• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DarkDragonMedeus

Hard Working Individual
He/Him
VS Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Carrying some debates from this blog. Antvasima has asked to make this thread. As well as plenty of other verses such as One-Punch Ma also have issues like this.

Looking up at Google Translate, the very first thing that pops up is the Japanese word Hoshi (µÿƒ) means star. However, we all know how how unreliable Google translate is. Furthermore, that word has very consistently meant planet or star interchangeably. Because, in a Japanese dictionary or Thesaurus, plenty of things point to planets and stars being synonyms or that a giant ball of matter in space is called a star. Not just stars, but planets, moons, comets, and asteroids have frequently been called stars throughout many fictional works. And this is especially true in various works originating in Japan.

Now to cut to the chase, two thinks we take note is that context is more important than a specific word or dictionary definitions. And feats are also more important than statements for the most part; unless the statement has enough elaboration or specific context to make it legitimate. Boros' feat is a perfect example of this. His final attack has the word Hoshi used in Japanese context; which fan translations confirm that means star, but refers to planet given the interchangeable translations. But the context "I'm going to shave the star/planet" and the fact that he was litally aiming towards planet Earth implies planet makes more sense in the context. Since both translations are both equally accurate, the context makes planet more sense here.

But for the Eclipse Cannon in Sonic the Hedgehog (The Universe), the Eclipse Cannon has interchangeable statements. In Shadow the Hedgehog, it is stated that the Eclipse Cannon can "Pierce the stars". And in Sonic Adventure 2, it states that it can "Destroy the Planet" in the English dub. And we have fan translations from Windi stating that it "Pierces the Stars" in both dialogues. And at the same time, there are both games mentioning that "They are going to destroy the planet" in other cut scenes. And listing all the calculated feats, we have a City Busting feat calculated at 6-B which was done with the empowerment with 5 out of 7 Chaos Emeralds. Destroying a large part of the moon calculated at 5-B+ originally in the blog, but recalculated at Low 5-B as seen below in the comments and listed somewhere on DarkAnine's wall that he's okay with that, which was done with 6 out of 7 Chaos Emeralds. And lastly, with all 7 Chaos Emeralds, it just has a bunch of statements ranging from pierce the stars to destroying the planet. It was about to be fired and destroy the Earth in Sonic Adventure 2, as well as when Biolizard merges with it to crash onto the Earth. And in one route, Black Doom says in the same video where piercing the stars is mentioned, says he's going to use it and all 7 Chaos Emeralds to fulfill the retribution, which is to destroy the planet. And the only other time it was actually fired was when it was used to destroy the Black Comment, which we don't know durable it is so calculating that would not be very relevant.

So in conclusion, it's decided we should go by accurate translators here instead of relying on English localizations, and that the Japanese word Hoshi can mean planets or stars, and we should go by context and/or feats rather than word definitions and assuming, "It said star in all of these translations, so it means star" for how such statements and would be feats are treated.

Open for more thoughts, but preferably it should be heard from more staff input as well as those familiar with the Japanese language.

I'm not sure how relevant the sonic thing is here, but don't we already do this?

Also, why wouldn't we take the localizations? Don't they need to be approved by the original source?

The thread is mostly about what context we accept for Eclipse Cannon as you can see in the blog. Some other verses listed are mainly examples of this. And there are plenty of examples discussed on the blogs on how inconsistent and unreliable localisations have been. The goal is to go by the most accurate an reliable context; simple as that.

Was a thread really necessary for something as obvious as this one? If a language uses a vague word to call something, you use context to understand it. There's really nothing worth making a thread for.

I mean if both the respected fan translators and one of the games English version say that it's star, I don't see how them blowing up a planet's a contradiction. You can absolutely blow up a planet with a tier 4 weapon, it's not like the planet's established as a hard cap, and it would seem odd for some technological marvel like the Eclipse Cannon to not even let you control the power you wanna expend anyways.

""They are going to destroy the planet" in other cut scenes""

That statment was about the Ark crashing into the Earth, not the cannon

"And listing all the calculated feats, we have a [City Busting feat calculated at 6-B which was done with the empowerment with 5 out of 7 Chaos Emeralds. Destroying a large part of the moon calculated at 5-B+ originally in the blog, but recalculated at Low 5-B as seen below in the comments and listed somewhere on DarkAnine's wall that he's okay with that, which was done with 6 out of 7 Chaos Emeralds."

