• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How Did You Get Introduced To Your Favorite Verse(s)?

I was randomly browsing through manga on some random pirate site a few years back. I was searching through the fighting manga tag, wanting to find something interesting to read. One of the mangas that popped up was called "Kengan Ashura"

I remembered hearing some people on some small-scale anime communities mention the manga once or twice, so I decided to click on it.

That's...pretty much it. I binged read the series, then reread it several times, and it's now one of my favorite verses in general.
Imagine not discovering Kengan through the garbage netflix adaptation

I found Re: Zero after a friend on Minecraft told me it was one of her favorite animes, around 2017 or 2018. She had good taste, so I decided I'd give it a shot. Back then, I pretty much watched anything I was recommended because middle schoolers don't really have anything better to do with their lives. I watched it and immediately found myself deeply invested in the series and its characters. Back then, a lot of people hated Re: Zero, and an equal amount of people loved it. I was definitely on the latter side.

Starved for more content, I decided to read the Re: Zero Web Novel in 2019, and from there my love for the series only grew, until it eventually became my overall favorite series of all time with the release of Arc 6. To this day, I still believe that Arc 6 of Re: Zero is the greatest arc ever written, even compared to things like Berserk's Golden Age. I am unsure if that opinion will ever change, or if the series can even surpass what it managed to accomplish in those 90 chapters.

Re: Zero enraptures me because of its unique writing, character development, and world-building. It breaks down all generic fantasy isekai norms and turns them on its head in ways you wouldn't expect going into it. Each arc leaves you wondering how the story could possibly progress from its ending, only for the author to once again switch gears and take you down a completely different path that's somehow better than everything before it. All while managing to develop every single character - even side characters, to the point that their depth exceeds that of most series' main protagonists. And this is not to mention its main character, Subaru Natsuki, who I firmly believe has gone through the most character development of any character - ever (At least that I know of). With this development, the series constantly expands on its world, providing the reader with new settings to explore, each with its own unique quirks and traits than the places that have come before it...

All and all, yeah, favorite series. Decided I should stop ranting after noticing this thread is only about how you found your favorite series, not why the series is your favorite.

1 Transformers - the 07 movie when it got released on dvd

3 Power Rangers- Jungle fury and RPM

4 DBZ - when i was 5 i saw Cell beat the **** outta Gohan,

10 Godzilla - heisei films

8 Digimon - Data Squad

6 Marvel - Iron Man 2

7 DC - Young Justice and TDK

11 Bionicle - The movies

5 Naruto - Storm 2 + ROAN

2 Brave Series - GGG

9 Sentai - Go-onger

Me right now literally inviting every members to come to this thread:

man-runs-fast.gif

For me, I got into Kirby after seeing Kirby beat Majin Buu in that Death Battle video, and I got into One Piece after seeing Luffy beat Kenshiro on a Deviantart death battle.

Aight so

Pokemon: Heard rumors about the whole apelepsy controversy and my parents wouldn't let me watch it. I then got into games and played fire red on a random site and liked it a lot and then got into it, watching the origins anime and finally joining in for real.

Kirby: got into it around the same time as pokemon but no wackyness here. I saw Kirby Right Back At Ya and played Amazing Mirror and i loved it. Got into it right away.

Godzilla: I randomly decided to watch Godzilla once because i kinda went on a cinema spree. I watched the 2014 version, loved it, watched the 1954 version, also loved it and i was pretty much sold. I also developed a love for extremely large things so like, a reverse megalophobia.

Tower of God: the anime came out, everyone hyped the story up and i couldn't wait for the next episode and so i found a pasttime while waiting for online classes to end.

Jojo: I once heard that there was a reference to Jojo in undertale. I then one day finally watched it after going in circles around it for a while.

Undertale: i one day found the piano version of megalovania. The picture of sans was in black and white on the thumbnail and it reminded me of some game/animation i heard about that criticized the communist revolution or sth alongs those lines so i thought they might be related. Then i learned more about it and got very much into it later on. I joined amino and went through and undertale phase where i only wore blue hoodies. Yeah, i also had times when i was hella cringe.

MGRR: memes Jack, the DNA of the soul...

