• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How Did You Get Introduced To Your Favorite Verse(s)?

Says the One Piece fan
emotional-damage.gif

A couple of mine:

Xenoblade: Knew of Shulk from Smash 4 and got introduced to the series through a YouTube playthrough.

Black Clover: saw an ad while watching another anime and thought it looked interesting.

Fate: Saw Fate/Zero on netflix and decided to watch it.

Cosmere: Got interested in Mistborn while looking for something to read and got invested in the rest of the books.

Azure Striker Gunvolt: I had heard about the games vaguely before and saw the switch version on the eshop so I decided to give it a chance.

My favorite is bendy I got introduced to it in 2017 on some family channel I for some reason got really interested into the verse so ya

I have 3 verses tied as my favorites. Touhou Project, Terraria and Epic Battle Fantasy.

I first knew about Touhou once JzBoy made his Chara vs Sakuya Izayoi video. I remember being very angry at that video because Chara lost. (I was a very big Undertale fan back then. Puke emoji, puke emoji)

I then watched Memories of phantasm, read some vs battles wiki entries of Touhou characters and watched Marisa Kirisame vs Asriel Dremurr by JzBoy but nothing else.

Years later I start flirting with a roleplayer on a roleplaying site since she had an attractive profile picture of a character. It turned out he was a man so I stopped flirting. I asked him from what anime the character from his profile picture was and he told me about Touhou. At the same time I flirted with another girl on that site but it turned out she was asexual, so we just talked normally and she told me about Touhou.

Both of those roleplayers made me interested in Touhou. They told me the characters are extremely strong and made me think that Yukari could solo Undertale, Dragon Ball Super and Gurren Lagann. I was shocked by their claims. Could these cute anime girls beat the strongest character I know? (Anti Spiral)

So I started watching hundreds of Touhou videos. I suck at bullet games so I didn't even try to play the official games. I watched playthroughs of every Touhou game until I learned the lore of the games. Then I watched KKHTA (Peak) and read Touhou's longest fanfic, Imperfect Metamorphosis by Takerfoxx (Read this, it is the best Touhou fanfic ever!) And I made more friends that are Touhou fans and joined their communities. And I started playing Touhou fan games that are platformers (I love platformers!) Like Luna Nights and Yuu Yuu Jiteki Yuukarin

And then I finally played a Touhou game. I started with Touhou 15 because it could let me respawn infinite times (Every hard game needs this) and I played in easy mode. It was the hardest game I played. I died countless times to each boss. Then I got to Junko and I couldn't beat her after 200+ attempts. I was so devastated that I uninstalled the game and started reading the mangas.

Lately I felt pressure to try to beat a canon Touhou game or else I am not a true Touhou fans thanks to Twitter Touhou gatekeepers so I tried to beat Touhou 13 on easy mode. I got bored and quit after reaching Miko and dying two times to her. I don't like restarting from the first boss every time I die (**** arcade games) so I stopped playing that game. I'll do it later.

In summary, I came for the powerscaling and cute anime girls and I stayed even after learning Touhou doesn't solo Gurren Lagann & DBS (Goku solos) because of the cute "anime" girls, fangames, fanfic and lore

I don't remember exactly how I found out what is Terraria (My favorite video game of all time) but I remember seeing various memes and videos comparing Terraria and Minecraft to each other while saying Terraria is better (It is) and it made me butthurt so I asked my mum to buy me Terraria for the 3DS for Christmas and she did. Ever since then, I spent hundreds of hours playing Terraria, it's the game I put more time into out of all the games I played.
FsfUE3NWYAsQCnp

As you can see, on my PC alone, I spent 1,082 hours playing Terraria, I spend hundreds of hours more playing Terraria on other platforms.

I don't remember exactly how I found out what is Terraria (My favorite video game of all time) but I remember seeing various memes and videos comparing Terraria and Minecraft to each other while saying Terraria is better (It is) and it made me butthurt so I asked my mum to buy me Terraria for the 3DS for Christmas and she did. Ever since then, I spent hundreds of hours playing Terraria, it's the game I put more time into out of all the games I played.
FsfUE3NWYAsQCnp

As you can see, on my PC alone, I spent 1,082 hours playing Terraria, I spend hundreds of hours more playing Terraria on other platforms.
Glad to see more based Terraria enthusiasts in our midst.

One Piece "Hello, I am the TV, enjoy this anime because in the 2000 we put anime on TV!"

