• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

My theory on Surtr is that he could never forge a blade that could contain his power or find a blade that was capable of containing his power. That's why you can see piles of broken and burnt swords around him in some of the gameplays. The Blades of Chaos are gonna be the only thing capable of doing so.

Not sure how true this is but someone said Thor admits that Younger Kratos would have beat him faster, after he loses to Kratos in their final fight.

Also
a final mural seems to hint that Kratos ends up becoming the benevolent king of all the realms in the future. This really might be the final game Kratos stars in with this info...Atreus goes off searching for the remaining Giants, and he might be the one that ends up pantheon hopping in the future while Kratos stays put in the Norse realms.

8c4cb013-91de-4a20-9a67-f2391a4c25a5

That doesn't literally mean omnipresent, more so that his influence can be felt everywhere in the Norse world, despite his lack of personal appearance.

Barlog: Right [laughs]. But yeah, it is a consistent single universe. As we start to look at these things, there’s little bits, here and there, that let you know. Like, Tyr, had connections to a lot of other pantheons. And there is reference, in Norse mythology, of gods interacting with Roman gods. It’s very small, it’s very minimal, in their connections, but it shows that there was an awareness. And whether that awareness was post-the time where they were moving the pagans away from the pagan religion by having the mythology slightly modified, to kind of move towards Christian religion… I think it is fascinating to imagine that at all times, there [are] these connections to every one of these locations.

Yeah Bruno did say that Thor can fight with Poseidon's Hippocampi in a Tweet.

I think he can take Poseidon, as long as he doesn't get deconstructed
I've always imagined Thor was at least right up there with Poseidon and Hades in AP
Maybe he was weakened by the axe wound because it was Eitr imbued?
Possibly, it could be Eitr can negate Aesir Healing?
Wonder wich mythology Kratos is going to beat the brakes off after he's done with the nordic. My dude is officialy even worse than a Persona Protagonist.
Prolly Egypt, it was the original plan before they did the Norse series (plans changed thanks to AC: Origins) and they've long hinted towards that mythology with stuff like Fallen God and 2018. I'd personally love to see them do the Aztec or even Gaelic faiths though myself (Kratos vs Cu Chullain or the Morrigan is sick)
Don't know if this has been posted here yet but here's an hour-long post-story midgard gameplay. Some things to note are Mimir talking about Hel, Jormungandr hating Thor is actually because Mimir thinks Atreus used soul magic to put a giant's spirit into it after learning soul magic in Asgard, a full fight against the Valkyrie replacements who are known as Berzerkers, Kratos and Freya having conversations that strengthen their bond, the female dwarf who replaces Brok telling Kratos about a funeral for Brok that is a sidequest in Swartlfheim. EDIT: coincidentally the same person is streaming some more of post-game ragnarok right now
Wait so are Freya and Kratos friends going forward or is there some romantic undercurrent? IDK if I'm fond of the latter idea

I never denied that he sealed them (though, at the same time isn't confirmed anywhere to my knowledge).
TBH I've long felt it's him interfering with the Bifrost but I could be wrong. Also is anyone else not feeling Heimdall's design?

I've always imagined Thor was at least right up there with Poseidon and Hades in AP
Yeah me too. Dunno know if he could beat them tho. Maybe Poseidon, but Hades might be a little to haxxed for him
Possibly, it could be Eitr can negate Aesir Healing?
Likely, but I feel like this will be ignored lol
Prolly Egypt, it was the original plan before they did the Norse series (plans changed thanks to AC: Origins) and they've long hinted towards that mythology with stuff like Fallen God and 2018. I'd personally love to see them do the Aztec or even Gaelic faiths though myself (Kratos vs Cu Chullain or the Morrigan is sick
Yeah most likely Egypt. One thing I want know is how many creatures come from Egyptian Mythology aside from deities and figures? That's the one problem. Who would Kratos fight? Other than that there's plenty of story and boss material. Aztec gods would be a great fit as well, due to how violent they were.
Wait so are Freya and Kratos friends going forward or is there some romantic undercurrent? IDK if I'm fond of the latter idea
I've always liked the idea of Freya being a love interest. Well Kratos killed her son, but but time can heal and if he'll stay with her for years, she'll warm up to him
Also is anyone else not feeling Heimdall's design?