Hollow Knight: i played a game called Soul Knight on the phone and sometimes accidentally got wrong results when searching for that game. Then i saw a vid where Sad-ist kept trolling a guy who was playing the game for the first time and so i decided to try it out. Never regretted it.

One Piece.

Oh how I got introduced? Well I was watching supernatural (tv show) was saying to someone to watch it its good, tho it's quite long... They said it's nothing compared to anime, I said are you sure? They said idk I think so (I think) or asked how long supernatural was, I said there's 13 season or something and it's 40 mins... They compared it to one piece and dared me to watch it because I thought it wasn't hard to do but at that time I thought anime was weird and never watched anime... So one day I was like... Let's watch anime, or the anime... So I forgot the name, I tried finding it but instead my first anime became one punch man on sub... I watch it... Felt very wierd but still felt good kinda watching it... And I could feel what was happening, then watched more animes then somehow found highschool dxd or something and really liked it... Which then started my journey with those types of anime 🌚then watch naruto... Then some more by that point I'm like in the beginning of one piece in dub, I realized then one punch man had dub as well and got mad.... And then people are saying lol you watch dub? Not to me but in general and I was like b shut thr f up, and then I watched one piece more and more and the same time finished naruto and was always confused who I thought was better I always said that I don't have a fav anime, they are just that good that they can't be compared... Then I continued and continued to watch more one piece... And I said the same statement and realized that it wasn't true and that one piece is better, then watched much more animes then back to one piece to post timeskip and realized how good one piece truly is compared to everything else and then the debating bs has come... Around zou or whole cake island is where I found the bs vs thing and left ans and right I see delusional people saying **** like they know everything.... Im like hmm??? Then I realized how bs they are and become angry then tiktok existed in this debate bs and that's where my mind went angrier then any anime character, EVEN WHEN I PROVED THEM WRONG TGEY WERE STILL DELUSIONAL... (this tiktok thing is quite recent I have definitely skipped alot with what am saying but 🤷‍♂️) I was saying where do you live nearly every day, I never got it... now my brain is blank, and I there is too much texts behind me to see what I have said but yee something like that, also I switched to sub like in marineford or something and it's much much better, the dub not that bad tho and yee I switched because some shows have no dub and is very behind which then I felt much more emotion and originality from sub. Bye.

Oh the appreciation part? 🤔🤔🤔, hmm probably wouldn't be here or I would've become much much stronger physically then mentally but instead now has made my mentality much much better to the point if I am going to reach my body equal to my mental, I would need to become the strongest... Man, I'm trash explaining shit, but yee tho not all of it is from one piece, probably 56-75% max is

Bye

hmm probably wouldn't be here
Actually nah, I would still be here... I was too strong and weak to even try it

Last edited:
Aight so

Pokemon: Heard rumors about the whole apelepsy controversy and my parents wouldn't let me watch it. I then got into games and played fire red on a random site and liked it a lot and then got into it, watching the origins anime and finally joining in for real.

Kirby: got into it around the same time as pokemon but no wackyness here. I saw Kirby Right Back At Ya and played Amazing Mirror and i loved it. Got into it right away.

Godzilla: I randomly decided to watch Godzilla once because i kinda went on a cinema spree. I watched the 2014 version, loved it, watched the 1954 version, also loved it and i was pretty much sold. I also developed a love for extremely large things so like, a reverse megalophobia.

Tower of God: the anime came out, everyone hyped the story up and i couldn't wait for the next episode and so i found a pasttime while waiting for online classes to end.

Jojo: I once heard that there was a reference to Jojo in undertale. I then one day finally watched it after going in circles around it for a while.

Undertale: i one day found the piano version of megalovania. The picture of sans was in black and white on the thumbnail and it reminded me of some game/animation i heard about that criticized the communist revolution or sth alongs those lines so i thought they might be related. Then i learned more about it and got very much into it later on. I joined amino and went through and undertale phase where i only wore blue hoodies. Yeah, i also had times when i was hella cringe.

MGRR: memes Jack, the DNA of the soul...

