• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Good News Regarding Kyoto Animation

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
I have good news to everyone who was moved and hurt by the tragedy that befell KyoAni on July 18th of this year. A truly horrific event that left a devastating blow not only for the Anime Industry but to Japan as a whole.

However, not all is pain and lost, and the incident did inspire a never-before seen mobilization amongst the worldwide Anime Community to support the victims of the fire, and since then positive news such as the construction of an official Memorial on the site of the burned building, and the discovery that a lot of the studio's work had survived the fire in a mostly preserved state. And now I bring what is probably the best news of all.

As of today, at least 34 victims that were left injured in the Kyoto Animation fire are no longer in life-threatening situatio, meaning that they will live through this tragedy and be able to continue on with their lives.

As a total of 70 people were inside the building during the day of the arsonist attack, this means that 50% of the KyoAni staff survived the fire. This, when coupled with over 2.5 billion yen gathered in donations to support the studio, means that it is possible that Kyoto Animation will be able to live on in some form, and that the tragedy of July 18th won't mark the permanent end for the life of these talented and passionate individuals.

This brings me a lot of joy, just the fact that something this terrible had a happy ending, it doesn't matter much what particular studio it was

I am happy about that the international anime community came together to make a difference, but let's not forget that lots of wonderful people still lost their lives, and their families have to live with that, so I wouldn't call it a happy ending, just considerably less bad than it could have been.

Yeah I understand that, it's just what came to mind at the moment and I didn't think using a different word would be necessary

Wow that's good to hear, and its a miracle that the work even survived. These studios are pretty much the Library of Alexandria to us in the community. Never the less as we see here the Reiwa period is already rifed with a tragic beginning.

This is really great. I'm glad to hear that KyoAni is making a slow and steady recovery after these tragic happenings.

My heart and soul goes out to the families and friends of the victims that were so tragically lost, and to the people who survived and is now in recovery.

An update:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191019_08

To quote:

The president of Kyoto Animation has held his first news conference since the deadly arson attack on the company's studio three months ago. The incident on July 18 has killed 36 people.

Hideaki Hatta on Friday pledged to continue making quality work with remaining members of the studio.

He said his heart aches when he thinks of the bereaved families, and he cannot rest even after three months.

Hatta thanked the public for their messages and donations to the company, saying they made him realize how many people Kyoto Animation had reached.

The president said 27 of the 33 injured staff have returned to work with the support of their colleagues, though many still suffer terrible stress.

Hatta emphasized that as a team of creators, Kyoto Animation will continue to reach people through its works, not by words.

Police have obtained an arrest warrant for 41-year-old Shinji Aoba, on suspicion of arson and murder.

When asked for his thoughts about the suspect, Hatta said he would like to ask him what he was thinking when he committed the act, as so many people either died, were injured or had their lives destroyed.

Stop posting inappropriate comments please.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I'm just happy that the perseverance and optimism is so strong in these people. Bless their souls, they're putting their dreams above everything and going back to working on what they loved even after such a horrible tragedy.
I couldn't agree more

Once again, the story updates:

https://soranews24.com/2019/11/15/k...ibute-its-3-2-billion-yen-in-arson-donations/

To quote:

On Tuesday, the first meeting of the donations' allocation committee was held in Kyoto. As previously announced, Kyoto Animation will not be using a single yen for business recovery activities, and will instead be channeling all of the money to victims and their families.

For surviving victims who were directly injured by the fire, Kyoto Animation has pledged that it will be providing their share of the donations in a single lump sum, as opposed to installments. However, the company will not be simply dividing the total donations by the number of affected employees and giving each recipient a uniform amount. Instead, it will be taking into consideration the specific circumstances of each individual. This process will include meeting with bereaved families, and taking into account the additional needs of households with children and/or in which the Kyoto Animation employee was the primary breadwinner, and are thus most adversely affected, financially speaking, by the employee's death or work-preventing injuries.

Though an encouragingly large number of injured Kyoto Animation employees have now returned to work, many remain unable to do so as a result of physical or mental issues, and the 36 who passed away will never do so. The road to emotional recovery is going to be a long and difficult one, but at least the generous effort of donors, and Kyoto Animation's humanitarian philosophy for distributing the money, will make it easier for victims and their families to pay the bills along the way.

Back