• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General DC Comics Discussion Thread

The Spectre has 2A , 1C and 1A feats from Jm Demattis stories and cosmology. Normally he is more of a 2C - 2A character .

The current profile is good imo
I dunno about 2A and 1C tbh. Normally, he is performing below Tier 2. Rather than a concrete rating something like Varies upto 2A suits him better tbh. Removing the whole "Earth Sorcerers amp" bullshit too. Since, contextually it was more of a downgrade compared to the power at his disposal during point of time.

Okay, that seems like even more unspecific and hyperbolic flowery language in order to make the story more exciting.

Yes, it is too unspecific, and a very knowledgeable member already revised our Spectre page a few years ago. It is likely mostly acceptable as it is.

Because there is no evidence or context whatsoever connected to it, and because western superhero stories traditionally often use the storytelling technique of very extreme flowery language in order to make impressionable reader more interested.

Honestly? Lex might be supergenjus pretty consistently. I remember how he developed a weapon to strip away Swamp Thing's connection to the green in ten minutes

Honestly? Lex might be supergenjus pretty consistently. I remember how he developed a weapon to strip away Swamp Thing's connection to the green in ten minutes
This is not as impressive as it may suggest at first glance. He had prep in that he read the Floronic Man's paper on how the kingdom's of life (in this case, The Green) connect to one's consciousness.

Lex did not strip Swamp Thing from The Green. He scrambled his consciousness so that he couldn't body hop. In a panic, Swamp Thing jumped outside the planet.

Because there is no evidence or context whatsoever connected to it, and because western superhero stories traditionally often use the storytelling technique of very extreme flowery language in order to make impressionable reader more interested.
For support Phantom Stranger was stated to have limitless power- https://media.discordapp.net/attach...18-54-44_572064f74bd5f9fa804b05334aa4f912.jpg

First of, I am not sure what the first scan is supposed to be from? An article? Using a tiny crop with no citations is just weird. The second scan is clearly talking about his powers and its not even definitive just "maybe without limit". Not sure what you're expecting to get from these.

First of, I am not sure what the first scan is supposed to be from? An article? Using a tiny crop with no citations is just weird.
The second scan is clearly talking about his powers
Yes and so am I.
and its not even definitive just "maybe without limit".
That's why I gave the first scan which is more definitive

Yes and so am I.

That's why I gave the first scan which is more definitive
So, your proof is a blurb. 🗿

Phantom stranger has literally zero feats on par with Spectre even according to Jm demattis stories and cosmology. He got effortlessly steam rolled by unbound spectre in days of vengeance.
That's Post-Crisis. In Post-Flashpoint PS matched Spectre more than once.

Hmm. Maybe "At least Extraordinary Genius" for Lex and "Extraordinary Genius" for Batman then? Or should Lex also just get a regular "Extraordinary Genius" rating, with him sometimes holding his own against Brainiac or TBWL being considered as plot-induced stupidity?
I personally think "possibly" is the way to go, but I am not against that
We still need well-considered input regarding this issue.

That's Post-Crisis. In Post-Flashpoint PS matched Spectre more than once.
"Matched" or "didn't immediately get killed in a confrontation?" Fighting someone for a few panels without dying doesn't scale you to them.

If you have feats, post feats, instead of relying on non-evidence like a blurb from DC's website written by some intern.

"Matched" or "didn't immediately get killed in a confrontation?" Fighting someone for a few panels without dying doesn't scale you to them.
Matched, Phantom Stranger clearly tanked a lot of hits from Spectre and also hurt Spectre back. He has also made Spectre bleed- https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/946141853504385144/1070361154431496323/image0.jpg

If you have feats, post feats, instead of relying on non-evidence like a blurb from DC's website written by some intern.
The blurb is from DC's official website and supported by a guidebook. I don't see the problem with using it.

As for feats, I already mentioned it, he threatened all creation along with Spectre.

The blurb is from DC's official website and supported by a guidebook. I don't see the problem with using it.
DC's website is not canon material, guidebooks are shaky at best, and even if it were a statement from an actual comic or character, the phrase "may be without limit" or "limitless power" is not tierable. It doesn't matter if you "don't see the problem with using it." It isn't usable at all.

Matched, Phantom Stranger clearly tanked a lot of hits from Spectre and also hurt Spectre back.
It seems fine to scale the Post-Flashpoint version of the Phantom Stranger from The Spectre then.
I would hold off. I read that comic run and I strongly got the impression that Stranger is a lot weaker than Spectre. I'll review it to see what the circumstances were and if there are any more clear comparisons of their power.

