• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How Did You Get Introduced To Your Favorite Verse(s)?

Oh WWE is pretty nice to watch. I watched A LOT back then. I kinda got frustrated before with Vince but now HHH is running the stories so I might get back into it again.
Oh please get back into it.

Ever since HHH took over, there hasn't been a bad episode of RAW or Smackdown.

Castlevania: I used to real Nintendo gaming magazines and this was around the time the DS was just being released. Dawn of Sorrow was one of the first titles for it iirc and I liked the look of it and got it as a kid and the rest was history lol

Jojo: I found out about the capcom fighting game for part 3 back in high school, then took up cosplay of it years later.

World of Darkness: Ever see that WWE wrestler Gangrel? Turns out it was a reference to Vtm and that was how I found out about it.

Akame Ga Kill: my favorite Anime and Manga, i came across randomly when i wanted to watch some animes, i got hooked since ep 1, the animation, the characters, the plot, the fights, everthing i loved about the series, and then i found out there was the manga wich was different from the anime, and i read it, i got attached to the series even more than before, the thing that made this my favorite series, its because it was the first dark fantasy i ever watched, you couln't tell wich chararacters could die or not, and well i realized that some characters will stay dead no matter what, and well that's it

Edens Zero: i love Mashima artstyle and i heard that he was gonna do a new manga, got hooked since chapter 1 in the 28 june of 2018, and damn this is honestly is best work, the more the series go on, the story, the lore, the characters and the word-building are so much keeping getting better is almost insane, people consider this series the "Fairy tail in Space", these guys never read the series, infact i and the people who actually read it, we consider this the "One Piece in Space", and honestly a really good dark fantasy

Damn, i almost forgot this two franchise that also impactful for me:
  • Godzilla, before Ultraman hooked me to Japanese culture fully, there was Godzilla who got aired in my national tv back then, and when i got introduced to it i was like.....4 to 5 years old i think, most of it was from Heisei era and only two from Millenium Era (2000 and Final Wars), that point i became such of Dinosaurs addict as well (and even today i'm still an dinosaurs addict and even branching to prehistorict as well) thanks from Godzilla but i'm not hooked to japanese culture yet until Ultraman. I also watched Godzilla animated series (Zila jr series) but not frequently since it was aired around early morning, and Final Wars is the last Godzilla film that i watched in my childhood, i watched it at MIDNIGHT BECAUSE IT WAS AIRED IN THAT TIME! And up until junior highschool i thought Godzilla franchise ended there.....until i watched 98 Godzilla and i thought it was continued until i learn it was from 1998 💀 (and yes, the movie was bad even for my junior highschool brain), thankfully there was internet and searched....and turn out a new Godzilla film was made that time. I honored to watched 2014 Godzilla in a DVD (i was in senior highschool when i bought the DVD) and yeah, since then i followed Godzilla frequently
  • Puella Magi Series, basically one of my starting points when i became full pledged weeb, and that time i became a yuri fan after discovered a picture of Miku and Luka kissed, discovered this series when i searched many of anime wallpapers/pictures and i'm interested of it (doesn't mention it looks like a Sailor Moon, me thinking), and yeah.....traumatized by it in good way lmao. And i'm still new to yuri and man the relationship between the chars are really good and complex. I also even bought the spin-off manga like Oriko Magica and Kazumi Magica

*Touhou Project
2008. One of my cousins, or my youngest uncle, had us all in his room. He put up Hisoutensoku, and we all had our turns in it. I can tell it was Hisouten because I recall Tenshi being playable very vividly. Surprisingly, despite being my first ever Touhou game, it was also where I happened to already have Youmu as best girl. If other 2hu fools disagree, put it in the complaint box because Ion read that shit
Damn, your cousin/uncle is such of man of culture, salute 👌

i got into toku while surfing a watch online web. I saw kamen rider drive and then started watching toku.

