• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely good and somewhat bad news

No. Our discussion threads will be able to continue and continue and continue, as usual.

I mentioned this in my first post here in this thread.
Oh I didn't really understand the part. Must have been the infinity one, but I thought you meant secondary threads based on a subject. When will the change come?

Oh I didn't really understand the part. Must have been the infinity one, but I thought you meant secondary threads based on a subject. When will the change come?
All threads in the forum now will have a limit of 40 post per page instead of the current 100 post per page, after said limit is reached a new page begin like always.
The point is to raise some measure of compassion and interest from our visitors, and people in general unfortunately tend to be selective sociopaths when it comes to animal welfare. They care a lot about dogs and cats, and recurrently dolphins, but if we displayed an image featuring a pig and a cow, they likely wouldn't care if they are systematically tortured to death by the trillions, even though all sentient or at least sapient life is sacred in my view.

At least more people will visit the information page for our featured charity to receive further information.
I mean, I'm pretty sure various farm animals are also popular in general, and various of them are even sacred figures in religions (for example cows in a big country like India), so to say that people don't feel interest for those type of animals would be wrong. Although if the problem is people interest it could always be used an drawed/cartoon version of said animals to appeal better to people (by highlighting, for example, rabbits or small chickens cuteness), which I'm pretty sure is a normal practice used in marketing.

The point is that using domestic animals as a way to motivate people to pay for charity focused in farm animals, instead of domestic animals like what the image would suggest, feels like false advertising.

Mind using caption to the picture and link it to your own blog?
I don't understand this message.
The point is that using domestic animals as a way to motivate people to pay for charity focused in farm animals, instead of domestic animals like what the image would suggest, feels like false advertising.
Fair enough, but they do still contribute to causes relating to those animals.

While farm animals are more of a focus due to its cost-effectiveness in developed countries, some of the charities that fund provides its money to focus on general animal welfare in developing countries. On top of that, some of it goes towards animals in lab testing, which does involve domestic animals.

I don't understand this message.
A picture caption should be added and linked to the blog from Ant.

[Picture]
Caption: For more information, please visit here (here will be linked to the blog post)

I don't think that's really necessary. I don't want a separate call to action from going to the donation website.

How is that a risk trying to explain to the visitors and outsiders what's the context of the picture?

It would even refute the entire point of giving a message to community owners.

Unless you still don't understand what's picture caption I am referring to.

I think the necessary context is blatantly obvious and self-explanatory; we want you to donate to an animal-related charity.

We don't need to link them to Ant's personal story about how long he spent working on this project, what other options he considered, etc. That just detracts and distracts clicks by splitting them between two sources.

I imagine there'd be fewer donations if people expected that clicking on the caption would take them to donate, and it instead took them to Ant talking about the creation of the banner.

Then what was the point of creating the blog post? Repetition?

Besides, I believe it contains other donation sites as well..?

To explain to the more active users of the wiki, who don't see the forum as much, but are still invested in meta information like this, I guess? Perhaps to FANDOM staff in particular, or staff of other wikis?

EDIT: Since this seems to just be going in circles, I'm gonna stop responding to Dread about this, unless enough other people get on board with her idea.

Last edited:
You don't get notified when blog posts are created. Moreover, we have consistently used announcement notices and attempted to notify users about significant updates, as we did with the external forum move.

I still believe that providing a link beneath the picture is not a detrimental action, and I don't foresee any disruptions or disadvantages.

You are suggesting that adding an extra step might make him reconsider his decision. However, if someone genuinely intended to donate, the presence of a link and relevant information wouldn't deter them.

This is unless you can provide statistical and reliable evidence that having an additional step, like in this situation, would significantly decrease the number of donors.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but they do still contribute to causes relating to those animals.