Hollow Knight: i played a game called Soul Knight on the phone and sometimes accidentally got wrong results when searching for that game. Then i saw a vid where Sad-ist kept trolling a guy who was playing the game for the first time and so i decided to try it out. Never regretted it.
All based goat responses

MLP: I was into it when my sibling introduced watched it and I started watching it and for some reason I liked it and got into it more years later

Steven Universe: I liked how the gems fused and how they each have their own unique personality, plus that soundtrack was amazing, and the movie was quite sick even though SU: Future was hard to watch some scenes

MCU: the first movies I watched was GoTG 1 and 2 and I loved them a lot, and then I watched Infinity War and Endgame and they were both epic. Years later I played the Spider-Man games on ps5 and wanted to watch the Spider-Man movies and then I wanted to watch the MCU in timeline order and boom, I’m now a Marvel fan always excited for the next movie/series

Star Wars: I was very into those movies when I was younger, especially the prequel trilogy. Heck even watching the first 2 sequel movies in theaters was quite the experience. But when the 3rd sequel movie came out, I kinda lost interest and found that the latest ones lost their luster overtime, but then I got back into the franchise lately when I started watching the Kenobi series for the first time, and now my interest for the series has been ignited once again

Pokémon: Those games were the only ones I ever played on the 3DS and I was addicted, even if they have lost their luster in the recent games, I still enjoy them every now and then. I also really liked the XY anime, and found it extremely hype anytime a new episode came out

DBZ: I liked watching the fight scenes on YouTube and I liked looking at the character’s power levels to find out how strong they were

Sonic: I was introduced to the franchise when I was playing Mario and Sonic for the wii, and I thought his games looked so cool and so fast when I watched people play them on YouTube. Sonic Forces was also hype even if I didn’t play it that much.

Mario Bros: I played those games on the Wii when I was younger and I have loved them a lot and still do to this day

Digimon: While I was into Pokémon, I also liked this show/franchise just as equally even if I didn’t realize how complex it

Ultra Series and Kamen Rider. They both have roughly the same reasons; I've known them for as long as I've been alive. Pretty much, because no matter how hard I think about it, I always come to the same conclusion. These two are practically the driving force of my imaginations, from day 1 of me having gained consciousness.

But little did I know, that's part 1. As I grew older, I realize they really aren't just dudes in suits. There's a cohesion, there's story, but most importantly, there's heart. With a vast wealth of genre to go with, juggled together in a showbiz that's gone on for 50 years and still going strong today, both these franchise have offered an almost endless stream of entertainment that can range from insanity to actually thought-provoking. And that's just the surface, but this is about how one was introduced to their favorites.

Me, I suppose you can say I was effectively born into it.

With that out of the way, let's see to the other ones I have listed in my fandom profile:

*Godzilla
Kind of similar, but also not as I know I did not grow up with it. It's basically another Ultraman, as far as I cared back then. Yeah, imagine that, a reversal of the typical Godzilla to other Toku migration pattern. But yeah, it was another Tokusatsu franchise, and I liked the cut of Ultraman and Kamen Rider's jibs.

*Warhammer 40K
2017, if I'm not wrong. I just... found it. I think the Primaris calc had something to do with it as well. If not, for the very fact I had a weapons pack mod of it in Blockland all the way back in 2014 instead. Things of course, spiraled from there as I went on to do research. Of the items, the background, the lore. Now am here.

*Dragon Ball
Similar to Godzilla, really. Funnily enough, though, I actually knew this from a super young age.

*Touhou Project
2008. One of my cousins, or my youngest uncle, had us all in his room. He put up Hisoutensoku, and we all had our turns in it. I can tell it was Hisouten because I recall Tenshi being playable very vividly. Surprisingly, despite being my first ever Touhou game, it was also where I happened to already have Youmu as best girl. If other 2hu fools disagree, put it in the complaint box because Ion read that shit.

Now, for some honorable mention(s).

*One Piece
Another childhood memory thing. But it wasn't until 2017 when I actually had a level of curiosity about it by browsing through the pages available on vsbattles. Fast forward 2019, I watched Super Eyepatch Wolf's video and I felt hooked but still also overwhelmed. 2020 rolled around, avid watcher of Totally Not Mark, who decided to go with One Piece. I felt I should also be up to date, and so I did. Started early October where I caught up to Skypiea in 3 days or so, had a 3 week pause, and continued the rest of the way to 1012 I think by early December. Have been keeping up since.