No he looks 15. I honestly don't like any of the Aesir designs, except for Thor, he's grown on me. I hate this "Grounded" bullshit, and then they'll turn around and throw a Talking squirrel in the game lol. The fanart I've seen looks so much better.

Odin too, although I kinda like him, but I would have had him appear as a sickly old man, or as he already is, for most of the game, and by the time you fight him, he shapeshifts into being 8 feet tall, Jacked as hell, really long hair, and clad in golden armor, looking kinda like marvel Odin, basically.

I expected him to look really ******* cool when he was apparently the hardest character to design, and that was why he never showed up in 2018.

Poseidon clears the whole series in terms of design

Yeah me too. Dunno know if he could beat them tho. Maybe Poseidon, but Hades might be a little to haxxed for him
Honestly I think both hax stomp him unless he has resistances, like let my man resist everything we have lmao.
Likely, but I feel like this will be ignored lol
Possibly, it feels specifically there tho
Yeah most likely Egypt. One thing I want know is how many creatures come from Egyptian Mythology aside from deities and figures? That's the one problem. Who would Kratos fight? Other than that there's plenty of story and boss material. Aztec gods would be a great fit as well, due to how violent they were.
There's Ammit and the Sphinx but many need to be invented, which to be fair, both pantheons have engaged in. Like Wulvers aren't from Norse myth, Nor are the Ancients. Aztecs would be sick tho, characters like Quetzalcoatal have incredibly potential
I've always liked the idea of Freya being a love interest. Well Kratos killed her son, but but time can heal and if he'll stay with her for years, she'll warm up to him

True, just feels kinda weird my man kills her son then hits her up later.
No he looks 15. I honestly don't like any of the Aesir designs, except for Thor, he's grown on me. I hate this "Grounded" bullshit, and then they'll turn around and throw a Talking squirrel in the game lol. The fanart I've seen looks so much better.

Odin too, although I kinda like him, but I would have had him appear as a sickly old man, or as he already is, for most of the game, and by the time you fight him, he shapeshifts into being 8 feet tall, Jacked as hell, really long hair, and clad in golden armor, looking kinda like marvel Odin, basically.

I expected him to look really ******* cool when he was apparently the hardest character to design, and that was why he never showed up in 2018.

Poseidon clears the whole series in terms of design
Like I can buy the age, it's clear he's meant to be a foil to Atreus so him being younger makes sense. What I hate tho is he could be basically any other character and it'd work still. There's no real hints of his mythic history there and I wish there were more traits of that in his outward appearance worked in to his design (Like the Gyjallahorn). Thor's cool tho and I love the designs for the other Aesir, really only him and Odin are kinda mid. Like Odin plays up the "old man paranoid" vibe but he's way too simple for someone as hard to design as he was and there's not much to him

I kinda wish Odin was a mix of Slave Knight Gael (old, hooded man who's hunched and appears weak but is also incredibly tall and imposing) with a bit of Ian Mcshane's or even the Odin we see in Vikings (Like the black fur cloak with a black hood, only being able to make out the beard and gleaming eye). Then again, I kinda feel Schiff is miscast based off what I've seen, I'd have personally cast someone like Robert Englund here

Honestly I think both hax stomp him unless he has resistances, like let my man resist everything we have lmao.
If Thor can manage to dodge Poseidon's lightning and not get deconstructed he could do ok. Hades just soul rips and calls it a day.
There's Ammit and the Sphinx but many need to be invented, which to be fair, both pantheons have engaged in. Like Wulvers aren't from Norse myth, Nor are the Ancients.
Yeah, they got to be creative, which I'm sure they'd Excel in. Also by the time Kratos goes to Egypt, I think they should bring back his GOW3 arsenal. With new weapons of course. Along with the wings of Icarus, and boots of Hermes (which would actually work better this time around with the fixed camera)

