• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Cory says he was castrated, and here's the quote that lines up with the myth (where he did indeed cast Ouranos' genitalia into the Mediterranean).
  • Aphrodite had been born from the genitals of Ouranos, when his son Cronos —Zeus’s father—had ripped them from the elder god’s crotch and thrown them in the Mediterranean. The drops of blood had become the Furies—which to Athena had always made considerable sense—and the organ itself had been reborn as the infinitely desirable goddess. Being born from the sea foam, Aphrodite in one sense could be considered not to be part of the family at all, except by marriage—as she was wed to Athena’s brother Hephaestus. The goddess might be considered only Athena’s sister-in-law. However, she had also been born as the result of an act by Cronos, which in a sense made her a sister of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Which meant that she would be due considerably greater deference. Finally, she had actually been incarnated from the penis of Ouranos, Zeus’s grandfather, which made her Zeus’s aunt.
Ya got ninja'd

No, it's a bonus video from the GOW2 Bonus Disc. The book confirms this as well. GOW1 Novel Chapter 7.
No, you misunderstand me.

It was a one episode mini-series/short documentary style promotional video for GoW2 that came out before the game did.

It may have been included on the disc too, but I watched it back in 2007 shortly before God of War 2 came out, it was on the GameTrailers.com website, back when that was still a thing.

The mythology experts were speaking specifically from the perspective of the mythology itself and occasionally made commentary on how Greek mythology has been adapted to modern retellings. The GoW devs were there to give their take on how they adapted things in Gow1 and more specifically Gow2.

Cory never co-signed that mythos expert's (Dan Prather) mythology specific statement that Cronos was given a special weapon to do the deed.

Only that Cronos did indeed castrate his daddy.

Likewise, using the novel only strengthens that;

Chapter 7 excerpt- "
Aphrodite had been born from the genitals of Ouranos, when his son Cronos—Zeus’s father—had ripped them from the elder god’s crotch and thrown them in the Mediterranean. The drops of blood had become the Furies—which to Athena had always made considerable sense—and the organ itself had been reborn as the infinitely desirable goddess. Being born from the sea foam, Aphrodite in one sense could be considered not to be part of the family at all, except by marriage—as she was wed to Athena’s brother Hephaestus. The goddess might be considered only Athena’s sister-in-law.

However, she had also been born as the result of an act by Cronos, which in a sense made her a sister of Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Which meant that she would be due considerably greater deference.

Finally, she had actually been incarnated from the penis of Ouranos, Zeus’s grandfather, which made her Zeus’s aunt.

Aphrodite herself refused to clarify the complicated genealogy. For her part, Athena avoided the lust goddess whenever possible. Athena’s guile was markedly different from Aphrodite’s."

GOW1 and 2 manual states Zeus is Aphrodite's father, but that has since been retconned alongside Furies being birthed by Ouranos (Chaos ended up being their mother instead). Everything else stuck tho.
Even if we use the novel's description of the Cronos/Uranus battle, it specifically says Cronos ripped Uranus' genitals off and threw them in the sea. No mention of a bladed weapon cutting/lopping anything off.

Dan Prather's myth specific language in the documentary said "he was given a special sword and lopped off his member."

Big difference in language usage. Ripped off vs Lopped off.

GoW Cronos ripped his dad's junk off with his hands at the conclusion of their fight.

Myth Cronos was given a special bladed weapon and castrated Uranus with it.

We know Cronos had a sword thanks to the Ascension multiplayer but I agree, a lot of BTS comments refer to the myths specifically

We know Cronos had a sword thanks to the Ascension multiplayer but I agree, a lot of BTS comments refer to the myths specifically
There is a weapon called the cronos blade but we don't know if he ever actually wielded it. Since it says Cronos' chains were used in its construction.

Meaning he was already serving his sentence of holding up the temple while it was made.

Even if we use the novel's description of the Cronos/Uranus battle, it specifically says Cronos ripped Uranus' genitals off and threw them in the sea. No mention of a bladed weapon cutting/lopping anything off.

Dan Prather's myth specific language in the documentary said "he was given a special sword and lopped off his member."

