we'd talk in length about it

That said I also completely didn't mention sonic who I can say had a godly impact on my childhood same as all of these with me being a avid lifetime fan of the series. Rn I'm actually rewatching sonic X in japanese🙏🙏 peak I fear

I played those when i was a kid lol. The main shit in this was the sword of cloud or zack fusing with the chaos emerald and opening a gate to something.

Tried webtoon one day, saw Tower of God, read it, didn't like the art. Tried it a little while later, best decision ever.

Saw videos on youtube about a webcomic called Homestuck, seemed curious, another dude in the comments started at the same time as me, he shared his development, I comment every time he did sharing our opinions on the webcomic. Finished Homestuck in a record due to lot of free time atm. Worst decision ever.

I watched my cousin play DMC reboot at PC thought the MC was cool. And then later on they played DMC 3 on PS2 and then Dante instantly became my favourite character in the game and became addicted to game and on how cool, badass and stylish he is.

I read GOH because the anime was released and then i thought it wasn't so bad. After a few chapters later i binged read it and liked the webtoon so much. I really liked GOH because of it's skill and design for Mori.

I watched Mob Psycho 100 because i saw a clip on youtube of Mob's 100% iconic fight with koyama. And then i liked the animation and the story.

Let's start with another favorite verse of mine.

Yakuza.

I only heard ramblings about it once and I too was once a philistine and thought of it as Japanese GTA. Then I proceeded to try it out once and it had some bugs on my PC. But then I went to a cousin's place out of town and I already knew how the game worked, so I played it out a bit, and I was heavily intrigued. So when I came back home, I knew I had to play it.

BUT BOY OH BOY ONCE I DID I GOT ******* HOOKED. THE COMBAT WAS UNLIKE ANYTHING I HAD EVER EXPERIENCED. It was just so ******* fun that I wanted to do it over and over and over again and take on the substory bosses even. I proceeded to then play most of the other titles in the series including Kiwami and Kiwami 2, and advently prayed for the release of the Remastered Collection and 6, and got those too, then I finished those as well before finally going out with YLAD. Since then I've been as hooked to the series as one could be. And then I anticipated Judgment and Lost Judgment to be on PC too but there was a spat between Kimura's agency and SEGA over releasing the game on the PC but it's finally been settled I guess. Still sucks it has Denuvo, but I am more than glad to see that the game has actually come to the best platform one could think to play on.

Oh, and how can i forget about Metal Gear. I asked for a devil may cry game to my uncle for my PS2 for christmas when i was like 12. But he couldn't find one, well he did but it was only a trial version of Devil May Cry 1. He couldn't find any non trial one. And so then he gave me GTA San Andreas, GTA 3, Resident Evil with Claire on it forgot the title, and then Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty. To be honest, at first i didn't like it, because i didn't understand a single shit in the game even the lore. But after a while, when i understood the game i got so ******* hooked up that i replayed it and finished it many times. And then i go to looking at the playthroughs and shit. I honestly didn't expect that i would get hooked up on Metal Gear not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Yakuza.

I only heard ramblings about it once and I too was once a philistine and thought of it as Japanese GTA. Then I proceeded to try it out once and it had some bugs on my PC. But then I went to a cousin's place out of town and I already knew how the game worked, so I played it out a bit, and I was heavily intrigued. So when I came back home, I knew I had to play it.

BUT BOY OH BOY ONCE I DID I GOT ******* HOOKED. THE COMBAT WAS UNLIKE ANYTHING I HAD EVER EXPERIENCED. It was just so ******* fun that I wanted to do it over and over and over again and take on the substory bosses even. I proceeded to then play most of the other titles in the series including Kiwami and Kiwami 2, and advently prayed for the release of the Remastered Collection and 6, and got those too, then I finished those as well before finally going out with YLAD. Since then I've been as hooked to the series as one could be. And then I anticipated Judgment and Lost Judgment to be on PC too but there was a spat between Kimura's agency and SEGA over releasing the game on the PC but it's finally been settled I guess. Still sucks it has Denuvo, but I am more than glad to see that the game has actually come to the best platform one could think to play on.
Alot of emotions I think, cool 👍

Oh, and how can i forget about Metal Gear. I asked for a devil may cry game to my uncle for my PS2 for christmas when i was like 12. But he couldn't find one, well he did but it was only a trial version of Devil May Cry 1. He couldn't find any non trial one. And so then he gave me GTA San Andreas, GTA 3, Resident Evil with Claire on it forgot the title, and then Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty. To be honest, at first i didn't like it, because i didn't understand a single shit in the game even the lore. But after a while, when i understood the game i got so ******* hooked up that i replayed it and finished it many times. And then i go to looking at the playthroughs and shit. I honestly didn't expect that i would get hooked up on Metal Gear not gonna lie.