The first feat was a warning shot against the president and again not even at full power, the second the same, and seeing how one emerald boosted the cannon from low 6-B to low 5-B with a warning shot, there's nothing against it increasing to 5-A (the accepted end) with the actual full power

"It was about to be fired and destroy the Earth in Sonic Adventure 2, as well as when Biolizard merges with it to crash onto the Earth"

This is a AoE fallacy, just because they were planning to destroy the planet doesn't mean they can only destroy the planet and nothing more, and the Final Hazard is already 5-A and everything

"And in one route, Black Doom says in the same video where piercing the stars is mentioned,, says he's going to use it and all 7 Chaos Emeralds to destroy humanity"

He never says that he is going to destroy humanity, only he will fulfil the prosperity ritual, which is revealed in the last story (1:00) that's teleporting the Black Comett to the Earth, not destroy humanity

All in all nothing contradicts the star statment

The problem isn't that "A Tier 4 weapon can destroy a planet" the problem is that there's 0 evidence that it can destroy stars given the contradicting word "Hoshi". And yes, the Black Comet was going to bring ruin to the Earth, but that's still not quite a Tier 4 feat. It's also preferable to calculate feats that actually happen on screen instead of relying on vague statements based on one word that doesn't exactly have a consistent meaning. Mainly other verses used star in every English translation and still only got accepted as planet level.

Still, I mainly made this by Antvasima's request, and would prefer to here from more staff before doing anything.

Except every single translation, both official and fan, uses stars and the Eclipse Cannon never fired at full power at anything and all statments were too show how powerful it is by both characters knoweledble on the cannon and Gerald, and that word has been consistanly been used as star in literaly every single translation, so in this case it has consistanly the meaning of star, and DDM, the feat is still tier 5 as well, the accepted end was high into 5-A, not tier 4

Statments can be used unless contradicted and that statment in neither contradicted nor a mistranlation for reasons already explained

Wok already gave his thoughts, but if you want even more than alright

Please, show us this imaginary dub of Black Doom stating the Eclipse Cannon will destroy the planet in that same line that was used.

The sub for the line is stars, the dub is stars for all the ones i could find. Windii used the word stars for the line and I am really not seeing any reason to be doubting his skill in him determining it be accurate to the context.

The Everlasting said this.

I feel like just using the English version of something doesn't really help. Final Fantasy XV consistently calls the planet a star in the English localization.

Also, Wokistan hasn't really commented on the main premise but just questioned it. And assuming "Hoshi" means star by default is kind of the same thing as saying Sekai (Japanese word for World) means Universe by default.

Also, planet statement comes from this

Wokistan said:
I mean if both the respected fan translators and one of the games English version say that it's star, I don't see how them blowing up a planet's a contradiction. You can absolutely blow up a planet with a tier 4 weapon, it's not like the planet's established as a hard cap, and it would seem odd for some technological marvel like the Eclipse Cannon to not even let you control the power you wanna expend anyways.
I think this is a comment

Again though, you said yourself that both the fan translation and the official one use star. With the other verses, I'm pretty sure the fans disagree and call it a planet.

We are not doing what Ever said at all, we are both using the English version and realible fan translations, unless anyone can debunk the translations outside the fact hoshi has many meanings even though people who live in Japan and translate things for a living said it was star, that goes above peoples interpretations

I mean if both the respected fan translators and one of the games English version say that it's star, I don't see how them blowing up a planet's a contradictio

This is very clearly about the main premise and let's stop talking about what people meant by what they say when they are straight up here

The Contradiction is just the word Hoshi; it just means celestial object, it doesn't mean star by default. And I brought up the Final Fantasy XV example. The planet they're on is called star by both the localization and called Hoshi in the Japanese version. So the number of things that simply use the word star/Hoshi don't really hold up a lot of weight.

Except the fans who know japanese translated it as star and not as planet and anything else, the FF analogy Falls flat when we aren't only using the English translation but also respected fan ones

But this isn't final fantasy where the translations are contradictory, it apparently was translated as the same thing by both parties with the fan translation even translating the planet ones as star, according to you.

That was Black Doom playing the self fulfilling prophet; which is very common for a lot of villains. And basically the "Death is their only salvation" attitude. And it's the exact same context that the word Hoshi is used in the original Japanese version regarding both verses.

This is so obvious.

Unless there's contextual proof that it's a star, don't assume it's talking about them. Specially when we're dealing with series mostly set on a single planet and where the threat of the planet being destroyed is what's primarily being conveyed.

Yeah, we are assuming they are talking about the stars because the direct line is translated in English for us with whom worked on making it story context accurate between languages. The meaning for the line context was given with the official translation to begin with.