And ditch all the RPG grindey bullshit, and have armor work like in Ghost of Tsushima, or be purely cosmetic.
Aztecs would be sick tho, characters like Quetzalcoatal have incredibly potential
And they have plenty of creatures to fight from what I've heard. Cool weapons too
True, just feels kinda weird my man kills her son then hits her up later
Just make a new one
Like I can buy the age, it's clear he's meant to be a foil to Atreus so him being younger makes sense. What I hate tho is he could be basically any other character and it'd work still. There's no real hints of his mythic history there and I wish there were more traits of that in his outward appearance worked in to his design (Like the Gyjallahorn). Thor's cool tho and I love the designs for the other Aesir, really only him and Odin are kinda mid. Like Odin plays up the "old man paranoid" vibe but he's way too simple for someone as hard to design as he was and there's not much to him
Yeah him being younger does make sense now that you've mentioned it. He's basically just Hermes 2.0. He looks like a beardless Baldur. I understand that they probably didn't want to go Zeus 2.0 with Odin as he's typically depicted, but all that hype for this? Lol. I do love his performance tho. He for some reason reminds of Edgar Ross from The first Red Dead Redemption
I kinda wish Odin was a mix of Slave Knight Gael (old, hooded man who's hunched and appears weak but is also incredibly tall and imposing) with a bit of Ian Mcshane's or even the Odin we see in Vikings (Like the black fur cloak with a black hood, only being able to make out the beard and gleaming eye)
Exactly. Vikings Odin was sick.

Then again, I kinda feel Schiff is miscast based off what I've seen, I'd have personally cast someone like Robert Englund here
Richard Schiff's performance is great. The final boss lines are a little off, but that's just me. Robert Englund would have been great. I loved his Scarecrow in Injustice 2

Poseidon clears the whole series in terms of design[/ISPOILER]
I kinda wish Odin was a mix of Slave Knight Gael (old, hooded man who's hunched and appears weak but is also incredibly tall and imposing) with a bit of Ian Mcshane's or even the Odin we see in Vikings (Like the black fur cloak with a black hood, only being able to make out the beard and gleaming eye). Then again, I kinda feel Schiff is miscast based off what I've seen, I'd have personally cast someone like Robert Englund here
Yeah him being younger does make sense now that you've mentioned it. He's basically just Hermes 2.0. He looks like a beardless Baldur. I understand that they probably didn't want to go Zeus 2.0 with Odin as he's typically depicted, but all that hype for this? Lol. I do love his performance tho. He for some reason reminds of Edgar Ross from The first Red Dead Redemption

Exactly. Vikings Odin was sick.
I mean what do you guys expected? SMS isn't similar to those Japanese devs like Fromsoftware that can pulled out some of ultimate badassery fantasy and anime bs designs

This also why west devs aren't great in term of handling the myth/legend/history aesthetic and design, they focused on realistict which hit and miss
Heck, even grounded design by term of east devs are surpassing what west devs capable do

I mean what do you guys expected? SMS isn't similar to those Japanese devs like Fromsoftware that can pulled out some of ultimate badassery fantasy and anime bs designs

This also why west devs aren't great in term of handling the myth/legend/history aesthetic and design, they focused on realistict which hit and miss
Heck, even grounded design by term of east devs are surpassing what west devs capable do
I'd disagree, even the grounded Norse aesthetic has designs that looks a lot more interesting and fitting them Heimdall's. That's ignoring the older GOW games which showed much more incredible designs and aesthetics

Most of GoW Ragnarok god designs look pretty bland and generic. Like, what happened? God of War used to be an artistic treat. In my opinion, Olympians from original saga mop the floor with everyone in the Norse saga design wise.

Back