Big difference in language usage. Ripped off vs Lopped off.
There is a move in GOW Ascension called "Scars of Uranus", associated with the Spear of Hyperion, the same spear forged by Hyperion himself that can bear the weight of the cosmos. Again, another slight retcon, but this thoroughly implies Cronos definitely used a weapon to geld Uranus.

GoW Cronos ripped his dad's junk off with his hands at the conclusion of their fight.
No. Refer to my response above.

Myth Cronos was given a special bladed weapon and castrated Uranus with it.
Said bladed weapon being referenced in GOW Ascension.

There's some random metal structures that should be higher than Poseidon and Hades
There are no metal structures of this caliber in the entire game save for Pandora's Box. Anything else is blatant game mechanics, and that includes the Blue Metal Onyx.

Majority of the myths got canonized thanks to the GOW3 Ultimate Guide which even references Hercules and Hera finally coming to a truce, Helios and Phaeton, and of course, the Gigantomachy. And of course, Hades being acknowledged as the Zeus of the Underworld because he becomes massively more powerful there. Standard procedure is that past events take place as per the IRL Greek Myths unless stated otherwise, otherwise the entire game would have massive loopholes.

There is a weapon called the cronos blade but we don't know if he ever actually wielded it. Since it says Cronos' chains were used in its construction.

Meaning he was already serving his sentence of holding up the temple while it was made.
That is not the weapon that references the Scars of Uranus. It is the Spear of Hyperion which does so.

There are no metal structures of this caliber in the entire game save for Pandora's Box. Anything else is blatant game mechanics, and that includes the Blue Metal Onyx.
No its mentioned in dialogue and stuff, plus the novels. Remember that iron door that kratos stated he couldn't break?

Colossus of Rhoades was animated by Zeus himself with nearly all of Kratos' former powers.

Kratos himself wrecked it after losing his powers.

Needless to say, metal structures aren't actually a challenge for Gods unless there's specific circumstances.

No its mentioned in dialogue and stuff, plus the novels. Remember that iron door that kratos stated he couldn't break?
Yeah, no. Plus, this was Kratos at his weakest.
  • The pair of doors near the end of the companionway were different from the others. Massively timbered and bound with black iron, they looked strong enough that even Kratos might have trouble breaking them down—and as he considered this, the blade chains began to warm, sparking with not-unpleasant stings. He drew one blade and pushed it toward the door before him. A brilliant shower of energy splashed over the door, and the blade never reached the timbers. The energy flickered longest around a deep slot in one timber—a lock. A magical lock. Kratos nodded to himself. So: a pair of doors not only strong as a fortress but sealed with magical bindings and mystic locks and who knew what else. What sort of “treasures” might a slave ship’s captain keep within such a vault? Something beyond tawdry gold must be secure behind this door. Whatever it was, it might prove useful.

Colossus of Rhoades was animated by Zeus himself with nearly all of Kratos' former powers.
And life-force.

Kratos himself wrecked it after losing his powers.
Kratos had literally no life-force left either, he drained those into the Blade as well.

Needless to say, metal structures aren't actually a challenge for Gods unless there's specific circumstances.
Pretty much.

That's Demigod Kratos, and it was related to the skull.

Yeah, no. Plus, this was Kratos at his weakest.
  • The pair of doors near the end of the companionway were different from the others. Massively timbered and bound with black iron, they looked strong enough that even Kratos might have trouble breaking them down—and as he considered this, the blade chains began to warm, sparking with not-unpleasant stings. He drew one blade and pushed it toward the door before him. A brilliant shower of energy splashed over the door, and the blade never reached the timbers. The energy flickered longest around a deep slot in one timber—a lock. A magical lock. Kratos nodded to himself. So: a pair of doors not only strong as a fortress but sealed with magical bindings and mystic locks and who knew what else. What sort of “treasures” might a slave ship’s captain keep within such a vault? Something beyond tawdry gold must be secure behind this door. Whatever it was, it might prove useful.
Yeah this is Demigod Kratos, he isn't Tier 2.