Lookism i got into while surfing quora. I saw it as an example and jumped in

Suprised no one's said Devil May Cry yet because I forgot to mention it so I've been looking out for anyone to say it but no one has yet :(

Forgot to say this in Ultraman and Kamen Rider part (mostly Ultraman), thanks for Ultra series i've discovered Tsuburaya other creation like Gridman, back then i really want to watched it but none of DVD in my places have it, and around that time the anime series has been released. But thankfully.....Tsuburaya in their official channel in yt uploaded the original Gridman series full episode a year ago
I watched the anime series (SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon) via piracy and goodness the series was amazing, and Rikka is the best thiccest girl
No wonder Gridman became the 2nd child of TsuPro after Ultraman
Fun Fact: I was shocked that Gridman wad aired in my country in mid-90's! Until i checked it again it was an american adaptation of Gridman who was aired back then

Damn, your cousin/uncle is such of man of culture, salute 👌
Am still planning to one day steal the Reimu nendoroid and fumo he left in mint condition in his old room.

After consulting my brother again, who found them, I now know there's also a Sanae fumo. Interest has tripled and I should be Mr. Burglary one of these days.

So these are the verses closest to my heart, for many-a reasons.

1. Star Wars: As I've said many times in the past, this is my favorite verse... Ever. The only one that comes even close to how much I love this (soap) space opera is Pokémon (we'll get there). I will proceed to kind of dox myself and reveal my age with this ovo but I was literally in my mom's womb when she watched Phantom Menace. Already I had those iconic sound-effects engraved in my soul. I remember the first time I consciously watched a SW movie. It was Attack of the Clones, had it on DVD. My impressionable mind at the time loved these shooty-pew pew guys with their magicks and laser swords. I just had to watch Revenge of the Sith on cinema. It was probably the first time I cried at a piece of entertainment. Order 66 indeed made me cry, I was a wee kid. But that same night I stayed up late. I found (I believe it was the Sy-Fy channel) a marathon of the OG trilogy. That was the moment my mind was blown away forever...

2. Pokémon: Quite the similar experience to SW, from a very very young age I'd experienced this wonderful world of colorful monsters. My cousins all had a gameboy with either red or blue. I loved watching them playing, I loved watching the show. I even had these cartridges for a handheld console that had some episodes (I had the one where Ash's Charizard fought Magmar and the Squirtle island one). Sapphire was the proper first game I played. I will never forget that lil Marshtomp that accompanied me for a time before I had to return the cartridge to my cousin (since it was borrowed). Imagine my surprise when I got Emerald on my birthday. I was the only one of my friends and cousins who had it, while also having Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness later on (with even the strategy guide). Pokémon Emerald is still to this day the game I've played the most. Still have my original cartridge and save file stored.

3. Zelda: Childhood is indeed quite the wonderful thing. Owning a N64 was magical. That damn tune still makes my eyed teary to this day. The galloping of Epona and that title screen; even if Ocarina of Time ain't my favorite, it was the first one I played. I could never beat it, I was quite a small kid ayy. However, I truly believe I wouldn't be the person I am today if not for Zelda. I remember when I watched a commercial for the Collector's Edition for the GameCube. I wanted so much to play like "the wolf form"; imagine my surprise when Twilight Princess wasn't included, hah! And yet, my actual favorite Zelda game was... Majora's Mask. The first Zelda game I actually beat. And my favorite game of all time. The game that shaped who I am today, my beliefs, my outlook on life. The game that taught me to "believe, believe in (my) strength". Gosh, I could literally talk about MM for hours. Let's not even get started with Link's Awakening, one of the first games that actually made me cry (ignoring rage ovo friggin Pkmn Colosseum, man).