Yakuza.

Gotta hand it to yall, yall two have some amazing taste 🙏🙏 good picks the both of ya

Not exactly favorite verses in the sense they're something ingrained as part of my usual go-to's, but I did list Godzilla and Touhou, both of which I had a period of almost obsession but eventually phases out to something kind of mundane.

So,

Mob Psycho, because I got reminded through Lugh's post. Anyway, yeah, 2015, I was still reeling from OPM anime being announced even though I touched the manga for the first time just the year before. Then I found ONE's other work, this. I read Mob Psycho, thought it was great and entertaining even in its state then. What do you know, anime announced for 2017, so I thought goddamn, I've got a magic touch. Since then I've pretty much followed anime exclusively for complete go-through of the story. I still keep up and am also excited for season 3.

Yuki Yuna
I swear to god I don't know how I stumbled on this one. Maybe it was a clip of first season's opening and then I thought, hey, it's pretty short. I should give it a shot, so I did. Instant love, I'd say. Managed to keep up with all anime instalment, though I'd unfortunately have to say Dai Mankai no Shou was kind of weak, but it's all still good fun.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi
3 profiles, no verse page. I might change that. Garbage anime, found when I was tryna get more fix of mahou shoujo, hopefully with a positive ending all in all. I got it. This was also a fun series, good characters even with the gross underutilization, like I'm surprised. Even with how low quality it ultimately ended up as, I loved it. Again, I might actually make a verse page and revise the series so don't nobody touch it because I know nobody wants to bother anyway.

Dragon Ball Z: Watching a movie on TV (The Return of Cooler) with my cousin, we were very young. Watching Goku and Vegeta (both as Super Saiyans) struggling to defeat a single Metal-Cooler, was exciting. I had never seen such an action-packed animation before. The moment we realized there were thousands copies of Cooler, all with the same power, was absolutely terrifying. To this day, that movie has a special place on my memories.

Steven Universe: A cartoon that my cousin told me to watch. I loved the soundtrack, the characters and their fusions. Unlike a lot of people, i still enjoyed SU: Future. It was interesting to see how the events from the show and the movie affected Steven's psyche.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I saw Evangelion three years ago and it completely changed the way i understood the world and other people. All the characters were super interesting, especially Shinji. Maybe it's because i've always struggled with social anxiety, but this anime resonated with me on a very personal level.

Elfen Lied: After watching Evangelion, i started looking for more "mature" types of anime. This was recommended to me and i loved it. Not much else to say about this one.
2/4

Dragon Ball: Believe it or not, I actually first found out about this series from Super Mario Bros. Z in like, 2010. Since it said that it was inspired by Dragon Ball, I looked it up and, lo and behold, I fell in love with it.

Neptunia: I shit you not. This video is how I first got introduced to the series. I am not joking.

Metroid: Sprite battles. Just, sprite battles. Those were the shit back in the day.

Dragon ball: years ago i remember seein my brother watch this shit when the tournament of power arc started. i made fun of that mf. called him a weeb, lame bum, ect. then after that episode. i got interested.

Dragon ball Games: I found out about the games when i played budokai on my brothers ps2. still remember i took a liking to the music. and then i bought db xenoverse 2. i was grindin on that shit ong. and then when i finished xenoverse. i found this wiki. and saw chuck's videos on xeno goku.

Dc/Marvel Comics: I was playin some marvel vs capcom 3. got a likin to deadpool. Dc was the animated superman movies.

Persona: I saw dat smash girls reveal bout joker from dc. i searched his ass up and watched mfs play persona. i started to dickride it. not anymore tho. lil bit

Touhou: ehhhh. idk. girls look hot i guess?

Neptunia: I shit you not. This video is how I first got introduced to the series. I am not joking.

Continuing from my first post

She Ra and the Princesses of Power: Randomly heard about Catradora online and wondered what that was all about

Inspector Gadget: Came across it on my TV network

Ejen Ali: Saw TV ads on it and started watching because it looks cool

Miraculous: Same as Ejen Ali

Last edited:
Back