Majority of the myths got canonized thanks to the GOW3 Ultimate Guide which even references Hercules and Hera finally coming to a truce, Helios and Phaeton, and of course, the Gigantomachy. And of course, Hades being acknowledged as the Zeus of the Underworld because he becomes massively more powerful there. Standard procedure is that past events take place as per the IRL Greek Myths unless stated otherwise, otherwise the entire game would have massive loopholes.
Honestly I've read the guide and I take issue with it. Hercules' lore refers to him as Heracles for instance and it all feels like they just ripped the stories from the myths to give context to certain characters who get little to do. The Zeus of the Underworld thing never comes up in God of War canon proper for instance

Also, who even says that iron in GoW is as strong as IRL iron? We just assume that kind of stuff for calculation purposes.

There's lots of verses, like One Piece, where woods and metals are oddly stronger than they are IRL.

Kratos can do shit like this and this in Ascension. How would IRL iron stand a chance?

Honestly I've read the guide and I take issue with it. Hercules' lore refers to him as Heracles for instance
Actually, no, he is spelled out as Hercules in his bio section in the guide. Hera too.

and it all feels like they just ripped the stories from the myths to give context to certain characters who get little to do.
Athena's birth was changed to her having no mother in the GOW3 Guide whereas the Prima Guide makes clear mention of Metis. Helios and Phaeton's story also received changes from the Chains of Olympus guide.

The Zeus of the Underworld thing never comes up in God of War canon proper for instance
It is alluded to by Hades who repeatedly taunts Kratos saying he is in his domain now.

Actually, no, he is spelled out as Hercules in his bio section in the guide. Hera too.
No the entry talking about legends refers to him as Heracles, in his bio and in Hades' own
It is alluded to by Hades who repeatedly taunts Kratos saying he is in his domain now.
And that means, what exactly? Is Ares Zeus of the Dimension from I? Is Nyx the Zeus of the Realm of Night? No, the Zeus Cthonios thing was from a particular myth and was in reference to Hades ruling the Cthonc Gods, entities who don't exist in GOW the same way.

No the entry talking about legends refers to him as Heracles, in his bio and in Hades' own
Only the Cerberus section refers to him as Heracles. The Arrow portion about Sisyphus literally uses Hercules.

And that means, what exactly? Is Ares Zeus of the Dimension from I? Is Nyx the Zeus of the Realm of Night? No, the Zeus Cthonios thing was from a particular myth and was in reference to Hades ruling the Cthonc Gods, entities who don't exist in GOW the same way.
That's not what the Guidebook is referring to tho, right after that title mention, it talks about how Hades' power within the Underworld was absolute and how very few gods would actually dare to enter the Underworld while Hades was around.

There is a move in GOW Ascension called "Scars of Uranus", associated with the Spear of Hyperion, the same spear forged by Hyperion himself that can bear the weight of the cosmos. Again, another slight retcon, but this thoroughly implies Cronos definitely used a weapon to geld Uranus.
I am well aware. I am the one that put that weapon scan up on the net to begin with when I was playing Ascension and taking screenshots years back.

And that has nothing to do with Cronos.

It was Hyperion's spear and we don't know how or if it was ever put to use against Uranus. The move name is just that. A move name.

For now, we have absolutely no special weapon assigned to Cronos that he used. Using an unrelated weapon belonging to Cronos' brother to speculate about Cronos is just that. Speculation.

Bruno's words on twitter (I was also the one that asked him the question years ago) described the Uranus/Cronos fight as looking like a mix of the Primordial War (which was a cosmic scale fist fight) and the Titanomachy (in which Cronos and the other titans were shown using their fists only to fight), so again, the evidence is only that Cronos used his fists against his daddy.

And the novel scan also shows that he physically ripped Uranus' genitals off. No weapon was described in possession and no use of words like slashing/cutting/lopping were used in conjunction with the castration act to imply a blade was involved.

Said bladed weapon being referenced in GOW Ascension.
Except it wasn't.

Dan Prather, (the myth expert who has nothing to do with GoW) whose words are being used to justify that Cronos used a weapon against Uranus in the series, specifically said a 'special sword' was used against Uranus. So naturally that automatically disqualifies The Spear of Hyperion being that it was a spear. Besides the aforementioned fact that its associated with Hyperion and not Cronos.

And the only special sword associated with Cronos is the Cronos Blade, which we KNOW couldn't have been used against Uranus because it was forged after the Titanomachy.

So using the novel description, the visual of the Primordial war, the visual of the Titanomachy, and Bruno's words on Twitter making reference to both when describing their fight, we can safely conclude for now that Cronos used only his fists against Uranus.