3. DC Comics: I mean, the fact that I still remember taking a bath towel and put it around my neck to pretend to fly around like Superman, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl. Cuz indeed, I first got into comics from tv shows, primarily Batman TAS and JL. I've always been way more attached to DC than Marvel (despite Professor X being my favorite superhero of all time), because I watched those shows as a kid. Growing up, I started reading and found probably the work that's more emblematic with me as a person: Swamp Thing. Oh, the history I have with this plant-guy. Alec Holland and Abigail Arcane are probably the two comic characters I feel represent my outlooks on life. Alec in particular made me get to know me better. Through him and his journey, discovering his nature, his purpose in the cosmos, his love as well. Swamp Thing is a character greatly defined by his humanity, despite the fact that he never was one in the first place. The Duality of Man.

4. Dungeons and Dragons: My love for acting, my love for writing, my love for all artforms, can be traced back to role-playing games. It's the first activity I remember truly bonded my family. All of my cousins and my sister, coming together to create an extended world that covered my grandnana's entire house. We would design shops, jobs, personalities, a banking system and a literal economy and play through it, evolving with the passage of time. It took couple of years until I realized what we were doing was role-playing. And then I discovered D&D. On school, we would organize extended play all across it (my childhood school was basically on a hill, with a grove that went into a highway), running everywhere, with goddamn walkie-talkies and other props we brought in everyday. We had large scale wars, literal tournaments to crown who was the better fighter among us, tests of "skill" where we designed traps across the forest to see who could pass. I teared so many clothes ovo
Years later, now all of that is still alive and well through my many tables, stories and campaigns. So many characters, so many lives I got to live, to experience. So many adventures. Incidentally, if it weren't for my love for rp'ing, I would've never found Vs Battles, as it was recommended to me by a friend who played WH40k and we frequently debated fictional characters.

5. Dragon Ball: For many kids in latinoamérica, this was their childhood. And I'm one of them. The adventures of Goku going around the world collecting the Dragon Balls is something that I wish I could relive. Growing up and also watching him grow up is probably one of my dearest experiences. It is the reason I enjoy stories of fighting, the reason I adore debating character interactions, character motivations. DBZ may be more popular, but the actual tears I shed even today watching Goku reunited with his grandpa is something very difficult to replace in my heart...

6. WWE/Wrestling in general: Random and Pika, if you see this, please don't spam me asking questions ovo
Alongside Dragon Ball, the reason I enjoy story-driven fights so much. Probably also the reason I fell in love with theater. I will never forget my grandpa turning on the TV and one of my childhood idols "El León de Apollo" coming out to beat the hell out of someone. Then of course, growing up with the Ruthless Aggression era... Fun times.

7. Twin Peaks: Where do I even start... It was relatively recently in my life I got to watch this show. Casually talking with friends on discord when we stumbled across a clip on YT. Seeing BOB for the first time. I'm not easy to scare... But damn did BOB creeped me the **** out. We just had to know wtf was going on there.
Funny thing about this: We were absolute idiots, because what we thought was the pilot episode, was the first episode of the second season. We were so lost and out of context lmao
Ah, Twin Peaks... One of the few shows I can honestly say there isn't a single character I don't love. I fell in love with that town, just like Cooper did. I rooted so much for Ed and Norma. I wanted to see Audrey be happy, getting accepted by her father. Hell, I wanted to see Ben Horne spend more time with Johnny. I hated so damn much Laura Palmer, yet also was so scared of her... Until I read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (which I did before watching the movie). Never have I felt so sorry for a fictional character in my life. And to this day, I wish it indeed could have ended differently.

-

Well well, I will leave it at that, then! ovo

this seri have impact on me too,in fact it was the entire capcom game that impact me💀
Facts I haven't even begun to mention resident evil, street fighter, Asura's Wrath and so many others, capcom is just goaty Marvel vs Capcom and Tatsunoko vs Capcom are two of the best crossover fighters ever and I'll die on that hill(maybe not better than smash tho👀)

Near November 2020, I was really into spectacle fighters. I'm talking stuff like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry, and I was looking for more, issue being there aren't too many notable ones that are also readily available to people nowadays.

