• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hollow Knight General Discussion thread - Hallownest awakens

Key_Art_02_layeredjpg.jpg

Good job with the calc. Did you post it in the evaluation request thread?
I am still working. I want a big blog with all forms of attacks next to the lumaflies. This includes nailarts spells as well as the slash enhanced in length by charms.

If it's even late 2025 I'll be content, they've clearly been working hard and I can't be ungrateful to such passionate devs.

Last edited:

Made the video. At this point it is just gonna be too tiring comparing every single freaking attack frame perfect to electricity so I will from now on just calculate the distance the attack travelled and the frames and then just compare them to electricity in the same vid.

Thanks. We now have a solid feat. I'll try to get more later but rn my goal is to work out the speed feats. After that I think I'll try crystal calcs and maybe sth else.
Did you try the Hollow Knight shaking the black egg temple with just a roar? I'm not sure how good a shaking calc is going to be with such low values but it could be decent with the new size

How do you just get someone to accept a calc so fast? I've been trying to get my calc for one verse accepted for a month now with no luck. And it's a pretty standard calc as well 😭
Sheesh man, I felt that 💀 I asked him directly since me and him are cool (though I try not to make it a habit). But generally going to one's wall (AFTER you attempted to promote in in that CRT promotion thread) is usually alright so long as you don't pester repeatedly.

Did you try the Hollow Knight shaking the black egg temple with just a roar? I'm not sure how good a shaking calc is going to be with such low values but it could be decent with the new size
Probably not calculable. Actually it probably is but in a different way and I doubt it'd give good results. Earthquake calcs don't work here since it needs like 150 meters to be accepted. Otherwise I think there's the speed of movement in an earthquake used in a KE calc if we can figure out the size of the temple

After looking at it, I don't see the shaking. It's camera shake but not actual shaking. To prove my point, actual shaking happens when you open the mantis village doors. The effect is not the same here.

Actually nvm you probably mean the first moments when he isn't roaring but is getting out of his seals which is indeed shaking. Problem is, he is shaking the room he is in, not the temple. This means the calc would give is basically nothing.

I'm glad that HK's finally getting some love. I wanted to take on this verse (and I made an Essence Physiology thread to start with) but I bit off way too much for how new I was to the site. Having been here for about a year now, I'd love to help with this verse if you guys would have me.

I'm glad that HK's finally getting some love. I wanted to take on this verse (and I made an Essence Physiology thread to start with) but I bit off way too much for how new I was to the site. Having been here for about a year now, I'd love to help with this verse if you guys would have me.
I actually wanted to do some HK stuff here as well but I'm mostly busy with GoH rn. Plus I don't have access to proper tools for pixel measurements, so I can't exactly do calcs for most of the feats I wanted to.

Plus I don't have access to proper tools for pixel measurements, so I can't exactly do calcs for most of the feats I wanted to.
Same here, but I've got a lot of plans for the P&A and scaling between characters, as well as some more subtle lore details that could give stuff.

In the Dream No More ending the black egg temple turns into void and disappears. Also there's a quote from Elderbug about the stone in the ancient basin having a will of its own. Doesn't this imply that the black egg temple and the rock in the ancient basin are made of void, and so void can change into physical material? In which case the knight with voidheart should have creation since the void is unified under its will (or would it count as shapeshifting for void? Not 100% sure how you'd classify it)

In the Dream No More ending the black egg temple turns into void and disappears. Also there's a quote from Elderbug about the stone in the ancient basin having a will of its own. Doesn't this imply that the black egg temple and the rock in the ancient basin are made of void, and so void can change into physical material? In which case the knight with voidheart should have creation since the void is unified under its will (or would it count as shapeshifting for void? Not 100% sure how you'd classify it)
Given that Void is also referred to as "nothingness", and that the Arcane Eggs are just petrified Void iirc, it's probably just Shapeshifting. It does mean that pure Void would get Resistance To Petrification, though.