Only the Cerberus section refers to him as Heracles. The Arrow portion about Sisyphus literally uses Hercules.
Point remains though, the Guide refers to myths outright that we have no frame of reference for in the actual series (like Herakles wounding Hades in battle)
That's not what the Guidebook is referring to tho, right after that title mention, it talks about how Hades' power within the Underworld was absolute and how very few gods would actually dare to enter the Underworld while Hades was around.
And that refers to anything but specifically being one of the strongest Olympians? Consulting the scaling chain, he's top four in the Greek Pantheon, meaning you don't need any more abstract titles to push Hades as being that strong. And again, that's not what the Zeus of the Underworld title is about anyway

Speaking of that, it's stated outright on multiple occasions that the sea is Poseidon's domain where Zeus doesn't interfere out of respect.
  • Zeus’s frown of puzzlement darkened toward a scowl of distaste. “Setting that creature on Kratos without my permission smacks of willfulness on the part of your brother, but there is little I can do to help Kratos. The sea is the kingdom of my brother Poseidon. To even so much as strike the creature dead with my thunderbolt would be an insult to his sovereignty—and Poseidon is sensitive about his dignity, as I’m sure you recall.”
The oceans explicitly encompass 2/3rds of the infinite planet.
  • “My lord uncle, please!” Athena cried. “Let not your wrath fall upon him directly! There is no shame in being bested by great Poseidon, ruler of two-thirds of all that is. No lesser god can hope to stand against any of the brother kings. If you truly want to punish Ares, you must smite his pride.”
Previously, Oceanus, who was the weakest of the Titans, and his children explicitly controlled (as in directly manipulated) all the water on Earth. At that time, he was powerful enough that Poseidon had some trouble overthrowing him and his kids.
  • “Not Kratos,” said Poseidon. “Oceanus. The Titans become bolder. He thinks to regain transcendence over my realm.” “You are unable to fight him? A Titan who has been stripped of power and discredited for so long? You are no brother of mine if you cannot chase him away, back to the dark realms of Tartarus. Oceanus,” Zeus said, snorting in contempt. “He was the least of the Titans.” He turned dark as he added, “Unlike Cronos.”
  • “I did best Oceanus,” Poseidon said thoughtfully. “That was an epic battle and saved Zeus from having to deal with a Titan controlling the waters that girdled the earth.” Iris looked at him askance. “Yes, this must be why Zeus said such a thing about me,” Poseidon went on, puffing himself up. “Oceanus was not easily vanquished. He had three thousand offspring! I had to bring every river and lake under my domination to defeat the Titans. Still,” he said, running fingers through his seaweed beard, “I find it odd that Zeus would trust me so when there are others …”
So, isn't that (much to my chagrin) Infinite lifting strength?

Plus, the Primordials' bodies made the oceans, and they can **** each other up.

Last edited:
I am well aware. I am the one that put that weapon scan up on the net to begin with when I was playing Ascension and taking screenshots years back.

And that has nothing to do with Cronos.

It was Hyperion's spear and we don't know how or if it was ever put to use against Uranus. The move name is just that. A move name.
It's the name of the move that is the reference, not the weapon itself.

For now, we have absolutely no special weapon assigned to Cronos that he used. Using an unrelated weapon belonging to Cronos' brother to speculate about Cronos is just that. Speculation.
It's just a reference to the wounds that killed Uranus, that's all.

Bruno's words on twitter (I was also the one that asked him the question years ago) described the Uranus/Cronos fight as looking like a mix of the Primordial War (which was a cosmic scale fist fight) and the Titanomachy (in which Cronos and the other titans were shown using their fists only to fight), so again, the evidence is only that Cronos used his fists against his daddy.

And the novel scan also shows that he physically ripped Uranus' genitals off. No weapon was described in possession and no use of words like slashing/cutting/lopping were used in conjunction with the castration act to imply a blade was involved.
Again, Cory himself states that Cronos castrated Cronos, even showing the slicing hand gesture.

Except it wasn't.

Dan Prather, (the myth expert who has nothing to do with GoW) whose words are being used to justify that Cronos used a weapon against Uranus in the series, specifically said a 'special sword' was used against Uranus. So naturally that automatically disqualifies The Spear of Hyperion being that it was a spear. Besides the aforementioned fact that its associated with Hyperion and not Cronos.
Again, I never stated that a spear was involved, just that one of the spear's moves references the killing wounds landed on Uranus.