So with some quick browsing I found a game called No More Heroes which seemed to fit the bill (it doesn't, for the record. it's an amazing game but absolutely not the sort of thing you can do cool combos in - its story structure resembles Rising a lot though, I suppose). I could have gotten it on Switch, but there was a Steam Sale going on at the time, so instead, I looked into the creator's other games, see if any had found their way to Steam since that'd be easier for me to play (No More Heroes is now on Steam, but was not at the time). There were a bunch of hack and slash games I couldn't play, one, Killer Is Dead, that I thankfully missed, since it could have been my first Suda51 game, and I don't like KiD very much so I'm glad it wasn't - some visual novels, and I sure as hell wasn't going to play those - and one game, originally for the Gamecube, called Killer7. I mistook the game for being another hack and slash like No More Heroes when reading up about it, and since it seemed interesting if a bit odd (and I've always liked surreal and unusual games - that was a draw in and of itself), so I bought it.

Well it turns out, Killer7 isn't a hack and slash, it's uh... a rail shooter/survival horror/puzzle game? It's a genuinely hard game to describe in terms of gameplay and while I think that's actually pretty genius now, I couldn't really get into it at the time. I hadn't tried getting into shooters yet, horror is something I've always been a bit afraid of (duh... ?) and generally it felt like playing a game from a parallel dimension. The enemies were invisible if I didn't do a specific action, made hellish noises and chopped off a bunch of damage each, the controls were weird and to make things worse, button prompts didn't realize I was playing on keyboard (the only real flaw of an otherwise very good port to modern hardware). The story front didn't help either - characters dropped mysterious lines to each other that felt like they made sense, but I couldn't interpret - again, it was like it coming into a different dimension and everyone just taking things you didn't know for granted. It was really damn intriguing, but I felt frustrated and confused too, and eventually I put down the game.

Still, I didn't realize it at the time but I was hooked already. Perhaps, with a more familiar gameplay style, I could get into one of this madman's works? So I purchased No More Heroes on Switch, and played it. Needless to say, I loved it, I'm not gonna start praising every aspect of it now as I'd otherwise make this wall of text thrice as long, but it's a very clever story that kicks down what you'd expect to be a normal, "cool" videogame superstar and shows them for the shallow, violent idiot they'd really be while keeping them very entertaining and charming all the way through. It was very funny, it was incredibly tragic, and it was everything I was looking for. I bought No More Heroes 2 and while I'd eventually come to be a little ambivalent on it, I liked it too.

I went back and played through the rest of Killer7 and it blew my mind - if No More Heroes was one of the best videogames I'd ever experienced, Killer7 was a nearly uncontested number one (or two, actually, I still like Earthbound more. But pretend it's #1, that makes for a cooler story). It was dripping with a unique noir atmosphere, intensely stylish cutscenes that painted a plot that I could only slowly begin wrap my head around - I even came around to vibe with the gameplay. In its final hours I genuinely felt upset when playing it because I knew it would end. I beat Killer7 on December 31st 2020, an hour or so before my birthday and the start of the new year.