Johnny Test: I believe I got into the show sometime during 5th or 6th grade. I remember watching it when I was very little (like 5 or 6 years old), but I had no idea what was going on lol. But anyways, I have good memories watching this show. Seeing all the hate it got back then is a bit saddening, because I think the show is hella underappreciated. Of course, the show took a turn for the worse during Seasons 5 and 6, but the first 4 Seasons of Johnny Test are unironically one of my favorite shows to watch. The Netflix Revival is also really solid, too, and I'm really hoping that Netlfix gives the show a 3rd Seasons, as it is one of the most popular kid shows on the platform (I'm not joking, too). I'm basically the sole reason why Johnny Test became a somewhat relevant verse, despite being the only supporter of the verse. Like, people started spamming Johnny Test matchups throughout October-December of last year, and I was really proud of that. I have somewhat abandoned the verse, as so far, there hasn't been any news about the revival, but I haven't abandoned my love for the show.
Same tho I saw no hate and just watched cartoons... 🐵
Professional Wrestling: I think I first watched WWE back in like 2011 or 2012. Since then, I've been hooked to the verse. There have been so many incredible stories that were told in and outside of the ring, and I truly believe that at its best, Pro Wrestling is one of the most entertaining things you can watch. Me, along with many, many others, fought tooth and nail for Pro Wrestling to become a verse. Look where it is now. The supporters of the verse have clearly shown that they're passionate about the verse (maybe a bit too passionate sometimes). We have made tons of threads about the verse (for better or for worse). This is most likely the verse I will never lose interest in anytime soon. The fact that the WWE is still going strong for decades really shows a lot. There are only few, if any TV shows imo that will have the legacy WWE will have if it ever goes out of production, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Same... The sole reason why there was so much fighting around me, that's good... Very appreciated of it plus the games as well

Warhammer 40k: Saw a random TTS video in my recommended and decided to click on it. Realized it was one in a series so I watched the whole thing and got hooked. Read up more on the lore and yeah.

MCU: Watched Thor the Dark World as my first movie. Thought it sucked but then I watched Guardians of the Galaxy later on and then Age of Ultron and I got hooked on it.

Star Wars: Watched RotS when I was around 10 or so and then binged all the movies in like a week.

Destiny: One of the more recent ones. My friend got me into playing Destiny 2 with him and I got hooked. Read some of the lore and watched a few lore videos and realized the lore was really deep.

Jojo: Literally just the memes

Bigsmoke has gotten me interesting in watching some series such as breaking bad, Slippin jimmy, both boss baby films, and I watched a single cool cat film because of him idk why he makes me interested in these verse and I think he’s like James dean but for wack ass verses

I got into Sam and Max (verse being scaled rn uvu) because I saw one of those videos where it was like “Sam and Max gay moments” I got into it expecting MLM stuff where it’s there and it’s a nice head canon (fun to think they’re married) but not canon although the verse is really funny to me and I just like a doggie detective tbh uvu

For WWE I got into it because I’d watch it with my dad quite often we went to my cousins house to watch the pay per view matches we’d turn off the lights to watch the undertaker come in it was epic uvu

BFDI was a verse I’ve been into since I was a very small child I remember watching it right after swim practice and just hoarding the family computer to watch the series when it came back with BFB I was into it uvu

Also some verses such as Popeye and Looney Tunes are just neat .w. I have a lengthy doc on Popeye and his original toons actually

In order from when I first got into my favorite series

Digimon: Watched the first three series Adventures, 02, and Tamers in my childhood thanks to CDs my grandfather bought for us. Kept up with the series for a long time and I still am now. Though I haven't really played some of the older Digimon games. And I still need to finish Digimon Survive but college is a thing so uhhhhh.

Ultra Series: Same as above. Watched the CDs of Ultraman Tiga and basically became a fan of the series ever since I was a kid. Eventually got to finishing all the Heisei series before going back to watch the Showa series. Dropped the series for a while due to the New Gen series at the time R/B being kind of slow also life happened but I eventually got back and caught up after seeing spoilers of Greeza returning in Ultraman Z.