As for feats, I already mentioned it, he threatened all creation along with Spectre.
"Threatening" is not a feat. The Voice saying "all of creation might pay the price" is not tierable. Focus on actual feats and clear statements, not wanking vague non-evidence.

Well, I also recall the post-Flashpoint version of The Phantom Stranger matching The Spectre blow for blow in a fight penned by J.M. DeMatteis. That said, The Spectre goes up and down in power an awful lot.

Well, I also recall the post-Flashpoint version of The Phantom Stranger matching The Spectre blow for blow in a fight penned by J.M. DeMatteis. That said, The Spectre goes up and down in power an awful lot.
That's true. I actually looked at their profiles and it turns out Post Flashpoint Stranger is already scaled to Jim Corrigan for that fight, so there's nothing that needs to be done for that. Both of them scale to Post-Flashpoint Superman but otherwise don't have any significant feats during that era.

DC's website is not canon material
Why so? Why wouldn't an official website be canon?
guidebooks are shaky at best
The wiki accepts them, that's all that matters.
and even if it were a statement from an actual comic or character, the phrase "may be without limit" or "limitless power" is not tierable.
Infinite power is High 3-A.
Threatening" is not a feat.
Again, by threatening I meant the "all creation might pay the price" thing.
The Voice saying "all of creation might pay the price" is not tierable
Why? It literally means all of creation would be destroyed. All of creation is a universe at the very least, but it has more consistently been used to refer to the Orrery(Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #2). Either way however, it's a Uni+-Multi+ feat.

That's true. I actually looked at their profiles and it turns out Post Flashpoint Stranger is already scaled to Jim Corrigan for that fight, so there's nothing that needs to be done for that. Both of them scale to Post-Flashpoint Superman but otherwise don't have any significant feats during that era.
Isn't Post-Flashpoint Superman getting upgraded to Tier 2? If so, that would upgrade Spectre and PS, though scaling them to Superman is kek

Why so? Why wouldn't an official website be canon?
The wiki accepts them, that's all that matters.
Infinite power is High 3-A.
Promotional blurbs in the description of a comic on a website aren't actual comic book material written by authors. The wiki accepts guidebook statements for clarifying information and supporting evidence, but something vague like "power may be limitless" is unusable. Infinite power is not High 3-A without context to support it. There are numerous profiles on the wiki with statements of infinite power that are not H3-A. Focus on feats, and tangible evidence.

Again, by threatening I meant the "all creation might pay the price" thing.
Why? It literally means all of creation would be destroyed.
Either way however, it's a Uni+-Multi+ feat.

Yeah, and that's a nothing-burger as well. If he had said "all of creation will be destroyed" that would mean all of creation would be destroyed. Saying "may pay the price" is too vague to be usable, and even if he had said something more definite, it would only be supporting evidence that would need a concrete feat. Statements are not feats, feats are actual actions with tangible results.

Isn't Post-Flashpoint Superman getting upgraded to Tier 2?
No. The ongoing Heralds discussion doesn't apply to New-52, only Rebirth. The scaling for Superrman to these two characters comes from N52. Also, the thread hasn't even remotely reached a consensus yet, so I don't know why you're assuming it will be accepted.

Promotional blurbs in the description of a comic on a website aren't actual comic book material written by authors
Guidebooks aren't comic book material written by authors either, yet they are accepted. Not everything has to be written by authors in comic books, it just has to be official.
The wiki accepts guidebook statements for clarifying information and supporting evidence, but something vague like "power may be limitless" is unusable.
This is wrong. WOG is only used for clarification and support, but guidebooks can be used by themselves as long as the source material doesn't contradict.
Yeah, and that's a nothing-burger as well. If he had said "all of creation will be destroyed" that would mean all of creation would be destroyed. Saying "may pay the price" is too vague to be usable, and even if he had said something more definite, it would only be supporting evidence that would need a concrete feat. Statements are not feats, feats are actual actions with tangible results.
What other interpretation could "may pay the price" refer to? And statements can be used by themselves as long as it's stated by a reliable source, which The Presence is- https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/S...racter CAN be upgraded by word of mouth alone.
No. The ongoing Heralds discussion doesn't apply to New-52, only Rebirth. The scaling for Superrman to these two characters comes from N52.
No, the Phantom Stranger survived attacks from Rebirth Supes.

Back