So yeah I'd say I liked it. This was when I really began to look into Suda51's library - I'd heard Travis Strikes Again was a sort of celebration of his whole development history, so I wanted to play as much as possible before diving into it.
  • I played Killer Is Dead - not great. Due to publisher meddling, I think, Suda's original vision was a bit muddled and the game itself is a bit lacking in substance, though it is extremely stylish, and pretty fun if you're just looking for a slightly mindless hack and slash. Maybe a couple months earlier I would have loved it.
  • I watched (maybe not in this order?) playthroughs of Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and looked into Let It Die. Latter's not actually a Suda51 game (my bad!) and the first two had less input from him than older games, but I still enjoyed them.
  • I had played a few visual novels before (Ace Attorney, Danganronpa), but I had been kinda ambivalent on them, so I was a bit afraid to get into The Silver Case - Suda51's first game under his own company, Grasshopper Manufacture, released for the PS1 and only translated and re-released in 2016. TSC is an intensely difficult, complex story and initially I didn't know what to think of it. I had to sit down and think about it for a bit over the following days before truly coming up with my own interpretation of it - sure enough, I loved that one too.
  • The next game, Flower, Sun and Rain, is a puzzle game for the PS2, translated and ported for DS. It might honestly be the most surreal and absolute hardest to interpret among of all of Suda's works, and it's a really dickish one too - a lot of FSR is spent just walking around, with nothing happening, with the game going out of its way to waste your time and make you feel like an idiot for playing it. And that it did a bit too well, by the end I hit the final reveal, which I perceived as (and might be) the game making up something insane just to make fun of me once more, and I was quite upset - I hated the game for making me go through it, initially. So obviously, after like, two days of thinking about it, FSR became a masterpiece that not only challenged my enjoyment of media as a whole but got me to reconsider how I approach life as a whole. I am not joking in the slightest.
  • Then The 25th Ward, the sequel to TSC. Another great game with an intensely complex and rewarding story - I'm repeating myself a bit so I'll cut it short, but it's great too.
Things had to cool down for a bit as I played (and really liked) Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. I was effectively out of games to play if I didn't wanna dive into some of the less interesting stuff, some of which I haven't yet bothered with. But needless to say, by this point I was a hardcore fan. The only Grasshopper game to release since then was No More Heroes III, and while I have some pretty beefy niggles with it, I think it's a very good game too, all considered. Recently, Moonlight Syndrome, one of Suda's absolute first forays into writing, received a fan translation, so I'm now diving through that series too.

bought No More Heroes 2 and while I'd eventually come to be a little ambivalent on it, I liked it too.
I was still a little shit when I played this and found it quite tasteful as it was my introduction to the series and a good one at that imo

Guardian Tales: Basically a friend introduced it to me as a fun phone game, I didn't have high hopes, and oh man, the surprise it was to see such a good story with surprising amounts of momentum that really made me cry, especially worlds 11 and 10, from there I became quite obsessed with this series, and I'm definitely thankful to still be here to see world 15 come out this month.

A great phone game and a gacha worth giving some of your money to, with a very good story.

Granblue Fantasy
I was already into powerscaling before I discovered this verse that I try to keep updated here.
Originally I thought really nothing of my favorite verse powerscaling-wise.
My friend introduced me to Granblue Fantasy as like a mobile game you can play on a website. All of us played the game as newbies. heck, the first event I played is basically a side story about cooking food for a midget. At first, it was just fun casual gaming. But I wanted more I tasted power and want to get stronger in the game. told my friends joining a new crew. Improved got stronger. Reading the stories I didn't really read them in detail just understanding the plot and stories.

It was when I hit a wall and have to slow down in progress that I got bored and started reading descriptions.
Like I know Bahamut is a big dragon that does crazy stuff. Final Fantasy Crisis Core Bahamut and Gold Bahamut were my favorite dragon So knowing Bahamut is like the Biggest God in Granblue kinda makes me like it.
The descriptions on his weapon were so blatant about destroying the universe I thought "wtf". So I started digging even weapons that are not from his powers are ridiculous. so I was like surprised this game has potential for powerscaling. so i browsed vsbattle and to my dismay it doesn't exist and there was only like a short talk thread in the old fandom and a sandbox by First_Witch. and stuffs happened from there to where it is now.

One Punch Man
but I avoid being involved with powerscaling and I trust most members who already invested in powerscaling Saitama are reasonable enough to keep it in check. I discovered it by a friend's suggestion. the idea of one punching everything was interesting to me at that time as a powerscaler.