While farm animals are more of a focus due to its cost-effectiveness in developed countries, some of the charities that fund provides its money to focus on general animal welfare in developing countries. On top of that, some of it goes towards animals in lab testing, which does involve domestic animals.
Fair enough I guess, still think that trying other option as image is better but I suppose the one currently used still works.
I imagine there'd be fewer donations if people expected that clicking on the caption would take them to donate, and it instead took them to Ant talking about the creation of the banner.
Yes, that would be the case, the fewer click users need to do the higher the chances of them reaching an aimed objetive, that's a good portion of the reason of why the development of pages/systems gets so optimized, to reduce the number of clicks. Besides, the whole background history is unnecessary as you said, it should only be used to inform the current users about the change.

I don't think this has been verified anywhere, but I will digress. Someone who is willing to donate and has the means to do so won't be bothered by a link that explains in depth what the situation is. Also, I don't believe Ant's blog only focuses on the development of the project; it provides additional information about other donations, which I still consider valuable to know.

Maybe I have a different technical point of view on this, but I have never encountered this situation as someone who is heavy charity donor who donates to Africa each year.

I mainly wanted to post my blog as preparation for the future, in case bureaucrats from other wikis need further information regarding how to avoid endorsing scams and inefficient charities, or if the official Fandom staff eventually decide to make a public announcement, or similar. I did not intend to make it instantly publicly visible, and risk distracting from the main important issue here.

However, since my blog post was brought up:

In case you know bureaucrats from other prominent wikis who are interested in following our example, you can give them the following link if you wish:

Last edited:
By the way, we do need help with formatting our front page properly, so our new advertisement image fits into different types of screens and viewing modes, so if somebody (including you, Dread) has good ideas in that regard, feel free to mention them.

I checked in three different devices with different dimensions:
  • PC (1200×1080 pixels - windows 10)
  • Tablet (2960x1848 pixels)
  • Phone (1440 x 3200 pixels)
  • Laptop [bonus] (1920 x 1080 pixels)
They all work sufficiently fine.

Last edited:
A question that did not cross my mind at the time: how will old links directing to specific thread pages work after the post limit is slashed?
I think that only the final page numbers after the slash (/) at the end of each main discussion thread link will change, not links to the threads as a whole or links to individual posts, but I will ask our forum system administrator. 🙏
Our system manager told me that this is correct. 🙏

The official Fandom staff gave me permission to inform the other Fandom Stars members about this issue, so I provided a link to my information blog.

40 posts per page doesn’t seem too bad at all to be honest, I’d even argue that it makes it easier to find specific posts.
I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes it felt like the forum pages would stretch for too long, especially if it was a debate with long replies from all people engaged. I don't know how many in the forums would agree, but from a user perspective it's a welcome change for me.

Hello.

This is just a note that I have tried to remove any egocentric nonsense from my blog post, so it has turned much more matter-of-fact informative, without redundancy.

This isn't about me or even the rest of our staff. It is about helping animals and hopefully making other prominent wikis interested in joining in.

In addition, I was told that it is better if I place our advertisement at the bottom of our front page instead, and add a brief information text, so I have done so now.

Constructive input would be very appreciated.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Welp, I prefer the prominence of it being at the top. But if FANDOM would consider not allowing it if it was at the top, then it is what it is.

Yes, and they also want an information text, which wouldn't work in terms of page organisation if placed at the top.

The current setup seems like a good way of satisfying those requirements.

I hope so, yes, and Kai-kun (our wiki representative) will see if he can improve on the formatting a bit further.

Yes, and they also want an information text, which wouldn't work in terms of page organisation if placed at the top.
This is exactly what I've been trying to say these days. Also, the current setup looks good.

I don't have a chance to view it on my PC, but the mobile version looks good.

Thank you. 🙏

Kai and I have tried to improve further on our front page layout for our advertisement image. What do everybody here think?

The image now feels a bit small, but if that's the optimal size for all platforms, I guess we'll just have to deal with it.

Our charity advertisement image is still 600px wide, but I can try to increase it to 650px and see what happens, if you wish.

I think it's because the image is now past where the elements on the right-hand-side of the page end.

Here's a screenshot showing what I mean.

So should we try to solve the problem through a larger image size, a centered image, both in combination, or something else?

Back