• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Game of Thrones & A Song of Ice and Fire General Discussion

I don't know why this user keeps changing the speed of the dragons from just Hypersonic to "Hypersonic flight speed and reactions" when it's pointless, since the flight, combat and attack speed of the dragons is comparable
Yes, and the speed of combat and reaction is necessarily comparable

I just discovered a problem in the scaling of A Song of Ice and Fire's characters.

Gregor Clegane is street level, 3000 joules to be a bit more precise, by crushing Oberyn's skull with a single punch. Thanks to this feat most characters also have this AP via scaling, which also includes durability logically.

And that is the problem. If Oberyn's skull was crushed by Gregor, that means he doesn't have durability that can tank attacks close to 3000 joules of energy. It might just downgrade Oberyn Martell to Athlete level or Street level baseline, but it wouldn't make sense for a renowned warrior like him to be hundreds of times physically weaker than most warriors in Westeros.

What to do in this case ?

Prime Robert, Thoros, and to a lesser degree Stannis all have baseless AP justifications.
For Thoros I guess he could downscale from the bear Wight, which knocked Jon and Tormund with one blow, since he withstood being tackled by it and was able to restrain it for a few moments. For the others, if I remember correctly Melisandre stated that Gendry was strong because of his Baratheon blood, who can fight against Wights, I don't know if that's enough to scale Stannis and Robert to him though

For the others, if I remember correctly Melisandre stated that Gendry was strong because of his Baratheon blood, who can fight against Wights, I don't know if that's enough to scale Stannis and Robert to him though
Definitely not, and didn’t she say that because Baratheon blood is king’s blood?

Could someone help me clarify this scaling ?
I thought about considering Gregor Clegane's feat as an outlier, but I would like to read your opinions.
From what I understood the main problem is that Oberyn would be like 10 times weaker than the other ASOIAF characters because he wouldn't scale to Gregor's 3000 Joules and would just be baseline 9-C at 300 Joules. I don't think there's any issue with that honestly, things like that happen in fiction all the time, for example in GoT Arya is 9-B+ while Stannis is just 9-C, tens of thousands times stronger than him lmao

I wouldn't say it's exactly that number, but it's probably pretty close (possibly fewer)
fewer, i took the absolute max interpretation of them

north = 45K
Riverlands = 45K
Vale = 45K give or take
the Crownlands = 10,000 to 15,000
Stormlands = 30K give or take
Dorne = around 45K
Iron islands = 20K
Reach = 80K to 100K
westerland = 50K (though this includes green boys as well, and depleted many castle garrisons)

Last edited:
I don't think there's any issue with that honestly, things like that happen in fiction all the time, for example in GoT Arya is 9-B+ while Stannis is just 9-C, tens of thousands times stronger than him lmao
Seems weird but okay.

On the other hand I discovered a feat, in the fight Oberyn intercepted a blow from the Mountain with his shield:
Oberyn slipped the first blow and let go of the spear, useless now that Ser Gregor was inside it. The second cut the Dornishman caught on his shield.
Does this count as scaling?

From what I understood the main problem is that Oberyn would be like 10 times weaker than the other ASOIAF characters because he wouldn't scale to Gregor's 3000 Joules and would just be baseline 9-C at 300 Joules. I don't think there's any issue with that honestly, things like that happen in fiction all the time, for example in GoT Arya is 9-B+ while Stannis is just 9-C, tens of thousands times stronger than him lmao
Come to think of it, Show Stannis isn't known to be a great fighter like Book Oberyn was, so for the latter it makes less sense.

@LordTracer What do you think ?

My only complaint is that this is happening before the Conquest show.

I want live action Visenya 😤

I always wondered if Drogon's fire breath could scale from this calc, considering that he burned down a lot of the houses in King's Landing

Another question, would it be fine to assume that a large dragon like Vhagar is at least comparable to smaller dragons like Rhaegal or Viserion regarding AP?

Back