Except literaly every single translation uses stars from people who know their language like their back of their hand and the actual game itself, and both statments were refering to how strong the Eclipse Cannon can be so the context of it destroying the planet is irrelevant, plus Black Doom statment wasn't about destroying the planet

Black Doom straight up says, explicitaly so, the he would keep humans alive as energy sources for his children, and that's show when the little Black Arms try to eat Sonic and Co

The FF analogy still falls flat when literaly every single translation both official and fan uses stars intead of planet, Hoshi meaning many things doesn't make a interpretation better than people actualy knoweledge on the language

English localization make bad translations all the time; NoA Zelda for instance using "Rule over the Cosmos" when the Japanese version said Sekai, which means World. And World doesn't mean universe by default. So Hoshi shouldn't mean star by default. Also, I agree with Matt that if the consistency is clearly just a planetary threat, we simply treat "Hoshi" statements as planetary feats. If scaling is used, sure but this isn't about the scaling but just the specific feat. Matthew Schroeder is also knowledgable on the series and is familiar with Hoshi statements as well, so he's just as if not more credible than Windi.

You seem to be ignoring how by your own admission, the fan double check actually corroborates star, as opposed to contradicting it.

I don't really do verses that need translation from other languages (besides berserk but there's not been issues with that), but my understanding is that the other star/planet stuff went to planet because fan double checks said planet instead. Well, you yourself say that isn't happening here. Therefore, there's not really a reason to go to that.

The entire point DDM is that it isn't only the official translation but literaly everyone who is knoweledge on both the series and japanese translated it as star

We aren't assuming it's star, we have proof that it is because of numerous translations versus actualy assuming it's planet because hoshi means many things

It doesn't fall flat, because anyone both fan and official can translate it to mean star. The Final Fantasy example doesn't fall flat at all and is 100% correlated to the Sonic example. Arguing against it is called double standard. Trust me, I have been looking up far more threads regarding the translations that have consistently only approved it as meaning planet.

why even bring that up then

The final fantasy example also really doesn't apply. They said a weapon can destroy stars, not that it was going to destroy the star that they were standing on or whatever. Wouldn't be the only star busting death ray anyways and it's not like people out here tanking the eclipse cannon

No it isn't because those "fans" are people who translate things for a living and translated multiple times, they have actual knowlege so they are valid

The example is flat because only the English version saud so, no people knowlege translated it as well

At this point you are making your opinion>>>>actual statments, which isn't valid

I'm beginning to realize despite how broken he is, Archie Sonic's lore makes more sense than Game Sonic's

Hoshi can literally mean a comet or satellite. Default assumption aint even a planet.

Seeing as how the english version gives context behind the word's multiple usage by using said term as star. Its pretty obvious.

It's not just my opinion, it's the very standards of this very wiki. And no, people literally have fan translated Final Fantasy XV's planet to mean star just as much as Sonic has. So yes it does hold the weight. And words aside, the context and the literal plot of the game is focused on treating it as a Planetary feat. And saying it can mean comet or satellite only weakens the argument that "It means star."

But it's a totally different scenario there. That's a blatant contradiction, but there's no such example here.

Got any proof that we assume planet no matter what and not that we've assumed planet in the past due to people being able to successfully argue that other things, be they alt translations or context, are contradictory?

It's not even like appeal to tradition is infallible but that's just more tedious to change and I don't really have a stake in it to justify spending time on that

It isn't "Planet no matter what" it's just English localization hold 0 weight at all period. And we clearly see it being aimed at the planet rather than the sun and it never actually demonstrated planet busting feats let alone star piercing feats. So planet is the more consistent and contextual standard being used here.

Both Triforce and Matt appear to be reasonable here.

It also wasn't even allowed to fire until it was pointed at the black comet

The fact that they were threatening a planet also isn't really contradictory anyways. The gun's said to be able to pop stars, and they threaten to blow up a planet with it. Okay, cool. The latter doesn't cancel the former because it's not like eggman is like "at full power, it will finally blow up the planet" or something else that implies the planet's an upper limit.

Mephistus said:
Hoshi can literally mean a comet or satellite. Default assumption aint even a planet.

Seeing as how the english version gives context behind the word's multiple usage by using said term as star. Its pretty obvious.
Heavenly body and star are the most common usage of µÿƒ in japanese when refering to both Planets and Stars. So in most cases, the conclusion heavily relies on context to determine the meaning the writer intends to use for µÿƒ

Not arguing for or against. Just explaining how this wiki should start treating µÿƒ with caution

Also ngl but saying the English version holds absolutely zero weight seems kinda insane imo. It's ultimately still the product that is sent out and experienced, and the product that is what is being analyzed. While some mishaps will happen, buy and large if a company is willing to allow for the release of a game translated in such a state it does not consider the result sufficiently objectionable to withhold a release which means we shouldn't just eschew it entirely. Consider it subordinate to fan translations? Sure, I don't really give a ****, but I think it can still be useful here and there.

(yes I do mean as a general thing with this)

Back