Add in Highschool finding like 6 guys who also loves One Piece (Because in School no one likes anime for some reason) and you have a fan finally able to enjoy talking about it and finally being able to express himself

Megaman I am bored, videogames are easy, I need a challenge... Flashback of Megaman x8

Hmm, I should try the whole franchise, I played Battle network 5 DS for literally 3 years, what can go wrong? Becomes addicted to Megaman

Black Clover
Best friend: "Hey Kazuma, you should try to watch Black Clover" Proceeds to ignore him

Crush: Please, try to watch Black Clover Starts watching it, became bored before the Water Temple arc

One day: "Ok, I shall give it another chance" Finally everything clicks, becomes addicted to Black Clover and even more when trying to defend it againts the whole spanish fandom who thought it was garbage

Dragon Quest and RPG in general My brother bought Dragon Quest VIII, best rpg from PS2 at that point alongside FFX

Sly Cooper By my brother and is literally the example of how even a kid´s game can have a story so ******* perfectly told and well made that even adults can enjoy it

And the gameplay is perfect for the younger kids, for adults can be a bit easy but the story is worth the invesment, plus:

Minor ones: Mushoku Tensei One of my best friends was extremely excited of the anime adaptation and we watch it together (I don´t care about the protagonist because he starts so low that the improvement works, he is ******* garbage, now he is not, it works at the end when you don´t even expect anything past chapter 1)

Re:Zero Rem, nothing more to say

Okay, the saga with Rem´s speech was the only time I had to spent until 5 AM to be able to sleep, but I don´t like Subaru too much to have Re: Zero in the same pedestal as Megaman or One Piece

Kingdom Hearts I literally don´t care about the lore at this point with the 500 reckons, gameplay is the main point, Yozora is still the hardest boss of my life, Malenia is free compared to him and I still have to beat him at level 1, when at level 50 I needed 3 weeks to do anything and I had to resort to watch videos because the patterns are completely ilogical

Dark Souls and similar By literally his reputation, Good gameplay, never bored of playing it again, but Dark souls 1 second half for me is unplayable (Orsteing and Smaug are now the final bosses for me, never again crystal cave or Lost Izalith, you don´t exist), 2 is wonky and 3 is almost perfect

Sekiro is literally perfect but on NG+ is almost like a boss rush, why bother fighting normal enemies? (Bloodborne sorry but is not on PC yet and I am not gonna use emulators)

And Elden Ring is ******* huge, is incredible but when I have been playing for like 140 hours and the game have not finished, I could not continue with the same enthusiasm, and I literally did not found some bosses like the white dragon on the ruins

At least Malenia, Mohg, Radanh, Margit (Which I had to defeat at level 1 because I did not know how to level up yet and so I was maidenless and I was not gonna lose 20k of runes) Godfrey and Radagon were incredible bosses

Godrick, you should be ashamed of being so useless

Tales of Is the only coop rpg so... :V

The incredibles
98c.jpg

Yu Yu Hakusho
: So literally I watched HxH for Meruem (he is so perfect that he will appear later) and then I decided to watch YYH, for me, it was miles better, like, I found that the main group,if anything is better than in HxH, I ******* destroys Leorio in everything, Gon for me was (key word, was) annoying before reading the manga compared to how Yusuke is ******* amazing and Hiei/Kurama are almost equal to Killua/Blond Sasuke (because Naruto invented everything, remember this well, it will make your life better)

Meruem I discovered Meruem with his one minute melee of Cell vs Meruem, so I had to search about him, I discovered that he appeared in HxH, so I had to watch the anime, always thinking "Meruem will appear, he is the protagonist, be patient" and then, he appeared, destroying his mother torso like the gigachad he is, truly a Yujiro Hanma´s son when Yujiro ****** with every single animal alive on the planet

Speaking of which

Baki I probably found Baki here and I could not like it at first because the first, literally the first character I saw was this ******* guy: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Kaku_Kaioh?oldid=3289135#Kaioh_of_Kaiohs

Mind you, this was when he had his manga picture, HE WAS ******* UGLY

I though every single character was gonna be this ******* mess of flesh, one friend convinced me in the end and I was able to enjoy the story of how Yujiro Hanma stopped a earthquake and then, years later, drugs and a net stopped him

7-C net, completely logical, also, Mohammed Ali Junior is right now, the most SIMP character of fiction, I challenge you to find someone that can defeat him in a simping contest

__meruem_hunter_x_hunter_drawn_by_gibagiba__sample-2a6e51494a8c99bb9a2f80120d0471f2.jpg

Last edited:
I remember clearly it was 8am and i was watching TV when they announced that they would start exihibit a new show called Naruto, they used scenes from the first episode with Naruto running from other chunin/jounin with a bucket on his hand, next weekend i woke up 6:30 am to watch that show.

Kingdom Hearts I literally don´t care about the lore at this point with the 500 reckons, gameplay is the main point, Yozora is still the hardest boss of my life, Malenia is free compared to him and I still have to beat him at level 1, when at level 50 I needed 3 weeks to do anything and I had to resort to watch videos because the patterns are completely ilogical
Yozora goes more into leaving at a side how you usually play on just trying to memorize patterns for the most part, and instead aim for more reactive gameplay to adjust in real time, like how Roxas in KHII punishes just spamming the attack button and promotes actually using the Block command, compared to most of the rest of the game.