Overlord
Another anime recommendation from a friend although i really liked the series i really do not have a knack at reading walls of text and books so i sticked to anime only. This was the first anime i watched that is OP Isekai MC and i enjoy it so much i rewatched it from time to time. specially certain episodes

Madoka Magica
Another friend suggestion i already know its gonna be a horrible despair anime and i really enjoyed the art of this series. I support it in a way but only knows the anime and movies

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero
Seigi no Mikata. This is a lighthearted version of Madoka Magica found it when i was looking for anime similar to madoka Magica and i'd say i enjoyed it. still holds a place in my heart till now

Fate Series
The first one I watched is Fate/Zero and I'd say it was Amazing made me into Fate even though at first I really didn't like Fate and the Gilgamesh overwanking. Still hate Gilgamesh btw but at least I understand him now as a character rather than a powerscaling figure. After that, I decided to try watching UBW and playing FGO. Didn't really stick much to it but tried to be updated on anime. Except Fate Extra Anime. That thing did not make a single sense and i played Fate Extra PSP game. It gave me more questions than answers so i stopped thinking about it and did not continue. Although I'm not really up to date on other Fate stuff specially Extella and CCC. Fate/Zero still holds a special place in the art. That thing alone made me like Fate.

Persona 3 - 4
Discovered the PSP game P3P while I'm looking for a good turned base game. It left a mark in my heart similar to FF Crisis Core. MC dying at the end without many implications or a death flag always gets me. Especially if they are so special and strong in a sense that the idea of them dying is just flat out impossible but somehow it happened. From then i played Answer in PS2
Then watched the Persona 3 Movie. then tried Persona 4.
Persona 4 had some great depth and detail to story but due to how light hearted it is i try not to think too much because at least my MC is alive
I watched Persona 5

Final Fantasy
This one is a classic I always find it in Gameboy that were given to me and even PsP. Back then saving is horrible. your progress can get deleted so i speedrun into things hoping it until I played War of the Lions and Crisis Core. Crisis Core holds so much place in my heart Zack and Genesis are an amazing character I'm glad i found a UMD of this game in my Dad's bag and took it and saw its also in ISO in his hard drive with a collection of ISO PSP games. The first final fantasy game i played is actually FF VII but i was like a literal kid that i have no idea or memory how to play the game and do not even understand basic concept such as Game plot and story. I'd consider this one my most favorite solely from Crisis Core alone. Loved that game more than Granblue

• Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and Star Trek - My dad (RIP ❤️ )
  • Mass Effect - Played the Mass Effect 2 demo, bought the game, the first one, the DLC's, the Collector's edition for the third and the comic books
  • Star Wars - Myself/popular opinion
  • Resident Evil and GTA - My grandad, he used to let me watch him play them as a kid. Sometimes I could watch him play in the spare bedroom on a different because it was connected to his, so I'd watch him play the 3D universe a lot or some of the classic RE games before I went to sleep.
  • Halo and Warcraft - My cousin, Would play Halo 3 multiplayer and it's the reason I got into gaming, as for Warcraft, I'd watch him play WoW and sometimes I also played on his account too
  • MCU - Myself, used to watch Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk a bajillion times before the universe expanded into what it is now
  • Assassins Creed - Myself, played AC2 and loved it
  • DC and Marvel - Myself, superhero movies in general got me interested in the lore behind the characters themselves and have enjoyed most movies and games based on them.
  • Crash Bandicoot and DOOM - Mother, she used to play both when I was younger and my interested peaked when I got older
  • Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh - Myself, I have good taste
  • Call of Duty - Myself/popular opinion, good ol' zombies ☺️
  • XCOM - Myself, saw a ad on the old xbox live store page, was interested got hooked
  • Alien/Predator, Terminator and Command and Conquer - Unsure

6. WWE/Wrestling in general: Random and Pika, if you see this, please don't spam me asking questions ovo
Alongside Dragon Ball, the reason I enjoy story-driven fights so much. Probably also the reason I fell in love with theater. I will never forget my grandpa turning on the TV and one of my childhood idols "El León de Apollo" coming out to beat the hell out of someone. Then of course, growing up with the Ruthless Aggression era... Fun times.
In all seriousness, it's nice to see another WWE/Pro Wrestling guy lol.

Back