Given that Void is also referred to as "nothingness", and that the Arcane Eggs are just petrified Void iirc, it's probably just Shapeshifting. It does mean that pure Void would get Resistance To Petrification, though.
why would it resist petrification? Petrification is just glorified transmutation, not actual physical chemical petrification.

also since the black egg temple is way bigger on the inside than the room its in, could void get spatial manipulation?

also since the black egg temple is way bigger on the inside than the room its in, could void get spatial manipulation?
Maybe a "possibly"? I mean, we really don't get to see the full extent of the Black Egg Temple, so we can't say for sure. We'd also need proof that TC intended for the Void to make the space within bigger, as otherwise, that can just be chalked up to the artstyle.

Nah. The tunnel opens up and leads you inside which means we could have just shifted perspective and are going frontally.
4J8haKr.png

We also don't really know how the black temple looks from behind so it could also just be really long and we simply can't see it from that perspective.
We also don't know who exactly made the temple itself so in the end we don't know who gets it either.

after the egg disappears Hornet is in the middle of the room where the egg was placed, not some other location down a tunnel. There's even a crater where the egg previously sat, and the crater is circular in shape and no bigger than the egg was from the outside. Fair point about not knowing who made the temple (PROBABLY the king but we can't say for sure), but wouldn't it apply to void in general since void was used to make it?

also going by how the entrance to the temple is presented the egg would have its back facing the side of the temple, which we can see from the outside does not reach into the distance

So, I've got a bit of a tangent that I might make into a full post, but here goes:

I want to see if we can scale the Soul Sanctum members for how much SOUL they have. Spells require a minimum of 24 "SOUL points" (for lack of a better term) to be used, with a maximum of 22 "SOUL points" being extractable from a basic enemy, like a Vengefly, for instance (these numbers come from the amount of SOUL used for a Spell with Spell Twister equipped and the amount of SOUL gained when one-shotting an enemy with both Soul Catcher and Soul Eater equipped, respectively.). This means that each individual bug's SOUL is worth 22/24, or about 92% of the SOUL used within a Spell. If we could calc the AP of basic Spells (by calc'ing Vengeful Spirit and Desolate Dive one-shotting stone walls and floors, respectively), we could take 92% of that number and multiply it. In each SOUL Cache in the Sanctum, there are three distinct SOULs, meaning that the fodder enemies within the Sanctum should scale to three times that 92% amount.

Basically, our formula would be:
Ninety-two percent of A equals P; P times three equals D.
(92% * A) * 3 = D
With A being the number we get from our calc, P being the AP of a single SOUL, and D being the AP of a fodder Soul Sanctum enemy, such as a Folly or Mistake. The other Sanctum enemies would scale above this.

A point that I'd like to address is that while you can get infinite SOUL from enemies with the Dream Nail, bugs clearly don't have infinite SOUL within each of them, so I consider that a gameplay mechanic.

I might sound completely incoherent, but that's because I'm just really not that good with arithmetic. I still think a method like this would be viable, though.

No, that would rely on game mechanics that aren't a stated part of the lore and thus would not be allowed by wiki standards

No, that would rely on game mechanics that aren't a stated part of the lore and thus would not be allowed by wiki standards
I know game mechanics aren't typically allowed, but even just going by "each bug has one soul, Soul Caches have three souls, Mistakes and Follies were infused with souls and are at least three times more powerful than basic enemies and other Sanctum enemies scale above them" should work fine. No game mechanics there. It also checks out with Quirrel stating that the SOUL used by the Sanctum is more powerful than the energy harnessed by the crystals in Crystal Peak. Quirrel's exact quote is "The crystal ore is said to contain a sort of energy, not as powerful as the soul the city dwellers harnessed, but far less lethal."

I can talk about who would scale to the Sanctum members, but I don't want to get into that until I can be sure that my reasoning is valid.

Ok whoever calc requested my incomplete calc without my permission, I wish you 50 losses in your HK playthrough. I now have to argue why method is better and probably have to remake my freaking pixel scaling because someone really likes paint.com for some reason.

Back