The lore being messy is kinda the appeal TBH, not many series make the lore like that while also remaining safe for work.

Terraria cause i'm a ********* that plays Calamity Infernum mode and cause I like grinding.
Know it because of memes lol.
China novels since many years ago cause i read the original Wuxia (The ones from before 2000).
Anime beacause i thought its art are cooler than western cartoon lol.
I like Manhwa from The Gamer lol.

Epic Battle Fantasy I attended video game development classes back in high school and the teacher tasked us to play some RPGs and annotate the RPG elements we observed so that we could understand which elements worked and which elements good RPG games used so that later we could make an RPG. One of the free games the teacher suggested we should try is Epic battle fantasy 3 (It's free on Steam btw, go play it) and I played EBF3 on a website (I miss the era of Flash games :c ) since it looked like the most interesting out of the other options (It had sexy anime girls) and I quickly got addicted to it to the point that I started playing it outside of school. It also helped that I remembered that a youtuber I liked made a video talking about Epic Battle Fantasy so that also gave me more interest in the saga.
I completed EBF3 and then I asked my mum to buy me EBF4 (I managed to hide that that game had stuff a Christian mum would consider satanic like enemies that are demons and fanservice) and once I completed EBF4 I asked my uncle to buy me EBF5 (I also hid the fact that it had stuff that would displease my religious family from him too)

Like all youths of the modern world, Dragon Ball has simply been a constant of my life since the moment I was seven. I couldn't tell you who or where I was when I first saw Goku.

Pokemon

I think my brother introduced me to Pokemon through the XYZ season of the anime. Then I started watching lets plays and used the power of emulation to play a bunch of Pokemon games. Now I'm also playing TCG live because why not.

Toaru Majutsu no Index

Yeah my brother loves this and introduced me to it.

Touhou

Heard a bunch of Bad Apple variants, saw a bunch of memes, heard a bunch(not much) of remixes, decided screw it I'm getting into Touhou and read the mangas, used the power of piracy to do nothing as I suck at bullet hell and am stuck on Clownpiece's first Spell Card on Easy in Touhou 15.

Kirby

TV Tropes wiki walk baby. Still need to emulate this.

1. Super Mario: Not sure how I discovered this amazing franchise, probably because my Dad got a Wii at some point in the late 2000’s, I do remember my first game being Mario Kart Wii when I was really young so that’s probably how I got into it.

2. Fist of the North Star: The “You’re already dead.” meme was my introduction to this manga/anime in 2017, although I didn’t give it a proper watch until 2021.

3. Homestuck: Undertale was my introduction to Homestuck in a way, which was back in 2016, didn’t actually read the comic until 2021 (which was because of this site actually.)

4. Gurren Lagann: Heard about this anime through this site as wel, didn’t watch it until this year because I had friends who had watched it before. (best decision I made.)

5. Sonic the Hedgehog: I either was introduced to this series through Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing on iOS, or through all those sprite animations on YouTube (like Super Mario Bros. Z)

Last edited:
Spongebob Squarepants: I fell in love with this show when I started watching it on Nick back when I was a basically a baby. After that, I haven't stopped loving and enjoying the show (Yes, even most of the newest seasons. Except 6 and 7, they can go rot in hell).

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: This one is a bit of a trip. So, I was 'introduced' to Jojo's by Death Battle back when they first released Jotaro vs Kenshiro, and it did peak my interest, but I ultimately forgot about it. That is, until I saw Jojo's on CRACK by DEFI BRILATOR (an amazing video, btw) a couple of months later in my recommended. I watched it and decided that I wanted to watch this seemingly batshit insane series for myself. Fast forward to today, and now Jojo's is tied with One Piece for my favorite anime/manga series.

Dragon Ball: This one is pretty straight forward. My parents got me the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods movie on DVD and after watching it, I wanted to know more about these muscular men shooting lasers lol.

Record of Ragnarok: I saw a panel of Jesus in a manga about a year ago, and I simply had to check it out.

One Piece: Some of my friends had watched One Piece, and I wanted to be able to participate in their discussions about it, so I decided to start watching One Piece on Netflix. After that, I binged 300 episodes of anime in a month, and my grades haven't recovered since. Unfortunately because Netflix is trash and only had up to CP9, I switched to Crunchyroll and watched the rest of them up until now. This is a ******* banger of a series, and you should absolutely check it out if you haven't.

American Psycho: "Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. HEY PAUL!"

As the infamous ( aka unknown, unpopular and former ) youtuber Piguyrulz said, most of season 6 and above is just Squidward Torture ****.
6 and 7 for sure, but it's mostly died down barring a few incidents in the recent seasons (Black Lemonade, Are you happy now, etc).

Back