And the only special sword associated with Cronos is the Cronos Blade, which we KNOW couldn't have been used against Uranus because it was forged after the Titanomachy.
Again, not the blade involved in this.

So using the novel description, the visual of the Primordial war, the visual of the Titanomachy, and Bruno's words on Twitter making reference to both when describing their fight, we can safely conclude for now that Cronos used only his fists against Uranus.
Not the Titanomachy, weapons were definitely used there. And a lot of magic.

Point remains though, the Guide refers to myths outright that we have no frame of reference for in the actual series (like Herakles wounding Hades in battle)
One small issue, Hercules wasn't stated to be in battle with Hades, he shot him from who-knows-where with an arrow straight down to the Underworld via some crack or whatnot.

And that refers to anything but specifically being one of the strongest Olympians? Consulting the scaling chain, he's top four in the Greek Pantheon, meaning you don't need any more abstract titles to push Hades as being that strong. And again, that's not what the Zeus of the Underworld title is about anyway
You're right, that's not what the title is about. The title is more so about Empowerment. Not that it'd change the scaling anyway.

Speaking of that, it's stated outright on multiple occasions that the sea is Poseidon's domain where Zeus doesn't interfere out of respect.
  • Zeus’s frown of puzzlement darkened toward a scowl of distaste. “Setting that creature on Kratos without my permission smacks of willfulness on the part of your brother, but there is little I can do to help Kratos. The sea is the kingdom of my brother Poseidon. To even so much as strike the creature dead with my thunderbolt would be an insult to his sovereignty—and Poseidon is sensitive about his dignity, as I’m sure you recall.”
The oceans explicitly encompass 2/3rds of the infinite planet.
  • “My lord uncle, please!” Athena cried. “Let not your wrath fall upon him directly! There is no shame in being bested by great Poseidon, ruler of two-thirds of all that is. No lesser god can hope to stand against any of the brother kings. If you truly want to punish Ares, you must smite his pride.”
Previously, Oceanus, who was the weakest of the Titans, and his children explicitly controlled (as in directly manipulated) all the water on Earth. At that time, he was powerful enough that Poseidon had some trouble overthrowing him and his kids.
  • “Not Kratos,” said Poseidon. “Oceanus. The Titans become bolder. He thinks to regain transcendence over my realm.” “You are unable to fight him? A Titan who has been stripped of power and discredited for so long? You are no brother of mine if you cannot chase him away, back to the dark realms of Tartarus. Oceanus,” Zeus said, snorting in contempt. “He was the least of the Titans.” He turned dark as he added, “Unlike Cronos.”
  • “I did best Oceanus,” Poseidon said thoughtfully. “That was an epic battle and saved Zeus from having to deal with a Titan controlling the waters that girdled the earth.” Iris looked at him askance. “Yes, this must be why Zeus said such a thing about me,” Poseidon went on, puffing himself up. “Oceanus was not easily vanquished. He had three thousand offspring! I had to bring every river and lake under my domination to defeat the Titans. Still,” he said, running fingers through his seaweed beard, “I find it odd that Zeus would trust me so when there are others …”
So, isn't that (much to my chagrin) Infinite lifting strength?
Yeah I was always kind of baffled why Poseidon remained at Unknown for so long when we know he has stuff like this and easily holds his own against Gaia with his own Hippocampi, which I should note, are merely extensions of his water body self AKA his own body parts.

Plus, the Primordials' bodies made the oceans.
Ceto's the Ocean Primordial, she even punched the universe out of Uranus's face.

One small issue, Hercules wasn't stated to be in battle with Hades, he shot him from who-knows-where with an arrow straight down to the Underworld via some crack or whatnot.
Yes that's what I'm referring to, the arrow thing only occurs in the battle I'm referring to. There is no other instance in mythology where Hades gets shot
You're right, that's not what the title is about. The title is more so about Empowerment. Not that it'd change the scaling anyway.
What in the guide implies that's what the title denotes?

novel says ares gave kratos near olympian strength
I don't care enough to revise pre chains of Olympus kratos tier so i let this up to yall

Back