One Piece: My uncle introduced me to shonen animes like Naruto and Bleach when I went over to his house during winter break in elementary. After watching those I eventually came across One Piece after my cousin showed me an episode of it while the anime was in the Punk Hazard Arc. Started from episode 1 and caught up after about a month. Now its probably one of my favorite manga and one of the thing I look forward to every week.

Puella Magi Series: Stumbled across this while I was searching for recommended animes about 5 years ago after seeing the Mami vs Homura fight on a top 10 list. Was in the mood for magical girl stuff during that time as I still remember watching Cardcaptor Sakura in my childhood so I gave this a try and ohhh boy was episode 3 a surprise when I first watched it. Loved the original series and many of the side story mangas but i haven't really been keeping up with the Magia Record stories. Definitely my favorite anime original series though and I'm looking forward to the upcoming sequel to Rebellion whenever that comes out.

DanMachi (Familia Myth): Wanted to find an ordinary fantasy series to read/watch now that the genre is saturated with isekais and was recommended this by an IRL friend. He was at first hesitant at recommending it to me due to the English title and I'll be honest I was too as I thought it was some kind of ecchi series. But then I watched it and got hooked especially after that minotaur fight in season 1. Currently my favorite light novel series due to the zero to hero and dungeon crawling premise on top of a lovable cast. But god damn is the release of the novels slow.

Mega Man: i played this game when i only 3 years old,my dad introduced to me and i stick with this game likely 16 years and still love it
this is the verse i stick longest
Brrruuuuuh this is gonna make me go on a whole different trip Megaman is the shit I've got the X and classic legacy collections downloaded on my ps5 right now and the zero collection ready to be swapped out and played

Got introduced to TTGL by either Netflix or a music video for it. What led up to either one of those was just looking around pretty much, and it's my fav anime to this day

Got introduced to DB by my bro. He was just watching it in the living room, and it seemed pretty cool, so I watched w him, and would be hyped when Kai played on Nickelodeon

Got introduced to PSG by Studio Trigger, because I was a huge fan of their work so I looked into it more. It was pretty much South Park, but anime and whatnot, and I find myself talking like Panty pretty often

I don't watch anime nowadays, and I haven't felt anything close to me in a very long time like these 3 have

Last edited:
Kamen Rider and Super Sentai: Seen since I was 2. In my childhood, I would watch Agito and Gaoranger for daily on repeat. It was dubbed in another language so I didn't know the names so I googled it like 10 years later and found it again. Fully got back into it when Decade aired. Became addicted ever since.

Power Rangers: During the break from Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, I watch Power Rangers on repeat. Watched until RPM. I remember liking SPD, Dino Thunder and Mystic Force a lot. Eventually, I got to watch all the seasons of PR before RPM. Kid me got hyped for Wild Force because I watched Gaoranger all the time.

Tom and Jerry: The old ones specifically. Love them both. My favorite cartoon of all time. Played on repeat and still doesn't get old.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: First game I ever played. Didn't play it as much but it has a special place in my heart.

Pokemon Emerald: First Pokemon game I ever played. Lost count on how many times I played through this game. I think I fielded every Pokemon in the region at least once in my main team. Eventually got to play most games. Ultra Sun and Moon is probably the last time I got really engaged into Pokemon tho.

Fire Emblem 8: This game is probably the game I played the most ever. I still play it to this day but I just randomize it every time. Eventually got to play most of the FE games (except for the old ones). I really enjoyed the Tellius games even more so than three houses.

WWE: Ever since I watched John Cena vs Kurt Angle, I got hooked into it. I used to watch it so much, now not as much tho. I still watch Ups and Downs.

Ultraman: Never been a fan until Mebius. Mebius got me in and I came back at X, Orb and Z. Love the Zero Movies. yea, toku has been a huge part of my life.

Yugioh: In an Asian dominated school, the best Yugioh players are the bad boys. I was not one of them but I did love going against my friends any chance we got to play. Everyone in my friend group played and had our decks ready at anytime.

Marvel: Randomly came across the "I'm always angry" scene on YouTube and got addicted to it

One-Punch Man: My best friend at school claimed he was the strongest hero and told me he was bald

Star Wars: My dad is a very big Star Wars fan, and I think I got interested in it because of him

BoBoiBoy: Watched a lot of Malay shows because that is my Mother Tongue

Back